* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

melo is showing enough appreciation by letting them know this early. He doesn't have to encourage denver to gut whatever team they want to send him to.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

So, how exactly does Carmelo have any leverage in this situation?

Someone tell me please?

Dump his #%$ to the Warriors for one year,
laugh.gif
If the Nuggets don't trade him, then he walks away on his own terms and they get nothing.

No team in their right mind is going to trade for him if he doesn't agree to an extension.

I'd say that he has all the leverage in the world.
But then he can't get his money.

I just think it's moronic to leave that much money on the table.
Obviously, it's about more than money because he could have just signed the extension if that was the case. The Nuggets can try to pressure him by pointing to the current CBA but Melo's ability to walk is the ultimate trump card. Sure, he'd leave some money on the table but he already knew that by not signing the extension. At the end of the day, he's still getting max money while the Nuggets would get nothing.

I don't know, I Just don't think it's a smart move to leave so much money on the table.

With the new CBA, he could maybe get 8-9 million next year, who really knows?

If he ends up settling for that, and going somewhere else, trust me, he'll be kicking himself.

So he goes from potentially getting more than 20 million to 8 or 9 million in max money? You'll have to forgive if I don't think that the new CBA will be that bad. Less years, less money, sure. But I don't think it will be that severe.

So he goes from potentially getting more than 20 million to 8 or 9 million in max money? You'll have to forgive if I don't think that the new CBA will be that bad. Less years, less money, sure. But I don't think it will be that severe.
Some GMs were saying it could be as bad as 6-7 mil MAX.....

I don't think it would be that extreme either though. If it was, I know that some marquee players would jet for the bigger bucks across the pond.

No chance in hell the players agree to contracts that max out at $6-7MM a year... If that's where the owners are trying to go, we might not see NBA basketball for a long time...

It'll be reeled in pretty significantly from where it's at now, but not nearly that much.

Heat swingman LeBron James admitted recently that his injured elbow isn't yet fully healed.

"I go out there and get a hard workout, and I know the elbow is not 100 percent healthy," James said. "It feels great, but I'm not going to wait until it hurts to start icing it."

got that excuse in his back pocket. save it for a rainy day.

Melo knows damn well he is not staying in Denver and Paul aint staying in New Orleans. The East is going to be a Royal Rumble in a few years

Originally Posted by got shoes

Melo knows damn well he is not staying in Denver and Paul aint staying in New Orleans. The East is going to be a Royal Rumble in a few years
few years? more like next season

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

No chance in hell the players agree to contracts that max out at $6-7MM a year... If that's where the owners are trying to go, we might not see NBA basketball for a long time...

It'll be reeled in pretty significantly from where it's at now, but not nearly that much.
But do players want a lockout at the same time? Of course not, there goes their cash.

Still, I think max contracts in the range of 10-11 million is what Carmelo might be getting.. Maybe more if he re-signed /w Denver, because as structured currently, more years/cash if you re-sign with your team, yes? I think that's a rule that would be implemented in the new CBA as well.

That's HALF of what he'd be getting from Denver.

If he wants to go ahead and talk about financial security, what's best for his family, get the hell outta here with that BS..
laugh.gif

What happens to the NBA Draft if there's a lockout, rookie prospects head overseas for a year? Then have an ultra-draft in 2012 if the lockout is over by then?

Players got lucky with the CBA last time around, I don't know they will this time.

Players may not want 6-7 million max a year, but what else are they going to do? Overseas? You know how much Josh Childress loved it overseas.

SOME players would do it, but many players would hate it.

I think 10-11 million is very realistic IMO. I was throwing out 8-9 as a random number, plus he'll also be leaving his team for a new team, something to consider (unless he does a S+T like almost every superstar did this summer).

Originally Posted by DubA169

Heat swingman LeBron James admitted recently that his injured elbow isn't yet fully healed.

"I go out there and get a hard workout, and I know the elbow is not 100 percent healthy," James said. "It feels great, but I'm not going to wait until it hurts to start icing it."

got that excuse in his back pocket. save it for a rainy day.
This dude LeBron
laugh.gif

I don't know, I Just don't think it's a smart move to leave so much money on the table.

If he ends up settling for that, and going somewhere else, trust me, he'll be kicking himself.

couldnt he ahve denver sign him to the max extension and then trade him? he gets his money and denver gets the best possible package for him?

also money isnt everything. these guys already made MILLIONS... Anthony doesnt seem like the type to be upset cuz he aint the highest paid player in the nba. For all these current superstars in the nba coming in at the same time ie Lebron, Wade, Paul, etc, who would have ever thought Carmello would be the one to look the most mature after everything that happened earlier in his career
laugh.gif

So NHL players took a 24 percent paycut after their lockout but NBA players are going to get hit much harder? I don't buy it.

So NHL players took a 24 percent paycut after their lockout but NBA players are going to get hit much harder? I don't buy it.

i can already see jesse jackson and al sharpton coming out and saying its some sort of racial discrimination that theyre going to get their salary cut

Originally Posted by NobleKane

couldnt he ahve denver sign him to the max extension and then trade him? he gets his money and denver gets the best possible package for him?
That'll be awfully nice of Denver. If they're trading away their superstar, I'm not sure they give him the spa-treatment while they trade him.

They gotta look at what kind of return they'd be getting.

Trust me, if it's a difference of 8-9 million a YEAR? Oh they will care. I don't care how rich you are, for an NBA player, 8-9 million is a crapload.

24% pay cut for max salaries would equate to what? At the beginning of a contract I believe they start around 16 millionish, so they start at 12?

1/4 pay cut is realistic to me. Plus they'll re-structure the CBA, so the yearly incremental adjustment for their salary may not be as much either.

We'll see, the only thing we can do right now is speculate, and we really don't know how things will turn out.

Don't laugh. You're embarrassing.

You're the second worst poster of all-time, right behind Mateen Cleaves, and just in front of Billy Hoyle.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Don't laugh. You're embarrassing.

You're the second worst poster of all-time, right behind Mateen Cleaves, and just in front of Billy Hoyle.
I'd bet money they're all the same person.

Back
Top Bottom