* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Aren't most NBA owners billionaires? How exactly does that help in a sport with a salary cap.

Prokhorov is so overrated it's not even funny right now.

Originally Posted by DubA169

when has abilionare owner ever mattered in the nba. do the knicks have a chip? do the mavs?
You're an idiot if you don't think Mark Cuban isn't one of the most notorious owners in the NBA.

I bet you he's the first name people think of as far as owners on NBA teams go.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

when has abilionare owner ever mattered in the nba. do the knicks have a chip? do the mavs?
You're an idiot if you don't think Mark Cuban isn't one of the most notorious owners in the NBA.

Your point?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

and why wouldnt melo resign with NJ?

to play with who?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by HITMOLICKS

Your point?
My point is, people love playing for notorious NBA owners, and forever reason, the Russian dude that owns NJ has become that.

He may just be some random idiot who owns the team, but he has a lot of buzz around him.

When has the owner become a big draw with NBA FAs ever? or in trades where players re-sign just cuz of the owner? PPL really done got lost in this Jay-Z nonsense.

All the player wants is to get paid and know if the owner is willing to spend to win. Getting the right players rests on the GM/PoO. These billionaires aint buying rings.

I think Melo would resign because he listed the Nets as one of the teams he would like to go to.

Farmar
Lee
Melo
Murphy
Brook

I'd rather trade Lee+Favors+Outlaw+fillers (I think that'll be more enticing anyway since Smith is on the block) If the Nets trade away Devin they have to try and get a point guard from somewhere else, Farmar as are starting PG would be atrocious. The 12 win season wasn't just because the teamed lacked talent, we also had many injuries. Yi, Devin, Lee, all missed significant time throughout the season. Who wouldn't want to play for an owner who says they want to win a championship? Let me guess people are lining up to play for the clippers because they are in LA? What about those superstars that are busting the doors down to play for Dolan at Madison Square Garden. Players want to win and an owner who is willing to spend money and make moves is appreciated. Melo wants out because his owner is cheap and is content with them making the playoffs and selling out stadiums, why not go play for NJ, SA, MIA, LAL, BOS, who's owners want to win? The only legit team to get Melo is NJ and maybe HOU because they have pieces and their owners want to win.

Melo should go play with D'Antoni and Stat because that worked out the first time with an MVP quality PG.
laugh.gif

You laugh at the idea that Melo would want to play with D'Antoni and a high scoring offense alongside Amare... yet you plug him in with Farmar as his starting PG, a player who has been traded to Houston (Lee), and Troy Murphy? That makes a lot of sense.

The point with the owner talk is, it's overrated. Just because Prokhorov says he wants to win, doesn't mean he will. How did that "Blueprint for Greatness" sign work out? Or the idea that EVERYONE and their mother would want to play for Jay-Z and this mystery Russian billionaire. Or that he'd give his free agents secret Russian money under the table or bring in global endorsements? Travis Outlaw will look great on a bottle of Russian vodka.

The Nets do have some pieces, but more importantly they have picks. I don't doubt the Nets are moving forward, but people are too quick to sing the praises of this team's talent and potential.

Originally Posted by franchise3

But, new billionaire owner who will do what it takes to win, and help Melo better brand himself. And he'd be in a bigger market.

Playing alongside Brook ain't bad, either.
I read that Brook would more than likely have to be involved in a trade for Melo, but the Nets aren't willing to trade Brook. And that's obviously not such an appealing situation for Melo to join the team without Brook.

Forgot Lee was included for Murphy
laugh.gif

Yet people act like NJ isn't on the way up, if one was Melo you don't want to go play for a complacent owner, isn't that the big problem with James Dolan? NJ isn't going to give Denver the kitchen sink in order to get Melo. We aren't going to give up our best player and arguably top 3-5 center in the league for Melo its just not going to happen. The thing that is different about the Melo situation is that with the who let downs of LBJ and CB not resigning that lets Denver know that it will happen, he is going to leave along with him requesting a trade. Its either you take something or receive a 2nd round pick in the offseason. 

Melo isn't going to end up in NY, CHI, or LAC. Wilson Chandler is only appealing to the Knicks fans and Randolph isn't going to meet his potential. NYK aren't going to give up their best most interesting piece in Gallo if they do then I'll eat crow. Kaman although interesting would create a log jam at the 5 with Nene, Chris Anderson and Kenyon, although Martin is gone after this season. Another thing to shy away from Kaman is his long contract I think its 3+ years? The Nuggets aren't looking to take back long contracts. Chicago isn't going to get Melo for Luol Deng. Houston is interesting with Lee, Battier, Scola, and Lowry that right there can put be an automatic revamp that the Nugs might look for it just matters.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Aren't most NBA owners billionaires? How exactly does that help in a sport with a salary cap.

Seeing as how there is a luxury tax in place and many owners don't want to pay the dollar-for-dollar tax, I'd say that having an owner committed to winning and spending is a huge positive.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Seeing as how there is a luxury tax in place and many owners don't want to pay the dollar-for-dollar tax, I'd say that having an owner committed to winning and spending is a huge positive.

Originally Posted by HITMOLICKS

Your point?
My point is, people love playing for notorious NBA owners, and forever reason, the Russian dude that owns NJ has become that.

He may just be some random idiot who owns the team, but he has a lot of buzz around him.
roll.gif

Dumbest thing ive heard this week.

so what free agents are flocking to teams with notorious owners?

and what notorious owners are in the league besides cuban and donald sterling?

nets
laugh.gif

knicks fans have been spot on about that franchise on and off the court in the past 12-18 months, from the Brooklyn move, to that garbage 'young core', jay z, the Russian. the list goes on.

Can't wait to hear about how much potential Damion James and Terrence Williams have at 23 years old.

JA, as good as mark cuban has been, you can easily make and argument that he's the reason miami won that finals. notorious is not entirely a compliment. it means you are widely known for unfavorable reasons.. he obviously pisses off stern and the refs on a regular basis

anyway, what i meant was that you cannot buy a championship in the NBA. period.

What % are people giving that Melo will be moved before the season starts? 

Or do you think Denver is just lining up a wish list and they're gonna hold on and wait til the trade deadline? 

To me, it's interesting because they can't wait too long, other teams will know they can just wait til the summer and Melo will flat out walk, but Denver can't jump at any bad offers right off the bat, they need to hold on long enough to get teams desperate enough to up the ante. 

Melo in Chicago would be
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 though, that East would be a damn nightmare with Mia, Bost, Orld, and Chi, and then the Lakers would be in the West, all alone except for the Thunder.
pimp.gif

Mike, how you gettin all those tweets to post?  You finally on twitter? 

I'd give it a 25% chance that Melo is traded before the season starts. I just don't see it before the season. Teams know they may get desperate to deal at the deadline and wanna wait it out.

I don't want to gut a team that we just put together for Melo right now. I want to see this team on the court. If the Clippers or Nets want to basically trade 3 big pieces for him, then by all means do it. I won't be too worried about either one of them. And if Denver takes a package centered around Deng and Gibson then good job by Chicago for giving Denver basically a bag of dog ***# for Melo.

If Melo meets with the new GM, whoever it'll be, and it's more of the same, he'll be traded before the season the starts.

The sooner, the better for Denver.

He could get injured during the season, lowering his value, or pieces from other teams could get injured, making a deal tougher. Also teams will just put the pressure back on Denver.

It's the trade deadline, and while we would love to acquire Melo, he's halfway out the door as is.

Originally Posted by CP1708

What % are people giving that Melo will be moved before the season starts? 

Or do you think Denver is just lining up a wish list and they're gonna hold on and wait til the trade deadline? 

To me, it's interesting because they can't wait too long, other teams will know they can just wait til the summer and Melo will flat out walk, but Denver can't jump at any bad offers right off the bat, they need to hold on long enough to get teams desperate enough to up the ante. 

Melo in Chicago would be
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 though, that East would be a damn nightmare with Mia, Bost, Orld, and Chi, and then the Lakers would be in the West, all alone except for the Thunder.
pimp.gif

Mike, how you gettin all those tweets to post?  You finally on twitter? 

He's following Stevie Wonder's twitter to get some spelling tips.

I'm playin
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom