Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I like that Blouse song.
smokin.gif
Reminds me of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Pixies.

30 Moments of Anticipation: 2012 in Film! (First Movies post) (self.movies)

submitted 9 hours ago by vinnytt

[h2]2012 is going to be INSANE for film next year. So many big releases either from major franchises or big directors, it was hard to cut this down to 30, but I did. The list is in an order of anticipation and not by date or anything like that. I am leaving some out that others will want to see. That just shows how great the cinema is about to be![/h2]
The Dark Knight Rises (Dir. Christopher Nolan. Everything is pointing at this being THE movie event of the summer, if not the entire year) 

The Avengers (Dir. Joss Whedon. Any other year you could same the same thing about this. Getting both within two months of each other is just great) 

The Hobbit (Dir. Peter Jackson. 11 years in the making) 

The Master (Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson. Could top There Will Be Blood with this, and that's saying a lot)

Django Unchained (Dir. Quentin Tarantino. Jamie Foxx as a former slave shooting people. Just shows how many big directors are having films come out this year)

Lincoln (Dir. Steven Spielberg. Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln. All that needs to be said)

Prometheus (Dir. Ridley Scott. Took us seven spots to finally reach an original story. Take that as you want)

Skyfall (Dir. Sam Mendes. New James Bond with Roger Deakins cinematogrpaghy and Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem. Happy Thanksgiving!)

Brave (Dir. Mark Andrews. First directing job. The latest Pixar. Looks like a Dreamworks film but trailers can be decieving) 

The Expendables 2 (Dir. Simon West. Con Air. You may not know the director, but you'll know the cast. Expendables is going to be just as fun as the first one, and hopefully with less zoomed in on the shoulder camera work) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rkdTcQLwZ4

Moonrise Kingdom (Dir. Wes Anderson. This being this low is more proof that it's a stacked year. The cast alone is worth checking this out)

Men in Black III (Dir. Barry Sonnenfield. There's no way this can be as bad as the second one. 10 years should be enough time) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyaFEBI_L24

Seven Psychopaths (Dir. Martin McDounagh. If you've seen and loved In Bruges then this is required viewing. If you haven't. Watch it first, because this will be required viewing)

The Amazing Spider-Man (Dir. Marc Webb. 500 Days of Summer. Would be around 3-5 if it wasn't 'the damn origin story told AGAIN! It's been only 10 years) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XayxMPrUP4

The Bourne Legacy (Dir. Tony Gilroy. The Bourne Identity. Looking forward to a new Bourne film, even without Damon. Halfway down the list because faith in it isn't as big as it could be)

Argo (Dir. Ben Affleck. Affleck has done two great films, with The Town being better than Gone Baby Gone. Argo looks like it could easily be even better than those two. Keep it in mind)

Gravity (Dir. Alfonso Cuaron. The last American film Cuaron did was Children of Men. That's an automatic pass)

Gangster Squad (Dir. Ruben Fleischer. Ruben's last two films were Zombieland and 30 Minutes or Less, two films that seemed like could have been so much more if they'd been longer. Gangster Squad looks like the perfect oppurtunity for Fleischer to show whether he's going to flourish on simple short comedies or if he can work in multiple genres. Either way, it's a mix of L.A. Confidential and The Untouchables)

Ted (Dir. Seth McFarlane. Only on here because I trust McFarlane to pull together at least a solid comedy)

Dark Shadows (Dir. Tim Burton. In the past, Burton would have easily been in the top 10, but he's a mixed bag quality wise. I'll trust Shadows as a possibly of a return to form)

Battleship (Dir. Peter Berg. The Rundown, Friday Night Lights. Liam Neeson better say "THEY SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!" or I'll leave the theater mad) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDMXkPfxjOc

The Raid (Dir.Gareth Evans. Possible first American exposure. Hate just to say "Watch the trailer" but that's the best way I can do it justice. Just...holy crap this looks brutal!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

Looper (Dir. Rian Johnson. Rian did the near perfect Brick then the disappointing Brothers Bloom. Still plenty of faith in Looper)

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Dir. Timur Bekmambetov. Wanted. The title alone is enough)

Tomorrow (Dir. Paul McGuigan. Lucky Number Slevin. Push. One of the more underrated directors on this list. Only reason it's down here is becasue I can't find any word on it since 2010 so it's possible it doesn't even exist anymore. Hoping I'm wrong)

The Woman in Black (Dir. James Watkins. Eden Lake. Simply put, a horror film that isn't full of gore and jump scares. Sold) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lReemWmO5o

The Raven (Dir. James McTeigue. V for Vendetta. John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe. Neat)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYAZnVk0Czw

The Grey (Dir. Joe Carnahan. Smokin' Aces. Liam Neeson fights wolves off with beer bottle claws he broke with his teeth) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujrBaHS8UTg

Dredd (Dir. Pete Travis. Vantage Point. Another take on Judge Dredd with Karl Urban as Dredd)

Gambit (Dir. Michael Hoffman. The Emperors Club. A Coen Bros. script)

Originally Posted by HankMoody

30 Moments of Anticipation: 2012 in Film! (First Movies post) (self.movies)

submitted 9 hours ago by vinnytt

Lincoln (Dir. Steven Spielberg. Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln. All that needs to be said)

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Dir. Timur Bekmambetov. Wanted. The title alone is enough)

The Woman in Black (Dir. James Watkins. Eden Lake. Simply put, a horror film that isn't full of gore and jump scares. Sold) 

The Raven (Dir. James McTeigue. V for Vendetta. John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe. Neat)

pimp.gif

Good post. At least next year looks like it'll be great. This year is terrible

Im 90 percent sure I just saw that girl that kev loves in malcom in the middle. The one from Superbad and the gosling movie. Pretty random. I honestly forgot her name

They been showing malcom for 2 hours a day on IFC. It's so crazy to watch after breaking bad

Originally Posted by HankMoody

[h2][/h2]
The Dark Knight Rises (Dir. Christopher Nolan. Everything is pointing at this being THE movie event of the summer, if not the entire year) 

The Avengers (Dir. Joss Whedon. Any other year you could same the same thing about this. Getting both within two months of each other is just great) 

The Hobbit (Dir. Peter Jackson. 11 years in the making) 

The Master (Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson. Could top There Will Be Blood with this, and that's saying a lot)

Django Unchained (Dir. Quentin Tarantino. Jamie Foxx as a former slave shooting people. Just shows how many big directors are having films come out this year)

Prometheus (Dir. Ridley Scott. Took us seven spots to finally reach an original story. Take that as you want)

Skyfall (Dir. Sam Mendes. New James Bond with Roger Deakins cinematogrpaghy and Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem. Happy Thanksgiving!)

Brave (Dir. Mark Andrews. First directing job. The latest Pixar. Looks like a Dreamworks film but trailers can be decieving) 

The Expendables 2 (Dir. Simon West. Con Air. You may not know the director, but you'll know the cast. Expendables is going to be just as fun as the first one, and hopefully with less zoomed in on the shoulder camera work) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rkdTcQLwZ4

Moonrise Kingdom (Dir. Wes Anderson. This being this low is more proof that it's a stacked year. The cast alone is worth checking this out)

Men in Black III (Dir. Barry Sonnenfield. There's no way this can be as bad as the second one. 10 years should be enough time) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyaFEBI_L24

Seven Psychopaths (Dir. Martin McDounagh. If you've seen and loved In Bruges then this is required viewing. If you haven't. Watch it first, because this will be required viewing)

The Amazing Spider-Man (Dir. Marc Webb. 500 Days of Summer. Would be around 3-5 if it wasn't 'the damn origin story told AGAIN! It's been only 10 years) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XayxMPrUP4

The Bourne Legacy (Dir. Tony Gilroy. The Bourne Identity. Looking forward to a new Bourne film, even without Damon. Halfway down the list because faith in it isn't as big as it could be)

Argo (Dir. Ben Affleck. Affleck has done two great films, with The Town being better than Gone Baby Gone. Argo looks like it could easily be even better than those two. Keep it in mind)

Gravity (Dir. Alfonso Cuaron. The last American film Cuaron did was Children of Men. That's an automatic pass)

Gangster Squad (Dir. Ruben Fleischer. Ruben's last two films were Zombieland and 30 Minutes or Less, two films that seemed like could have been so much more if they'd been longer. Gangster Squad looks like the perfect oppurtunity for Fleischer to show whether he's going to flourish on simple short comedies or if he can work in multiple genres. Either way, it's a mix of L.A. Confidential and The Untouchables)

Ted (Dir. Seth McFarlane. Only on here because I trust McFarlane to pull together at least a solid comedy)

Dark Shadows (Dir. Tim Burton. In the past, Burton would have easily been in the top 10, but he's a mixed bag quality wise. I'll trust Shadows as a possibly of a return to form)

Battleship (Dir. Peter Berg. The Rundown, Friday Night Lights. Liam Neeson better say "THEY SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!" or I'll leave the theater mad) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDMXkPfxjOc

The Raid (Dir.Gareth Evans. Possible first American exposure. Hate just to say "Watch the trailer" but that's the best way I can do it justice. Just...holy crap this looks brutal!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

Looper (Dir. Rian Johnson. Rian did the near perfect Brick then the disappointing Brothers Bloom. Still plenty of faith in Looper)

Tomorrow (Dir. Paul McGuigan. Lucky Number Slevin. Push. One of the more underrated directors on this list. Only reason it's down here is becasue I can't find any word on it since 2010 so it's possible it doesn't even exist anymore. Hoping I'm wrong)

The Woman in Black (Dir. James Watkins. Eden Lake. Simply put, a horror film that isn't full of gore and jump scares. Sold) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lReemWmO5o

The Raven (Dir. James McTeigue. V for Vendetta. John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe. Neat)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYAZnVk0Czw

The Grey (Dir. Joe Carnahan. Smokin' Aces. Liam Neeson fights wolves off with beer bottle claws he broke with his teeth) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujrBaHS8UTg

Dredd (Dir. Pete Travis. Vantage Point. Another take on Judge Dredd with Karl Urban as Dredd)

Gambit (Dir. Michael Hoffman. The Emperors Club. A Coen Bros. script)

These (Red) are the ones that most intrigue me.  I'm sure I'll get on board with the Hobbit, just unsure about it as of yet.  I just remember how slow the beginning of the book was, plus the slow start to the first Lord of the Rings.  I know it'll deliver eventually, just less excited as I am for the others. 

Nicely done Hank. 
smokin.gif

Movie night.... had my family ready to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Then they saw the trailer and thought the movie would confuse them too much. 
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Seeing Contraband instead. Setting the bar extremely low so hopefully I'll enjoy it a bit... it only received a 43% on Rotten Tomatoes. I like Mark Wahlberg but I'm expecting a real unoriginal action flick.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Movie night.... had my family ready to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Then they saw the trailer and thought the movie would confuse them too much. 
eyes.gif
30t6p3b.gif
I hadn't read the book or seen the original TV miniseries, so the plot became a bit labyrinthine for me to follow. Definitely a film that doesn't talk down to its audience. Still a damn good movie, though.

Give me TDK Rises, Django, Lincoln (Day Lewis as Abe
smokin.gif
), and Bourne Legacy (only because I love the Bourne trilogy so much, so eff it, might as well watch).

Filming for Django is supposed to start later this month. 
pimp.gif

Contraband wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it wasn't the worst either. They suspend belief A LOT, and when it's all said and done what ended up happening with the wife was
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
eyes.gif
but oh well. Acting was just okay, thought Ben Foster had more in him than the performance he put up on the screen, and Wahlberg was the same guy he was in The Italian Job, Shooter, Four Brothers, etc. Giovanni Ribisi as the bad guy was
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
... "We'll play again."
pimp.gif

Twists were solid, action (wasn't an overload) was awesome, and the storyline had its moments.

Gotta give it a 6/10. I might give it another watch at some point, which is why it gets a tad better than an average rating from me.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Has filming started on Django?

I didn't think it was coming out this year..
nerd.gif

pimp.gif
I didn't think so either. But IMDB says Christmas release, that'd be cool. Feels rushed though.

ve0qja.jpg

The Raid (Dir.Gareth Evans. Possible first American exposure. Hate just to say "Watch the trailer" but that's the best way I can do it justice. Just...holy crap this looks brutal!)

EVERYONE WATCH THIS TRAILER if you havent yet. Action movie of the year.

Holy !$$$, that looks !%#$@*% bad as %+%%!!!
smokin.gif
me:
Give me TDK Rises, Django, Lincoln (Day Lewis as Abe ), and Bourne Legacy (only because I love the Bourne trilogy so much, so eff it, might as well watch).
And The Raid.
laugh.gif

The first time I saw The Raid trailer I was about convinced it was the best trailer I had ever seen... It's everything a movie trailer should be.

I think the movie I'm most intrigued by for 2012 is Gravity... Very interested to see how it works on screen.

Ok, home stretch.  I have 3 episodes left.  Gus just took out the cartel, and that was an AWESOME few minutes, both the flashback to his "brother" getting clipped at the pool, and the return. 
eek.gif

I
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 at him walkin to the sniper.  I get the whole they need me alive angle, but let's be real, one dude has a sniper rifle, the other dude has only a face.  I'm keepin that face safely behind some walls for a bit and not takin a chance the dude sneezes or something with his finger on the trigger, but thas me.  I'm not exactly a chicken slinging drug lord so I wouldn't know.

Jesse has def entered my realm of like. 
smokin.gif
  That kid is way outperforming what I thought he was going too when season 1 started. 

Walt's speech to the wife when he tells her he's not afraid of them knocking on his door, he's the one knocking. 
eek.gif
pimp.gif
  Great scene. 

Gus talks only sligthly more than the twins. 
sick.gif
  I'd be ok with a little more dialogue from that guy. 

Both wives annoy me.  One @#$%^ out lookin at different homes stealin spoons and givin fake names, the other out givin away cash like she's Bill Gates. 
eyes.gif
  Hate both them @#$%^&*.  And Ska, I saw her comin a mile away.  I knew once she found out she was gonna end up helpin, least surprise of the show so far.  Now Walt, gettin drunk and screwin himself up by putting doubt in Hank's mind and havin him re-read thru that file again, that was a mistake I did not expect. 

Enough with Hank not walkin, get his @#$ back on his feet, tired of seein him limp around. 

3 left, gonna try and get them done before or after the Laker game tonight, I'll come thru in the morning after whatever happens.  I expect a big
eek.gif
 moment from all the pub/talk I saw on Twitter/here/FB a few months back. 

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

The first time I saw The Raid trailer I was about convinced it was the best trailer I had ever seen... It's everything a movie trailer should be.

Yup
laugh.gif
No dialogue? No care. The action is gonna be NUTS. I really hope the movie gets a wide release.

CP, you're gonna have to reevaluate your life if you let a Lakers game get in the way of finishing Breaking Bad. You know how the show's been on a rocket's pace these past few episodes? It gets faster and more intense. Get ready to cry out of joy from being allowed to see Bryan Cranston and Co. bless the world with perfection*. You have no idea how big of a
eek.gif
moment you'll have.

*Perfection may be a strong word there... but it's perfect. It just is. I bet you thought I'd say it wasn't actually perfect, but it is.

Only thing that worries me about that trailer is that they give away too much.

Great, there will be action, I hope all of it isn't spoiled in that trailer.

Back
Top Bottom