Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

The movie is about addiction and how difficult it is for people to change, and how destructive it is to those around you. Change doesn't happen in 1 or 2 days. The ending was always going to be what it was. Sandler's teeth bothered the **** out of me. Other than that, loved it.
I get that, but he has a compulsion, not an addiction.

Semantics aside, I just... I am very, VERY well aware of the destruction behind both. "Go behind the scenes of compulsive and addictive behavior." Like, again? I've lived through that.

How many A24 movies have you seen
Uncut Gems
Hereditary
Lady Bird
The VVitch

Not much compared to their entire catalog, but 4 movies into Quentin Tarantino or Pixar, and you've got a feel. Four movies in, no part of me is like "Oh I need more A24 in my life! They are so intriguing!"

Uncut Gems
Hereditary
Lady Bird
The VVitch

Not much compared to their entire catalog, but 4 movies into Quentin Tarantino or Pixar, and you've got a feel. Four movies in, no part of me is like "Oh I need more A24 in my life! They are so intriguing!"
A24 is primarily a distributor. There's not necessarily a singular "feel" for the movies they attach their name to. Like, the more popular films you see from them are usually "weird" or "elevated horror" films because those generate the word of mouth. But they move any and all types of films.

There's about nothing in common between The Last Black Man in San Francisco compared to Hereditary, except the A24 name. So don't write off a movie because some of the popular A24 films didn't scratch your itch; you'll miss out on too much.

A24 is primarily a distributor. There's not necessarily a singular "feel" for the movies they attach their name to. Like, the more popular films you see from them are usually "weird" or "elevated horror" films because those generate the word of mouth. But they move any and all types of films.

There's about nothing in common between The Last Black Man in San Francisco compared to Hereditary, except the A24 name. So don't write off a movie because some of the popular A24 films didn't scratch your itch; you'll miss out on too much.
That makes sense.

Do you consider yourself well versed in A24? If I told you that my favorite element of a plot is character development, and if I told you that my favorite movies involve an intense psychological struggle (Precious, Good Will Hunting, Silver Linings Playbook, John Q, Antwone Fisher), do you feel like you have some A24 recommendations?

A24 also did Moonlight.
Screenshot_20230616_114620_JustWatch.jpg

*added*

That definitely looks promising. Knocking that out tonight.

darthska darthska

ROOM- really good

Screenshot_20230616_114849_JustWatch.jpg

Scratch my previous post. Probably knocking this one out tonight. This is probably going to be a mental mind**** for me, having been locked in a room, tortured, starved, and kept from the outside for 2 years. I've never seen it depicted in film accurately, but one thing I can say about A24 so far is they go to great lengths to depict a realistic feel for whatever they're portraying.

That makes sense.

Do you consider yourself well versed in A24? If I told you that my favorite element of a plot is character development, and if I told you that my favorite movies involve an intense psychological struggle (Precious, Good Will Hunting, Silver Linings Playbook, John Q, Antwone Fisher), do you feel like you have some A24 recommendations?
Moonlight would have been my first shout. Absolute masterpiece.

Under the Skin is a good slow-burn about being alien in an unfamiliar world... lots of identity crisis in that one.

The Last Black Man... blew me away. Great film on gentrification, identity and family.

Swiss Army Man is a low-key banger of a mental-health movie. Silly af up front and it'll probably test your patience, but I personally love it.

Ex Machina has been mentioned.

Screenshot_20230616_114849_JustWatch.jpg

Scratch my previous post. Probably knocking this one out tonight. This is probably going to be a mental mind**** for me, having been locked in a room, tortured, starved, and kept from the outside for 2 years. I've never seen it depicted in film accurately, but one thing I can't say about A24 so far is they go to great lengths to depict a realistic feel for whatever they're portraying.
Oh yeah, this one will be tough for you.

, having been locked in a room, tortured, starved, and kept from the outside for 2 years.
Wow, I read this 2-3 times over like is that what he said?
I don't even know how to respond to that, Glad you survived that?
Have you written/spoken about this at all here or anywhere?
Just last year I remember that Girl who escaped from her Home where her and her siblings were Captive for their entire lives and completely deprived of anything Normal while her Father went to and from work daily and the Mother stayed at home with the kids Captives.
Absolutely blew my mind but also put into perspective how real these things are outside of Film and Books.
Eager to read your feedback on the FILM.

Wow, I read this 2-3 times over like is that what he said?
I don't even know how to respond to that, Glad you survived that?
Have you written/spoken about this at all here or anywhere?
At random times over the years on here, yes. In person even less. I learned as a young adult that it usually makes things pretty awkward, and then you also have people who don't believe you, or people who try to relate with "Yeah, my childhood sucked, too. My mom was such a freaking alcoholic and my dad used to cuss us all out every night." And like, there's no such thing as the Trauma Olympics, but... I'm not typically one to 'Yeah, me, too" when someone mentions something. But yeah, I really just stopped mentioning it in person somewhere along the way.

Been working on a book about my step-mom the last few years, even if just for my own... "sanity," as suggested by a therapist a few years ago after hearing ALL of everything.

At random times over the years on here, yes. In person even less. I learned as a young adult that it usually makes things pretty awkward, and then you also have people who don't believe you, or people who try to relate with "Yeah, my childhood sucked, too. My mom was such a freaking alcoholic and my dad used to cuss us all out every night." And like, there's no such thing as the Trauma Olympics, but... I'm not typically one to 'Yeah, me, too" when someone mentions something. But yeah, I really just stopped mentioning it in person somewhere along the way.

Been working on a book about my step-mom the last few years, even if just for my own... "sanity," as suggested by a therapist a few years ago after hearing ALL of everything.
Damn that's crazy man, sorry you had to go through that

sneeker sneeker This article makes a pretty convincing case for the Pro Cal crowd :lol:

I read it in it’s entirety last night. Thought you might appreciate it

https://amp.barstoolsports.com/blog...he-movie-meanwhile-jack-and-rose-are-terrible
thanks. I must say that I'm not the biggest Titanic movie fan but I do liked the film. but after several rewatches we get into some form of clarity as to the character for what they are. they are not defined on who is the good guy or a bad guy but rather we see and judge based on their behavior/actions and who they portray in the movie. most of the audience overlook this fact and are rather misled or distracted with the whole love story between Rose and Jack. they look at one perspective mainly from Rose or Jack's rather see it in the point of view of Cal. as much as I like to have fun with some of our fellow NTers who are Pro-Rose, in all seriousness the other party have a valid point as well and just because we love to have both those guys have their love story that the audience fail to acknowledge or ignore the other side. the supposed main characters are not perfect and I would say that it is one of those movies that the antagonist (bad guys) of the film that we root for even if they are nasty. if I must say that the Titanic has that same agenda as the movie "MY BESTFRIEND's WEDDING".

speaking of such film with somehow have some similar love story and infidelity plot, I love this movie a lot..............

criminally underrated compared to something like the Titanic. atleast the leading lady is not as despicable as Rose.

speaking of such film with somehow have some similar love story and infidelity plot, I love this movie a lot..............

criminally underrated compared to something like the Titanic. atleast the leading lady is not as despicable as Rose.

Never seen it. Love Streep.
It's on prime.
*added*

Damn, man I am sorry to hear you went through all that |l Whenever I watch movies based on captive situations I always think about how I’m not built for that. Glad you survived and are here with us today :nthat:

Turpin, Jordan Turpin darthska darthska
Did you happen to catch this story last year when it happened?

Seeing her and how she is now, after going through something like that, makes me want to do better.
Same with you, a pretty solid Guy with great character and wholesome grounding, after going through something like that, always reminds me I can do better.
Somebody somewhere has it worse than I, no matter what kind of ****** situation I find myself in.

Turpin, Jordan Turpin darthska darthska
Did you happen to catch this story last year when it happened?
"a life of horrific abuse and captivity at the hands of their parents... who are now in prison for beating, shackling and starving 12 of their 13 children"

I know their mental anguish. Hopefully they get to experience the weight lifted by their parents' death like I got to experience when my stepmom began Rotting in Pieces almost 30 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom