Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

love The Crown

an 8/8 stud of a show
I remembered you posting that it was really good, in the NETFLIX thread, and you were right, it is 
pimp.gif

I'm on episode 3 now where she's just been made Queen Regent. 

Going to start it back up now.

Well Zik, it's a nice ending in the sense that at the beginning I thought the flashbacks were flashbacks and the best part of her life was behind her. But that assumption was wrong. They were really flash forwards.

I understand that she has sad things coming for her in the future but she has good things coming for her too. Memories that she will make with her husband and kid. It would've been way sadder if all the scenes were flashbacks and there was nothing at all to look forward to.

Also I love how at the end of the movie it says Arrival instead of The End

And love how the aliens communicate in different variations of circles

Symbolic for how they see life.
Her daughters name is also Hannah, a palindrome. It reads the same front to back or back to front. Same structure as the Film and the Language that the Helpatods spoke with circular patterns.

Well Zik, it's a nice ending in the sense that at the beginning I thought the flashbacks were flashbacks and the best part of her life was behind her. But that assumption was wrong. They were really flash forwards.

I understand that she has sad things coming for her in the future but she has good things coming for her too. Memories that she will make with her husband and kid. It would've been way sadder if all the scenes were flashbacks and there was nothing at all to look forward to.

Also I love how at the end of the movie it says Arrival instead of The End

And love how the aliens communicate in different variations of circles

Symbolic for how they see life.
I was much more aware and in tune with the balance of the plot and subplot with her daughter. I don't have that view of good things to look forward to necessarily.

A parent out living their child is never a good thing. Also she didn't have to tell him at all especially when it can't be prevented. Could've had more memories with Hawkeye.

And given the ability to change the past (and thus the future given time is not linear) with that whole knowing the final words of that Chinese dude's wife she could've changed that.

I think she wouldn't have lived her life any other way. That's why, knowing everything that was going to happen, she chose to get with dude anyway. She could've been like, na F it, not worth it to go through all that. As far as choosing to tell Hawkeye about her daughter's illness, well, she could've delayed telling him but maybe she thought it wasn't worth it? I mean dude really told her that she made the wrong choice, (in choosing to have a kid with him). Dude sounds soft for wanting to have a pain free life without a daughter than having a daughter to mourn

Last edited:
John Wick 2 was too long. Not realistic at all with like 99% of the people being assassins. Not sure what the deal was with that. The next movie needs to have a more likeable bad guy. Someone charasmatic. This one sucked. Ruby Rose meh.

2/8. Would not watch again.

Jk. It was fun and the gratuitous violence was like 9/8 compared to #1. Ruby Rose [emoji]128525[/emoji] Needed more her. I did think the world of assassin subplot was interesting too. Will anticipate #3 and how they play that in.

6.2/8 fun action, popcorn flick. Will watch again.

yeah that ending def wasn't all nice. it was pretty heavy actually.

It's a sad ending if you look at it in a linear fashion (her dying alone) but chick is not dying alone cuz she's experiencing life in a nonlinear fashion now. She's living and dying and everything in between at the same time now.

SMH at all the stuff possible in the movie but cancer still taking people. If I was hawkeye i'd be in my sad and angry feels too.

SMH at all the stuff possible in the movie but cancer still taking people. If I was hawkeye i'd be in my sad and angry feels too.

*SPOILERS*

I loved the movie but yeah have to smh at a bunch of things people brought up in here. Hawkeye leaving a person who can see the future because reasons? He didn't believe her? They could have left the part about him leaving out, it doesn't make sense and it doesn't affect the story. Just trying to make me feel sorry for Adams when she has the cry face.

Also, the beings can see the future "non-linearly" but they can't see that tapping on the glass was the best way to get Adams to learn their language. It just seems like being able too see the future, they could have sped up the language barrier process a little bit and avoided the whole nation conflict thing.

*SPOILERS*

I loved the movie but yeah have to smh at a bunch of things people brought up in here. Hawkeye leaving a person who can see the future because reasons? He didn't believe her? They could have left the part about him leaving out, it doesn't make sense and it doesn't affect the story. Just trying to make me feel sorry for Adams when she has the cry face.

Also, the beings can see the future "non-linearly" but they can't see that tapping on the glass was the best way to get Adams to learn their language. It just seems like being able too see the future, they could have sped up the language barrier process a little bit and avoided the whole nation conflict thing.
I think her husband being a part of her life and her eventually telling him about the kid and him eventually leaving her is all essential to the entire story.
As far as the Heplatods being able to see the future and therefore speed up the process of talking to her, :rofl:

I mean are you just wanting to rewrite the story and make it a 5minute movie for the convenience of convenience?

Who wants to watch that story unfold?
Instead of a 2 hour movie called arrival it'd just be a 5 minute short called "The Arrival of non-Hostile beings that bring us a New Language and Leave" :rofl:

Why not

The heptapods knew that she needed to be the one to take the first step first. She did that by introducing herself as human. They also knew that they needed to take the process one step at a time. They knew that they couldn't tap on the glass until she was ready.

Its like we all know our kids are going to be able to run. We don't need the future for that. But our kids got to have that first step first. And then they got to stand first. And then they got to walk. Ain't nothing speeding up that process, even though you know that one day your kid gun be able to run.

As far as avoiding the nation conflict thing. The heptapods knew that they needed to come together on their own. No way to speed up that process.

And the husband didn't leave her cuz he didn't believe her. He left her because he did.

Last edited:

At first I thought it was cancer too. But we don't know if it was. It could've been a new disease. She never said what it was. If it was something like cancer, with her knowledge the daughter dying should be easily preventable. In real life, half the battle when it comes to fighting cancer is early detection.

When ppl die from cancer, it's usually because they find out they have cancer when it's too late.

Last edited:
All this arrival talk made me just watch the movie.
Literally I said screw it last night and instead of sleeping watched.

My goodness what a movie :wow:

I'm still so confused but still in so much awe. I watched the video breakdown you guys posted 2 pages ago and that definitely helped.

Also, opening up your spoilers and reading the perspective helps too.

But man, complete head ****.

So much to take in. Is there an Arrival thread?
I need to see more discussion on it!

Movie is amazing man

All this arrival talk made me just watch the movie.
Literally I said screw it last night and instead of sleeping watched.

My goodness what a movie :wow:

I'm still so confused but still in so much awe. I watched the video breakdown you guys posted 2 pages ago and that definitely helped.

Also, opening up your spoilers and reading the perspective helps too.

But man, complete head ****.

Movie is amazing man

Bruh I was mesmerized. What a mind ****

When I realized what was going on I was like

Reactions: TXZ
yeah that ending def wasn't all nice. it was pretty heavy actually.

It's a sad ending if you look at it in a linear fashion (her dying alone) but chick is not dying alone cuz she's experiencing life in a nonlinear fashion now. She's living and dying and everything in between at the same time now.
Doesn't matter if you look at it linear or circular or just at random.

The daughter still dies at some point, so it's still sad. That's the heavy really sad point that is inescapable.

Compare that to a lady in a loving marriage, having kids and grandchildren that dies of old age in her sleep. Not sad at all. Cuz she lived a full life.

Really isn't a way you can look at it or explain it that doesn't have that tragic event.

*SPOILERS*

He left because she told him their daughter would die young and there was nothing he could do about it.

She got with him, had his child, knowing full well their daughter would die. I'd be immensely angry with any woman witholding that info for 2 reasons; 1. Why the **** would you even tell me? Why? There's no point. Could've not told him at all instead of waiting after the child was born and he'd be with both of them until the end and maybe even after with her. 2. You knew this **** and still got with me. Its somewhat selfish. The future can be changed so it didn't even have to go down like that.

As for the aliens, cuz they don't see time in a linear fashion I'm not even sure they properly grasp the concept of a past, present and future until being able to communicate with them. They came to help humanity because humanity will help them but from their perspective humanity may have already helped them. Becomes a chicken and egg situation.

Last edited:
She didn't tell him? I thought she told him up front from the beginning and he just rejected it thinking she was wrong. By all means if she knew, with held it, and still went through with it all I can understand why you'd be upset.

Also, another thing that bothers me: so the entire population of earth is going to learn how to see time non-linearly after she teaches people yes? Soooo potentially millions and billions of humans being able to see the future in some way, doesn't that pose some slight problems with how the future can change based off what you know before it happens? I mean yeah in her case she chose to keep everything the same, but that's 1 person. Suppose the next person decides to not have that kid, or not take that plane ride etc etc etc.

Again, great story, loved the movie from beginning to end, it just bugs me how hard it is to make any of it plausible.

The future couldn't be changed tho. It was going to happen, they showed her. It wasn't gonna be altered.

I wouldn't see the point in her telling dude since he doesn't experience time like she does. If you lived time in a non linear manner, would you rob yourself of potential happiness too early?

I'm thinking only a few would actually learn to see time in a non linear fashion like she does. Like you got to be immersed in the alien language to the point where you dream in their language to get to see time in a different way.

Like there was a crap ton of translators from other countries that knew the basics enough to know that the aliens were offering (or demanding) a weapon. But she was the only one who changed Chinese dude's mind.

So I don't think you'd have to worry about half the planet perceiving time in a different way.

Last edited:
The future couldn't be changed tho. It was going to happen, they showed her. It wasn't gonna be altered.

I guess I'm not understanding. She keeps having visions of her daughter, who is dying, and she later understands that it's her future yes? So she knew before she was ever married with kids, that her daughter was going to die of some disease. So knowing this info, couldn't she decide to never get married and never have kids? Or am I missing some part of the info? She only can see this future because that's really the choice she's going to make and wouldn't see it if deep down she would never make that choice?

Movie is amazing man
There is a thread but it's dormant. 

I was going to bump it because I'd love to discuss this Film.

I just don't think I'd enjoy all of the discussion that would go on so I didn't even post and bump.

I'm just going to read every article I find on it(I've bookmarked 7 to date) and I have a few videos in line to watch as well.

Not ready to read or watch those yet though personally.

Last edited:

I guess I'm not understanding. She keeps having visions of her daughter, who is dying, and she later understands that it's her future yes? So she knew before she was ever married with kids, that her daughter was going to die of some disease. So knowing this info, couldn't she decide to never get married and never have kids? Or am I missing some part of the info? She only can see this future because that's really the choice she's going to make and wouldn't see it if deep down she would never make that choice?
She was always going to make the choices that she made.

She married and got kids because that was the future she wanted. She was willing to accept all of the future, good and bad. Like she felt the good moments was worth the pain.

Back
Top Bottom