* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

All Ariza wants to do is shoot 3's. I can't stand watching him play. Houston should be thankful of getting rid of him.

Pacers makin the playoffs this year?
nerd.gif

Would be SOOOO
pimp.gif

First time I'm looking forward to the season for my team in quite some time.
pimp.gif

Murphy will be missed though.

Could have gotten Trevor Ariza's better, cheaper, more likable younger brother in the second round two months ago.
smh.gif

He might not even be better than Quincy Pondexter is right now.

Originally Posted by HITMOLICKS

Pacers makin the playoffs this year?
nerd.gif

Would be SOOOO
pimp.gif

First time I'm looking forward to the season for my team in quite some time.
pimp.gif

Murphy will be missed though.
Collison/AJ Price
D. Jones/Posey/Rush/S. Jones
Granger/Dunleavy/Stephenson/Paul George
Tyler/McRoberts/Foster
Hibbert

They really need to move a couple of wing players,
laugh.gif
. Collison, Dahntay, George, Rush, Granger, Price. Those 6 guys should be it. Posey, Solomon Jones, and Stephenson are really just extra pieces IMO. Maybe keep Stephenson around for depth reasons, but other than Hibb, they need another back-up big. Go after someone like Gortat?

The East has gotten a TON better though.

From their end of the season rosters...

Boston, Miami, Nets, Bulls, Milwaukee, Knicks, Wizards

While Orlando, Detroit, Atlanta, Indiana, Philly either made lateral moves or slight improvements.

Only real teams that got worse were Clevleand, Toronto, and Charlotte possibly.

Those first teams I first mentioned all should be significantly better next eyar. Cleveland and Toronto will dip, but Miami, Nets, Milwaukee, New York, and Washington will all have huge difference in wins from last year.

New Jersey filled a lot of holes..

Harris/Farmar
Morrow/T-Will
Outlaw/Damion Jones
Favors/Murphy/Humphries
Brook/Petro

Milwaukee added a ton of talent, we'll see if it'll work out, while Washington completely turned the franchise around.

You take a glance at the Rosters in the West, and there aren't too many teams that made HUGE upgrades. Utah has some changed pieces, but really they exchanged a PF for a PF. San Antonio added a big who should be very good, but that's it. Sacramento got a very good draft pick, got a back-up big, but will it make them much better? Portland signed a good wing while they lost a good wing. OKC made moves that pretty much bolstered their bench, but not much else more. New Orleans? No. Minnesota made moves, they have much better talent this year, but that's a lot of characters on that team, and only so many minutes to go around. Memphis didn't do anything special. Lakers pumped up their bench. LACis stockpiling young talent that will continue to develop. Houston re-signed some key guys, made a move or two but nothing huge. Golden State really shook up their roster the most. They're keen on rebuilding around Lee, Curry, and MAYBE Ellis. Denver didn't do anything worth mentioning outside of Al Harrington, and Dallas got quite possibly their best Center in the past 15 years, which really isn't say much at all.

Phoenix is the one question mark. They got two really great pieces in Hedo and Childress, while not really getting rid of anything that they really needed to get those players. Amar'e left town, so it's really up in the air on how they'll be next year.

If were going strictly on roster improvements, I'd say Chicago, Boston, Miami, Milwaukee, New York, and Washington did more than ANY team in the West. The only teams worth mentioning who made big moves in the west are Golden State, Phoenix, and maybe Utah, but I give much more praise to those East teams' front offices for going out there and getting things done.

For almost all of the 2000's, the West dominated the East, both regular season and post-season, 7/10 championships going to the West.

Now? Well in the West, there's the Lakers. That's about it. Teams on the cusp of contending in the West are pretty much in a large group. Portland, Dallas, San Antonio, and OKC. Maybe Denver too, but Melo needs to sign that extension before we start talking about them being relevant in the future. OKC is still damn young, and I really don't see them being a 2-3 seed this year like a long of people are.

The East? Chicago, Boston, Miami, Orlando. Damn. The top of the East is going to be pretty damn good.

I assume JA is just getting ready for school starting with all these essays he's been posting lately
laugh.gif

Fans still have not gotten over LeBron James' decision to leave Cleveland for Miami. He recently went to an amusement park in Cedar Point, Ohio and was heckled while shooting a basketball.

"I bet you miss," a woman said.

"Bron, shoot left-handed; your elbow hurts!" a man said.

Reportedly he missed all three of his shots. "Just like Game 5," another person said.

laugh.gif

New York New York got a treat for yall 2morrow. Stay Tuned
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

damage control time. nobody will be buying your crap here, hop off NY's ##!+. you had your chance coward

well yeah because its about new york. probably just some sneakers nike had ready if lebron went to nyc

but ill admit im very interested how nike and his "team" are going to get people in 2 of the biggest markets (nyc and chi), plus ohio, plus boston and l.a. fans (more big markets that didnt like him already) plus whatever other fans he alienated, to buy his stuff.

i want to know if they are going to re-brand him or keep the royalty/chosen 1 image.

Finished Simmons last night.  Not sure what I expected from a Celtics fan, he only mentioned Bird about 89,000 times, but it's his book, so what can I do? 

Anyhoo, here's his pyramid.  I don't know if I should take this to a new thread, or keep it in here with ya'll, but it should make for decent discussion/arguing. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[table][tr][td]Michael Jordan[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bill Russell[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Kareem Abdul Jabbar[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Magic Johnson[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Larry Bird[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Wilt Chamberlain[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Tim Duncan[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Jerry West[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Oscar Robertson[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Hakeem Olajuwon[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Shaquille Oneal[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Moses Malone[/td][td]Level 5[/td][/tr][tr][td]John Havlicek[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Elgin Baylor[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Kobe Bryant[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Julius Erving[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bob Pettit[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Karl Malone[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Charles Barkley[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]LeBron James[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bob Cousy[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Kevin Garnett[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Isiah Thomas[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Scottie Pippen[/td][td]Level 4[/td][/tr][tr][td]John Stockton[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Rick Barry[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bill Walton[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]David Robinson[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Allen Iverson[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Willis Reed[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dave Cowens[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Walt Frazier[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Sam Jones[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]George Gervin[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Kevin McHale[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]George Mikan[/td][td]Level 3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Dirk Nowitski[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Steve Nash[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Patrick Ewing[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Gary Payton[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Wes Unseld[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Jason Kidd[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Clyde Drexler[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Nate Thurmond[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dave DeBusschere[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Hal Greer[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Billy Cunningham[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]James Worthy[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Elvin Hayes[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dolph Schayes[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bill Sharman[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dennis Johnson[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwyane Wade[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Paul Pierce[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dominique Wilkins[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Paul Arizin[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Tommy Heinsohn[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bernard King[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Robert Parish[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Nate Archibald[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bob McAdoo[/td][td]Level 2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Reggie Miller[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Ray Allen[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Jerry Lucas[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Alex English[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Adrian Dantley[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Earl Monroe[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Pete Maravich[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dennis Rodman[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]David Thompson[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Lenny Wilkens[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Chris Webber[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Sidney Moncrief[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Joe Dumars[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Tracy McGrady[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Artis Gilmore[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dan Issel[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Paul Westphal[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bobby Dandridge[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bailey Howell[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dave Bing[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Chris Mullin[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Vince Carter[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Cliff Hagan[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Robert Horry[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Arvydas Sabonis[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Connie Hawkins[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Gail Goodrich[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Shawn Kemp[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Chris Paul[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Dwight Howard[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Bob Lanier[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Kevin Johnson[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Jack Twyman[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Jo Jo White[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Tom Chambers[/td][td]Level 1[/td][/tr][/table]
I think Dumars should be higher. 
Pierce should not be above 'Nique.
He lists Kevin McHale as #35, but then later in the book tries to sell that he would need to be on any all time top 12 team if we had to beat aliens and could use a time machine to pick and choose any players at their peaks.  (no, I did not just make that up
laugh.gif
)  Needless to say, he's high on McHale, i think I know why. 
Dennis Johnson is pretty high as well, right behind Worthy?  Ok. 
Get rid of Sabas, good lord, gimme a break.  I don't care what he did in his grainy footage videos during the Cold War. 
KG above Pippen to me is VERY interesting.  I struggle with this one greatly, as much as I know Pip was a 2, he was a DAMN good one.  I damn near would want him in my top 20.  That could be a great debate alone.
I don't know about Shaq and Dream either.  But I guess Dream did beat Shaq head to head, but that was young Shaq.  I dunno, another good one there.  There's a lot to digest and get into in this list. 
Oh, and one more, I know some will flip out about Horry, but ya'll know me, I'd move Horry up even further.  7 is 7.  Multiple with 3 teams (will never happen again)  That resonates with me. 

Anyhoo, last year we all did the imaginary re-draft of the NBA, this year, maybe we could sit back and hammer out all time top 50, or 75, or 100 or whatever anyone comes up with.  Simmons book seems to be a decent starting off point, give it a look, speak on anything that seems amiss. 

I'd still be down for the NBA draft again this year that we all did. The ones who were showing up consistently stick around and replace the bad GM's/banned GM's. I'd actually be down to help run it too. No school for me this semester.

reggie miller way too low. KG way too high. karl malone a bit high. dwayne wade and paul pierce should be higher

nice to see bernard king get love

^
But really, what would be different?  It'd be close to the same exact drafts we did last year, that was why I hadn't even brought it up yet. 

Of course if one gets started, I have no choice but to join, but still. 
laugh.gif

After the re-doing of the baseball hall we did, and seeing Bill write in his book about re-doing the basketball hall, I've been wanting to do something similar in terms of ranking X amount of players.  We all know MJ goes 1, but could we not see some people argue KAJ over Bill Russ?  Some would want Wilt #2.  What about West over Wilt, etc etc?  I think that would be a helluva thread to put together, whether it's in here, or a seperate thread, whatever.  We could all do our own, or do one mass composite one. 

Rod was great for us.... Its a shame he didn't want to continue with the Nets.

I wish we gave Lee some more time here. Murphy will be a good addition, especially improving our already good 3 point shooters. Rebounding will help us as well. But I was hoping Lee had some more time here to prove himself.

While Murphy helps us now, its nother move for the future...

Reggie Miller is way too low on that list...

and Darren Collison to the Pacers is
pimp.gif

Granger, Collison, Hibbert
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

I assume JA is just getting ready for school starting with all these essays he's been posting lately
laugh.gif

Fans still have not gotten over LeBron James' decision to leave Cleveland for Miami. He recently went to an amusement park in Cedar Point, Ohio and was heckled while shooting a basketball.

"I bet you miss," a woman said.

"Bron, shoot left-handed; your elbow hurts!" a man said.

Reportedly he missed all three of his shots. "Just like Game 5," another person said.

laugh.gif

eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

I'm surprised you missed the biggest problem with the list CP, Nash being above Kidd and Payton. As well as a host of other guys who he just wasn't close to being better than.

Nah, I can't speak out on Nash, if I do it'll get all derailed with his defenders comin in here yellin at me. 

So I left him alone.  (for now) 

[h1][/h1]
[h1]U.S. Team looking to ride on strength of forward position[/h1]

Posted Aug 12 2010 10:58AM

NEW YORK -- USA Basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski will tell you that his team's guards are its strength.

But then of course, forwardKevin Durant, the NBA's leading scorer last season, is its star.Meanwhile, Andre Iguodala is the one player who has been getting themost unsolicited praise from Krzyzewski in training camp for both hisdefense and for his efficient offense. And the second best scorer incamp has clearly been Rudy Gay.

So, in addition to his deep andtalented stockpile of guards, Krzyzewski has come to realize that hehas a pretty good group of forwards to work with.

"They're threeof our best players," the coach said Wednesday. "And they're definitelythree of our best athletes. So we have to see how they complement oneanother."

In every game that the U.S. Team plays, 80 minutes willneed to be distributed at the two forward positions. And by listeningto Krzyzewski and observing the lineups he has put on the floor, it hasbecome clear that the trio of Durant, Gay and Iguodala will get most ofthose 80 minutes.

The three have been playing a lot together inscrimmages against the Select Team, both in Las Vegas and here in NewYork, a trend that will continue. With the World Championship just 16days away, it's time for the team's core group to really get to knoweach other on the floor and develop the chemistry that will be neededto compete with the international teams that have been playing togetherfor years.

"You have to figure out those three guys in particular," Krzyzewski said. "They need reps together."

Asthe Senior Team's best player, Durant has been the one on the floor themost, teaming with either Gay or Iguodala. But the other two got to runtogether at the end of Wednesday's scrimmage.

Krzyzewskiliked what he saw from the Iguodala-Gay tandem. And while Durant won'tbe spending much time on the bench in critical games, it seems that thecoach will be comfortable with pairing the other two when his starneeds a breather.

"They looked good," Krzyzewski said of Gay andIguodala. "So what does that mean to everyone else? Well, everyone elsehas to adjust."

If Durant, Gay and Iguodala get most of theforward minutes, Kevin Love and Lamar Odom will need to compete fortime at center with Tyson Chandler. Playing a small forward at the fourcould be an issue on the glass, but opponents will also have a toughtime dealing with the U.S. Team's speed.

Playing two smallforwards together is nothing new for Krzyzewski. Carmelo Anthony andLeBron James, both threes for their NBA teams almost exclusively,started together from 2006 to 2008. And the length and athleticism thatDurant, Gay and Iguodala all bring to the table is exactly what thecoach wants for his high-pressure defense this summer.

Durant andIguodala seem to complement each other best. And come Aug. 28, theyvery well may be the starting forwards for the U.S. If you look at thepairing simplistically, it's an offense-defense combination. But Duranthas made great strides defensively over the last year, and Iguodala hasthe ability to put points on the board, both on the break and as asecondary scorer in the half court.

"He's a great teammate, agreat guy to play with," Durant said of Iguodala. "We're just helpingeach other out. He's such a dynamic player and can play multiplepositions. On the break, it's just easy for me to throw it up and forhim to go get it."

And Iguodala is clearly comfortable playing the Pippen role.

"I'mkind of like that utility guy that can do everything for our team," hesaid. "Put me in there and whatever void needs to be filled, I can fillthat. I think that's what Coach K likes about my game the most. I don'thave to have the ball to be effective out there. One game, I might notshoot the ball at all and be a big help to this team. I'm satisfiedwith that. Another game, I might have to score. I just try to pridemyself on being a basketball player without any labels."

Gay hasearned an important role as well, likely that of the first forward offthe bench and primary scorer on the second unit. He scored 23 points inthe USA Basketball Showcase at the end of the first phase of trainingin Las Vegas, and was the team's leading scorer in Wednesday'sscrimmage action at John Jay College.

The shorter 3-point line iswell within Gay's range, and also he has the size to score in thepaint. Of the three small forwards, Gay is best suited to play the fourin international competition.

But when two of the three are onthe floor together, there's no need to differentiate between the twoforward positions. All three have the size, speed and versatility toplay both the three on the floor, as well as the basketball IQ toadjust to each other on the fly. Krzyzewski even mentioned Wednesdaythat, at some point, we may see all three on the floor together.

Witha lack of true big men on the roster, the coach wants to play to histeam's strengths. And the versatility at the forward position isclearly one of them.

Back
Top Bottom