Official Warriors Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

S&T my friend, S&T..
pimp.gif

JapanAir with the loopholes
laugh.gif

You know it man, if we thought of getting KVH out of retirement, we can do anything!!

Hell, anyway we can do a S&T with Terry Cummings?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

i dont know why some of you think baron davis is expendable. without him the warriors would not have won a single game in last yr's playoffs. wasnt baronthe leading scorer int he playoffs lats yr? when its time for someone to step up,baron steps up big. that last game against phx was the cause of fatigue,youcould tell his legs prolly felt like bricks.

Originally Posted by ussjme

i dont know why some of you think baron davis is expendable. without him the warriors would not have won a single game in last yr's playoffs. wasnt baron the leading scorer int he playoffs lats yr? when its time for someone to step up,baron steps up big. that last game against phx was the cause of fatigue,you could tell his legs prolly felt like bricks.
him being expendable more has to do with his salary and his age. he's still young, but he won't be young when our future young core reachestheir prime. i'd love to keep him around but if we can improve our team by trading him we have to do it. he's definitely our best player for thepresent...but a couple years years later that really might not be the case, imo.

Originally Posted by ussjme

i dont know why some of you think baron davis is expendable. without him the warriors would not have won a single game in last yr's playoffs. wasnt baron the leading scorer int he playoffs lats yr? when its time for someone to step up,baron steps up big. that last game against phx was the cause of fatigue,you could tell his legs prolly felt like bricks.

Baron Davis isn't expendable... unless we can replace him. Now to replace him is the hard part.
Yes he was the leader in the playoffs, but that was 2007, it's 2008 now. We have to move on.

cheezybaby, you sure are right on one thing... the Warriors could have used his 40% 3pt shooting.
ohwell.gif

If you want to regret anything, check out what a year Dunleavy had, I'm surprised he's not an MIP candidate.
sick.gif

he isn't? that's quite odd.
dunleavy just doesn't work in the Ws system, plain and simple. we don't need another person to jack up 3s and not play defence.
it's nice-- i guess
eyes.gif
-- to see him have a good season. iunno how hegot so much better shooting the ball though.

Originally Posted by offbad

cheezybaby, you sure are right on one thing... the Warriors could have used his 40% 3pt shooting.
ohwell.gif

If you want to regret anything, check out what a year Dunleavy had, I'm surprised he's not an MIP candidate.
sick.gif

dunleavy just doesn't work in the Ws system, plain and simple. we don't need another person to jack up 3s and not play defence.
it's nice-- i guess
eyes.gif
-- to see him have a good season. iunno how he got so much better shooting the ball though.

Thing is, when we first drafted Dunleavy, our offense was different and he still couldn't flourish (or at least improve year to year) back then. Correctme if I'm wrong, but we weren't considered a running team until Nellie arrived.

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

i havent followed this thread, or much of the warriors, but why all the hate (for lack of a better word) for Baron?

We don't hate Baron. We're being critical of his play / shot selection and his contract situation combined with his age. He's 29 and seeking a4-5 year contract extension. He's due to make roughly $17 mil next season.

Originally Posted by offbad

ohwell.gif

sick.gif

it's nice-- i guess
eyes.gif
-- to see him have a good season. iunno how he got so much better shooting the ball though.

Thing is, when we first drafted Dunleavy, our offense was different and he still couldn't flourish (or at least improve year to year) back then. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we weren't considered a running team until Nellie arrived.

oh yeah i know. hence: diogu, foyle, murphy, etc. he still sucked back then too. tried to do too much with the ball.
i was referring to the trade that we would have "regretted" that JapanAir21 spokeof

here's the mindset of dunleavy as i remember it (someone correct me if i'm wrong):
get the ball. run full speed downcourt.
a)get trapped somewhere. hoist up a shot.
b)try to penetrate and do nothing.

Then when baron arrived:
get the ball. run full speed downcourt.
a)get trapped somewhere.
  1. hoist up a shot
  2. baron save me!
b)try to penetrate and do nothing.

and on defence.. well..
laugh.gif

edit**
i will say this though-- i did like murphy. i wish we would have kept him.

Originally Posted by acidicality

S&T my friend, S&T..
pimp.gif

JapanAir with the loopholes
laugh.gif
roll.gif
i know if i ever say something and it turns out not to be true, i can always use the JapAir exception.
pimp.gif

I said I'd streak if the 49ers drafted DeSean Jackson, so I know where it could come in handy.
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

JA exception,
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

i havent followed this thread, or much of the warriors, but why all the hate (for lack of a better word) for Baron?

