* Offiical NBA Off-Season Thread: I'll give one of my damn kidney's for these Melo rumors to stop *

I just don't see how Rudy can't be a legit 2nd option on a team playing next to a superstar.

Most people felt the same way about Pau in Memphis. Not good enough to LEAD a team, but would be an ideal match playing next to a superstar and less pressure on him.

Even though he's only 23, he should automatically mature once he gets older. If he goes to Minnesota, then it would be a disaster for him. He's not the type that can turn a bad team around, but I think he can push a good team to being great with already a superstar in place and good foundation. Maybe its because I'm looking at him in the future and not right now at his current age.

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens a year or two down the line like we did with the Zach situation.

This one pillow biter? 
laugh.gif

Doing mock drafts this far ahead of the draft is always a challenge. Teams are still working out players and gathering info, and for the most part, they are still a few weeks from making a decision on whom they'll draft. To complicate things, there has been an abundance of trade talk surrounding draft picks this year.

Per sources in the league, the Philadelphia 76ers, Minnesota Timberwolves, Golden State Warriors, Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers, Toronto Raptors, Chicago Bulls, San Antonio Spurs and Oklahoma City Thunder all have had discussions about moving up, down or out of the draft.

The Pistons, Spurs and Thunder have been the most aggressive about moving up.

The Pistons have been searching for a big and would love to get their hands on either DeMarcus Cousins or Derrick Favors. The Spurs and Thunder also are in the hunt for a big and have targeted a number of teams in the lottery to move up a few spots. The Thunder have multiple picks to offer. The Spurs have Tony Parker or George Hill. While the Spurs aren't necessarily shopping either player, they're not untouchable, either. If the Spurs can get another big man to help prolong Tim Duncan's career, they'll do it.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5260049#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5260142&story=5260049">http://sports.espn.go.com...260142&...idth=640,height=550,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
ins_u_parker_300.jpg

Mark J. Rebilas/US PresswireTony Parker might not saddle up for the Spurs next season.

The Wolves continue to look in all directions. They have interest in moving up to the No. 2 spot to grab Evan Turner and have shown interest in perhaps trading one or two of their first-round picks for a player like Anthony Randolph.

The Pacers and Raptors are in the same boat as the Wolves. They would like to move up in the draft and have inquired about the Sixers' and Nets' picks. They also wouldn't mind moving out of the draft if they got the right pieces in return.
[h3]A new twist with Turner[/h3]
I might have jumped the gun a bit when I put Favors at No. 2 in my latest mock draft. As I wrote last week, I had sources disagreeing on which direction the Sixers were leaning. Some suggested Favors, others Turner and one said Cousins. However, I decided to lean toward a source who said he had direct knowledge of Doug Collins' thinking and that Collins liked Favors.

Since the mock draft, I've gotten a number of strong signals from inside the Sixers' organization that Turner is the guy they'll take at No. 2.

While the signals certainly could be legit, I take some of those indications with a grain of salt. Since Turner is the consensus No. 2 pick in the draft, the Sixers want other teams trying to trade up for him (the Wolves and Pacers seem to be the hottest suitors) to believe they're taking him. If teams think he's slipping, they'll begin dealing with New Jersey instead.

For what it's worth, the Sixers are still asking teams to take back Elton Brand's contract in a deal for the No. 2 pick. But virtually every GM I've spoken with believes the Sixers will soften their stance as we get closer to the draft.

The Sixers also are exploring other trade possibilities. The team had Andre Iguodala on the trade block in February and might look to put him back on the market this summer. If Iguodala goes, suddenly Turner looks like a better fit in Philly.
[h3]The Jazz and the Monroe Doctrine[/h3]
The Utah Jazz historically don't do a lot of workouts, often targeting a few players in their draft range and then selecting from that group. But when they do workouts, they do them right. Over the past few days, they've examined some of the best prospects in the draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5260049#/sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5260223&story=5260049">http://sports.espn.go.com...260223&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">[+] Enlarge
in_a_monroe_200.jpg

AP Photo/Charles Rex ArbogastGreg Monroe's workout in Utah was a one-man show.

On Friday, they brought in Georgetown big man Greg Monroe for a solo workout. Monroe's agent, David Falk, will let Monroe work out against only Cousins or Favors. Since neither player is projected to be available at No. 9, Monroe went at it alone in Utah.

On Sunday, the Jazz brought in Gordon Hayward, Luke Babbitt, Xavier Henry and Al-Farouq Aminu for a head-to-head workout of the four best swingmen in Utah's draft range.

The Jazz don't have any other high-profile workouts scheduled. Glean from that what you will, but I think it's safe to say those are the five prospects the Jazz are considering at No. 9. Monroe fits a big need if Carlos Boozer leaves this summer. Henry, Babbitt, Hayward and Aminu all fill a void left by Kyle Korver hitting free agency.

From the sound of things, Monroe is still atop the Jazz's list. But it seems like Babbitt is strongly in the running, too. The Jazz have been higher on Babbitt than most all year. The rest of the league is playing catch-up to what Utah was saying in January.
[h3]The interest in Indy[/h3]
Picking right behind the Jazz are the Pacers at No. 10. The Pacers also got to work early last week and had virtually every player they'll be considering in for workouts. On Tuesday, they brought in Daniel Orton, Ekpe Udoh, Hassan Whiteside, Lance Stephenson and Derrick Caracter. The next day, they watched Avery Bradley, Eric Bledsoe, Sherron Collins, Willie Warren and Jordan Crawford.

Much like the Jazz, I think you're looking at the key players the Pacers will be considering at 10. If they go big, Orton, Udoh and Whiteside are the three guys they'll likely consider. Obviously Ed Davis or Monroe would be in the picture, too, if they were to fall, but neither player is expected to be there at No. 10.

If the Pacers go with a guard, it most likely will be Bradley or Bledsoe. While 10 might be a bit high for both players, point guard is the Pacers' biggest need and both players have sufficient upside.

Other prospects like Collins, Warren, Crawford, Stephenson and Caracter would be in the mix for the Pacers' pick at No. 40.

It's too early to say which way the Pacers are leaning. Of the bigs, Udoh seems like the safest choice, but Orton and Whiteside have more upside. As far as point guards go, I think Bradley has the edge over Bledsoe at the moment.
[h3]Knee knocks[/h3]
Last week I reported that there were no medical red flags coming out of the physicals at the draft combine. A week later, after each team's medical staff has had a chance to look at the results, the top prospects still appear to be clear.

However, a few teams have privately expressed some concerns about Orton's left knee. While the issue hasn't risen to the point that a team would seriously consider not drafting him, there are worries his knee is still weak and might have some structural issues.

Orton tore cartilage in his left knee in November 2008 and ended up missing his senior year of high school. This past February, Kentucky coach John Calipari noted to the media that he felt Orton was still hobbled by the knee -- although Orton, at the time, claimed it was 100 percent.

While the teams that had the information stressed that the concerns have not scared them away from drafting him, they do muddy the waters a bit when you factor Orton's sparse playing time this past season and the fact that he lacks the production of other big men in the draft.

The other player with injury questions swirling around him is Memphis guard Elliot Williams. Williams suffered a minor knee injury after a workout with the Spurs and skipped the combine. He hasn't really been heard from since. Several NBA teams say he has turned down multiple workouts.

There are two possible interpretations. One is that Williams' injury is worse than he's letting on and he can't work out. The second is that a team somewhere in the first round has promised to pick him and he is sitting out the workout process. Of the two, the second scenario seems more likely. Williams has been working out in L.A. for the past few weeks, and I'm told by sources that he's fine.

So where is the promise? The Memphis Commercial Appeal speculates that San Antonio might be the culprit because he's worked out there. The Spurs do have a history of making such promises, and the 20th pick isn't out of Williams' range. I'd also pay close attention to the Memphis Grizzlies. After passing on Memphis guard Tyreke Evans last year, they might have decided they're better off taking a hometown kid with one of their three first-round picks this year.
[h3]There's no place like home[/h3]
Finally, this year's international crop is looking weaker and weaker by the day. Forward Donatas Motiejunas withdrew from the draft Friday. Motiejunas was the only international player in the draft who projected as a potential lottery pick.

Last week we got more news that Kevin Seraphin (currently the only international player we have in the first round) had injured his knee and would be out the next few weeks. His agent, Bouna Ndiaye, insists that Seraphin hasn't withdrawn from the draft, but if the injury is serious enough, he might have no choice. Ndiaye told me he's looking for a first-round promise for Seraphin. If the right team commits, he'll stay. If no one does, he'll pull out of the draft.

If Seraphin withdraws, we could be facing the first year without an international player in the first round since 1995.

If a player or two creeps in, keep an eye on two prospects -- Tibor Pleiss and Miroslav Raduljica. There are five teams with two or more first-round picks. Someone's going to want to stash one of these guys overseas.

Pleiss is a 7-footer from Germany. He's a hustle player who gets things done on the defensive end, despite lacking strength and offensive polish at the moment. While he's still a year or two away from being an impact player in the NBA, he's a nice developmental pick.

Raduljica is the other guy who could get some love. The Serbian big man posted solid numbers in the Adriatic league this year, and he has the size and strength to make it in the NBA. Raduljica didn't endear himself to several NBA executives when he bailed at the last minute on a workout at the Eurocamp. However, I'm told by a source inside the camp that a team representative might have convinced Raduljica to shut down the workout. That could be a sign that a team already has him locked up late in the first.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I just don't see how Rudy can't be a legit 2nd option on a team playing next to a superstar.

Most people felt the same way about Pau in Memphis. Not good enough to LEAD a team, but would be an ideal match playing next to a superstar and less pressure on him.

Even though he's only 23, he should automatically mature once he gets older. If he goes to Minnesota, then it would be a disaster for him. He's not the type that can turn a bad team around, but I think he can push a good team to being great with already a superstar in place and good foundation. Maybe its because I'm looking at him in the future as a member of my beloved team, therefore can't grasp any other opinion on the dude.  and not right now at his current age.

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens a year or two down the line like we did with the Zach situation.
Rudy is not what Pau was either.  MAYBE you could get by with Rudy as a 3 man, but even that would make me very very nervous. 

But, we'll see where he lands, and with whom, and go from there.  And if I'm wrong, I'll come in a say it, no problem. 

Worst case scenario for me:

Clippers take George
Jazz take Babbitt
Hornets take Henry

Along with Udoh taking above those players.

ohwell.gif

Rudy is not what Pau was either.  MAYBE you could get by with Rudy as a 3 man, but even that would make me very very nervous. 

But, we'll see where he lands, and with whom, and go from there.  And if I'm wrong, I'll come in a say it, no problem. 
I'm just looking at their situations the same way. People wanted Pau to be something he wasn't, which was the main guy. We paid him like that guy and fans expected more out of him.

Pau was criticized for being weak, not playing well in crunch time and being a quitter at the end of games in Memphis, similar to how Rudy is criticized for not always playing hard when things don't go his way, defense is subpar, etc. What I can say about him is that he's taking a step each summer to improve his game, so I can respect him for that.

I'm ready to see how things pan out though. I still view Rudy as our most talented player overall even though OJ and Marc are my favorite players on that team. It seems like he does realize that he needs to put all of the tools together quick especially if he gets this huge deal before people criticize him even more in the future. I just want to see what he has in store.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If I was the T'Wolves and I wanted to get the number 2 pick and Rudy Gay, then I'd consider a 3 team trade with the Grizzlies and 76ers.

Philly gets Z-Bo
Memphis gets Al Jefferson
Minnesota gets number 2, Rudy Gay and Elton Brand

T'Wolves would have probably have to give up another player to make the contracts work, but I think it'd be a solid trade for them. Draft Derrick Favors who I think would do well alongside Love and use Brand as your veteran leader.

Or the T'Wolves could just draft Cousins at 4 who is going to be a pretty solid player and not tie themselves up with Brand's contract.

roll.gif
So Philly would be trading the number 2 pick in the draft aka Evan Turner AND Elton Brand, who was an All Star just a few years ago and should be fully recovered for this season, for just Zach Randolph who might be getting suspended or even arrested for supposebly running a drug ring? Memphis gives away Rudy Gay (probably their biggest free agent ever) for Al Jefferson who's coming off a down year and knee surgery? Minnesota gets 3 legit starters including the number 2 pick while keeping the number 4, 16, 23, 45 and 56 picks in the draft? This is the one of the worst fantasy trade scenarios I've ever heard in my life.

Just because he has talent doesn't make him a better player

You can't even compare gay to gasol.

I've heard of a few talks Philly has had with different teams to get back into the draft to take one of the centers in the draft, supposebly Aldrich. One is Thad Young and Lou Williams to the Pacers for Jeff Foster and the #10 pick.
Another is Lou and Thad to the Raptors for Jack, Bellinelli and the #13 pick. Toronto only wants to do this deal if they can find a taker for Hedo, and the Sixers don't want his contract.

I also heard we've been inquiring about bringing Delonte back home.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

AND Elton Brand, who was an All Star just a few years ago and should be fully recovered for this season,
Elton Brand is finished.
Originally Posted by BangDak

Minny needs someone to "lure" Rubio to the NBA huh?
laugh.gif
smh.gif
I knew some idiot on here would look too much into that.

It's about making him comfortable here. Nothing more, nothing less. It was just the Blazers radio analysts opinion that we were bringing him in to lure Rubio.

Quotes from Rubio in the past week:
[h1]
“The Timberwolves are a team that has confidence in me and that’s very important. They may have only won 15 games, but they are in a moment of development and we have to see how they evolve next year because it’s very important to be part of a team with vision. Let’s see next year if things gel.
[/h1]

If the Wolves give Rudy Gay a max deal then Kahn has no clue on what's he doing in office. I'll protest for Mchale to come back to office.

Dear, Kahn
SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR MELO. YES I'M DREAMING BUT IT'S MELO...........MELO JUST WAIT.
Thank You, HOOD17

Originally Posted by JPZx

Why would the Raptors and the Pacers do either of those trades??

I guess for the Pacers, they have a young Jeff Foster in Hansbrough and they get a young point guard that was averaging 18 and 6 halfway through the season before Iverson got there plus Thad, who they could start next to Granger.
The Toronto deal, I have no clue. But I'm just going by what I heard, don't know anything else.

And I think Collins being there is going to help out Brand immensely. He's already planned a meeting with himself, Coach K and Brand. I think he still has some basketball in him.

Originally Posted by h3at23

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

Melo might want to hold off. Doesnt the owner of the Nuggets have to sale the team because hes buying the Rams? If thats the case who knows who will buy the team and who they will hire and all that. New owners could come in and blow up everything and Melo would be stuck, he'd lose any leverage he has.

He's not really "selling" the Nuggets. He's basically just putting it in someone else's name in his family so he can buy the Rams. Unless something changed
He was going to put the Nuggets and the Avalanche in his wifes name but last I heard it got denied so they are just looking to sale them as a combo package. Atleast thats what I read in the local paper a while back. Things could be different now though.

Damn i must have hit a nerve there, relax bro.

Besides you, i dont think anyone on this board even thinks Rubio would ever even go to Minny.

smh JPZ, come on man......

1. The knicks current roster (minus the headaches) isnt as bad as you make it seem. We will clean our act up ALOT FASTER (with our without bron) than any method Kahn is taking.

2. Yes we've been bad over the last decade, but both teams have been equally bad after 2005 and the Twolves were in a FAR BETTER scenario year after year with top 5 picks (and multiple first round picks) to get better and they still havent.

3. Just because Rubio said some nice things about Minnesota doesnt mean he wants to play there. Do you honestly believe he'll say anything negative about the place during an interview?

Nah you didn't hit a nerve, it's just any little thing you see about Rubio you try to read between the lines and what not. Rather annoying. Just let the situation play out, because if Rubio does come, don't think I won't dig up everything you said concerning Rubio for the fun of it
laugh.gif

DubA, a fellow Knick fan of yours, thinks Rubio is going to Minny. I didn't have to go farther than the NYK fanbase...

i honestly dont think he'll ever wear a knicks uniform anymore, but hey atleast i can trade him to the knicks in nba 2k12
laugh.gif
. i just dont want so much potential/talent to be wasted in Minnesota (low blow)
laugh.gif
jp man.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If I was the T'Wolves and I wanted to get the number 2 pick and Rudy Gay, then I'd consider a 3 team trade with the Grizzlies and 76ers.

Philly gets Z-Bo
Memphis gets Al Jefferson
Minnesota gets number 2, Rudy Gay and Elton Brand

T'Wolves would have probably have to give up another player to make the contracts work, but I think it'd be a solid trade for them. Draft Derrick Favors who I think would do well alongside Love and use Brand as your veteran leader.

Or the T'Wolves could just draft Cousins at 4 who is going to be a pretty solid player and not tie themselves up with Brand's contract.

roll.gif
So Philly would be trading the number 2 pick in the draft aka Evan Turner AND Elton Brand, who was an All Star just a few years ago and should be fully recovered for this season, for just Zach Randolph who might be getting suspended or even arrested for supposebly running a drug ring? Memphis gives away Rudy Gay (probably their biggest free agent ever) for Al Jefferson who's coming off a down year and knee surgery? Minnesota gets 3 legit starters including the number 2 pick while keeping the number 4, 16, 23, 45 and 56 picks in the draft? This is the one of the worst fantasy trade scenarios I've ever heard in my life.
Elton Brand is too undersized, Sixers are definitely trying to get rid of his horrid contract in any way shape or form.

Although I do agree that this trade is absurd

Originally Posted by h3at23

Melo might want to hold off. Doesnt the owner of the Nuggets have to sale the team because hes buying the Rams? If thats the case who knows who will buy the team and who they will hire and all that. New owners could come in and blow up everything and Melo would be stuck, he'd lose any leverage he has.

He's not really "selling" the Nuggets. He's basically just putting it in someone else's name in his family so he can buy the Rams. Unless something changed
He was going to put the Nuggets and the Avalanche in his wifes name but last I heard it got denied so they are just looking to sale them as a combo package. Atleast thats what I read in the local paper a while back. Things could be different now though.

Yea, he's trying to put it in his son's name now

The Rosenbloom family wants to sell its 60 percent share of the team to Kroenke, and oe NFL owner says "everybody" wants to see Kroenke own the team. The biggest hurdle is that Kroenke owns the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche, and the NFL doesn't allow owners to own other teams in other markets.

Although there's been talk that Kroenke would get around that rule by having his wife own the two Denver teams, Kroenke suggested that he's actually looking at transferring the teams to his son.

"Our son Josh has been involved with many of our organizations for several years and that family continuity remains a priority," Kroenke said. "My family looks forward to owning the Rams, Nuggets and Avalanche for years to come while being compliant with all stipulations set by the NFL. Our family remains committed to fans in St. Louis and Denver."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ounds-confident-hell-be-able-to-buy-the-rams/

Same thing I asked in the Bron thread, the hell are the Cavs doin tryin to get a college coach to come win in the NBA? 
grin.gif

That is beyond stupid imo.  Izzo can be the best coach in the college game for all I care, he won't win in the NBA, come on. 

It's almost like they are giving the signal that they think Bron is gone regardless or something.  And Bron would run all over him even if he did come back. 

That whole situation is a mess. 
smh.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

DubA, a fellow Knick fan of yours, thinks Rubio is going to Minny. I didn't have to go farther than the NYK fanbase...

i mean i just can't see this kahn jumping through hoops and walking on fire like he's been doing, all just to trade him. Especially to his old mentor. But hey you never know. Rubio has the leverage. if Kahn thinks he's going to get fired soon, he could trade him to someone as a favor and in return be part of that orginization.

and if a great deal from a team comes, minny may just take it to be over with this mess.

i don't really care about rubio that much to be honest. i just want to see him play. knicks got much bigger fish to fry at the moment anyway.

[h1]Sources: Turkoglu longs for return to Kings[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 30 minutes ago

Already public with his desire to be traded, disgruntled Toronto Raptors forward Hedo Turkoglu(notes) has privately expressed to league friends a desire to return to the Sacramento Kings, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

After Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo brought him to Toronto with a five-year, $53 million contract last summer, Turkoglu had a tumultuous season and recently told Turkish television – and apparently the organization – that he no longer wants to play for the franchise.

The Kings and Raptors have yet to engage in trade discussions, sources say, but communication is a likely possibility before the end of the month. There won’t be much of a market for the declining veteran, but there are scenarios where he could make sense for the Kings.

The Kings need a small forward with an ability to put the ball on the floor and general manager Geoff Petrie drafted Turkoglu and shepherded his development into one of the NBA’s more versatile players. League executives believe Sacramento would need Toronto to minimally take forward Andres Nocioni(notes) and the two years, $13.5 million left on his contract.

The Kings seem inclined to get better in the short term with some veteran additions, and they’d have to evaluate how much more Turkoglu could give them over the next two or three seasons.

Questions do abound about Turkoglu, who became something of a symbol of the Raptors’ inability to surround All-Star free-agent forward Chris Bosh(notes) with a contending supporting cast. Turkoglu, 31, was fined and suspended for a March 28 game after he was seen out in a Toronto bar on a night he was supposed to be ill with the flu. He had one of his least-productive seasons in years, averaging 11.3 points and 4.6 rebounds. He averaged 19.5 and 16.8 points in his last two seasons with the Magic.

Turkoglu’s salary promises to make difficult yet another rebuilding of the Raptors. The Raptors have three years and more than $29 million left on the contract of point guard Jose Calderon(notes), whom Colangelo brought up in discussions near the February trade deadline.

Money seems to be little object for the Raptors. Bryan Colangelo hired assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo for an annual $650,000 salary and perks, sources say, a stunning figure in this ever-tightening economic climate for coaches. From their time together with the San Antonio Spurs, Carlesimo and Turkoglu have a solid relationship. Carlesimo was largely brought into Toronto to help with the team’s defense.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Same thing I asked in the Bron thread, the hell are the Cavs doin tryin to get a college coach to come win in the NBA? 
grin.gif

That is beyond stupid imo.  Izzo can be the best coach in the college game for all I care, he won't win in the NBA, come on. 

It's almost like they are giving the signal that they think Bron is gone regardless or something.  And Bron would run all over him even if he did come back. 

smh.gif
Dan Gilbert is from Michigan and is a Michigan St. grad.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

CP1708 wrote:
grin.gif

smh.gif
Dan Gilbert is from Michigan and is a Michigan St. grad.

Ok, I see the connection, and thas cool and all, but I'm from Long Beach and  I don't see Snoop lookin to put me on his next record anytime soon. 
laugh.gif

Gilbert hiring his friend, or a guy he knew, or someone from his Alma mater, isn't the best way to run a business.  Much less a multi million dollar one. 

But hey, let them fail, I'm cool with it. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom