Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

not that easy
laugh.gif
put it in your rankings

The Descendants
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Take Shelter (tied with Martha, more or less)
50/50
Midnight in Paris
The Ides of March
Moneyball

Bridesmaids
Attack the Block
Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Hobo with a Shotgun
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I think that A Separation, Shame, The Skin I Live In should've made it onto the prestige shortlists (got some writeons from people who've seen a lot of them) and maybe Insidious and Lincoln Lawyer should've made it onto the popcorn shortlists.

Also I blame Linsanity on that lost week and a half.

That said, voting soon. Gimme a minute.

Here's how the voting will go...either PM me or post in here a Top 3 or up to 3.
If you only feel a sort of way towards 1 or 2 films, only vote for 1 or 2.

Prestige Film Nominees

The Artist
The Descendants
Drive
50/50
Margin Call
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Moneyball
Take Shelter

Popcorn Film Nominees

13 Assassins
Attack The Block
Bridesmaids

Fast Five

Hobo With A Shotgun

Rise of the Apes

X-Men: First Class

I'm not sure what to do about Crazy Stupid Love, the most polarizing film in the category. People either really really loved it, or damn near hated it and it just barely missed the cut...

edit: damn, left 13 off the list

Finally got time to finish the second GOT book. Should make for another great season of TV... Copped the Best Buy exclusive Targaryen first season set...

Going to start the third book today.

Eughk...too much catchup in 1 day. 50/50, Hugo, The Artist, Take Shelter...kinda wish I spaced those out. Really liked all 4 in different ways.

wrote a review for all 4...then yuku ate it.
grin.gif

Really really liked Hugo. Terrible title, great film. Not nearly as kiddie as I expected.
More like a brighter Sweeney Todd without the singing or blood. Ben Kingsley did work.

I think everyone would have really liked Hugo if they gave it a chance. It's a shame more people didn't see it in theaters, the 3D was fantastic. Beautiful film.

As far as yuku feasting on your posts, I always make sure I copy something before I go ahead and post it. Been yuku'd far too many times to do that anymore.
laugh.gif

My predictions on who will win

Spoiler [+]
Picture - The Artist
Director - Michel Hazanavicius
Adapted Screenplay - The Descendants
Original Screenplay - Midnight in Paris
Actor - Jean Dujardin
Actress - Viola Davis
Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer
Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer

I don't have much stake in the actual awards, and there obviously isn't a ton of entertainment value, but this is still so much more interesting to me than a music awards show. I guess because I want to be a part of that world someday.

I've got the All-Star game on my living room big screen, brought out my bedroom LCD for the Oscars, I have my laptop, plus Twitter on my phone.

I think my head is about to explode.

And I agree, I always watch the Oscars despite the obvious flaws... it's still interesting to me.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Finally got time to finish the second GOT book. Should make for another great season of TV... Copped the Best Buy exclusive Targaryen first season set...

Going to start the third book today.

pimp.gif

Reading A Dance With Dragons now.

Can't wait for Season 2 to start.

Just got back home to catch the end of the awards.
Only big disappointment was Tree of Life not winning for cinematography.

If Midnight in Paris couldn't win best picture, I'm glad The Artist did. With that said, I am very pleased that Allen got the best screenplay nod.

Even though he was a shoe-in, congrats to Christopher Plummer. His performance in Beginners was great and could have rivaled the leading actor nominees. On that note, Beginners not even getting a best picture nod was unfortunate.

A Separation was a no brainer as the best foreign film. I felt the film was more of a character study than anything else, but it was an excellent picture.

As for the leading actor/actress, I was hoping Dujardin would win and was surprised that he was able to beat out Clooney. I'm not a Clooney fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he put in solid work in Payne's, The Descendants.

Can't speak too much about the actresses because I had only seen TGWTDT and My Week with Marilyn.

Lastly, Hazanavicius has to be luckiest man in Hollywood right now. Won the Oscar for directing the best film and he gets to go home to Bérénice Bejo. Bastard.

Back
Top Bottom