Official Umar Johnson Thread

The Vybz Kartel bleaching thing is a bit overstated. It's a bunch of outsiders looking in and don't really understand the context of why he did It and think he did just for the sake of "lightening his skin". At the time that he did it, he was somewhat of an outcast to the domestic dancehall scene. He had just split from a large conglomerate and went against them(verbally and physically). Public opinion on him was "he isn't good enough compared to Spragga, Bounty, Mavado, etc.) He was young and upcoming. Very talented. Actually was a better lyricist and use to write for some of the aforementioned and more, however, public perception is everything.

His career hit a bit of a standstill after the split, so he began doing a lot to garner public attention. He started his own record label to rival the one he split from. He got a number of tattoos all over which was considered taboo. Free Mason Rings etc. Eventually, he bleached his skin. Unfortunately, many didn't see the skin bleaching thing for what it was(another gimmick.) Kartel leaned into it to feed his unapologetic persona because he started to garner tons of attention cause people started to check on his music even more becoming the hottest artist both domestically and internationally. The darker skin photo P Present posted is actually more recent than the skin bleaching photo. He stopped bleaching his skin. Unfortunately, many of the youth from that time(15 or so years ago) picked it up and made skin bleaching a way of life.

As an American, I appreciate you sharing this.

I was into the whole wave Deva Bratt, Popcaan, Gaza Slim and such... until the skin bleaching thing.

As talented as Vybz Kartel is, once that happened all I could hear was...

Pardon the off topic but

Dancehall GOAT:

BrigadierJerry.jpg

As an American, I appreciate you sharing this.

I was into the whole wave Deva Bratt, Popcaan, Gaza Slim and such... until the skin bleaching thing.

As talented as Vybz Kartel is, once that happened all I could hear was...

Yeah man,, that was probably one of the interesting points of dancehall. Cats were running around buying CDs to hear the latest Kartel and Mavado. I met Mavado the summer before he blew up.

Pardon the off topic but

Dancehall GOAT:

BrigadierJerry.jpg

It's a shame he got himself locked up during his twilight years.

Too much explanation. Dope artists. I love Jamaica. I love the Caribbean. I love all the islands. From St. Croix to Trinidad…

… but ain’t no way around bleaching. That’s self hate

Jamaicans, Haitians, some Africans been bleaching wellll before Vybz starting. Ain’t nothing you can say to excuse that phenomenon. :lol:

no one is excusing it, but it doesnt take away from his musical abilities

GOAT for what? Dancehall? If so, I may have to agree. Mans is incarcerated and still putting out hits. He a little overhyped cause a riddim can come out and some other artist takes the riddim, but the bias will give it Kartel outright. But for the most part, he outclasses most. Hell, he took Neyo's Miss independent and turned it into a better song.

giphy.gif

as much as we make fun of him, he has absolute reason to be more than upset. I would venture to guess the PD deliberately sent black officers too just to further upset him. It's like 30 cops out there. Looking for alleged guns and drugs and finding books and Fila sandals

I hate, absolutely hate the "smelled marijuana" just cause to search people.

It has been abused and misused time and time again.

Back
Top Bottom