* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

The Nuggets claim they haven't engaged in any trade discussions involving forward Carmelo Anthony and they aren't likely to until they have a general manager in place.

The Denver Post reports that all signs point to former Suns executive David Griffin being the top candidate and an announcement could come next week.

Nothing has been finalized because the Nuggets are still talking to candidates.

Denver won't make any moves regarding Anthony until a general manager is in place and he is able to sit down and talk with the forward.

Via Denver Post

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Devin, Melo, & Brook looks good in my book. That trio could possibly get us to the playoffs (8th seed).
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Say what you want about Stephon Marbury(notes) — that he's Looney Tunes, that he eats Vaseline on the reg, that he is completely delusional about most things in his life, whatever — but it must be admitted that his Starbury clothing and shoe line has been a success outside of one notable ankle explosion. He got decent footwear and clothing to kids for not a lot of money, and that's pretty cool. Furthermore, his post-NBA career in China has given him an entirely new opportunity to sell his signature line. Good looks.

And things are about to get even better for Marbury. As mentioned a few weeks back, Marbury's new contract in China calls for three Starbury shops, financed by the team. That's big news on its own, but Steph has even bigger plans. From the New York Post's Marc Berman:

[Stephon] Marbury's got a bigger goal: to one day own a team in the Chinese Basketball Association.

Marbury, the former Lincoln superstar out of Coney Island, is all-in on his investment in China, citing the 350 million people who play basketball there and the country last week leaping past Japan as the world's second-biggest economy.

"The NBA has deals to build arenas in China,'' Marbury told The Post. "It just takes time. Owning and investing there, how can I go wrong business-wise?''

Marbury signed a three-year deal to play again for Shanxi that includes a coaching stint starting next season. The most important part of the deal is his club will finance the opening of three Starbury stores in the city.

"It's all Starbury stuff. Like you go to a Nike store, it's going to be Starbury,'' said Marbury, who has his logo tattooed to his head. "In Year Five, my goal is to have 150 stores.''

OK, so "How can I go wrong business-wise?" might be a little bit of a famous last words kind of thing, but this is still a nice move. There are so many people in China and they're all apparently crazy for Stephon Marbury-branded stuff. Opening up Starbury stores seems like a no-brainer. I hope it works out for him, even if 150 shops seems like overkill.

Also, can you even fathom Stephon Marbury owning a basketball team in any league? Would that not be the most amazing thing ever? He'd be like Mark Cuban crossed with the Maloofs crossed with Bam Bam Bigelow. Just think of the head tattoo possibilities. Please make it happen, China.

Fernandez needs to go. Punk $!+ Euro.
via ESPN
MADRID, Spain -- Rudy Fernandez is not returning calls from Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan and was fined $25,000 by the NBA on Thursday for "public statements detrimental to the NBA."

Dude thinks he can call it quits because he isnt getting the minutes he wants
eyes.gif
Hope we trade him for a weaker player and throw him more minutes than Rudy got.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

More info via Ron Tillery (Grizzlies beatwriter).
Satisfying one of the following: play in NBA rookie/sophomore game during All-Star weekend, or earn an all-rookie selection, or average 15 minutes in at least 70 games.
Source

I'm a Henry fan and all for blaming Memphis' management, but those goals are all fair (particularly the average 15 minutes in at least 70 games).
indifferent.gif
Is that really what he's debating over??

It's not like he's on a deep team where he wouldn't get the minutes, and it really won't be that hard for him to make the rookie game as long as he tries.

^
only one player out of more than 450 since the rookie salary scale was instituted in 1995 has agreed to a performance bonus.

Tellem said Henry would agree to bonuses that are frequently offered to reach the full 120 percent, such as taking part in conditioning programs or playing in the summer league, but said no other team in this draft had asked a player to accept a performance incentive.

Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace agreed with Tellem that the performance bonuses are not something the Grizzlies have offered in the past, but noted other teams have put some bonuses in from time to time and the team decided to adopt the practice this year.
Greivis Vasquez, the Grizzlies' other first rounder, also hasn't signed for the same reason.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^Ya the Nuggets would jump ALL over that
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Why not? They aren't going to get much better then that. You get three productive pieces and nice draft picks. They only long term contract is Travis and thats 35 mil over 7 years Devin expires in 2 years and Troy expires this year while Kmart and Billups have 2 and 3 years left on their deals, so they get younger and they get cap space. Melo already through any great deals out the door, we might even throw in Derrick if talks get serious. 

NY can give Curry + Danillo/Wilson and cash; no picks.

HOU can give Lee + Scola + Hill + Battier + Picks(low first rounder since they do pretty well without Yao and Melo already) +cash

Orlando can give Rashard(4 years left on contract) + VC + Pietrus/Gortat/Bass + picks + Cash

Only thing that looks semi interesting is the NJN deal and thats because of the picks and Devin. Melo will be moved with Billups they are going to get Billups contract out of there also if they are trading away their franshise. Those are Melo's requested destinations and no other team will trade for him because they don't know his future. I also think the Nets can absorb 3-4 million also so that gives us more operating room.
Best believe the Nuggets would ask for Derrick Favors or Terrence Williams (if not both) for Melo.
We aren't giving up both for a disgruntle star though, why give up both pieces when he has said eh wants to come here anyway. We had the worst season in the past decade i believe us winning 30 games this year will be ok while our players develop and Melo comes via S&T or straight up FA. Worst comes to worst we wait it out and we don't get him then our young players develop.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^Ya the Nuggets would jump ALL over that
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Why not? They aren't going to get much better then that. You get three productive pieces and nice draft picks. They only long term contract is Travis and thats 35 mil over 7 years Devin expires in 2 years and Troy expires this year while Kmart and Billups have 2 and 3 years left on their deals, so they get younger and they get cap space. Melo already through any great deals out the door, we might even throw in Derrick if talks get serious. 

NY can give Curry + Danillo/Wilson and cash; no picks.

HOU can give Lee + Scola + Hill + Battier + Picks(low first rounder since they do pretty well without Yao and Melo already) +cash

Orlando can give Rashard(4 years left on contract) + VC + Pietrus/Gortat/Bass + picks + Cash

Only thing that looks semi interesting is the NJN deal and thats because of the picks and Devin. Melo will be moved with Billups they are going to get Billups contract out of there also if they are trading away their franshise. Those are Melo's requested destinations and no other team will trade for him because they don't know his future. I also think the Nets can absorb 3-4 million also so that gives us more operating room.
Best believe the Nuggets would ask for Derrick Favors or Terrence Williams (if not both) for Melo.
We aren't giving up both for a disgruntle star though, why give up both pieces when he has said eh wants to come here anyway. We had the worst season in the past decade i believe us winning 30 games this year will be ok while our players develop and Melo comes via S&T or straight up FA. Worst comes to worst we wait it out and we don't get him then our young players develop.

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

Durden7 wrote:

Youve got to stop taking negatives comments about other people personally. 

But SOME PEOPLE have to stop talking CRAZY about a person they don't know personally.
eyes.gif

I mean some dudes need to stop with the HATE. It's YOUR fault for following every move BRON makes.
tired.gif

oh wow if this isnt the pot calling the kettle black??? mr iwasinthelakerthreadlastyearmorethanmyownteam....lol sit down...

You look at this starting unit:

Devin
Morrow
Melo
Murphy
Brook

With a bench of:
*Check sig.

That's a solid squad right there. Granted, there's some weaknesses in the bench rotation. But you have Devin (a former all star) & would return to that form with a leader on his team. (He's better suited for that 2nd option role). Melo, an all star, Brook, another possible all star, an underrated Morrow, & Troy Murphy. That's a VERY solid starting unit. Scoring, rebounding, & 3 point shooters.

Don't sleep on some of these young guys coming off the bench either.

Miami
Boston
Orlando
Hawks
Bulls
Bucks
Bobcats

At that point you have a mix between the Nets & Knicks for that 8th spot. With Melo, we'd get that spot over the Knicks.

I don't see another team getting in over the Nets IF* we were to get Melo.

This is more between Heisley and Henry's agent than anything and neither guy wants to back down.
I also heard that 100% of his contract is guaranteed and wasn't negotiated, which means the agent gets no cut. Any extra money negotiated for the player, the agent will get a cut of it. Its a billionaire fighting a millionaire of a few thousand dollars for a player. The incentives are reasonable, but there's really no point for it to go on this long. Anytime Heisley does some good for the organization, he turns around and mess up in another area. 

Henry's agent needs to stop crying and take the contract that's already negotiated. Demarre Carroll got 11 mins last season, Young got 16.5, Thabeet got 13. If Henry don't think he can get 15 in the rotation, then maybe he should go overseas.

I was laughing because they'd at least be #5 seed in the East with that lineup... possibly #4 seed. Not that they wouldn't make the playoffs.
Melo by himself is worth 30 wins. Melo's rookie year, Denver won 43 and made the playoff as an 8th seed with Andre Miller and Voshon Lenard as the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers. A team with Melo in his prime, Brook, Devin, etc. in the East would win far more.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

This is more between Heisley and Henry's agent than anything and neither guy wants to back down.
I also heard that 100% of his contract is guaranteed and wasn't negotiated, which means the agent gets no cut. Any extra money negotiated for the player, the agent will get a cut of it. Its a billionaire fighting a millionaire of a few thousand dollars for a player. The incentives are reasonable, but there's really no point for it to go on this long. Anytime Heisley does some good for the organization, he turns around and mess up in another area. 

Henry's agent needs to stop crying and take the contract that's already negotiated. Demarre Carroll got 11 mins last season, Young got 16.5, Thabeet got 13. If Henry don't think he can get 15 in the rotation, then maybe he should go overseas.
Yup, that's what Sonny Vaccaro said on the radio. Arn Tellem wants that extra 20% for himself, not Xavier.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

I was laughing because they'd at least be #5 seed in the East with that lineup... possibly #4 seed. Not that they wouldn't make the playoffs.
Melo by himself is worth 30 wins. Melo's rookie year, Denver won 43 and made the playoff as an 8th seed with Andre Miller and Voshon Lenard as the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers. A team with Melo in his prime, Brook, Devin, etc. in the East would win far more.
The Nets without Melo are still making the playoffs.  Yeah, I said it! 
pimp.gif

So Melo on the Nets is a 8th seed team leaving something like a 5th/6th seed Nuggets team and wouldn't go to the Knicks that'd make them a 5th/6th possibly 4thth seed team

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Yup, that's what Sonny Vaccaro said on the radio. Arn Tellem wants that extra 20% for himself, not Xavier.
laugh.gif

& if Tellem gives in, it's gonna open the flood gates where Owners will try to stiff arm the agents on rookie contracts from here on out. Tellem is holding strong for the Agents, Heisley for the Owners.

I see & understand were both sides are coming from.

Current Nuggets roster > Nets, HOU, NYK

If he can somehow end up in ORL I can definitely understand...all the other options are a step back imo

Originally Posted by Executive76

Current Nuggets roster > Nets, HOU, NYK

If he can somehow end up in ORL I can definitely understand...all the other options are a step back imo
This. Chauncey Billups is getting up there in age, but he's still very good, and very efficient. For his age, he doesn't have the seasoning that a lot of NBA players his age do, because he wasn't that solidified starting PG till about 2001. His career didn't take off until 2003, so he still have at least 3-4 years in him still. He doesn't require that flashy game, so he'll be fine to play few more years at a high level. He's seriously more of a benefactor to a team than anywhere Carmelo would get traded to (other than ORL, and possibly Amare).

And their core? They had about 6 guys ready to contribute last year, but they wore down by the end of the year. This year, Ty Lawson will be ready and seasoned enough to help Chauncey carry the load. Melo would still have to shoulder most of the workload at SF, but JR Smith/Arron could handle the minutes at the two-guard. The main issue was big-man depth. They had Nene, Kenyon, and Birdman. They wore down by the end of the year. They're hoping that Harrington and Shelden can handle back-up minutes.

Will the Nets/Houston/New York be able to have a better core than Chaucney/Nene/JR/Lawson/Kenyon/Birdman/Harrington?

Off-hand, New Jersey, Houston I know wouldn't. New York, they'd have to give up Danilo, maybe AR too. The pieces to give up for Carmelo should be more than for Chris Paul IMO. One prospect, one player coming off the books, and a few picks wouldn't be enough IMO.

Amare/Carmelo/Raymond Felton is basically as exciting as Devin/Brook/Carmelo.

Other teams compared to Denver, I just don't get it. Orlando is the one team I can understand, but the pieces don't really fit. Who would they give up? I really don't think that the Nuggets would want to give up any of their other pieces when they move Carmelo, they only have two players over 10 millino for their cap next year, one's a player option for Nene at 11 million (I can understand them keeping him), and Chauncey having a team option. If they really want to shed salary, they'll just play him out this year, and not renew his team option.

Orlando has a nice fat expiring in Vince Carter, but they really don't have ANYTHING else that they can throw in for Denver. All their salaries are long, and fat. Jameer they wouldn't trade, Dwight they wouldn't trade, Shard's contract is out of the question 20/3 for JJ Redick would be too much, Mikael Pietrus is going to use his player option of 5.3 million next year, Brandon Bass isn't bad, but that's four more million that Denver would have to match in salary. Ryan Anderson is the only real piece worth giving up, but you can head to New York if you want a prospect.

So, who would New York give up? Danilo/Curry is not enough to match salaries, Turiaf and Buike are both good to put in-place to make the numbers work out, but the Nuggets can't get a better deal than Danilo and cap relief? That's a decent team, but a PF like AR needs to be on the court and be scoring if he's going to reach the potential he has. Being third fiddle behind Amare and Carmelo wouldn't be best for him. Plus, I think a team like Denver wants both AR and Danilo if they are going to be giving up Carmelo.

Again, I don't know if that's a better situation. I guess the "endorsements."

New York and Orld are the only 2 teams I see Melo going too. 

My guess, he plays out this year in Denver, signs with the Knicks next summer.  Then the Knicks go all in tryin to get CP3 either thru trade, or the following summer. 

Six Reasons O J Mayo Will Not Be A Grizzly After This Season

Spoiler [+]
He was one of the most talked about players in the nation, for years before he even graduated high school.  He has seemed to be bound for greatness in the NBA as far back as anyone can remember.  His drive to win and be great is apparent to even casual observers.

And he has no place on the Grizzlies roster.

This last sentence, I write with resignation, not glee.  It is unfortunate that I have come to this conclusion.  With the rookie season he had, and the growth he had as a player in year two – the kind of growth that never reveals itself in stat lines but is seen by true students of the game – he is destined to be an important cog in some team’s playoff (perhaps even championship) machine.  One would think he’d be groomed for a long future here.  His “problem

Let's say Melo/Amare/CP some how happens. wait a season and get CP via FA or find a team or 2 dumb enough to help make PHX east on steroids

aside from that and CP/Melo losing $ who's left to fill out the roster? and who's gonna play defense/rebound?

after next season 6 Nuggets players under contract if Melo/Nene sign extensions approximately 36 mil payroll.

Fire George Karl, bring in CP, a center and PF, bring back JR/AA

CP/Lawson
Afflalo/JR
Melo/Harrington
PF/Bird
Nene/C

Sounds like a decent plan to me but what do I know.

Back
Top Bottom