Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I don't know if any of you are DVD buyers, but if you want a pretty comprehensive set for Hitchcock...

http://www.amazon.com/exe...B000A1INJE/dvdaficionado

I love it, it's a beautiful set.

Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, Rear Window, The Trouble with Harry, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds, Marnie, Torn Curtain, Topaz, Frenzy, and Family Plot.

Quite a good range.

See, I don't walk out of movies, it's just enjoy the company or end up roasting it the whole time if it's bad.
That said...The Fall...we hated that little girl so damn much.
30t6p3b.gif

I feel prepped for the Doomsday......Also..."!@## hits the fan" girl is my favorite human being.
laugh.gif

and when is The Colony coming back?
nerd.gif

The fact that natgeo went out of their way to explain how ******ed she is.
laugh.gif

Um...the US oil reserves are the largest...we import from Mexico and Canada...you have 300 miles worth of gas, Mexico is 320 miles away...Your route through the city is dangerous already, today...

I mean, does she really work out at a playground 4 hours a day?
roll.gif

Rear Window was one of the two I had only seen parts of. Just watched it in full.

Damn. I'm sorry it has taken me nearly 24 years to see all of it. A step above Vertigo, and right there with North by Northwest, perhaps better.

This is the perfect smaller collection: Amazon product ASIN B005EVY8MQ
I'm reading that, in the past week, two remakes have been announced. Rebecca, by Steven Knight (Eastern Promises, an upcoming Dan Brown adaptation and an upcoming Jason Statham project), and Suspicion, by a woman who was involved with The Killing. Never seen Hitchcock's version of either one.

you should read some essays or some analysis on rear window it made me appreciate the movie much much more

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Rear Window was one of the two I had only seen parts of. Just watched it in full.

Damn. I'm sorry it has taken me nearly 24 years to see all of it. A step above Vertigo, and right there with North by Northwest, perhaps better.
pimp.gif

RW and NBN are the 2 that stuck with me the most when you got me started on his work.  And if Hitch needed to get any chick undressed on screen, Rear Window was the gal we needed. 
embarassed.gif

MrO, where are we on whatever we were doin last week? 
laugh.gif

Breaking Bad, season 5, when does that drop? 

Originally Posted by Noskey

This is the perfect smaller collection
Intriguing. Any blu ray version out there?
nerd.gif
The only Blu-rays I'm aware of that is out is Psycho and North by Northwest.

That set Kev mentioned is much better if all you care about is the classics.

Avoid this set, there have been many malfunctions with the discs: http://www.amazon.com/Hit...d=1329264577&sr=8-32

EDIT: I looked it up, and saw that there are also these films on Blu-ray.

Notorious, Rebecca, and Spellbound.

Notorious is also up there as one of my favorites of his. I typically like his B&W stuff over his color films.

The Lady Vanishes is also a Criterion release, who always put out great releases, but are much pricier.

I don't have it because I love my DVD collection, but I've heard great things about both the North by Northwest and Psycho Blu-rays. I peeped at the Rebecca, Notorious, and Spellbound reviews, all three were positive, but if you want classic Hitchock on Blu-ray, can't go wrong with either NBN or Psycho.

Originally Posted by CP1708

RW and NBN are the 2 that stuck with me the most when you got me started on his work.  And if Hitch needed to get any chick undressed on screen, Rear Window was the gal we needed. 
embarassed.gif

Maybe I'm just a sucker, but Ingrid Bergman in Casa and Notorious always has me dreamy-eyed more than anyone else from that era.

NT Film Awards Prestige Films

THE ARTIST
THE DESCENDANTS
THE DEVIL'S DOUBLE
DRIVE
50/50
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
THE HELP
THE GUARD
HUGO
THE IDES OF MARCH
MARGIN CALL
MELANCHOLIA
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
MONEYBALL
TAKE SHELTER
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY
THE TREE OF LIFE
YOUNG ADULT

NT Film Awards Popcorn Films

ATTACK THE BLOCK
BEGINNERS
BRIDESMAIDS
CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE.
FAST FIVE
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - GHOST PROTOCOL
RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
13 ASSASSINS
WARRIOR
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

And then the tricky ones...has anyone seen any of these? vouch for one?

Prestige Watchlist

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
MEEK'S CUTOFF
A SEPARATION
SHAME
THE SKIN I LIVE IN
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN

[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Best All-Around Actor nominees[/color] (The Chris Paul Award)
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]
Ryan Gosling [/color]([color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Drive[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Ides of March[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Crazy Stupid Love[/color])
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]George Clooney [/color]([color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]The Descendants[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Ides of March[/color])
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Brad Pitt [/color]([color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Moneyball[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Tree of Life[/color], Happy Feet 2)
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Tom Hardy [/color]([color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Warrior[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy[/color])
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Michael Fassbender [/color]([color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Shame[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]X-Men First Class[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]A Dangerous Method[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Jane Eyre[/color])
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Christopher Plummer [/color]([color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Beginners[/color], [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo[/color])

Best All-Around Actress nominees (The Bostrich Award)[color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]

Jessica Chastain [/color]([color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Tree of Life[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]The Help[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Take Shelter[/color] and [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Coriolanus[/color])
[color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Marion Cotillard [/color]([color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Midnight in Paris[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Contagion[/color])
[color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Rose Byrne [/color]([color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Bridesmaids[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]X-Men: First Class[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Insidious[/color])
[color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Carey Mulligan [/color]([color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Drive[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Shame[/color])
[color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Paula Patton [/color]([color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Mission Impossible 4[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Jumping the Broom[/color])
[color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Kate Winslet[/color] in ([color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Contagion[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Carnage[/color])
[color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Emma Stone [/color]([color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]The Help[/color], [color= rgb(204, 51, 0)]Crazy, Stupid, Love.[/color])

[color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]Best Actor[/color][color= rgb(51, 153, 153)], single performance[/color]

[color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]John Boyega[/color] for [color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]Attack the Block[/color]
[color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]Dominic Cooper[/color] for [color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]The Devil's Double[/color]
[color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]Jean Dujardin[/color] for [color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]The Artist
[/color][color= rgb(51, 153, 153)]Brendan Gleeson[/color] for The Guard

[color= rgb(153, 102, 153)]Best Actress[/color][color= rgb(153, 102, 153)], single performance[/color]

[color= rgb(153, 102, 153)]Rooney Mara [/color]all the way at the top for [color= rgb(153, 102, 153)]The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo[/color]
[color= rgb(153, 102, 153)]Viola Davis [/color](cuz past this Slumdog Millionaire type hype for the movie, she killed it regardless) for [color= rgb(153, 102, 153)]The Help[/color]
[color= rgb(153, 102, 153)]Kristen Wiig [/color]for [color= rgb(153, 102, 153)]Bridesmaids[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Best Supporting Actor[/color] (Pitt in Tree, Hardy in Tinker, Plummer in Tattoo, Clooney in Ides)

[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Albert Brooks [/color]for [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Drive[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Andy Serkis [/color]for [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Rise of the Planet of the Apes[/color]
[color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Nick Nolte [/color]for [color= rgb(0, 51, 204)]Warrior[/color]

[color= rgb(204, 51, 102)]Best Supporting Actress[/color] aka The Chastain Award (Every all-around nominee is a supporting role...)

[color= rgb(204, 51, 102)]Shailene Woodley [/color]surprised the hell outta me for [color= rgb(204, 51, 102)]The Descendants[/color]
[color= rgb(204, 51, 102)]Elle Fanning[/color], the only good part of [color= rgb(204, 51, 102)]Super 8[/color]

something something something, let's nail the films.
Hold off for now, but I think we can do the nominations in thread.
Basically rank the film nominees and mark the ones you haven't seen, so we can figure out the final noms.
Gimme a sec though, gotta finish editing this in a little.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

NT Film Awards Prestige Films

THE HELP
HUGO
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
TAKE SHELTER

And then the tricky ones...has anyone seen any of these? vouch for one?

Prestige Watchlist

MARTHA MARCY MAY MARLENE
MEEK'S CUTOFF
A SEPARATION
SHAME
THE SKIN I LIVE IN
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN
I am gonna try and get those top 4 sometime in the next 10 days, as for the bottom six there, never seen or even heard of any of them except Shame, and what I've heard about that movie is rather lengthy and does not interest me in the least........

George Clooney sees what I did there. 
laugh.gif
sick.gif
roll.gif

I'm also gonna try and get to Carnage if I can.  See about Kate's performance. 

Real quick, someone remind me, what was Take Shelter?  Is that the Michael Shannon movie?  I remember hearing good things about it, but not sure if I have the right one or not. 

At some point, because of you guys, I want to get to Attack the Block, 13 Assassins, and Hobo/Shotgun, I'm just always pulled in different directions and don't get enough time to plow thru movies sometimes. 
30t6p3b.gif

Michael Bay gonna be doin Transformers 4, June 29 2014. 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I know the second one pissed folks off, but I've actually enjoyed this franchise alot like the Fast/Furious movies.  Bay gets a little off track sometimes, but he can clean it up when he's motivated to prove himself. 

No word on any of the cast comin back or not, too soon for that. 

Bay's next movie though is gonna be Pain and Gain with Wahlberg and The Rock. 

Real quick, someone remind me, what was Take Shelter?  Is that the Michael Shannon movie?  I remember hearing good things about it, but not sure if I have the right one or not. 

At some point, because of you guys, I want to get to Attack the Block, 13 Assassins, and Hobo/Shotgun, I'm just always pulled in different directions and don't get enough time to plow thru movies sometimes. 
30t6p3b.gif

IMDB that %$+%. And yes.

I'm shocked you havent seen the other 3 movies you listed.

Michael Bay gonna be doin Transformers 4, June 29 2014. 
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I know the second one pissed folks off, but I've actually enjoyed this franchise alot like the Fast/Furious movies.  Bay gets a little off track sometimes, but he can clean it up when he's motivated to prove himself. 

No word on any of the cast comin back or not, too soon for that. 

Bay's next movie though is gonna be Pain and Gain with Wahlberg and The Rock. 
Michael Bay has been a giant meh for me pretty much his entire career.

Bad Boys ain't my kind of movie, and I hate what he did to the classic horror films as a producer (Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw, Nightmare on Elm St., and Amityville).

I saw the first Transformers in theaters, and he's not getting anymore of my money.

pimp.gif

Did you watch it?

I just watched The Wrong Man. Probably my least favorite Hitchcock film so far. It was a true story, and just far too bland to work with.

Now I've seen Frenzy, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), North by Northwest, Rear Window, Rope, Strangers on a Train, Suspicion, Vertigo and The Wrong Man. Only 23 more American films, and all of the British ones that still exist except Frenzy.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom