Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

the new blade runner trailer peaked my interest, so thought id watch the original thinking itd be the same...i was wrong, so wrong, couldnt get through more than 1 hour...

is something wrong with me? plz help...:\
Nope.

Blade Runner was not a success when it came out. It became a cult hit the way Donnie Darko, Office Space, the Riddick movies, Memento, My Dinner with Andre, Fight Club, etc. did.

If you don't like it there's nothing particularly wrong with your tastes. Cult classics and the like are even more so subjective favorites.

The thing is around the 2000s movies with cult followings, going as far back to movies made in the 40s, have gained popularity and mainstream notoriety to a point you may think they're universally loved when that may not be the case. For example, The Birds - it's no cinematic classic (outside of studying Hitchcock's directorial style and Hitchcockian storytelling) but it's Hitchcock and given the time it came out it has a certain appeal, Army of Darkness (Sam Raimi), A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick is not for everyone), Wes Anderson (one can argue his entire filmography is nothing but cult classics :lol: )

For me there's Tree of Life or The New World. I did not like those movies at all. They're both Terrence Malick movies so not a surprise but they can be considered cult classics. The man is talented and has a following.

But that kinda goes in to the whole great directors who have what seems like a dud but is a cult classic (Ridley Scott's Blade Runner in your case) compared to directors who are one hit wonders that manage a cult classic movie.

Man, sometimes Zik, you just type out the exact words I would say. It's crazy. Are we related bro??

I started Oz this weekend after years of putting it off for no real reason.

Three episodes in but so far I'm into it.

ditched Girl on the Train, gonna watch White Girl, it had some festival buzz last year hopefully it doesn't disappoint

haven't watched it for a few years but blade runner final cut is a fantastic movie and imo it holds up well enough. it's easily in my top 10 favorite sci-fi movies. i even have a book on the making of the movie.

watched Blade Runner when I was trying to complete a film noir list, couldn't get into it mainly because I don't like sci-fi.

Man, sometimes Zik, you just type out the exact words I would say. It's crazy. Are we related bro??
Cinema/tv bros :smokin

:nthat:

Did the same a couple weeks ago. I'm in the middle of season 3 right now
:nthat:

Saw Moonlight this morning and thought it was good enough to break into my 2016 top 5.

Rogue One
Arrival
La La Land
Moonlight
Kubo

Still need to watch Manchester, Handmaiden, Jackie, etc.

Fassbender as Jobs.Man, he really really did Jobs a solid by taking this role.

Last edited:

Did the same a couple weeks ago. I'm in the middle of season 3 right now
Oz is
pimp.gif

I'm glad I watched it when I was older though.

That joint was a little too real about prison life at times.
laugh.gif

Just saw "Whiplash" again. JK Simmons truly deserved that Oscar, man. Dude's performance is legendary. :smokin

Good movie but such a ****** up story I avoid it when it's on tv.

Ya daughter dead, kill the wrong guy, other dude was molested when they were younger :x :smh:

Last edited:
You mean the time gap in which it aired? It's been 3 years since series 3 finished up and a year since The Abominable Bride special.

last few

the girl on the train 5/8 pretty bland. some decent performances i guess

gemma bovery 6/8 nice lil british/French dramedy ... watched on a whim when i was bored and glad i did. gemma arterton's body is :wow:

whiskey tango foxtrot- 6.5/8 really enjoyed this. nice cast, funny, handled romantic moments that couldve been really corny pretty well

the girl with all the gifts 6.75/8

spiritual successor to 28 days later. paddy considine was great as the sergeant, arterton was nice to look at. nicely shot and the score is some really creepy, terrifyingly awesome stuff

I'm one of the few who has no idea what Girl on the Train is about. Can someone tell me if it's horror/thriller ?? Horror movies usually bore the life  outta me

It's like a suspenseful mystery. Just watch the trailer, it gives you a good idea of what it's about.

Well that was a cold way to start the season. Unless it's another tired fake death scenario.
They been getting darker. Watched the ep like damn I don't got much hope going forward.

Ep was like something that could've been a finale :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom