Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

good looks JPZ and Big J

and yeah, that Kevin movie is a trip. would've been one of my favorite movies of the year, but that ending was disappointing to me.

A Los Angeles Times study found that academy voters are markedly less diverse than the moviegoing public, and even more monolithic than many in the film industry may suspect. Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and 77% male, The Times found. Blacks are about 2% of the academy, and Latinos are less than 2%.

Oscar voters have a median age of 62, the study showed. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership.

http://www.latimes.com/en...html,0,6763063.htmlstory

Nvm.

Old white men? I am shocked.

Yes, the Academy Awards routinely make the wrong choice, are influenced by powerful producers, give out "we owe you one" awards, and other faults... but it's still the most renowned and "important" event for movies.

Went to an advance screening last night for Project X. The movie was a great time, very original, and a wiiiiilllld ride.

Getting a ton of positive feed back on my review - check it out if you're interested - Review - http://bit.ly/znJQaw

Knew it wasvbad but I'm still surprised by those numbers

Just finished the 4th game of thrones book. Definitely the worst one but it's still good. 4th and 5th need to be one season.

there is actually a note from the author that states all the characters we love will be back in the new book and it was supposed to be one book. He said it would hopefully be out a year later. But it ended up being 6 years later lol.

Anyone up to that pm me I wana talk bout it

venom, I know you've seen half of these...rank em, leave out the ones you haven't.

NT Film Awards Prestige Films

THE ARTIST
THE DESCENDANTS
THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE
DRIVE
50/50
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
THE HELP
THE GUARD
HUGO
THE IDES OF MARCH
MARGIN CALL
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
MELANCHOLIA
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
MONEYBALL
TAKE SHELTER
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY
THE TREE OF LIFE
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN
YOUNG ADULT

NT Film Awards Popcorn Films

ATTACK THE BLOCK
BEGINNERS
BRIDESMAIDS
CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.
FAST FIVE
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
13 ASSASSINS
WARRIOR
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Old white men? I am shocked.

Yes, the Academy Awards routinely make the wrong choice, are influenced by powerful producers, give out "we owe you one" awards, and other faults... but it's still the most renowned and "important" event for movies.

Well let me channel Woody Allen: I don't give a #*#*.

Yea def going to go see Project X just for the theater experience
laugh.gif

It'll be Midnight 
pimp.gif

Watching Rounders for the first time.

I'll probably be playing on FullTilt by the time I'm done
laugh.gif

Just wrapped up Midnight in Paris.

I'm not a big period piece or fantasy dude, but I enjoyed it. Liked, not loved. And I could even relate to Owen Wilson's character a lot (minus the affinity for nostalgia).

But, I'm not willing to call it ingenious or anything. It utilized history to come up with a simple, worn story. And it was overbearingly romanticized. Paris would do well not to talk about how magical Paris is. We get it. I feel like a lot of people got overly caught up in the allure, which was surely the goal, but I didn't feel it like that.

I loved the Hemingway and Dali portrayals (Adrien Brody was perfect to play that crackpot), and all of the beautiful women (McAdams, Cotillard, the last girl and the guide).

Updated:

The Descendants
Martha Marcy May Marlene
50/50
Midnight in Paris
The Ides of March
Moneyball

Bridesmaids
Attack the Block
Crazy, Stupid, Love.
Hobo with a Shotgun
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Take Shelter on deck.

[h3][/h3][h2]FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2012[/h2][h3]Screenplay Review - The Disciple Program (Amateur Friday)[/h3]
[h3]A review of the screenplay that's turned into one of the rarer more interesting screenwriting stories in awhile.[/h3]
Amateur Friday Submission Process: To submit your script for an Amateur Review, send it in PDF form, along with your title, genre, logline, and why I should read your script to [email protected]. Keep in mind your script will be posted in the review (feel free to keep your identity and script title private by providing an alias and fake title). Also, it's a good idea to resubmit every couple of weeks so that your submission stays near the top of the pile.

Genre: Thriller
Premise: A man begins an investigation into his wife’s mysterious death, only to find that it goes much deeper than he imagined.
About: The first amateur script to ever crack The Scriptshadow Top 10. Tyler was an unsold unrepped writer out of Brooklyn when he sent this to me. After I sent the script out to half a dozen industry contacts on Wednesday, the script has found its way into every agency, management company, and studio in town. Late yesterday, Tyler finally made his decision to go with WME, who will put a package together for the project and go out with it in the near future. 
Writer: Tyler Marceca
Details: 114 pages

[font=Georgia, Utopia, 'Palatino Linotype', Palatino, serif]http://scriptshadow.blogs...ew-disciple-program.html[/font]

I was bored and wanted to watch something B&W, so I decided to turn to William Castle, king of gimmickry in cinema. The man responsible for The Tingler where he shocked people with electrified seats, House on Haunted Hill where he swung around skeletons on clotheslines, and the film I watched tonight, 13 Ghosts, where depending on your belief in ghosts, you either see them, or you don't. He did this by using 3D-esque red/blue lenses in the theaters.

Quite brilliant I'd say. He would turn the screen completely blue with the ghosts being red, so if you looked in the blue lens, you would see indistinct moving. But if you looked through the red lens you could see the action on film.

If the film had not had this gimmick, it'd be your average 60s horror flick, but the gimmick worked flawlessly, for a film in 1960, I'm damn impressed. Like I said the film itself isn't that great, it's about a family inheriting the house full of ghosts, with a bit of a mystery of who all 13 ghosts are.

It was a fun ride. I enjoyed the remake because it was a gore-filled roller-coaster. I think I like the original better. It has your typical 60s acting, but still, I thought the gimmick really made the film work.

I can only imagine what viewers thought 50 years ago. Fun film if you like old stuff like House of Wax, House on Haunted Hill, and The Haunted (all originals, not the remakes).

8/10.

Back
Top Bottom