Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

sight unseen, Clint gets a bye on J. Edgar for his Super Bowl ad.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by MrONegative

sight unseen, Clint gets a bye on J. Edgar for his Super Bowl ad.
grin.gif

That's what I don't get, I know Clint's a racist #*%$%*%#%%@@, or at least portrays one really well in his movies, but Million Dollar Baby, Unforgiven, and Gran Torino were so solid in what he was tryin to get across.  Why, why did he do this to J Edgar?  I flat out, do not understand.  Edgar could be nuttier than a fruitcake, I don't care, the man opened the F. B. I.  That ain't like openin a really big lemonade stand or some @#$%  Why beat me over the damn head with Arm and Hammer?  (I'm really running out of jokes about the Winklevos kid, who played his role very well, again) 
laugh.gif

And I agree, that commerical damn near made me stand up and clap during the Super Bowl, so what the @#$% with J Edgar? 

Serious, I damn near wonder if Leo wanted it that way, so he could get in his Aviator mode again or something.  This was not Clint Eastwood like I would expect. 

As I said, if that was a part of his life, then fine, make a mention, give a nod, a wink, show that you, as the director, think that he had somethin else goin on with his right hand man, but you do not need to give me 45 minutes of it. That, is a waste of time, my time, your time, screen time, all of it.

The way it was portrayed was that his life revolved around Hammer's character. Do I doubt their friendship/relationship? Not at all. The intimacy of it all is a little vague, sure. I think Clint just wanted to show that Hammer's character was just as much apart of J. Edgar's life as the FBI was. The time was divided pretty equally I'd say. I do agree that the stuff that actually involves FBI work is much better than the stuff with Hammer, I enjoyed it much more, but I can see why the decision was made. The last scene of the movie is shredding of all those secret files, and not the scene where he dies.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, I can see where you're coming from. Would you have rather taken the approach that Fincher took with Zuckerberg's ex-girlfriend and only show her periodically in The Social Network? I agree that I enjoy that much better than this, but I enjoyed it as a biopic.

I guess what it really comes down to is that I wasn't as aggravated that so much screen time was put into the relationship with him. I asked my history professor what he thought and he stated similar concern, wishing there was more stuff with the FBI, but did say that Hammer's character was a vital character in Edgar's life, that's why I didn't mind it. Maybe because I watched it with my girl, and I usually don't mind that kind of story-telling if I'm with her.
laugh.gif

You have any particular issue with any of the performances? I personally thought they were all great.
nerd.gif

I forgot where I read it, but I remember reading somewhere that the decision to lean more towards the inseparable relationship was a decision of either Leo or Clint, I forget who, I want to say it was Leo that wanted it that way though. I think he wanted to show how reliable Edgar was on him. That was about 6 months ago so I've gone and forgotten by now, but I do know that one of them really wanted to hammer it home.

I've seen 5 movies in the past 2 weeks and think each one is worth checking out. 

The Grey

To Die For

Kinsey

Body Heat

Amistad

I watched the last 3 on HBOGO and To Die For on UVerse's iPad app.  Showtime has an app as well. So now Starz, Showtime, Encore, Movieplex, and HBO all can be found on the iPad. It's a beautiful thing. 

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I need to find Drive, The Artist, Margin Call, 13 Assassins, The Descendants and The Devil's Double 
nerd.gif

Drive and Margin Call are on DVD already. 

Wait, Showtime has an App to let you watch their shows/movies on your iPad?

Starz and Encore too? #%*..

I only knew of HBOGO, which is amazing.

JA, I liked pretty much all of the characters, performances. Leo, Hammer, Watts, Dench all were great.

Starting The Wire tonight...a friend let me borrow the first season...lets see if the hype on NT is justified
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

JA, I liked pretty much all of the characters, performances. Leo, Hammer, Watts, Dench all were great.
I think that's why I was so forgiving of them spending so much time on the characters relationships, just because they were so good.

When you guys get around to it, check out Hugo. It's a film for film-lovers, definitely.

How bout this...I need some absolute rankings, so not a top 4, but rank every movie you've seen from both lists and leave out the ones you haven't.

I need rankings from Big J, Illmatic, JRS....

that'll at least get us close to real nominees.
Might just make a thread in general to try and get more looks at it.

Any ideas on directing and writing awards?

NT Film Awards Prestige Films

THE ARTIST
THE DESCENDANTS
THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE
DRIVE
50/50
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
THE HELP
THE GUARD
HUGO
THE IDES OF MARCH
MARGIN CALL
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
MELANCHOLIA
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
MONEYBALL
TAKE SHELTER
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY
THE TREE OF LIFE
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN
YOUNG ADULT

NT Film Awards Popcorn Films

ATTACK THE BLOCK
BEGINNERS
BRIDESMAIDS
CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.
FAST FIVE
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
13 ASSASSINS
WARRIOR
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Okay, my final rankings.

DRIVE
THE ARTIST
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY
MARGIN CALL
TAKE SHELTER
THE DESCENDANTS
MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
THE GUARD
MELANCHOLIA
THE TREE OF LIFE

13 ASSASSINS
ATTACK THE BLOCK
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
FAST FIVE

Damn Cinavia (sp?) made it impossible to watch Ides, Midnight in Paris or Moneyball on my PS3.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

How bout this...I need some absolute rankings, so not a top 4, but rank every movie you've seen from both lists and leave out the ones you haven't.
That's what I did.
grin.gif

laugh.gif
nerd.gif
we need to talk about Kevin...

but yea, I kept putting this off til I could watch more of these and managed to watch not a damn thing.

So far no one's seen Hugo, Beginners or Young Adult.
And only one person's seen The Artist, 50/50, The Help, Midnight In Paris, Take Shelter and the Kevin movie...

Midnight In Paris
The Descendants
Moneyball
50/50
The Ides Of March
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Drive
The Tree Of Life
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Help

Crazy, Stupid, Love.
X-Men: First Class
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
Warrior
Bridesmaids

THE ARTIST
DRIVE
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
THE TREE OF LIFE
THE DESCENDANTS
50/50
THE IDES OF MARCH
MONEYBALL
THE HELP
MARGIN CALL

BEGINNERS
BRIDESMAIDS
WARRIOR
ATTACK THE BLOCK
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
FAST FIVE
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.

Didn't get to the theaters enough to catch some of these, and I didn't feel like finding them through other means.

Back
Top Bottom