Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Finally caved and copped Netflix.

NT show me the way 
nerd.gif

I'm starting with Luke Cage

Im in. war for planet of the apes looking good in the trailer. I always liked the OG version.

So if I remember correctly this current "trilogy" is not connected to the mark walhberg version correct?

Not going to derail the thread but there are Clear racial tones in planet of the apes og I don't know about the new ones as I refuse to watch

Last edited:

NT show me the way :nerd:

theres a lot better shows than luke cage. you should be good with any of the below.

black mirror
narcos
daredevil
stranger things
marco polo
love
making a murderer (documentary)
attack on titan (anime)

But let me talk about how interested I am in a movie about a 17 year old that dresses up as a spider and has super strength and can shoot spider webs from his wrists
tongue.gif

All joking aside, the apes movies are very entertaining, it's strange to hear reasons why people won't watch them. It fiction yes. It's entertaining, but not real.
laugh.gif

This is just the usual pessimism and skepticism when it comes to humanity being #1.

Yes, if you want to view life on Earth as a continuing state of competition between man and other species of animals, sure, we're "winning."
Its not a competion. Its just a statement of fact. Some interpret it wrong and/or choose to find meaning in it in order to then state an opinion that usually is irrelevant. Just approach it objectively. We are the dominant species on the planet.

Also, I don't know if you've been paying attention to, um, everything going on in the last year, but if ever there's been a time that warranted pessimism and skepticism about the direction humanity is heading, 2016 is it. But the good news there is that 2017 is only a few weeks away.

All right, Debbie Downer moment over. I'm going to go take my dogs on a walk now.
There's never not been a time for pessimists to justify their pessimism. Whether they're basing it on something credible or ridiculous.

Plus again, objectively speaking, 2016 could've been much worse if we're talking inevitable extincion of humanity or mankind inevitably dooming the planet. As things are, there hasn't been a huge jump toward either end.

NT show me the way 
nerd.gif

Starting with Luke Cage?

Nah, gotta start with Jessica Jones, which introduces Luke Cage.

Louis CK and Aziz Ansari are all of the funny.

The idea of intelligent monkeys warring with humans and replacing them is a joke when taken seriously and at best an interesting sci-fi concept.
Completely agree. That's exactly why I've never seen any of them, and have less than zero interest.
But let me talk about how interested I am in a movie about a 17 year old that dresses up as a spider and has super strength and can shoot spider webs from his wrists
tongue.gif
Either you think you've figured something out about me, or you're confused. If it's the former, there's little I can do about that because if you comfortable locking your opinion in without asking any questions, it is what it is.

But if it's the latter and you've noticed a few things that appear to be contradictory, I can't tell you what to do, but I know whan I'm at that place with someone, I try to ask questions over making assumptions and moving along.

(Forgot another possibility: the ol' "I was totally just joking" ezout.)

Its not a competion. Its just a statement of fact. Some interpret it wrong and/or choose to find meaning in it in order to then state an opinion that usually is irrelevant. Just approach it objectively. We are the dominant species on the planet..

Yes, it's a fact that is self-evident and that nobody would reasonably dispute, so I see no reason to point it out or celebrate it. It just is what it is. And I don't find it to be a reason to think less of animals or find it bothersome that a work of fiction would depict intelligent animals threatening man's dominance. That's all I'm saying.

And who decides what opinions are "irrelevant" and what opinions aren't? And relevant to what?

Attack on Titan? Wonder what's that about :nerd:

*edit

Hmm. I might watch.

great anime. would recommend.

NT show me the way :nerd:

theres a lot better shows than luke cage. you should be good with any of the below.

black mirror
narcos
daredevil
stranger things
marco polo
love
making a murderer (documentary)
attack on titan (anime)

Out of reps but thank you sir.

no problem. r. i. p. to your free time.

Attack on Titan? Wonder what's that about :nerd:

*edit

Hmm. I might watch.

2 years later and we still waiting on a new season of the anime. SMH.

i know :smh:

body is ready for season 2 coming out in the spring.

The idea of intelligent monkeys warring with humans and replacing them is a joke when taken seriously and at best an interesting sci-fi concept.
Completely agree. That's exactly why I've never seen any of them, and have less than zero interest.
But let me talk about how interested I am in a movie about a 17 year old that dresses up as a spider and has super strength and can shoot spider webs from his wrists :tongue:
Either you think you've figured something out about me, or you're confused. If it's the former, there's little I can do about that because if you comfortable locking your opinion in without asking any questions, it is what it is.

But if it's the latter and you've noticed a few things that appear to be contradictory, I can't tell you what to do, but I know whan I'm at that place with someone, I try to ask questions over making assumptions and moving along.

I was poking fun at you saying that you didn't watch the Apes movies because the idea is unrealistic then you immediately followed up by saying how you can't wait to see the new Spider-Man. Really was just joking though, I know everybody has their personal preferences and I never judge them for it. I mean, you have 50 teams in your avatar, I'm sure each one has a story, I don't judge

^^^ It really is interesting how people pick and chose when they're willing to suspend disbelief. And I'm guilty of it myself. Like, I never find myself questioning wizards, aliens, monsters or superheroes in movies. But then I was watching The Purge and found myself thinking, "this is ridiculous. This could never happen." LOL.

Some Spidey talk real quick.

So tell me why I'm supposed to hate The Amazing Spiderman.

I saw it for the first time last week at a friend's house. Not bad. I mean, not great, not terrible. I dug it, but I remember when it came out there was all this talk about it being abysmal and "Don't even bother" and what not. That's not the reason I didn't see it, but I remember the harsh and loud criticisms.

Also saw the beginning of the next one, with Jamie Foxx. In fact, I saw all the way up to where Jamie Foxx is introduced on screen, when Spidey runs into him and Foxx goes "I'm nobody" and Spidey says "I need you to be my eyes and ears out here." Again, I remember the criticisms of this one were harsh and loud. Why? Seemed decent.

Lastly, what in all of effs is this NEW one? 

I'm one of the ones that "ehhh'd" ASM1. Good, decent, not elite.

ASM2 however, to me, was the best Spiderman film we've seen. To me, that joint was outstanding. Perfect? No, could have used some rough edge work, but overall it was great imo.

The "new" one, is Marvel taking over finally. Starting with the cameo in Civil War, now they will bring him into the Marvel universe fully and not have him be a standalone hero like the previous five films. Now hes just "one of" a world filled with superheroes.

And as you knoe, Marvel doesn't miss. They're likely to put good money into the look and feel of Spiderman comics while also tying into their larger universe. In the preview, the scene of him trying to hold that ship together already looks like one of my favorite scenes in the Marvel-verse. Just beautiful.

Its not a competion. Its just a statement of fact. Some interpret it wrong and/or choose to find meaning in it in order to then state an opinion that usually is irrelevant. Just approach it objectively. We are the dominant species on the planet..

Yes, it's a fact that is self-evident and that nobody would reasonably dispute, so I see no reason to point it out
I see a reason to point it out when this all stems from a movie depicting the rise of intelligent primates and the fall of mankind in which I was talking about my overall dislike of the concept and then you guys then bring up how humanity is destroying the planet and that a bunch of other animals will one day out last us :lol:

or celebrate it.
Nothing to celebrate. I think you're forgetting or ignoring what I was saying overall in my post or even worse you assumed I was celebrating that simple fact.

And I don't find it to be a reason to think less of animals
If you concede we are the dominant species by definition in some shape or form other animals are lesser to some extent.

or find it bothersome that a work of fiction would depict intelligent animals threatening man's dominance. That's all I'm saying.
Maybe this is where you got confused. I don't find it bothersome. My inital post was voicing my dislike of the concept. Despite that, I even said in that same post the movies were cool (action, acting, drama, etc.) I mean the original had one helluva reveal (statue of liberty in the beach).

I just said I don't really rock with the idea. The post partially plays off my dislike for A.I. robot apocalypse flicks too :lol: Like when I do watch these movies I'm not rooting for that mark *** experiment Cesar. I rooted for Gary Oldman and I'll be rooting for Woody. Those are the good guys.

Regardless, even if I did find it bothersome, so what? Different ppl have different reasons for disliking all sorts of movies. Keep in mind this started with a movie. Some guys in here don't like war movies for what they feel it promotes or if they feel it's propaganda. That's just a difference of opinion.

No need to wax poetic about the downfall of man and humanity's alleged superiority complex.

And who decides what opinions are "irrelevant" and what opinions aren't? And relevant to what?
The opinion is irrelevant to the fact. That's just obvious. Talking about (and assuming) other ppl see it as a "competition" is irrelevant to the fact.

How is that relevant to my post where you bring up competition? You put that forward and I don't think that way so it's completely false. It has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

I was poking fun at you saying that you didn't watch the Apes movies because the idea is unrealistic then you immediately followed up by saying how you can't wait to see the new Spider-Man. Really was just joking though, I know everybody has their personal preferences and I never judge them for it. I mean, you have 50 teams in your avatar, I'm sure each one has a story, I don't judge
Oh, I picked up that that's where you were going.

Still doesn't negate what I originally responded with: either you think you've uncovered something, or you've picked up on what you believe is a contradiction, in which case asking questions would be more appropriate than thinking you've got it.

Second, "can't wait to see the new Spider-Man"? Man, what? 
laugh.gif
 If you're talking about the one with Foxx, I said "Seems decent." If you're talking about the actual newest release, I literally gave no opinion on it and said nothing about it. I asked "What's up with the new one?"

Yeah, "can't wait to see the new Spider-Man." 
laugh.gif

It really is interesting how people pick and chose when they're willing to suspend disbelief.
Same response to you: asking questions would be more appropriate than thinking you've got it.
I never find myself questioning wizards, aliens, monsters or superheroes in movies. But then I was watching The Purge and found myself thinking, "this is ridiculous. This could never happen." LOL.
See, like this:

So why is it that you can enjoy maybe Potter but you don't buy into Purge?

Last edited:
But let me talk about how interested I am in a movie about a 17 year old that dresses up as a spider and has super strength and can shoot spider webs from his wrists :tongue:

i chuckled.

Some Spidey talk real quick.

So tell me why I'm supposed to hate The Amazing Spiderman.

I saw it for the first time last week at a friend's house. Not bad. I mean, not great, not terrible. I dug it, but I remember when it came out there was all this talk about it being abysmal and "Don't even bother" and what not. That's not the reason I didn't see it, but I remember the harsh and loud criticisms.

Also saw the beginning of the next one, with Jamie Foxx. In fact, I saw all the way up to where Jamie Foxx is introduced on screen, when Spidey runs into him and Foxx goes "I'm nobody" and Spidey says "I need you to be my eyes and ears out here." Again, I remember the criticisms of this one were harsh and loud. Why? Seemed decent.

Lastly, what in all of effs is this NEW one? 

ASM2 however, to me, was the best Spiderman film we've seen. To me, that joint was outstanding. Perfect? No, could have used some rough edge work, but overall it was great imo.

The "new" one, is Marvel taking over finally. Starting with the cameo in Civil War, now they will bring him into the Marvel universe fully and not have him be a standalone hero like the previous five films. Now hes just "one of" a world filled with superheroes.

And as you knoe, Marvel doesn't miss. They're likely to put good money into the look and feel of Spiderman comics while also tying into their larger universe. In the preview, the scene of him trying to hold that ship together already looks like one of my favorite scenes in the Marvel-verse. Just beautiful.

asm2 was so great they scratched the remaining movies, rebooted the franchise without garfield and made a pact with marvel. yea, greatest spiderman to date.

Gotcha.

Haven't seen Civil War yet, but Spiderman is in it? Holding a ship together?

Gotcha.

Haven't seen Civil War yet, but Spiderman is in it? Holding a ship together?

He is in Civil War, and is great (and brief)

But no, the ship scene is in the preview for his full length film. Right at the end.

Back
Top Bottom