Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I always wondered what if an overachieving successful small company chose not to scale and maintain the quality of what they already do.

I trust in A24. They pick elite films to distribute and if they have the means to deliver higher quality large-budget films, I'm on board. If they want to use this new strategy to start producing more small-budget films too and provide a means for more unknown directors, even better!

No Oscar bait.

Did you like Larry Crowne?

This is that, only grumpier/sadder, less uplifting but equally enjoyable story involving people in your life. Very enjoyable film.
Never saw Larry Crowne.
To me, 'Oscar bait' means something very specific. It's a movie excellently done... but overall pointless, or even worse: a waste of time.

'Oscar bait' that is well done but doesn't really serve a purpose is a bedazzled vacuum. Like, that's nice, but I just want to vacuum. I don't need all these frills.

'Oscar bait' that is actually a detriment is a bedazzled hammer. Like, now you ruined my hammer because I can't even use it for what it's intended to be used for. That was a complete waste of time.

And the description I'm giving you right now is part of the main character's character. Otto is a gump (pun intended), and you are seeing how his little block thinks of him, and what he thinks of them.

To me, any 'Oscar bait' can be described as 'Full of sound & fury but signifying nothing.' This movie is very significant. I always say in my critique of movies that the #1 thing I need to really value a movie is character struggle that challenges you at least a little bit.

Yes, yes, this is very much does.

Absolutely phenomenal.
Sounds like "grumpy old man learns to love after shutting himself away from the world" type of film. Which are very hit or miss for me. But I'll keep an open mind on this one and add it to the list.
It's also free on Netflix. I can't say it's the perfect movie but definitely a solid 6.5/8 that has a good mix of humor, drama, heartfelt moments and very sad scenes. It was kind of Gran Torino-esque with less focus on youths and more of your "golden" years.
Well, now, I didn't like Gran Torino. Not because it's a bad film, but because Clint went ahead and taught me many slurs I didn't know existed yo demean people who look like my older family members. That said I know Tom Hanks isn't flagrant with the racism so I won't write off Otto because of that.

IMG_6735.jpeg

33 minutes into They Live and the main character is just adjusting his sunglass game

This one has been slept on for a little too long….
IMG_6766.jpeg
This film right here is a sleeper.
By the time the first act ends you’re deep in a new looking Espionage vs Terrorist Memoor.
I fell asleep about 20min in last night and picked it back up this a.m.
Thought about skipping work to finish this.
I have never seen Crowe so annoying

Where else can you even physically browse media anymore?
I still go to Barnes and Noble every month or so and yea their DVD/CD section is obviously a shell of what it was 10+ years ago but they still have an ok selection. In my local one they relegated the media upstairs and it only uses a little corner of that area, probably like 1/10th of the floor.

Back
Top Bottom