* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Maybe he isn't a better fit for the triangle, but Pau Gasol has not at any point in his career been a better basketball player than Dirk Nowitzki..

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Maybe he isn't a better fit for the triangle, but Pau Gasol has not at any point in his career been a better basketball player than Dirk Nowitzki..
Agreed

Originally Posted by CP1708

I'm no where near with the "a few" before Dirk, but I can see the guys point with the PF on the perimeter.  That point, I am ok with. 

Pau, Dirk, Dirk Pau, whatever. 

In LA, I think Pau is the better fit.  Dirk couldn't cover for Bynum like Pau does, Pau can play with Bynum or Odom SEAMLESS.  Dirk could not do that.  So I get THAT argument. 

But Pau couldn't do anything close to what Dirk has done in terms of being the face of a franchise and get 50 wins for a decade.  Pau failed in the playoffs with Memphis, Dirk almost did get a ring.  He's had plenty of failures in the postseason, but he almost did get one.  And he went thru Tim to almost get it.  Can't knock that at all. 

But for this LA team, no way Dirk would be an upgrade for them over Pau.  Just not happening, not a good fit. 
Definitely agree with this.  Dirk is better if they were both given their own teams but Pau is a PERFECT fit for LA.

30t6p3b.gif
 they killed my boy Gillie's spirit.  He used to be a fun-loving guy.  Pretty much just like a Nate Robinson.  Just likes to have fun and pull pranks.  Hopefully, he can bounce back and just find a way to be himself again.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

For the triangle, definitely, it's not Dirk's style, but regardless, Dirk with Kobe would be disgusting.

I just can't see how Pau is better than Dirk.

Talk about perimeter player all you want, he's still dominant.

If you can be a dominant player and be a perimeter player at the same time, more power to you.

Pau is great because he's a great resource for the Lakers to have, a crafty player who can finish around the basket, a skillful big.

I can't believe CP, the guy who's always talking about if you don't win the ring, it doesn't matter, just gave Dirk props for almost getting his.

Individually, comparing their careers, you can't touch Dirk if you're comparing him to Pau Gasol.

Dirk is up there with Malone and Barkley as far as PF's go who just didn't get there IMO. Timmy, KG, McHale, they all got theirs, but Dirk is right below Malone and Barkley IMO.

The guy has had a fabulous career as THE franchise for the past 10 years.

Pau was unsuccessful until he got to LA. We all knew it'd be huge, but maybe not THIS huge (back-to-back, three trips to the finals, etc).

Pau was just a borderline all-star when he was in Memphis, but he was getting bounced every year like it was a normality.

Sure Dirk has had his fair share of first round exits, but he's had success as well.

^
I'm not as dumb as you guys think I am. 
laugh.gif
  Nor a homer either, I haven't forgotten one bit what Pau "was" in Memphis.  It's why I chuckle at dudes like Osh and Xtap that come in here beggin for Pau to be finals MVP's and what not.  Pau getting traded to us was great, but it wasn't like he was a top 10 guy in the league, people just saw Pau for Kwame and lost all rational thought. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And it's very very interesting timing to me that this came up, because I was watching Bosh last night........boy he likes taking jump shots.  That's fine and dandy in the preseason, but ummmm, that better change in a few months.  It will, right? 
See, I love preimeter guards/wings.  My favorite type players.  But 7 footers, 6-10 whatever, those dudes need to be near the bucket.  Dirk is a beast, no dispute, love watchin the guy play, but you HAVE to be at the rim when it's crunch time and it's time to win.  It's just something I believe and have seen for so long.  It's a reason I feel like Rasheed left a lot out there in his career.  It's nice to have the ABILITY to play out there, and be flexible like that, sure.  But if you're more "comfortable, proficient" outside then inside, then I see problems in your future. 

Did any of this have anything to do with 06?  I don't know.  Obviously I know a factor that did affect the series.

And I'm not totally sure on Dirk + Kobe.  Something just doesn't look right to me there.  The pick and pop would be stupid, but I dunno, just feel like there would be something not right.  I dunno if defensively it would work either, overall I know Dirk is better, but I think I would give Pau the edge defensively.  I dunno, I'll think about it some more. 

Not even one preseason game has been played yet and Jermaine O'Neal is already hurt.
laugh.gif

Dirk does get to the rim when he needs to, he'll try to take it to the glass if he's just getting covered endlessly, but you're right, he takes the jumpers away from the basket in the clutch.

There's only one clutch moment of Dirk's where he didn't take a jumper in the clutch, that was when he went to the basket against the Spurs in 06. Dirk DOES get to the line though.

Rasheed is a completely different case than Dirk IMO. Rasheed's post-game was ON-POINT. He was so much better than Dirk was in regards to being a post player, it's not even really close. Sheed's one of those guys who definitely had a good career, but he didn't achieve what he could have.

Dirk plays REALLY well against other PF's. He normally guards guys like Timmy Duncan really well. Transition D? not so much. Dirk one-on-one is really underrated. When Dirk guards NORMAL, TRADITIONAL PF's like Timmy or Pau or Brand or whoever, he actually fairs very well. He contests, he does what he can, and he rebounds. It's crafty guys who are a lot smaller than him who he has problems with. Pau is probably a better defender, but Dirk's definitely not bad at all. Pau is probably a more natural defender, since he uses his length a lot more.

Nash and Dirk pick-and-pop was nasty back in the day. The two worked SO well together, it was like clockwork.

Dirk hasn't really had that since Nashy Nash left.

With the rest of the cast the Lakers have, I'd be fine with Dirk out there with the Lakers.

you guys act like Dirk cant learn the triangle offense, hes smart as hell and im sure he can learn it pretty quickly. Dirk and Kobe would be filthy, not a chance that duo fails

Nuggets' lack of sacrifice hurting potential Melo trade

The Nuggets continue to aggressively seek trade proposals for Carmelo Anthony, but are finding the market to be limited based on the extensive haul of assets they are trying to get in return, multiple sources told CBSSports.com.

The challenge for the Nuggets, sources say, has been finding a replacement for Andrei Kirilenko in a multi-team deal that in all likelihood would still have Anthony going to New Jersey. Even after a four-team deal also involving Utah and Charlotte went dormant last week, the Nets are "still the team that has the assets and is the most motivated," according to one person connected to the talks. But while the Nuggets remain "very actively" engaged in trade talks during what one source described as "the calm before the storm," finding trade partners able to furnish what Denver is looking for -- an established player, a young player, first-round picks, and cap relief -- has proved to be a major challenge.

"They're still banging away at this," said one of the people with knowledge of the discussions. "But the well has dried up a little bit."

The four-team deal involving the Bobcats and Jazz, in which New Jersey was sending No. 3 pick Derrick Favors and two first-round picks to Denver, died partly because the Nuggets were intent on trying to squeeze additional assets out of the trade and also because Denver officials were shopping the proposal around in pursuit of a better deal. Additionally, Kirilenko wound up being what one person involved in the process termed "a deal-breaker" due to strong signals that the Russian swingman was not interested in playing in Denver and was cold to the idea of signing an extension there.

Why the Nuggets wouldn't have been content to simply let Kirilenko's $17.8 million expiring contract drop off their books after the season points to another key impediment to Denver making a deal for Anthony. In addition to a high level of concern among Denver front office officials to be regarded by their peers as having extracted top value for Anthony, sources say the Nuggets are holding fast to the notion of trading Anthony while remaining a playoff-contending team. This is a notion that rival executives believe the Nuggets will have to sacrifice if they hope to satisfy Anthony's request for a trade.

"I think they have their marching orders from him that he's gone," one executive familiar with the situation sad. "To call his bluff, that's a scary proposition."

One way to up the ante, another executive said, would be for the Nuggets to sweeten their offer by agreeing to part with veteran point guard Chauncey Billups. Sources believe such a concession would be more than enough to reignite the Bobcats' interest in participating in the deal; Charlotte coach Larry Brown is said to be "freaking out" over his lack of a point guard, according to a source. Billups played for Brown in Detroit, leading the Pistons to the 2004 NBA title as the Finals MVP. Thus far, however, the Nuggets have displayed very little interest in trading Billups, a move that would be a sure signal to their fans that a major rebuilding project is under way.

Despite that obstacle, the Nuggets have escalated their efforts to shop other teams' players around the league in an effort to see what assets could be received for them after acquiring them in an Anthony trade. Denver has explored such an avenue for the Clippers' Chris Kaman, the Bulls' Luol Deng, the Nets' Devin Harris and the Bobcats' Gerald Wallace, sources say. After extending center Joakim Noah's contract, however, the Bulls remain a long shot to enter into the Melo equation. The Bobcats continue to be reluctant to trade Wallace unless they're getting Anthony, who wouldn't sign an extension in Charlotte.

Kaman was discussed in a Melo swap about a month ago, sources say, but the discussions died quickly when it became evident that the Nuggets wanted Eric Gordon in addition to one of the most valuable first-round picks in the league -- Minnesota's pick, which is top-10 protected in 2011 and unprotected in '12. Given that they have Nene, the Nuggets didn't value Kaman beyond his contract as a tool to make the deal work under league trade rules; Kaman makes $11.8 million this season and $12.7 million in '11-12. The Clippers, sources say, would favor a deal that does not include Kaman -- particularly since keeping him would enhance Anthony's belief that he would be part of a top-tier team in the West with a core of Kaman, Baron Davis, Blake Griffin and himself. The wild card in that scenario is Anthony's affinity for Los Angeles, which is shared by his wife, actress La La Vasquez.

As previously reported, among the other established players Denver has targeted as having decent replacement value for Anthony are Anderson Varejao and Andre Iguodala. The chances of Anthony signing an extension with Cleveland are "zippo," according to one source who said you can "scratch Varejao off the list." Several weeks ago, the Nuggets asked the Sixers about acquiring Iguodala in a deal that would send Anthony to New Jersey, but the proposal was rejected. Currently, there is "nothing happening" with the Sixers on that front, according to a source.

Another team that could emerge as a facilitator in an Anthony trade is the Pistons. Sources say the Nuggets inquired several weeks ago about the availability of Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince -- with a particular emphasis on Prince, whose $11.1 million contract is expiring and would provide a cost-cutting tool for the Nuggets. At the time, Pistons president Joe Dumars quickly dismissed the invitation. But sources say there's a chance Detroit's posture could change with reports this week that the team will be sold to Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch.

The Knicks, Anthony's first choice, continue to make efforts to be part of a new framework for a Melo trade and have laid the groundwork to acquire a first-round pick that would be necessary to make them a serious contender. But the Knicks are limited in the other assets they possess, and also know they could be the biggest winners of all in the Melo sweepstakes if they have patience. If Denver is unable to trade Anthony by the February deadline, he'd be headed to New York as a free agent -- although after a potential lockout, and probably at a lower price tag than the three-year, $65 million extension he can get under the current collective bargaining agreement.

That's a pretty big risk in a high-stakes game that gets more complicated by the day.
Source

simpsons-between-a-rock-and-a-hard-place.jpg

Evan Turner can barely get the ball over halfcourt against Rondo.
laugh.gif

49-22 at halftime. The Sixers were shooting 18% from the field with a couple minutes to go in the half.
30t6p3b.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by OneTrust

30t6p3b.gif
 they killed my boy Gillie's spirit.  He used to be a fun-loving guy.  Pretty much just like a Nate Robinson.  Just likes to have fun and pull pranks.  Hopefully, he can bounce back and just find a way to be himself again.

Most def. All that talk about movin on
sick.gif

[h1]NBA GM survey: Lakers will repeat, Durant will win MVP[/h1]
  • PUBLISHED Wednesday, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:02 pm EDT
  • LAST UPDATED 4 hours and 58 minutes ago

sporting_news_14x10.gif
Sporting News

In a survey of NBA general manager, the Los Angeles Lakers were picked to repeat as Finals champs and Thunder wing Kevin Durant will win the league's MVP, according to NBA.com.

The Lakers earned 63.0 percent of the votes when asked which team will win the 2011 NBA Finals. The Heat finished second with 33.3 percent while the Celtics finished third with 3.7 percent.

Miami was the heavy favorite in the East with 70.4 percent of the vote while the Lakers were an overwhelming favorite with 96.4 percent of the vote when asked which team would win the Western Conference.

Durant was picked by 66.7 percent of NBA GMs as the likely 2011 NBA MVP. In addition, 55.6 percent of respondents said if they were starting a franchise today, they would start with Durant. LeBron James was selected by 25.9 percent of GMs.

2010 No. 1 pick John Wall was selected by 67.9 percent of GMs as the player most likely to win the Rookie of the Year. Blake Griffin finished second with 28.6 percent of the vote

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...will-repeat-durant-will-win-mvp#ixzz11dAIy5kX

pimp.gif
 @ that Dream/Dwight video.

Hakeem could still school a majority of the today's 5s with his post moves.

Jesus, when did Green develop a deep shot like that?

Dude was given the green light with Durant resting.
laugh.gif

Homerism aside, if Roy Hibbert can learn to stay out of foul trouble, he's gona turn into a very wealthy man here in the next year or 2.

believe he dropped 4% of his body fat this summer. Jim O'Brien said he had the best off-season he's ever seen a player have.

I'm not on the Evan Turner bust bandwagon, but things have not looked good. Are they really trying to have him handle PG duties at times? that's just dumb. put him on the wing, run some things through him. but actually bringing the ball up? no.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Homerism aside, if Roy Hibbert can learn to stay out of foul trouble, he's gona turn into a very wealthy man here in the next year or 2.

believe he dropped 4% of his body fat this summer. Jim O'Brien said he had the best off-season he's ever seen a player have.

I'm not on the Evan Turner bust bandwagon, but things have not looked good. Are they really trying to have him handle PG duties at times? that's just dumb. put him on the wing, run some things through him. but actually bringing the ball up? no.
It's that or having Lou Williams be the point guard of the second unit.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom