Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Forgot how dope Dark Knight was. Amazing film. Def better than Dark Knight Rises

Just had to mention a movie that has gone under the radar for 2012.

Arbitrage.

Brit Marling, who is the sole reason I knew this released in 2012, is definitely someone to keep an eye out for.

Last edited:
No one wants to see Django with me :smh:...I'm off tomorrow about to go buy myself tomorrow at 11:30 since I'm off and the first showing is $5 at this theater :lol:

Life of Pi in 3D was phenomenal, by the way. I highly recommend it.

Funny in spots you wouldn't expect, just a tad slow towards the middle but that's okay. It felt like Cast Away with a Tiger as Wilson. And if Wilson posed a threat to Tom Hanks' life. :lol:

Suraj Sharma played a brilliant lead character. He should receive a nomination or two for Outstanding Male in a Lead Role. Pretty much was a film held up by one person.

Last edited:
Just had to mention a movie that has gone under the radar for 2012.

Arbitrage.
Brit Marling, who is the sole reason I knew this released in 2012, is definitely someone to keep an eye out for.
sick.gif
 the ending was abismal , ruined it for me

imma check out lawless , few friends said they liked it ....

I didn't recall the structure or pacing of Lincoln being an issue. Spielberg and Daniel Day Lewis, you enjoy every minute of that pairing with a subject like Lincoln.

I don't know the source material, but so there might be difficulty in adapting it to the screen for The Hobbit. Seeing it in IMAX, 3D, 48 fps makes that runtime feel a lot longer and the length was a weakness.

Before I even knew the premise, I could have guessed the next Apatow movie would be way too long. Either he needs to hire a better editor, take a writing class on structure, or something... this was just bad. I caught like an hour of This is 40 after I saw Silver Linings, and it was the worse pacing he's had so far. I didn't complain as much for 40 year old virgin and Knocked Up, it was noticeable in Funny People, this was a challenge. I think he said in an interview the lack of organization was intentional as a reflection of marriage and family (or I could be making that up), but whatever larger thematic points he might be making, it's lost when the movie drags.

There's no reason This is 40 or any comedy should really go past 2 hours. If you have that much funny, then yeah, 2 hr. 10 is cool, and throw the rest on the special features. And I really like Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd... but jesus christ if the whining married couple didn't get old very quickly. Sure, that's kind of the point, but there's a way to do that which doesn't drive the audience nuts. Also... his kids were annoying. Maybe all this will change when I finish it and it had a lot of funny moments, but I wasn't thrilled.

Last edited:
I just watched the Spider Man reboot again, and I don't care what y'all say, I dig it. Flawed and entirely too soon, but I dig it.

I wish Sony would sell it back to Marvel and we could see what Marvel/Disney would do with their own Spidey story.

Lincoln...Cloud Atlas...The Hobbit...This is 40...
The runtime is too damn long.

Honestly feel the same way..

I have had Lincoln for about... 2 weeks now, start it and shut it off like 10 mins into it because I know it's going to drag and be long and has a lot of long speeches. I want to see it just for DDL' acting but can't bring myself to watch it just yet :lol:

I need to watch The Hobbit too.

This is 40 I'm meh on, might just skip it completely.

I'll get to Cloud Atlas eventually

I just watched the Spider Man reboot again, and I don't care what y'all say, I dig it. Flawed and entirely too soon, but I dig it.
I wish Sony would sell it back to Marvel and we could see what Marvel/Disney would do with their own Spidey story.

Other than the design of The Lizard and his speech, I thought it was great. No shame in saying so.

Started off 2013 right. :pimp:

First feature-length film I watched was Hugo for the first time since seeing it in 3D. It doesn't hold up as well as it did seeing it theatrically, but it doesn't take away from how great it was. For film purists and historians, it's a treat. It still choked me up in quite a few scenes, and the cast was so damn solid. Might've been my favorite film of 2011.

And then, I watched Chernobyl Diaries. :lol:

I know I'm probably the only one on here that will probably watch it, but I had so much hope for this one when I saw trailers earlier this year. Then I saw how poorly it was received on RT, and decided to stay away and buy it once it came to Blu-ray.

So I did that, and man, it has so much potential. You got a gorgeous setting and premise, but the script and plot is pretty bad. After they get to Chernobyl, it all just starts to fall apart. It wasn't filmed in Chernobyl obviously, but it was filmed in Europe and the one redeeming quality is that the scenery is great. It has the feel of a film that was filmed in radioactive nuclear crisis. Also the fact that there's something out there? Kinda cool. But the execution is very poor. For the first fifty minutes or so (it's only 85 minutes), the only threat we see are some wildlife, some wild dogs, and a bear. And some piranhas?

Once you realize that there's something else out there, that there's a greater threat out there, it became a little more intriguing. But as I stated, the execution is just so poor. The group gets split up at one point, as one of their friends is injured and leaves him in a van with his girlfriend. The survivors go to look for car parts because obviously the car won't start. Fine, I'll buy it. But once they come back, the car is torn to SHREDS; completely flipped over, and looked like it was just a metal shell, no interior or anything left. Well, we must be dealing with something serious!

After some of these things start chasing what survivors are left, we see that they are rather cumbersome, almost zombie like. But you never really see what their face looks like, so it leaves you wondering what exactly they are. A few more survivors fall off-screen, and one gets caught up on a ladder and ends up being gobbled up by what are clearly mutated humans. There are a few frightful scenes, like creepy little girls somehow showing up behind the group of survivors, but they never show the pay-off.

Several more chase scenes later, they are cornered by about 5 of them. These same cats that flipped over their friends van, and a woman is easily able to take care of two by herself, and save her male companion? I'm not trying to sit here saying that women aren't strong, but if a woman can beat up two of these mutants, while their friends get their van torn to shreds? Ehh..

So, the kids eventually get chased into Chernobyl reactor #4 (where the accident happened), and they go through some creepy scenery, and they suddenly start to feel the effects of the radiation that's still there, and as they finally get out of there, they are stopped by local hazmat soldiers that conveniently come through right as they are on the edge of life.

Cut to a hospital where there's only one survivor (the woman), and doctors speak in Russian that she's seen too much (the mutants), and that they can't let her leave. So what do they do? Throw her into a jail cell with a bunch of the mutants. That makes sense. :lol: Cue credits.

The alternate ending consists of the girl waking up in a hospital bed, at night, tossing and turning in her restraints, showing that she is slowly being kept alive, but turning into one of the mutants herself, which was kind of cool.

There just wasn't enough substance. The mutated guys (which we don't ever get a good look at), look like that guy from Robocop who gets soaked with acid, that looked cool, but you only see them for maybe 10 seconds total screen time. It's a shame, because it looked like practical effects, and looked pretty good. The setting as I said was awesome, and there were bits and pieces of a decent horror flick in here. That said, 4/10.

2012 was such a putrid year for horror.

You had Prometheus and Chronicle, which were both semi-horror, and Cabin in the Woods, which was probably the best horror film in maybe a decade. Sinister wasn't terrible, it was genuinely creepy in parts, but still had scenes that needed to be cut badly. Still, finding those old tapes and watching them on a super 8 camera, it had balls, it just wasn't perfect.

Then you had trash like The Devil Inside (where you only get 2/3 of a film), The Apparition (a Costco ad where the only frightful part is given away on the poster), Paranormal 4 which apparently sucked, House at the End of the Street which looked supremely stupid, The Possession which was uninspired and lacked scares, Chernobyl which just didn't pan out, and your normal crap sequels like Resident Evil, Underworld, and also a disappointing sequel to Silent Hill, where the first was very okayish.

2013 has some hopefuls, but a lot of duds as well.

• I'm intrigued by The Last Exorcism 2, because even though the first had it's flaws, for a PG13 horror film, it was pretty damn good. The synopsis seems kind of weak, but if they touch on some of the elements that I liked about the first, I should dig it.
  • World War Z I'll see no matter what opening day. I have the worst feeling that it's going to suck. I can already kind of feel like it's going to be one of those films that a lot of people will enjoy just because of the action, the same kind of people that enjoy Wrath of the Titans and Immortals and films like that. Not saying there's anything wrong with films like that, but they just always seem to lack substance, at least for me. WWZ has been plagued with development issues, and that's usually a dire sign.
  • The World's End is the last (apparently) of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy (the first two being Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz) where a group of friends try to fraternize and pub-crawl their old college favorites, namely The World's End, where they happen to run into the end of the world as they know it. It sounds fun, and Wright/Pegg/Frost have yet to let me down.
  • A Carrie reboot with Chloe Moretz? Day-one, showing-one, please. Carrie was a classic, and Chloe is the perfect actress I want to see in a Carrie reboot. There's no other actress I'd feel comfortable with other than her doing this role. I don't have confidence it will be great, but I have confidence she will be.
  • Evil Dead is the biggest question mark for me. I don't have the same fear that it will suck like I fear WWZ will, but at the same time, it could suck just as bad. From the trailer, at times I feel like it's just another Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St. crap remake, but then I see some of the twisted gore and think it might work. By far the film I'm looking forward to most in horror.
  • Insidious: Chapter 2 is either going to be a home-run, or it's going to be a strike-out. I don't feel like there's much wiggle room to be had with Insidious, because the first 45 minutes of the first film was so perfect, yet the way they ended it just didn't feel like it left much room for anything to build on ever again from what they established before. You can't undo what you've done, and I don't know if they can get back that vibe they created in the first. If they do though, it should be a blast.
  • Lastly there's quite a few indie-horror films that I definitely want to see. I've been on the Rob Zombie band-wagon for quite a while, and he's coming out with Lords of Salem in April, but it just hasn't' gotten great reviews. I'll see it regardless, but my expectations are dampened. Maniac is a pseudo-remake of a 80s slasher film where you follow the killer and delve into his psyche. Elijah Wood stars as the serial killer, and apparently it's widely gotten great reviews, so I'm in. Last is Antiviral, which comes from Brandon Cronenberg, son of David Cronenberg. It's a crazy film where a kid makes a living by selling live viruses from diseased celebrities to fans. It's also gotten great reviews in it's festival run, so I really want to catch it.

As a genre fan, if it weren't for some very excellent re-releases of horror classics on Blu-ray and The Cabin in the Woods, I might've offed myself. 2013, please don't hurt me like you did last year.

Just finished all of Luther. Idris Elba rocks my socks. The whole British TV series style is kinda weird and wonky for me to adjust to. And I also feel like all the brit actors overact, maybe it's the accents. I do like how smart of a show it is, I found my self getting left behind if I wasn't giving it all my attention. All in all, Luther is a cool Law and Order-y type show but with an amazing lead actor.

Side note. I always thought England had like 3 murders a year or something, this show makes it seem like they have **** popping off in the regular.

This weekend helped me out a lot, got thru a bunch of stuff quicker than usual.

Yesterday the wife and I sat down and took out This is 40, and Flight.

40 was solid to me. A lot of people that are not married may not dig it, but we both did. It certainly was choppy as hell in the beginning, and the ending was about as uncomfortable a birthday party as I've ever witnessed, and it absolutely could have been trimmed 15 minutes, but overall it hit the marks needed. The oldest girl was ripe for a beheading, good Lord if my daughter ever starts acting like that, but both Mann and Josh from Clueless were solid. Loved some of the cameos, like the cop from Bridesmaids, and the chick, Mellisa whatever, they were both really good, Megan Fox looked damn good and actually had a fit in the movie with some humor, I did not expect that. We all know she was there just to look at, but she really did add to the cast, Apatow should win an award for that. Segel was sort of underused which surprised me, but he had a moment or two. It's worth a watch, but maybe only if you're married. :lol:

Flight was a really well chopped up cut of Philadelphia John Q Remember the Training Day American Gangster Has Game as we saw all the same typical nonsense that goes on, Denzel smokes alot, drinks like Leaving Las Vegas Nic Cage, and snorts to get "even". :lol: John Goodman was brilliant in his 7 minutes, he was fantastic. Loved the idea of it all, he saved 90 + people, but was ****** up beyond ****** up, do you be mad at him, or thank him for saving everybody and doing something no one else could have done? Love that angle, but towards the end, it was all pretty predictable what was coming. I'll probably watch it once or twice more, and never think of it again ala Q, AG, Titans, He Got Game, etc. Solid, Denzel does his thing, but no need to rewatch it much. Training Day and Philly are the only 2 I can really think of that I would watch multiple times, but I could be forgetting several at this moment too.

I know I am MAD late, but I finally saw Skyfall and was very impressed. Javier Bardem plays a great villain.

Back
Top Bottom