We don't hate Baron. We're being critical of his play / shot selection and his contract situation combined with his age. He's 29 and seeking a 4-5 year contract extension. He's due to make roughly $17 mil next season.

�Probably why he's looking for an extension, no offense but he's getting old and probably just wants to secure some money later on.

The way I see it is, the longer we keep the run and gun offense the faster Baron will wear down. and we maybe running that offense for at least another twoyears. So signing him to a 4-5 year extension probably won't help us out in the long run.

and here a couple of pics from the game. crowd was wack, bunch of girls screaming at the top of their lungs for Monta during shoot around. some wack ladyasking for Barnes to go in and mispronouncing 'Buike's name badly. crowd was dead til the end of the 4th quarter.
Barnett shooting threes. dude was making it til he had to stop to let some HS cheer team take the floor. painting of BD at halftime. didn't know what dudewas making til it was over.�
fb5153e6590355ffb6ad8d725eec1ca6d875a01.jpg
������
b2435695eab65e7b054c5b17fdc0879cde184a5.jpg

vid of the intro, LMFAO at Al getting knocked down, couldn't help but laugh at that one.

Wish the team acted that pumped up during the last stretch of the season going 8-11
smh.gif
sick.gif
. They start 0-6 and finish 8-11. Thats 8-17 in that stretch,+@%%%%% horrible.

That's a sick painting of Baron!

That dude (I keep on forgetting his name) does those paintings all the time. He made a Martin Luther King, Jr. painting on Martin Luther King Day duringhalftime.

And yeah, the crowd does suck now. Not like last year's playoffs. I guess you can contribute that to the increase in ticket prices. The increase in ticketprices sort of makes it exclusive for the laid back people with money purchase them. That and bandwagoners buying tickets keeping the real fans out.

offbad, when/where did buike say he's not picking up his option?

I hadn't heard that yet.

Personally, I'd think he'd be worth more if he stuck it out for one year, shown his knee is aight and whatnot. That's just my two cents.

It'll be interesting this off season to see what happens with:
1) Our cap room, the order of the signings..i.e - monta, andris....
2) Will we welcome back Pietrus?
3) Will Barnes be in the NBA next season?
4) PG/backup PG.
5) Key FA's
6) Draft position.

Cheezy, you at least make me LOL with your posts. Doesn't matter who took a bigger L, both teams aren't in the playoffs...At least we don't haveSean May though.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

offbad, when/where did buike say he's not picking up his option?

I hadn't heard that yet.

Personally, I'd think he'd be worth more if he stuck it out for one year, shown his knee is aight and whatnot. That's just my two cents.

It'll be interesting this off season to see what happens with:
1) Our cap room, the order of the signings..i.e - monta, andris....
2) Will we welcome back Pietrus?
3) Will Barnes be in the NBA next season?
4) PG/backup PG.
5) Key FA's
6) Draft position.

Cheezy, you at least make me LOL with your posts. Doesn't matter who took a bigger L, both teams aren't in the playoffs...At least we don't have Sean May though.

it was somewhere back here in this post, but here it is..
One young guy who may not be back is second-year guard Kelenna Azubuike, who said Wednesday -- not surprisingly -- he will definitely be declining his player option with the Warriors for next season. Instead of getting paid a minimum salary of $797,581, Azubuike can seek greener pastures.

"It's been great here. I would definitely love to play here again next year, but we'll just see what happens," Azubuike said. "You may say something, and then someone gives you an offer that you can't refuse."

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_8953650

One guy who might not be back is second-year guard Kelenna Azubuike, who said he will decline his option with the Warriors for next season. Instead of getting paid a minimum salary of $797,581, Azubuike can seek greener pastures.

yea oracle hasn't been the same since the Dallas game. It's now a hot ticket to watch the Warriors and company execs love to go to the games just forstatus
smh.gif

but...no one here HATES Baron at all...ihe's done wonders for the team and is definitely our best player in a long time. however, we have a few playersthat have crazy potential, and when they reach it baron might not be around...it's wise to trade him if we get a can't-miss deal and it helps ourfuture out. Baron isn't in "untradeable" territory, Monta/Andris/Brandan are.

Originally Posted by acidicality

yea oracle hasn't been the same since the Dallas game. It's now a hot ticket to watch the Warriors and company execs love to go to the games just for status
smh.gif

but...no one here HATES Baron at all...ihe's done wonders for the team and is definitely our best player in a long time. however, we have a few players that have crazy potential, and when they reach it baron might not be around...it's wise to trade him if we get a can't-miss deal and it helps our future out. Baron isn't in "untradeable" territory, Monta/Andris/Brandan are.

word, i wonder how these boppers get the money for the seats. so far i've sat at lower level the couple of times i went to W's games but never beenpast row 21. half if not all of them don't even know anything about basketball and just there to see Monta/Barnes.

also stayed outside the players lot for a bit, saw someone throwing free shirts at the car but couldn't see who it was. Andris was at the lot for about5 mins talking with some of his people before he left. Barnes was cool though, he stayed in the lot in front of the players lot for about 10 minutes signingautographs. and once Monta left all the girls just ran to Barnes' car
laugh.gif
. then on the way to the bart met a couple who got one of POB's shoes, they asked us to walk with them cause some other girl who didn't get theshoe was threatening them.. all for POB's shoe!
roll.gif

Without the playoffs this year, I'd imagine it'll be a better crowd next year.

That's my guess, and I got season tickets so I'm bout it.

Thanks for that offbad, for some reason I thought his option was higher. I may have confused him with Kosta I guess.

And yeah, the crowd does suck now. Not like last year's playoffs. I guess you can contribute that to the increase in ticket prices. The increase in ticket prices sort of makes it exclusive for the laid back people with money purchase them. That and bandwagoners buying tickets keeping the real fans out.

Hell yea...Earlier when I went to the Bobcats game, I was sitting in the lower bowl about 3 rows from the visitors bench. The folks in front and behind mewere just chatting it up all game long and it wasn't about the game, the W's, or sports in general. I was pretty loud cheering them on and kept gettingstared at
laugh.gif
http://acidicality.u.yuku.comacidicality wrote:

yea oracle hasn't been the same since the Dallas game. It's now a hot ticket to watch the Warriors and company execs love to go to the games just for status
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

I will never forget Game 6 vs Dallas. The whole section where I was at STOOD THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE GAME!!!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

word, i wonder how these boppers get the money for the seats. so far i've sat at lower level the couple of times i went to W's games but never been past row 21. half if not all of them don't even know anything about basketball and just there to see Monta/Barnes.
Stupid people
smh.gif

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

also stayed outside the players lot for a bit, saw someone throwing free shirts at the car but couldn't see who it was. Andris was at the lot for about 5 mins talking with some of his people before he left. Barnes was cool though, he stayed in the lot in front of the players lot for about 10 minutes signing autographs. and once Monta left all the girls just ran to Barnes' car
laugh.gif
. then on the way to the bart met a couple who got one of POB's shoes, they asked us to walk with them cause some other girl who didn't get the shoe was threatening them.. all for POB's shoe!
roll.gif
For POB's shoe? I'll say it again... stupid people
smh.gif

I don't want to be mean to new contributors to the Warriors Offseason Thread (I'd like to hear their point of view too), but please think things through before you hit the "Add Reply" or "Quick Reply" button.

Sorry.

[h1]WARRIORS SEASON IN REVIEW
Warriors not about to become a one-man show[/h1] [h2]Mullin says Golden State will stress playing together as a team

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer
[/h2]
Friday, April 18, 2008

(04-17) 21:46 PDT -- Hours before the season came to a quiet close, Chris Mullin leaned back in a courtside seat at Oracle Arena and delivered his impromptu end-of-year address.

Look-ahead time had arrived, and asked if he believed that Golden State had shifted toward becoming Monta Ellis' team, Mullin offered a decisive "No."

"When we play together as a team, we're more successful. If it's someone's team, not quite as successful," Mullin said. "The development of our young guys is just going to add to the success of our team. But it's not a team that is carried by one person."

In a way, Golden State's boss was right. The 48-win campaign that brought the Warriors' oh-so-close to the playoffs this season was not defined by the power of one, but the power of three.

Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson and Ellis all had career years under coach Don Nelson. This was their team, flawed as it was, and Nelson exhausted his go-to threesome before their inevitable late-season fade.

As the Warriors began scattering for the summer, Mullin and Nelson agreed that giving their heavy-lifters a lighter load - by way of real and consistent aid - is the key to improvement.

"We need some help," Nelson said. "To get deeper, to have a good draft, to maybe get a player there and maybe some free agents, (and to develop) our three rookies."

Mullin's intimidating summerlong project is to do that while avoiding the luxury tax, which the Warriors breezed under by about $8 million this season after the Jason Richardson trade.

Nearly $15 million is guaranteed to come off the books, but that will be offset by new deals for Ellis and Biedrins, whom Mullin vowed Wednesday to re-sign at whatever cost.

No such love exists for the rest of Golden State's free agents. Forwards Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes are almost certainly gone after their hugely-disappointing seasons. Same goes for center Patrick O'Bryant, who barely got a whiff in two years under Nelson.

The Warriors would like to keep Kelenna Azubuike, but if the standout reserve returns, it will be under a new contract. As expected, Azubuike said that he will opt out of the final year of his minimum-wage deal and test the market.

In essence, Golden State's bench will have to be rebuilt, and the team is counting on rookies Brandan Wright, Marco Belinelli and even Kosta Perovic to break into the rotation.

Mullin made multiple references to Wright, who missed the final week with a strained groin, as a possible solution to the Warriors' long-running weaknesses in shot-blocking, rebounding and post-play. Belinelli, once penciled in by Nelson as Richardson's immediate replacement, scored 17 points in Wednesday's season-ending loss to the Sonics.

"I'm really encouraged by the way they've developed despite not getting a lot of playing time," Mullin said. "Let's face it, there's an opportunity there to feel discouraged, to give up, and they haven't. I've seen a mind-set in those guys, Brandan, Marco, all our young guys, to maintain, to work through that."

Wright and Belinelli are expected to be on the Warriors' summer league team in July, while Perovic is probably bound for Serbian National Team duty.

Outside help can come in several ways. The Warriors will probably end up with the 14th pick in the June 26 draft. And though the salary-capped team will not be able to sign a major free agent outright, it still has a $10 million trade exception that expires just after the draft.

If the Warriors choose to travel the trade route again, it's Al Harrington who assumes Richardson's vulnerable position of being a high-salaried player coming off an inconsistent season. But Harrington hopes the core will return.

"There's a bunch of guys that like playing with each other," said Harrington, who is due about $9.3 million next season.

"We had a lot of ingredients and tools this year to get there," Davis added. "I think we just need a little bit more discipline as a team and a little bit more maturity. But that all comes throughout the course of a season."

And it starts with an offseason that came too soon for the Warriors' liking.

[h3]Breaking down the Warriors' roster[/h3] [table][tr][td]Name[/td] [td]Contract status[/td] [td]Janny Hu's comments[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kelenna Azubuike[/td] [td]Will opt out and become restricted free agent[/td] [td]Should garner part of a team's midlevel exception[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Matt Barnes[/td] [td]Unrestricted free agent[/td] [td]Back to his journeyman ways, sadly[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Marco Belinelli[/td] [td]Signed through 08-09, team options for 09-10, 10-11[/td] [td]Can fan favorite become a Nellie favorite?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Andris Biedrins[/td] [td]Restricted free agent[/td] [td]Huge finish with seven straight double-doubles[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Austin Croshere[/td] [td]Unrestricted free agent[/td] [td]11-year vet would like to be back[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Baron Davis[/td] [td]Can opt out and become unrestricted free agent[/td] [td]Unlikely to opt out - or get desired extension[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Monta Ellis[/td] [td]Restricted free agent[/td] [td]Will Memphis or Philly drive up his price?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Al Harrington[/td] [td]Signed through 09-10[/td] [td]Rough year for Mr. Nice Guy[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Stephen Jackson[/td] [td]Signed through 09-10[/td] [td]Also eligible for extension[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Patrick O'Bryant[/td] [td]Unrestricted free agent[/td] [td]Finally released from the doghouse[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Kosta Perovic[/td] [td]Signed through 08-09, team option for 09-10[/td] [td]Well, not bad against Shaquille O'Neal[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mickael Pietrus[/td] [td]Unrestricted free agent[/td] [td]Au revoir et bonne chance[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C.J. Watson[/td] [td]Unrestricted free agent[/td] [td]Has toe in the NBA door[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Brandan Wright[/td] [td]Signed through 08-09, team options for 2009-10, 10-11[/td] [td]High hopes for raw rookie[/td] [/tr][/table]

So asides from the rookies, Mullin will tear down the bench and rebuild this offseason.Please make sure Nellie will use it though, Mullin.
grin.gif

Don Nelson's season-ending KNBR interview: Time to stop feeling sorry for yourself, Don
By Tim Kawakami
Thursday, April 17th, 2008 at 5:58 pm in NBA, TV-Radio, Warriors.

I'm a Don Nelson guy. Have been from the first shocking day the Warriors hired him almost two years ago. Think he's done an incredible job since then.

He's so much better than any of the last bunch of Warriors head coaches it's not funny.

Doesn't mean he's perfect, as I have often pointed out. But he has been excellent, no question. The guy is the second-best NBA coach (after Phil Jackson) I've ever covered.

Still, Nellie does thrum the nerve points sometimes.

I was a captive listener to the interview he just did with Tolbert and Barbieri (stuck in traffic on my happy way to HP Pavilion) and now I can't help myself-I'm here early for Sharks-Flames, time to kill, and I've got to say:

Don? Enough with the self-pity.

So you've gotten light criticism here and there and from me about your insistence on running your Big 3 into the ground this year and basically ignoring the young players in a desperate bid to reach the playoffs.

(Give Don credit: He admitted he did it to make the playoffs, and by not making the playoffs, maybe that's an oopsy.)

LIGHT CRITICISM, I repeat.

Nobody is saying Nelson should be fired or even chastized roughly. We all understand the pressures he faced in the race to 50 victories and with his veteran bench players falling apart one by one and with Baron Davis and Stephen Jackson choosing randomly whether to pay attention to him or nap during an opponent fastbreak.

WE GET IT. TOUGH JOB. That's a lock solid truth, or else Brian Winters would be celebrating his 300th career victory as Warriors coach right about now.

We also get that Nelson had Brandan Wright sitting there, yet he still gave Chris Webber 126 prime minutes in the middle of the season… for what reason?

We get that he trashed Patrick O'Bryant-OK, not at all a Nellie player-and now POB will probably go and be a decent back-up C elsewhere. While the Warriors could use a back-up C.

Tolbert is right: Nelson played Mitch, Timmy, Billy Owens and Spree when they were rookies. Glad Tom brought that up. But ah, that's the difference-those guys are all perimeter players.

The point: Don doesn't play BIG young players, and often doesn't want to play ANY BIG players at all (rebounding and shot blocking usually is sacrificed for shooting-and Don has succeeded doing that for a long time).

That paid off last year but, eventually, in this historic West, it killed the Warriors this season. You push three perimeter players to the brink and they just kill you-as Baron and SJax, in particular, did in the final month.

I am not going to back off of that point. Nobody should back off of that point. I know people inside the organization who don't mind the point being brought up, don't mind it at all.

So maybe Nellie has heard this too much. Maybe he's sick of this. He's got a million victories and has out-coached my butt every day of his life. Absolutely.

So what? He's getting $5.1M for this.

And oh yes: He's the guy who held out last summer in order to guarantee $2M in bonuses that originally only would've been paid if he made the playoffs and advanced a round this summer.

Which he didn't. He got $5.1M-elite level pay-for a team that did not make the playoffs. Not his fault, I realize, that the West was so loaded.

But still.

Hey, I'm the guy who wrote a column congratulating Don for benching Baron in the second half against Phoenix. Too bad he didn't do it earlier, but I get what he's doing. It's good coaching.

He's trying to move this team from all-Baron to spread it out to Ellis, maybe Wright, maybe Marco Belinelli AND Baron. That's smart and it's inevitable-the dumb coaches are the ones who wouldn't see that.

That's going to be tough, but there's almost nobody in the universe who I'd trust more to do it than Nellie.

He's not the Pope, though. It is possible that he's made a mistake or two in his life and this season, too.

Tolbert is right: Nelson played Mitch, Timmy, Billy Owens and Spree when they were rookies. Glad Tom brought that up. But ah, that's the difference-those guys are all perimeter players.

The point: Don doesn't play BIG young players, and often doesn't want to play ANY BIG players at all (rebounding and shot blocking usually is sacrificed for shooting-and Don has succeeded doing that for a long time).

whoever big man we might draft this yr, be prepared to go on a yr of studyin' game tapes and high 5'in onthe bench, Wright can tell ya.
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom