Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

People are still excited for a Malick fim, why ?

2016 Trying to give 1994 a run for its money with the epic movies

Outside of maybe 6 upcoming films, 2016 is no where near looking epic, imo

I think 2014 was a great year for film.

2007 was one of my favorite years for film releases in recent memory.

It's not so much that it's exciting because it's a Malik film, it's more that the cast consists of
Michael Fassbender
Ryan Gosling
Rooney Mara
Natalie Portman
Christian Bale
Cate Blanchett
Val Kilmer
Benicio Del Toro

And I agree with you that 2007 was an epic year. 2014....not so much

Watching Jurrasic World a 2nd time at home without the whole nostalgic theater experience it hits you pretty fast how mediocre of a movie it actually is :lol: frankly quite boring without enjoying the graphics in theater

I couldn't even finish it the 2nd time, turned on American Gangster again which I can watch 300 times :pimp:

Last edited:
It's not so much that it's exciting because it's a Malik film, it's more that the cast consists of
Michael Fassbender
Ryan Gosling
Rooney Mara
Natalie Portman
Christian Bale
Cate Blanchett
Val Kilmer
Benicio Del Toro

And I agree with you that 2007 was an epic year. 2014....not so much

See "Knight of Cups" & you'll understand why Malick having an A1 cast will still lead to rubbish.

And yes, 2014 was a wonderful year in film, imo:
Birdman
Gone Girl
Starred Up
Enemy
Whiplash
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Boyhood
Snowpiercer
It Follows
Nightcrawler
Edge of Tomorrow
A Most Violent Year
Foxcatcher
Wild
The Imitation Game
A Most Wanted Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Nymphomaniac pt 1 & 2
The Immigrant
Selma

Honorable Mention:
The Lego Movie
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar

RUMOR: Warner Brothers Purchased a $5 Million WW2 Plane for Christopher Nolan to Crash

Christopher Nolan has been hard at work shooting Dunkirk for almost a month now and I’ve been hearing some interesting details from inside the production. Not surprisingly, the detail oriented director is shooting practically as much as possible, using real WW2 era warships at the site of the original battle in Dunkirk, France until the first week or July before moving to Holland, the U.K. and then Los Angeles.

For the unfamiliar, Dunkirk is the true story centering on the rescue of 330,000 British, French and Belgium Allied troops after Germany effectively cut off and surrounded them at the harbor of Dunkirk, France during World War 2. The operation, consisting of over 800 boats is considered by many to be the greatest military operation in the history of mankind.

To bring the amazing true story to life Nolan has enlisted an all-star cast consisting of Tom Hardy, Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy and Fionn Whitehead, with smaller roles being filled out by Aneurin Barnard, Harry Styles, James D’Arcy, Jack Lowden and Barry Keoghan.

A source tells me that Warner Brothers recently signed a five million dollar check to purchase a vintage WW2 aircraft, (possibly a German Luftwafee) which will be outfitted with IMAX cameras to be used in what are sure to be some impressive sequences in the film. And when they’re done, they are going to crash it.

Buying and crashing a five million dollar plane might seem lavish and outrageous, but the source tells me that internally Warner Brothers are expecting Dunkirk to perform similarly to Nolan’s surprise runaway hit Inception, which earned more than $825M at the box office in 2010. Does Nolan really need to destroy an important piece of history? Probably not. Will it look amazing? I’m certain it will, but in an age of convincing digital effects it seems a bit unconscionable to me.

Dunkirk is set for release on July 21, 2017, but I’m told we could get our first look via a teaser trailer attached to Suicide Squad on August 5th.

Nolan gonna Nolan...

Watching Jurrasic World a 2nd time at home without the whole nostalgic theater experience it hits you pretty fast how mediocre of a movie it actually is :lol: frankly quite boring without enjoying the graphics in theater

I couldn't even finish it the 2nd time, turned on American Gangster again which I can watch 300 times :pimp:

For a second I thought you said Jurassic Park. You right tho. Jurassic World is fluff.

watched warcraft. my initial thought was LOL who in the hell gave that pile of crap the greenlight? movie was absolute dung.
then i looked it up and it looks like they made their money back in the box office and will probably rake in more through bluray sales and streaming sites.

watched warcraft. my initial thought was LOL who in the hell gave that pile of crap the greenlight? movie was absolute dung.
then i looked it up and it looks like they made their money back in the box office and will probably rake in more through bluray sales and streaming sites.

I read somewhere that it's doing well overseas, particularly China I think.

I think it's doing massive numbers in China. Saw a headline about it having a bigger opening than star wars tfa, didn't check out the story though. Movie has some good actors in it too.

granted, i watched a few parts of it kind of in the background as i multitasked at work but i finished the whole thing and it completely sucked imo. only thing i liked was some of the effects/cgi. i give it a 2/8.

i'm finally starting peaky blinders now. hopefully it removes the bad taste of warcraft from my memory.

Gambzilla, can you expound on the Wailing? I'm hyped for it to come to my city in a couple weeks.

Yeah, an all-star cast in a Malick film got me thinking "underwhelmed". Same way The Counselor let me down :smh:

Malick need to get on his existential super metaphysical **** with another genre. Do a mystery! Thriller!

Last edited:
ex-machina-2.gif

yeah, that was a great movie.

good looks to the people in this thread on the peaky blinders. on season 1, episode 3. really good so far.

See "Knight of Cups" & you'll understand why Malick having an A1 cast will still lead to rubbish.

And yes, 2014 was a wonderful year in film, imo:
Birdman
Gone Girl
Starred Up
Enemy
Whiplash
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Boyhood
Snowpiercer
It Follows
Nightcrawler
Edge of Tomorrow
A Most Violent Year
Foxcatcher
Wild
The Imitation Game
A Most Wanted Man
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Nymphomaniac pt 1 & 2
The Immigrant
Selma

Honorable Mention:
The Lego Movie
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar
I would agree with most of this list. Some duds on it for sure. And Guardians > X-Men.

Gambzilla, can you expound on the Wailing? I'm hyped for it to come to my city in a couple weeks.
It's mad long but if you made it through Batman V Superman this will be a cake walk. It's got some crazy supernatural and biblical elements. I went in pretty blind to the cast and the director but left really digging it. Definitely see it when you can.

It's mad long but if you made it through Batman V Superman this will be a cake walk. It's got some crazy supernatural and biblical elements. I went in pretty blind to the cast and the director but left really digging it. Definitely see it when you can.
Thanks man. I enjoyed the Chaser, and length is no issue for me. If it progresses through the mystery and is enjoyable, it'll fly by. BvS did not fly by. Definitely checking this movie on day 1 out here.

At what point does singer stop getting the benefit of the doubt and people just call him a bad director

There are a whole lot of film makers who have 1 solid film to their credit

DISCUSS

You could easily make this a list of 50.[/quote

What a great concept. I was looking at some directors and that top ten covered most of the ones I was thinking of.

On the flip side of this, has anybody heard of David Lean?

Great Expectations: won 2 Oscars

A Bridge on the River Kwai: won 7 Oscars

Lawrence of Arabia: won 7 Oscars

Doctor Zhivago: won 5 Oscars

Jesus Christ

Great Expectations won 2 Oscars? Had no idea.

Nevermind. I was thinking of the version with Ethan Hawke.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting so far. Only 2 eps in to what I assune is a 6 ep season (10 at best).

Last edited:

This is like when you're in a haunted house in your youth and the most unexpected thing is if something funny were to happen, and then your friend makes kind of a funny joke & it becomes 200% funnier because of its contrast to your/everyone your with's fear. Like this scene just came out of nowhere right when you realized how truly dire/creepy the circumstances the 'protagonist' was facing within the movie were. :lol: Loved it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom