* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

I can't wait for the regular season to start.

The legend of the Heat has already reached mythical proportions, without them even playing a game.

You can thank ESPN in large part for that.

They got Elliot, Barry, and Rose following their training camp all week like some groupies.

And they are about to launch a special section of the ESPN website called the Heat Index where they'll have reports on them everyday for the entire season.
indifferent.gif

I know seeing how the Big 3 in South Beach will mesh is a major subplot to this upcoming season and I'm interested in seeing how the dynamic will work but for christ's sake.
30t6p3b.gif

I almost forgot that the Lakers are the defending champions.

The D-League has a lot going on -- they'll tell you every chance they get that 20% of NBA players have D-League experience. It's worth watching for the basketball.

But it's also an incubator of ideas that may be coming soon to the NBA.

For instance, this year NBA players are wearing tighter, lighter uniforms. I'll give you one guess where those came from.

Trying out ideas that are being considered for the NBA is an acknowledged role of the D-League.

So it is with some interest that I notice the NBA's announcement that two basic rules of basketball will be different in the D-League this year:
  • Overtime will be just three minutes, instead of five.
  • The NBA goaltending rule (where you can't touch the ball when it's on the rim) will be replaced with the international one (where you can).
I am optimistic about both. A close game reaches a fever pitch in crunch time. Then when overtime starts, the energy level in the arena falls off a cliff. With the timeouts and everything, you know you're safe to go to the bathroom, because this thing won't be decided for a while.

But a three-minute overtime -- that just takes crunch time and more or less continues it. It also diminishes slightly the effect of foul trouble -- now a team would be asked to play two fewer minutes without its key player, for instance.

Grabbing the ball off the rim, meanwhile, is an exciting play. That's by definition an "above the rim" play, and those are fun to watch. Right now, a lot of the time the ball is available above the rim, the finest athletes in the world are, by rule, standing around and watching it. Now, they'll be jumping. Hard to see the downside in that.

The D-League has also been home to various other things that may be coming to the NBA one day. For instance, they let the teams that win their divisions in the regular season pick their playoff opponents, which is brilliant. They also have every game streaming online for free, and they have also experimented with various different Spalding balls, one of which may one day replace the standard leather NBA ball.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

The D-League has a lot going on -- they'll tell you every chance they get that 20% of NBA players have D-League experience. It's worth watching for the basketball.

But it's also an incubator of ideas that may be coming soon to the NBA.

For instance, this year NBA players are wearing tighter, lighter uniforms. I'll give you one guess where those came from.

Trying out ideas that are being considered for the NBA is an acknowledged role of the D-League.

So it is with some interest that I notice the NBA's announcement that two basic rules of basketball will be different in the D-League this year:
  • Overtime will be just three minutes, instead of five.
  • The NBA goaltending rule (where you can't touch the ball when it's on the rim) will be replaced with the international one (where you can).
I am optimistic about both. A close game reaches a fever pitch in crunch time. Then when overtime starts, the energy level in the arena falls off a cliff. With the timeouts and everything, you know you're safe to go to the bathroom, because this thing won't be decided for a while.

But a three-minute overtime -- that just takes crunch time and more or less continues it. It also diminishes slightly the effect of foul trouble -- now a team would be asked to play two fewer minutes without its key player, for instance.

Grabbing the ball off the rim, meanwhile, is an exciting play. That's by definition an "above the rim" play, and those are fun to watch. Right now, a lot of the time the ball is available above the rim, the finest athletes in the world are, by rule, standing around and watching it. Now, they'll be jumping. Hard to see the downside in that.

The D-League has also been home to various other things that may be coming to the NBA one day. For instance, they let the teams that win their divisions in the regular season pick their playoff opponents, which is brilliant. They also have every game streaming online for free, and they have also experimented with various different Spalding balls, one of which may one day replace the standard leather NBA ball.
I can dig both of those changes, explanations were on point.

The picking opponents I brought up such a long time ago here for the NBA, I can't believe the DLeague actually is doing it
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Sacramento fans, say bye this year cause it looks like the Kings are on the move. New deal for arena rejected.
There were several plans. Another one is currently in the works right now.

Sacramento fans, say bye this year cause it looks like the Kings are on the move. New deal for arena rejected.
laugh.gif
@a team leaving in one years notice. Good luck with that prediction.
As much as people !+!% on NorCal/Sacramento, the Maloofs know that the 916 is about to explode again as soon as the economy gets better. They are gonna be hard pressed to find another market similar to this. Seattle for sure, Van City?
laugh.gif
Vegas is even pushing it. I can't really think of too many new cities that will accommodate what the Maloofs are asking for too arena-wise. In the meantime, I really don't think the Maloofs are gonna have a problem with staying in Arco.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

laugh.gif
As much as people !+!% on NorCal/Sacramento, the Maloofs know that the 916 is about to explode again as soon as the economy gets better. They are gonna be hard pressed to find another market similar to this. Seattle for sure, Van City?
laugh.gif
Vegas is even pushing it. I can't really think of too many new cities that will accommodate what the Maloofs are asking for too arena-wise. In the meantime, I really don't think the Maloofs are gonna have a problem with staying in Arco.

sacramento was a dump before the economy messed up and will be if it comes back.

vegas needs a big arena for many reasons. and im sure if maloofs gave the word they would come it would be built with in a year.

you really think Maloofs would be ok staying at Arco? remember the NCAA wont hold NCAA tourny games there any more because its not up to code, the high school state champship got moved because of the same thing. so why would a NBA team stay there for long?

Originally Posted by CP1708

I haven't even spoke yet on the championship Krytonite that is Lebron. 

You devalue yourself when you make dumb comments like this, sounding like a spurned ex
30t6p3b.gif

The Heat will win a better shot at winning six then only winning 1...

And the Kings will be in Vegas sooner or later...Vegas is a big market, with no pro sports team.  You put an NBA team, its a show every night, another big attraction to put on the strip.

airmaxpenny1 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
I haven't even spoke yet on the championship Krytonite that is Lebron. 

You devalue yourself when you make dumb comments like this, sounding like a spurned ex
30t6p3b.gif

Riiiiiiiiight, ya know, cuz he's 8 for 8 in not winning a title, I sound so stupid don't I?  

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  Like I care how my word is "valued" when speaking out against the Chosen one.  Soon as he does all that he is praised for, I won't have anything bad to say now will I?  

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
sacramento was a dump before the economy messed up and will be if it comes back.

vegas needs a big arena for many reasons. and im sure if maloofs gave the word they would come it would be built with in a year.

you really think Maloofs would be ok staying at Arco? remember the NCAA wont hold NCAA tourny games there any more because its not up to code, the high school state champship got moved because of the same thing. so why would a NBA team stay there for long?
When I wanted the Kings to be the next OKC Thunder, I didn't think they would turn into the Sonics.

Looking back, it is unfortunate that a new arena deal was voted down in 2006  when the economy was a lot better. However, it was probably best that it got voted down because the recession hit in 2008.

The Maloofs have until the end of March 2011 to announce they will be leaving for 2011-12.

Sidebar, Arco is not re-upping for the arena's name when the contract expires.

I don't see MIA winning 6 straight. Since their contract is up in 5 years I see at least 3. I still think Kobe can 2. I don't know about back to back but he'll get 2 before he hangs them up.
Nice to see Goerge Karl back on the court.
Don't be surprised if Felton can make some noise for most improved. Larry Brown kept him on a leash, Mike will let just let him play ball.

Riiiiiiiiight, ya know, cuz he's 8 for 8 7 for 7 in not winning a title, I sound so stupid don't I? 

So would you have said the same about Jordan after 6 years? Shaq after 7 years?

Kryptonite, sure.

Heat won't win 6 straight. They can run off 3 in a row but anything after that is a huge reach. Overall, though, when it's all said and done..IMO..3's the bare minimum to garner praise, 4 should be the expectation, 5 is certainly doable. Anything less = big failure and a huge waste.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yes, there is like a 2% chance the Maloofs change their mind and decide top shell out cash outta their own pockets for an arena. For that lone reason, I don't see them moving. 
How is Sacramento a dump 
tired.gif
ohwell.gif
frown.gif

Well, to be fair, a city like Kansas City might be willing to pay for a new arena for the Kings. The same can't be said for Sacramento or Seattle even.

And no point in defending Sacramento, brah, haters gonna hate.

does it matter if they do it in a row or spread out like the spurs?

You said Spurs, now Do Bee Do is coming.... 

That's his bat signal.  Anyone who mentions the Spurs, you will get a reply from him.  Never fails. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom