Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

did anyone see singletary's post game interview

he said "we're going to review the tapes and then we're going to win enough games to make the playoffs"

Arizona losing
pimp.gif

only one game back now so we are in this and our schedule has 3 of the next 4 at home.

I dont know whether to like the Cards losing or dislike Carolina winning and giving us a lower pick next yr

I love what Sing has done to this team, but week after week he comes up with some motivational statement that's gonna make us believe this team is anygood.

Didn't he go on record and say when it's all said and done we'll have one of the best O-line there is? We're playing musical O-line chairs outthere. We have no depth nor talent at this position, we've done nothing in the draft to make me think otherwise.

This week just irks me to death, how in the hell can you be content in trying to protect that 14 point lead going against Peyton Manning? So many blunders withthe playcalling, decision making - I'm beginning to think Sing has no power to overrule a playcall coming from Raye.

We didn't play to our strength come the second half, which was a head scratcher in itself since Alex led the team to a sweet drive with then half wasending.

I've been very critical of Smith and with the 2 years off he's had he has finally had time to really read into defenses and coverages, coming from aspread offense that's the thing with QBs- the lack of understanding the defense .... I'll eat crow and say he's impressed the hell out of me.

He's healthy and has cannon of an arm, but that's only as good if our playcalling doesn't put him in the right situations to be successful. Thewhole second half, what a total of 47 yards? FAIL.

Everyone can think Crabby had a good game, but he looked a little shook today, nervous whatever you wanna call it.

2 dropped passes (screen and when he was running that post or whatever) ... I think he was worried about getting cracked and he didn't put forth 100%effort. Let's not even talk about the fumble - seems like week after week this team isn't prepared, from the O-line to the WRs ... coaches gotta do abetter job.

This game could have been huge, @++* a moral victory.

Titans look good with Vince Young back under center, we shouldn't underestimate them just because they finally got a W.

OUR SECONDARY CANNOT STOP ANYBODY

I AM ANGRY LOOK AT THE CAPS LOCK

WE SHOULD HAVE HAD THIS ONE

The coaching staff needs to realize that we DO NOT have the personnel to be a power running team. Aside from HUGE runs by Gore our running game sucks. If theywant to become a power running team we must draft and trade for better OLmen. Until then, we need to play to our strength and that's utilizing Alex in anoffense in which he looks very comfortable in and that's the spread.

[h2]
[/h2] [h2]http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers...-indefinitely-with-broken-shoulder-blade.html[/h2]
[h2]Clements out indefinitely with broken shoulder blade[/h2]

Nate Clements was not in the 49ers' starting lineup today, and it might be a while before he returns. Clements sustained a fractured right scapula in today's game against the Colts. At this point, it is unknown whether it's a season-ending injury.

Tackle Tony Pashos sustained a broken scapula (shoulder blade) last week and was placed on injured reserve. The degree of Clements' fracture will determine the 49ers' course of action, a team spokesman said.

Third-year cornerback Tarell Brown replaced Clements in the starting lineup at left cornerback Sunday against the Colts and played pretty well. Clements saw limited playing time when the 49ers went to their package of extra defensive backs.

Clements began the game as the 49ers' return man on punts. He averaged 7.8 yards on four punt returns. It was not immediately known if Clements sustained his injury on a punt return.

If Clements is out for the year, the 49ers will have a difficult decision to make. He is scheduled to make $6 million in base salary next season. If the team determines that is more than they're willing to pay for his services, their options are to release him or ask him to accept a pay reduction.

Tackle Joe Staley will undergo an MRI examination on Monday to reveal the extent of a right knee sprain that he sustained on the 49ers' first offensive play. Staley was walking around in the locker room. When the 49ers got on their flight after the game, they did not believe it would be a season-ending injury.

Barry Sims played the rest of the game at left tackle, and held his own against Colts sack master Dwight Freeney, who had one sack and two tackles.

--Defensive lineman Demetric Evans was listed on the injury report with a left shoulder sprain.

The theme in the locker room was "finish."

That is clearly what coach Mike Singletary stressed to the team in his post-game remarks. Everybody talked about how the 49ers must find a way to finish. That's what was missing from their loss to the Vikings, and that's what they lacked today.

They finished and we didn't. you learn from every game.

"We just got to finish," Frank Gore said.

Said Josh Morgan, "We didn't finish. That's why we lost."

Michael Crabtree said, "We got to finish, man."

And Takeo Spikes added a twist on the "finish" thought.

"We're going to be searching for that one play to make it happen to get us to the next level," he said.

The one play that Shawntae Spencer wanted back was Reggie Wayne's 22-yard touchdown pass from running back Joseph Addai at the beginning of the fourth quarter. It was the only touchdown the 49ers allowed to the vaunted Colts offense.

"That was the one lapse of the game I had," Spencer said. "It was one of those things. He got me."

Spencer was covering Wayne. When Addai got the handoff, Spencer came up from his cornerback spot to play the run. Wayne was all alone in the end zone for the touchdown. After that play, Wayne went up to Spencer and told him that's the first time the Colts have used that play in Wayne's 9-year career.

Another big play was the excessive-celebration call on Josh Morgan in the end zone after Vernon Davis' touchdown that forced the 49ers to kick off from the 15-yard line with :33 remaining in the first half. That gave the Colts a head start, and they were able to kick a field goal before the end of the half.

"I don't think it was excessive," Morgan said. "We were celebrating. Every touchdown he's scored you can see me right there with him, celebrating."

Morgan was pretending to take pictures of Davis. The flag was thrown when Morgan went down on one knee. Said Singletary, "I don't understand why they'd call that (penalty)."

Alex Smith had an all-right game. He completed 19 of 32 passes for 198 yards with one touchdown and one interception. The interception was a pass intended for Crabtree that was too high. Crabtree got a hand on it to deflect it to Bob Sanders, who made the pick.

Crabtree caught a team-high six passes for 81 yards.

By the way . . . the 49ers ran the ball eight times on first downs today and gained 23 yards. Smith completed 7 of 15 passes for 76 yards on first downs, including one interception. He was also sacked twice on first downs.

in other news we have the same record as the panthers now
indifferent.gif

100PROOF wrote:
in other news we have the same record as the panthers now
indifferent.gif

damn what?!...oh well at least they beat those cards for us

btw down the stretch this is gonna be a dogfight between us and arizona...they play at chicago next and we got the titans...so hopefully we can be 4-4 and getthe division lead back cause we do have the tiebreaker...

we need to get some points on the board. they held the colts to 18 (amazing) and the offense just couldnt do it.

So its confirmed that the plays Alex called when his radio went out was the 2 minute drill right before halftime which generated the TD.
The undefeated Colts were across the line of scrimmage. The 49ers' best offensive lineman, Joe Staley, already was out of the game with a knee sprain. The noise of 66,229 hearty Hoosier throats, rested from an extra hour's sleep due to the time change, filled the air.

Just then, Smith's helmet radio went out.

Four years ago, he might have melted down under the circumstances. But this is not four years ago. Smith signaled to the bench that the radio was out, then he coolly went into the huddle and called his own play.

The pass to tight end Vernon Davis wasn't complete. But the incident - followed by a perfect two-minute drill at the end of the first half where Smith also called all his own plays and generated a touchdown - was indicative of how far Smith 2.0 has come.
Link

By the way . . . the 49ers ran the ball eight times on first downs today and gained 23 yards. Smith completed 7 of 15 passes for 76 yards on first downs, including one interception. He was also sacked twice on first downs.

I'll echo some of the same sentiments and say that we are not a power running team...singletary can preach it 24/7, but we simply dont havethe personnel for it
You ideally want to get 4-5 yards on 1st down, not 2-3...everything about our offense seems predictable
yesterday was tough....no rushing TD's, no peyton TD passes, and we still lose
mad.gif

That minnesotta lose hurts more with every passing week
frown.gif

Originally Posted by EZLN1

I'll echo some of the same sentiments and say that we are not a power running team...singletary can preach it 24/7, but we simply dont have the personnel for it
You ideally want to get 4-5 yards on 1st down, not 2-3...everything about our offense seems predictable
mad.gif

frown.gif

That's what I said in the other thread. We do not have the personnel to be a power running team. Until then we need to play to our strengths and right nowthat's spreading the field. If we do open up the passing game, our running game will open up. I just hope Sing isn't hard-headed..You can't forcethe team to be something they're not.

The 49ers sign former Lions CB Keith Smith and release WR Micheal Spurlock.

...dang, i was fan of spurlock. Just someone i'd hope get an opportunity. oh well.

Can't believe Staley and Clements are out for 6 weeks
sick.gif

I'm not so worried about NC22 because the Niners were already trying to decrease his role on this team and we have depth at that position, but we are thinas hell at a position we need to be big at.

I expect Boone to be called up from the PS, dude is raw as hell but has a big body.

ive had enough with the excuses on why we lose
i wanna see some wins, we need to close out games
and yes crabtree did hear those footsteps
i say this run on a first down then pass for the other two
also, i wanna see some more attempts on 4 and 1

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by EZLN1

I'll echo some of the same sentiments and say that we are not a power running team...singletary can preach it 24/7, but we simply dont have the personnel for it
mad.gif

frown.gif

That's what I said in the other thread. We do not have the personnel to be a power running team. Until then we need to play to our strengths and right now that's spreading the field. If we do open up the passing game, our running game will open up. I just hope Sing isn't hard-headed..You can't force the team to be something they're not.

[h2]http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers...spread-it-out-and-a-look-at-o-lines-play.html[/h2]
[h2]Why 49ers didn't spread it out, and a look at O-line's play[/h2]

When I asked Mike Singletary yesterday why the 49ers did not employ the shotgun/spread in the second half (other than third-and-long situations) after having success with it at the end of the first half, I did not fully understand his answer.

He spoke in vague terms about the coaches not having exposure to the players and Alex Smith not having exposure to the spread offense.

Then, I spoke to Smith about it, and I think I have a better idea of what Singletary meant.

The first thing Smith told me is that if a team plans to be running that kind of attack in situations that aren't a two-minute drill at the end of a half, the groundwork has to be laid for it in the offseason.

The 49ers' offseason vision for this offense under Jimmy Raye was going to be a power-running team behind a physical offensive line and running back Frank Gore. Out of those run formations, the 49ers wanted to get the ball into the hands of Vernon Davis. If Singletary wanted a spread-'em-out offense that throws the ball around the field, he would've retained Mike Martz as coordinator.

Raye and the coaches did not have a lot of "exposure" to Smith and Michael Crabtree, and Smith - in turn - did not have a lot of exposure to the "spread" during his offseason work when he was competing against Shaun Hill for the starting job.

As I understand it, the 49ers have their basic two-minute package that consists of three wide receivers, tight end Vernon Davis and running back Frank Gore. They run many of those plays out of the shotgun formation. But if they want to use that offense during the regular course of the game, they don't have the kind of variety with their play-calling and their adjustments to what the defense is doing. In other words, the 49ers might be able to have success in the short term, but then the defense quickly sees everything the 49ers have to offer and, maybe, there aren't enough adjustments to stay ahead of the curve.

I think that's what Singletary meant when he said he wondered aloud if it were wise to put Smith in that situation and whether he was ready for it.

This is also the reason why it's imperative that teams maintain continuity on offense. Raye's first priority in the offseason was to install the team's offense. The Colts, for instance, can do all kinds of complex things with their offense because offensive coordinator Tom Moore has been with the Colts since 1998 - Peyton Manning's first year in the league.
And there it is...

We have encountered a conundrum, we can't fire Raye this off-season because having our nth o-coordinator in n years is ridiculous and yet we can't keephim because, frankly he sucks.
what do you guys think we do?

Originally Posted by Troponin C

We have encountered a conundrum, we can't fire Raye this off-season because having our nth o-coordinator in n years is ridiculous and yet we can't keep him because, frankly he sucks.
Hire Norv Turner immediately after he's fired this offseason

Originally Posted by Bruce Waynee

Originally Posted by Troponin C

We have encountered a conundrum, we can't fire Raye this off-season because having our nth o-coordinator in n years is ridiculous and yet we can't keep him because, frankly he sucks.
Hire Norv Turner immediately after he's fired this offseason
IMO, we need to keep things as consistent as we can. Look at peyton manning, he's had the same o-coordinator since he was a rookie, and lookat how well he knows the offense now. If we keep things consistent for that long, we will see results, offensive success will be inevitable.

It's not that Raye sucks. It's that his whole offense is based around a strong running game. One we don't have the personnel for. After this seasonSing has a decision to make. Draft and sign players that will make us a power running team, or have Raye modify the offense to more of a passing offense. Idon't think it's that Raye can't spread the offense, it's that what Sing wanted the team to focus on in the offseason is running the ball. IfAlex can prove that he is the legit, then I don't see why Sing wouldn't want to throw the ball more.

Back
Top Bottom