Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Just rewatched Godfather II and thought the last 5 minutes were incredibly poignant:

When Mike tells his family on Vito's birthday that he left college to join the Marines --

- Sonny gets physically violent and pissed

- Tom Hagen is shocked and tries to be rational/reasonable

- Fredo is a bit naive and congratulates Michael

When they all leave to surprise Vito --

- Michael stays at the dinner table, smoking a cigarette by himself -- truly a lone wolf

^ Yep, and he gets reprimanded by Tom/Sonny when he congratulates Mike -- basically his entire character in 10 seconds

Here's the scene -- flashback + present shot of Mike sitting alone and reminiscing when his family was all together

I'm still salty that I didn't take the Godfather class elective that was offered in my senior year of high school -- heard it was an awesome class dissecting the themes, characters, motivations, etc.

Last edited:
Fredo supported him cuz he was dumb. He didn't even grasp the gravity of the situation. Nthe expectations of the family and what Vito wanted for his son.

Even if they were a regular family, the idiot doesn't see why joining the marines during war time is dumb as **** :lol:

Last edited:
About to watch Conjuring 2.

1 was
pimp.gif
i swear by this series 
pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I didn't think it could get more ridiculous a gaddamn submarine! Charlizebae and Nathaliebae 
pimp.gif
 IN on day 1.

I should have watched this movie a year ago.

I have to be honest, I fell victim to the opinion or comment rather, where it was said "I don't want to see another Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper" film. I read that in here, along with a couple of other congruent posts when the film first came out and while I did agree in part, it was that comment and sentiment that pushed me far away from the Movie.

As we all know this thread is full of brilliant info and minds alike, and with that being said, never take anybody's opinion as your own.

Now, I see how one could be moved to put her on an Oscar list, for that.

Just another O. Russell flick to me.

I don't know how he did it but I truly am fed up of the combination of JLaw and Coop with him at the helm. W/e It is, the mystique has faded. Although DeNiro remains good.

I'm hopeful for Passengers though and Cooper's directorial debut, plus the Atlantic Wall.

In the same vein, while I've never enjoyed them as much, I hope Gosling and Stone manage to get back to consistent greatness whether together or separately.

Last edited:
Hateful Eight

4.5 / 8

- Some really strong performances here -- once again, Sam Jackson shows why Tarantino loves him

- I really liked Goggins here too -- dude has flown under the radar for a while now

- The storyline structure felt a bit too similar to Reservoir Dogs and wasn't as riveting

- Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Tarantino loves using the N word and has conveniently done so in his more recent films (but again, they're Westerns/set in those times) -- it just rubs me a bit wrong as he himself comes off like a corny white dude who tries to be cool and "down with the brothers"

Last edited:
I guess if you make this more and more about me and not that nonsense you were rambling about cuz you assumed too much you'll feel better?

Actually, it didn't make me feel better at all. That's why I haven't been on for a while. When I allow something that I do for recreation to actually irritate me, I find it's good to take a step back and re-prioritize. Plus, I was just in a weird mood the other day (and also drunk by the time I made my last couple posts).

As for the discussion we were having, if you say that I was reading something into your comments that wasn't there, I accept that. My bad.

Last edited:
The golden globes don't mean much but funny seeing deadpool get nominated for best musical or comedy and reynolds got a nom for it too.

I know people will be upset that mr robot didn't get nominated for best drama series.

The golden globes don't mean much but funny seeing deadpool get nominated for best musical or comedy and reynolds got a nom for it too.

That is funny, especially when you look at the other nominees in the category, which couldn't be more different. But the Globes seem like they want to be viewed as a more progressive, more fun alternative to the Oscars. So, it makes sense. Hope Deadpool wins it. Good luck to the producers of the show finding a clip from that movie to show during the broadcast that doesn't have to be heavily edited. :lol:

Some other interesting things about the Globe nominations. LaLa Land got a ton. I'm not a musical guy, so I wasn't that excited to see it previously, but I'm starting to get more interested. Must be pretty good.

Westworld and GOT going up against each other in the best TV drama category.

My girl Wynona Ryder getting a nom for Stranger Things. :nthat: (Even though I've never seen Stranger Things - I've just always liked Wynona).

Last edited:
Hateful Eight

4.5 / 8

- Some really strong performances here -- once again, Sam Jackson shows why Tarantino loves him
- I really liked Goggins here too -- dude has flown under the radar for a while now
- The storyline structure felt a bit too similar to Reservoir Dogs and wasn't as riveting
- Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Tarantino loves using the N word and has conveniently done so in his more recent films (but again, they're Westerns/set in those times) -- it just rubs me a bit wrong as he himself comes off like a corny white dude who tries to be cool and "down with the brothers"

Saw this last night. I would have given it a 5.5/8 just off the performances alone. Kurt Russell and Sam Jackson. :smokin

Some other interesting things about the Globe nominations. LaLa Land got a ton. I'm not a musical guy, so I wasn't that excited to see it previously, but I'm starting to get more interested. Must be pretty good.

La La Land is the heavy favorite to win Best Picture, Best director, and Best actress so you should def check it out

La La Land seem like premium Oscar/critical bait.

Chazelle coming off Whiplash and doing a musical.

Gosling and Stone in a love story.

I'll peep it because I feel like I have to but I already have reservations.

Back
Top Bottom