Official Umar Johnson Thread

They have an equivalent for the N word in Brazil.

negão is their equivalent of the a ending and nor the er​

Yeah he said that. Still wasn’t trying hear any of that.

When I went to visit Little Africa, discovered some fascinating history including Samba, the Black church, the community and slave port.

The actual slave port in Lil’Africa in Rio, was hidden until like 2010ish - the Brazilian govt tried to hide the landmark and history. Guess who helped uncovered it? America :lol:

The existence of slavery and the actual word ‘*****’ in the slang content is two different context/conversations and understanding.

there are many forms of the "n-word" throughout the diaspora. Dont go to Brazil and act hostile to another black person (if they were not black then I would understand) because they used it.

Correct. But the actual word in the context in the music they hear - from an American English - it doesn’t.

I grew up listening to French rap, and the equivalent word has similar connotations and limits on who can/can't use it in the context of French urban culture, which is predominantly made up of African immigrants.

Beyond that, the use and acceptance of nègre/négro is a lot more nuanced in French-speaking cultures than the use of n***er and derivative words in American English (an example is the Négritude movement, started by a consortium of Black intellectuals from West Africa, French overseas territories, and Haiti, and created to emulate American pro-black movements around the 1950s to respond to the ideas about black people promoted by colonial France).

there are many forms of the "n-word" throughout the diaspora. Dont go to Brazil and act hostile to another black person (if they were not black then I would understand) because they used it.

Who are you to tell me how I proceed about my boundaries when it comes to the n-word? :lol:

Black or any race, I can speak on it. But, it was an informed conversation because my guide was Brazilian - he was not aware, sincerely. I’m sure he felt he can identify to us due to his upbringing.

Last edited:
I grew up listening to French rap, and the equivalent word has similar connotations and limits on who can/can't use it in the context of French urban culture, which is predominantly made up of African immigrants.

Beyond that, the use and acceptance of nègre/négro is a lot more nuanced in French-speaking cultures than the use of n***er and derivative words in American English (an example is the Négritude movement, started by a consortium of Black intellectuals from West Africa, French overseas territories, and Haiti, and created to emulate American pro-black movements around the 1950s to respond to the ideas about black people promoted by colonial France).

Dope info. Thank you for sharing.

How do Black French identify themselves with the word as oppose to African immigrants? My life friend who French with African descendants, never used the word even our circle. I never bothered to ask.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to African immigrants/refuges. My experience/encounterment with some of them when it comes to my travels, they’re fascinated with the ideal of our American culture, but they don’t identify us as Black but more so Americans (like cluster us with white Americans).

It varies from place to place. If you listen to UK rap, grime etc the context is the same.

As I think about it, that’s might be my issue. I don’t listen to rap outside of our hip hop and some latin hip hop. I do listen to other international music genre.

Last edited:
I went to the Netherlands and I heard this one black dude call his other black dude the n word while they were speaking full on Dutch, I loved it lol.

I hope this thread is more of "The issues what is wrong with the black world as per Umar" vs "what about the school Umar"

Yeah, even in dancehall it's used.

That’s crazy. I must be listening to the wrong artists. Never heard any of the new stuff - I stay more so in the old school realm - Sean Paul, Damian Marley, Vybz, Buju, Sizzla, Jah Cure, Beanie, etc.

I am intrigued, now. :lol:

Not necessarily true. It does exist. It's found wherever the African diaspora exists. If black people were enslaved there, it exists. It may sound, spelled or be pronounced differently, but it exists.
The English n-word (ending in -a) is used over here by black people in the same way African Americans use it. There isn't really a Dutch equivalent that is used in that way, at least not to my knowledge.

As for the -er equivalent, we have a direct translation (kk's instead of gg's in the word) but it's very obscure and old, typically not something you'd hear in the recent decade. I've only ever heard it once in my whole life.
Our translation of the word "negro" is seen as racist and is pretty much our equivalent of that. From what I've heard, racists also just mix in the English n-word.

Last edited:
Thats the greatest musician of all time. FYI

giphy (1).gif

The Vybz Kartel bleaching thing is a bit overstated. It's a bunch of outsiders looking in and don't really understand the context of why he did It and think he did just for the sake of "lightening his skin". At the time that he did it, he was somewhat of an outcast to the domestic dancehall scene. He had just split from a large conglomerate and went against them(verbally and physically). Public opinion on him was "he isn't good enough compared to Spragga, Bounty, Mavado, etc.) He was young and upcoming. Very talented. Actually was a better lyricist and use to write for some of the aforementioned and more, however, public perception is everything.

His career hit a bit of a standstill after the split, so he began doing a lot to garner public attention. He started his own record label to rival the one he split from. He got a number of tattoos all over which was considered taboo. Free Mason Rings etc. Eventually, he bleached his skin. Unfortunately, many didn't see the skin bleaching thing for what it was(another gimmick.) Kartel leaned into it to feed his unapologetic persona because he started to garner tons of attention cause people started to check on his music even more becoming the hottest artist both domestically and internationally. The darker skin photo P Present posted is actually more recent than the skin bleaching photo. He stopped bleaching his skin. Unfortunately, many of the youth from that time(15 or so years ago) picked it up and made skin bleaching a way of life.

Too much explanation. Dope artists. I love Jamaica. I love the Caribbean. I love all the islands. From St. Croix to Trinidad…

… but ain’t no way around bleaching. That’s self hate

Jamaicans, Haitians, some Africans been bleaching wellll before Vybz starting. Ain’t nothing you can say to excuse that phenomenon. :lol:

Thats the greatest musician of all time. FYI
GOAT for what? Dancehall? If so, I may have to agree. Mans is incarcerated and still putting out hits. He a little overhyped cause a riddim can come out and some other artist takes the riddim, but the bias will give it Kartel outright. But for the most part, he outclasses most. Hell, he took Neyo's Miss independent and turned it into a better song.

How do Black French identify themselves with the word as oppose to African immigrants? My life friend who French with African descendants, never used the word even our circle. I never bothered to ask.
I haven't seen a difference between Black French and Black African immigrants when it comes to how they identify with the word. I've seen it used with the intent to convey the same negative and positive meanings it carries in English. However, it isn't a word that is used as frequently in French as it is in English (from my experience). What tomdiginson tomdiginson said about it holds true: wherever there was oppression of black folks, the word, with all its connotations, exists.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to African immigrants/refuges. My experience/encounterment with some of them when it comes to my travels, they’re fascinated with the ideal of our American culture, but they don’t identify us as Black but more so Americans (like cluster us with white Americans).
Honestly, this level of ignorance should be expected. Even though American culture has influenced pretty much every corner of the globe, there are lot of ethnic and regional nuances within the American cultural fabric that nobody living outside of the country could pick up just by consuming the culture. For example, people don't realize that the US is a very diverse cuisine; they think America is only burgers, fried chicken, and pizza because American exports are mostly Pizza Hut, McD, and KFC.

Same with people: they will lump all Americans in the same basket and not think twice about it.

Back
Top Bottom