Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I’ll just say Rose wins out in a Cal battle but I think Cal’s worst qualities could’ve been contained had he not dealt with an in-life Leo DiCaprio saving his girl, and a shipwreck. We need to keep perspective.

jpzx jpzx By any chance, do you happen to know what became of the Master in Arms? Did he make it out ok? I know I can google the answer, but I would rather ask you.

There were two Master-at-Arms, Thomas King and Henry Bailey. In the movie we just see one, who is never credited by name.

Bailey survived and commanded one of the lifeboats, King did not survive. We don’t know which of the two the actor was playing since he never was called by name or credited by name.

But it is thought the actor is Bailey (the one who survived, because of the close resemblance of the character’s appearance to the actual Bailey).

IMG_3186.jpeg

Bailey went on to serve in World War I and died in 1943 at 77 years old.

The final scene with the shot of the wreckage site “coming back to life” so to speak and seeing the passengers happy and well in the beautiful room with the grand staircase is amongst my favorite in the entire film

I almost cry each time :lol: all the characters out of focus you can spot that died. Captain Smith up at the railing, Cora and Tommy Ryan when she first walks in, Fabricio, John Astor, Cpt. Murdoch, Thomas Andrews, on and on. Who has an unhealthy love affair with this movie? Me, and I say it proudly.

I really really really didn’t like Jack Reynor in MIDSOMMAR.
After seeing him in The Peripheral I now know it was specifically his character in MIDSOMMAR that I did not like, at all.

He’s great in The Peripheral. Chloe looks great and kills it but he makes the show. He’s so believable in his role as retried JARHEAD with his head still about him.

I’ll just say Rose wins out in a Cal battle but I think Cal’s worst qualities could’ve been contained had he not dealt with an in-life Leo DiCaprio saving his girl, and a shipwreck. We need to keep perspective.

I’ll agree with you on that point. Cal’s no saint. This is him at rock bottom. But you best believe: if I’m the epitome of wealth and class, freshly engaged to a dimepiece, with a jewel worth all the gold in Fort Knox…….

I’m absolutely gonna pull the yoppa out when a poor gambling addicted immigrant illegally boards that ship, steals that jewel (I don’t think Cal knew about the setup), and steals my bride to be. This isn’t Nam. There are rules.

I’ll agree with you on that point. Cal’s no saint. This is him at rock bottom. But you best believe: if I’m the epitome of wealth and class, freshly engaged to a dimepiece, with a jewel worth all the gold in Fort Knox…….

I’m absolutely gonna pull the yoppa out when a poor gambling addicted immigrant illegally boards that ship, steals that jewel (I don’t think Cal knew about the setup), and steals my bride to be. This isn’t Nam. There are rules.
for some reason, your statement somehow reverts me back to that infamous scene in JARHEAD.

You know how there’s those special movies, or even songs, that you could watch or listen to, over and over, no matter how you’re feeling, and continuously find more things to like about it? For me, this is one such movie. Happiest of Birthday’s Batman Returns. Love you always and forever

Batman-Returns-Vintage-Movie-Poster-Original-1-Sheet-27x41_00c23a67-0c43-4d16-b16f-e47d1b6ff974.jpg

It was a one-time watch for me, even as one of the biggest KG and Sandler fans out there.

The intrigue was the anxiety I felt when he was sneaking peeks at the games he was betting on and causing riffs with his family if they knew he was betting, because I’ve been there. :lol:

Stopped betting a year ago outside of NT, voluntarily, and I’ve loved sports more as a result.

When we have a big movie discussing point-assist-rebound props, that’s right up a sports bettors anguished alley.

Then the scene with the locked door as he wins the bet, and lets them out thinking it’s cool. Shocking, but a lesson if you were a big timer in Vegas with potential to go down a blackhole. :lol:

Also was Julia Fox’s 15 minutes. She’s dropped off.
I see. I'm neither a bettor or a Sandler fan, and I wouldn't call myself the biggest KG fan. Appreciated his talent and I was a fan of what he brought to the table, but I wouldn't be giddy if he was in one of my favorite franchises.

So I guess I don't get the appeal on those 3 levels.

Uncut Gems: 4/8
The plot was terrible. Character development was non-existent. The pace was frantic af. The ending was about as predictable an ending as I've ever seen. Like, that's how it was always going to play out for buddy.

Damn near hated it. So naturally, without looking through the thread for C CP1708 's take, I am POSITIVE that he loved it; LOVED it.

I think I just don't 'get' A24. I cannot imagine any reason I would suggest any of their movies to anyone. I think there's ONE that I liked that I later learned was their product. Can't remember it now. Gonna look through their catalog real quick...

Uncut Gems: 4/8
The plot was terrible. Character development was non-existent. The pace was frantic af. The ending was about as predictable an ending as I've ever seen. Like, that's how it was always going to play out for buddy.

Damn near hated it. So naturally, without looking through the thread for C CP1708 's take, I am POSITIVE that he loved it; LOVED it.
The movie is about addiction and how difficult it is for people to change, and how destructive it is to those around you. Change doesn't happen in 1 or 2 days. The ending was always going to be what it was. Sandler's teeth bothered the **** out of me. Other than that, loved it.

Watch "Good Time" next.

I think I just don't 'get' A24. I cannot imagine any reason I would suggest any of their movies to anyone. I think there's ONE that I liked that I later learned was their product. Can't remember it now. Gonna look through their catalog real quick...
OH they have their fair share of trash but they have at least 15 5-6 Films that you either like or would.
Have to have.
Have to.

OH they have their fair share of trash but they have at least 15 5-6 Films that you either like or would.
Have to have.
Have to.
Just looked at their catalog. The VVitch and Hereditary have been the closest I've come to liking something from A24, and even those are pretty far away from what I would say that I like.

Back
Top Bottom