* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

Originally Posted by Statis22

But the roster is too overloaded, they need to make a trade.
Overloaded in what sense? Who do they need to trade?

They don't need to do jack, they have legit starters, and legit backups. Everyone knows their roles, they really don't need to do anything else to their roster.

They have:

Ariza/Battier/Budinger

Scola/Hayes/Hill/Patterson/Jeffries/Anderson

While some of them are quality they all won't play. Might as well package a few of em and get a legit upgrade. For any position.

Rockets didn't make the playoffs last year without Yao. Any team can improve and that applies to the Rockets. They need a legit franchise player with Yao to contend for a championship. Unless they can take the Detroit Pistons route in 2004... Which is possible with the pieces on this team.

They have:

Ariza/Battier/Budinger

While some of them are quality they all won't play. Might as well package a few of em and get a legit upgrade. For any position.
They'd be making moves just to make them. I could understand if you move someone for cap relief, but each of those guys offers a unique skill. I wouldn't touch the roster if I didn't have to.

Battier-Lockeroom leadership, three point shot and perimeter defense
Chase- Great wing spark off the bench with Lowry
Hayes-Grit and rebounding
Hill-Unknown, could be a commodity still
Patterson- Same as Hill
Jefferies- Has length for some decent perimeter defense
Andersen- Surprised some folks with blue collar play and an outside shot

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

They have:

Ariza/Battier/Budinger

They'd be making moves just to make them. I could understand if you move someone for cap relief, but each of those guys offers a unique skill. I wouldn't touch the roster if I didn't have to.

Battier-Lockeroom leadership, three point shot and perimeter defense
Chase- Great wing spark off the bench with Lowry
Hayes-Grit and rebounding
Hill-Unknown, could be a commodity still
Patterson- Same as Hill
Jefferies- Has length for some decent perimeter defense
Andersen- Surprised some folks with blue collar play and an outside shot
Youre foolish/delusional.

I wouldn't be on board with them making a trade just to make one but if their is a clear upgrade that makes them better at a certain position, the Rockets should be inclined to try and make it happen.

I heard Iguodala's name, maybe Granger. Hell at the trade deadline, Carmelo Anthony might be available. Maybe even Chris Paul. Point is, if they can do it, they they should try and make it happen.

I wouldn't be on board with them making a trade just to make one but if their is a clear upgrade that makes them better at a certain position, the Rockets should be inclined to try and make it happen.

I heard Iguodala's name, maybe Granger. Hell at the trade deadline, Carmelo Anthony might be available. Maybe even Chris Paul. Point is, if they can do it, they they should try and make it happen.
Well that goes without saying.

I guess if one of those teams want a Battier/Jeffries expirings salary dump.. other than that there's no way Houston gets any of the star players you listed.

So Yaos going to come back from taking an entire year off and lead the Rockets deep into the playoffs?  He's going to do all this with a sub-par roster?

They don't need to do jack, they have legit starters, and legitbackups. Everyone knows their roles, they really don't need to doanything else to their roster.
How do you know that they know their roles?  What is a legit starter?  What is a legit backup?  Youre just throwing out words that make the team sound good.

Your role descriptions included the words grit, blue collar, and 2 unknowns.  What you really meant to say is "these guys suck".

They can be a playoff team but to say that they can contend with the Lakers is tomfoolery.

Utah gave up a backup center, a trade exception and future picks and got Al Jefferson (another guy Morey wanted).

Teams are dumping salary like crazy. Some players can be had at the right time.

Houston Rockets talk the past couple of pages.
pimp.gif

fabolousthumbsup.gif

To be honest, they have a real good team, with a bunch of role players. However, i dont see Yao ever being healthy, although i really wish he can be.

Kmart is just one dimensional with his shooting, brooks is brooks. With Yao, 2nd round exit. Without, 50ish win team, but wont make playoffs.

Originally Posted by Durden7

So Yaos going to come back from taking an entire year off and lead the Rockets deep into the playoffs?  He's going to do all this with a sub-par roster?

They don't need to do jack, they have legit starters, and legitbackups. Everyone knows their roles, they really don't need to doanything else to their roster.
How do you know that they know their roles?  What is a legit starter?  What is a legit backup?  Youre just throwing out words that make the team sound good.

Your role descriptions included the words grit, blue collar, and 2 unknowns.  What you really meant to say is "these guys suck".

They can be a playoff team but to say that they can contend with the Lakers is tomfoolery.

Sub par roster?

Seems pretty off base. If you can't recognize Brooks/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Yao then we cannot have a discussion.

All 5 of those players are bonafide NBA starters. All 5 of them know how or what to contribute to the team dynamic. Brooks penetrate and create, Martin spot up and get to the line, Ariza defense and spot shooting, Scola short jumpers/postgame, Yao same as Scola but bigger role. You can't ask for more distinct roles for a starting 5. At the same time all 5 guys don't have egos.

As far as the bench and their roles, Battier used to be a dependable starter, now he'll probably move to the bench. He strikes me as the type of player to embrace that role but can still come in and play some D and hit shots. Chase and Lowry have more than proved to be highly productive as backups. Miller is skilled big who has at least one more good year left in the tank. Hayes knows his duty is to rebound. The youngsters Hill and Patterson are just icing if they can provide anything at all.

As far as competing with LA, well they've done it before with a far lesser squad. Don't see how that's so difficult to comprehend.

Not every team can lose their two best players [Yao and Ron Ron] and make the playoffs
eyes.gif

They had to break in Ariza and then they traded Landry for Martin, yet another adjustment period.

Sub par roster?

Seems pretty off base. If you can't recognize Brooks/Martin/Ariza/Scola/Yao then we cannot have a discussion.

All 5 of those players are bonafide NBA starters. All 5 of them know how or what to contribute to the team dynamic. Brooks penetrate and create, Martin spot up and get to the line, Ariza defense and spot shooting, Scola short jumpers/postgame, Yao same as Scola but bigger role. You can't ask for more distinct roles for a starting 5. At the same time all 5 guys don't have egos.

As far as the bench and their roles, Battier used to be a dependable starter, now he'll probably move to the bench. He strikes me as the type of player to embrace that role but can still come in and play some D and hit shots. Chase and Lowry have more than proved to be highly productive as backups. Miller is skilled big who has at least one more good year left in the tank. Hayes knows his duty is to rebound. The youngsters Hill and Patterson are just icing if they can provide anything at all.

As far as competing with LA, well they've done it before with a far lesser squad. Don't see how that's so difficult to comprehend.

tumbsup.png

It's a tough task coming out of the West as long as the Lakers are intact, but the fact of the matter is, the Rockets are a pretty deep team. People can think Yao is done, there's not enough firepower/too many role players, but if that is the case, then the Rockets more then ever needs to have depth at every position to have a shot and to compete. 

The key is Yao. We know Martin is one of the better efficient scorers in the league, and we know there's not too many C's that are on the same level as a healthy Yao, so if Yao is healthy/back to form, then you throw in everything else, and I think the Rockets will be better than advertised next year.

There's been some player movement out West, with Amare + Boozer heading east, and, teams like the Spurs are getting older.  It really is a crapshoot after the Lakers, so who knows.

so one superstar who is always hurt and nothing but career role players around him and thats not a sub par roster?

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

so one superstar who is always hurt and nothing but career role players around him and thats not a sub par roster?

Hey now, Chuck Hayes has grit.  That alone should equal half a dozen wins.  Dudes got the highest grit per game average in the league.

Rockets being contenders in the West.. 
laugh.gif

the thing about yao...his injury was very serious... you add that with the fact he is 30 years old AND 7 foot 6 at that. i would be very surprised if he can go 2 months without re injuring himself seriously again. There was a reason why there were rumblings that his injury might be career ending.. yea hes a good guy but this is where your height is a gift and a curse...

It's all talk right now anyways. Considering the Rockets were in the playoffs just two years ago with Yao and "role players"as you guys like to call them. More power to Yao right?

Hey now, Chuck Hayes has grit.  That alone should equal half a dozen wins.  Dudes got the highest grit per game average in the league.

laugh.gif
Guy stays reaching for the lulz and not making any substantial points

I never said the Rockets are contenders. But at the same time, the Rockets aren't trash.

Let's be real. No Yao + no TMac last year, and we all thought, myself included, thought the Rockets were gonna be trash. They were 42-40.

Yao back (hopefully) and a full season of Kevin Martin, who's proven to be a legit scorer (instead of Brooks doing it by himself last year) and the Rockets should make the playoffs. And because Yao is oft injured, it makes it even more important for the Rockets to play as a team/have depth so it can be a collective effort, if he does go down again.

The point here the past couple of pages is Brad Miller. The Rockets don't have a backup C. Hayes did the best he could filling in, and so did Scola, but they're still PF's. Miller gives the Rockets a legit backup C who can step in to start if need be. Did they overpay? Maybe, but the 3rd year is only partially guaranteed, and it's not like nobody wanted Miller. There were a handful of teams interested in him.

laugh.gif
Nas

laugh.gif
Guy stays reaching for the lulz and not making any substantial points
It's all good man. Should probably be talking about this in a Rockets thread anyways. Folks here would rather talk about the Wolves or Grizzlies in here. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom