Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

indifferent.gif
@ 92 starting a 49er game thread today.

all good, it got locked.

I just saw that, what a fool..

im glad the texans won today, i think it will be easier for the 49ers to catch them slippin now opposed to if they were 2-4 going into the game and it was morelike a must win for them.

Damn the wack @*% Panthers cant even lose?

I have faith in Hill but i think we all know he isnt going to lead us anywhere.

Wish we could get Vick or something
laugh.gif
.. i know i may get some stonefaces for that but i think he'd do a better job than Shaun Hill..

Hell i'd even be down with T-Jax

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

It's the Seachickens.

What's your point?

They won last week and on their way to win again this week.

The last thing we need is for them to finally get their offense going without Haley.

Originally Posted by Drizzyd

laugh.gif
.. i know i may get some stonefaces for that but i think he'd do a better job than Shaun Hill..

Hell i'd even be down wih T-Jax
18e266f44e92de70814d550804d310bfde7d89de.gif

laugh.gif

1fa359b1ec93bb1ba9d24a462ab46f11f7723d2.gif

You should be ashamed of yourself
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

what's the matter with you?
sick.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Damn Arizona looks like they're rolling again
mad.gif

HORRRRIBLE.
word...but just as long we beat them on monday night at home we'll be fine...just be undefeated in the division will help a lot

Eh, I'm not really worried about Arizona, mainly because I think our defense can stop their offense, so we should be good.

[h2]http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/10/crabtree-likely-to-start-sundays-game.html[/h2]
[h2]Crabtree likely to start Sunday's game[/h2]

There is a "strong possibility" rookie receiver Michael Crabtree will be in the starting lineup Sunday against the Houston Texans, 49ers coach Mike Singletary confirmed this afternoon.

Josh Morgan started the first five games for the 49ers at split end. But Morgan told The Press Democrat today he has been informed Crabtree and Isaac Bruce will be the 49ers' starting receivers on Sunday.

Furthermore, Morgan remained at the 49ers' practice facility over the bye week to personally help Crabtree learn the position - and, in essence, take his job. Crabtree was the No. 10 overall pick but finally signed a six-year contract with the 49ers on Oct. 7.

"I'm helping him learn my position and take my position," said Morgan, who ranks second on the 49ers behind Vernon Davis in receiving. Morgan has 13 catches for 202 yards and one touchdown. "It is what it is. If he can help us win, I'm all right with that.

"They gave him my spot. So if he's going to be in there, I might as well help him out so I can make sure he gets it right."

Morgan has also started getting some work on kickoff returns. Morgan said he would welcome that opportunity to return kickoffs and punts, in addition to his expected new role as the 49ers' No. 3 receiver.

Singletary made no mention of the possibility Crabtree would be in the starting lineup when he spoke to the media earlier in the day. But after Morgan made his comments, Singletary was seen in the locker room. When asked about Crabtree, he stopped just short of guaranteeing Crabtree has been promoted to a starting role.

Singletary said he and 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye have talked about Crabtree's immediate promotion to the starting lineup. Crabtree caught passes from backup quarterback Alex Smith on Thursday. He also spent time during the bye week learning as much of the offense as he could with teammates Morgan and running back Frank Gore.

Singletary said it is a strong possibility Crabtree will start, but he is a little hesitant about the message it would send to have Crabtree immediately surpass five receivers on the roster after missing 71 days in a contract stalemate. Singletary said he is also sensitive to how the move would affect Morgan's development.

I like morgan's attitude and company man statement but damn,for MC to come in and start in 2 weeks he better beast on sunday. Anybody else think they may be rushing things w/ crabtree?

i definitely feel theyre rushing crabtree. I understand he's had great practices, but that doesn't always translate to sundays. I dont know man...i getthat feeling that they are setting him up for failure, but I hope thats not the case.

...I feel so bad for morgan.

Dont feel bad for Morgan, hes going to take Bruces place eventually as hes been under performing and too old to be a #1

well if morgan can play the slot, we can just use crabtree as a decoy and run 3 wide on passing downs

eek.gif
when I heard the news today. I wholeheartedly trust Sing, but you cant tell me that starting a collegiate player with ONE WEEK of professional PRACTICEunder his belt, improves our offense.

I dont want to seem negative, but if Crabtree doesnt work out right away, not only could rush his development, but you are also stunting the development ofMorgan. I think if both WRs develop the way we hope, Crabtree/Morgan could be a great young duo for years. Starting Crabtree now, might hurt the chances ofthat happening.

Im rooting for him tho.....lets get it!!!

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

It doesn't matter who we have at WR if the line and Hill play like they did last week..
This seems to always be over looked
tired.gif

I dont know why.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Poole: Clements fails to meet lockdown hype[/h1]
By Monte Poole

Bay Area News Group

The 49ers and their fans are sweating the offense, wondering if Michael Crabtree can give it some juice, hoping coordinator Jimmy Raye will summon creativity from a mind more comfortable with basics.

Nate Clements, for one, ought to be thankful.

The curiosity about Crabtree, the obsession with fixing a stagnant running game and a deficient offensive line foster a climate that at least partially obscures the shortcomings of the cornerback who arrived in 2007 on a vessel of hype crafted from his sterling reputation and the staggering contract negotiated by his agent.

Clements' $80 million ($22 million guaranteed), eight-year deal - since adjusted to $64 million over seven years - made him at the time the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. His play through 36 games as a 49er has not measured up to his salary.

The latest example is Nate's previous game, Oct. 11 against Atlanta, when wide receiver Roddy White enjoyed a career day: eight catches, 210 yards, two touchdowns. As astounding as the overall numbers are, the most disturbing sequence for the 49ers, their fans and Clements was the way White finished his 90-yard touchdown. After catching a short pass in front of Clements, White spun out of a tackle and dashed away like a cheetah outrunning a bloodhound.

Any fine, instinctive 29-year-old cornerback who loses ground in a chase is counting the minutes until he becomes a safety.

White's performance

was reminiscent of Terrell Owens' masterpiece last November. Then with the Cowboys, T.O. roasted the Niners, mostly Clements, for seven catches, 213 yards and a touchdown.
There are the other instances in which Clements is shown in an unflattering light, such as San Francisco's Sept. 27 loss at Minnesota. The Vikings scored first when a 49ers blitz left Clements in coverage against wide receiver Sidney Rice. Brett Favre spotted the matchup and burned the blitz on a 30-yard hookup with Rice.

This is unbecoming of a cornerback whose Web site is "Lockdown22.com."

Yet it made sense for the 49ers to pursue and sign Clements. They had enough salary-cap space to hide a fleet of yachts, they needed a quality cornerback, and Clements was by all accounts the best available free agent.

The presumption was Clements would be the best cover corner in a San Francisco uniform since Deion Sanders' one-year mercenary mission in 1994.

But legitimate shutdown corners intimidate even the best quarterbacks, persuading them to do the smart thing and throw to the other side of the field.

There is nothing to indicate passers fear throwing toward Clements.

Which means the 49ers defense, while improving, still has a hole - especially when the pass rush is slowed. There is no shutdown corner, meaning the entire field is in play for the quarterback. The Falcons, with two weeks to prepare, saw that and exploited it.

It's reasonable to think Houston, which plays host to the 49ers on Sunday, will do the same. Texans coach Gary Kubiak is offensive-minded, Matt Schaub is a quality quarterback, and Andre Johnson is one of the five best wide receivers in the NFL.

If Clements were a true shutdown corner, defensive coordinator Greg Manusky could rely on him to contain Johnson, forcing Schaub to look elsewhere. It worked for the Jets, who in a 24-7 victory last month held Houston to 183 yards. Covered mostly by New York corner Darrelle Revis, Johnson was limited to four catches for 35 yards.

Revis the following week was primarily responsible for holding New England's Randy Moss to four catches for 24 yards in a 16-9 victory over the Patriots.

Thus is illustrated the value of a shutdown corner. Revis is a member of an elite fraternity, along with the Raiders' Nnamdi Asomugha, Denver's Champ Bailey and a few others.

Clements is beaten too often and too badly to be among them.

This is not about whether Nate is a good guy. He certainly seems to be, on and off the field. It's not about whether he's a good player, either. He is instinctive, dedicated and among the league's most physical corners, whether jamming a receiver or cutting down a runner. Any general manager in the NFL would be happy to have him.

The 49ers surely are happy Clements is on their roster. He's the best they have.

And it's a lot easier to cast him as such when fires are raging elsewhere, diverting attention toward the punchless running game and the leaky offensive line and the shiny new toy to be unveiled Sunday.

While I certainty don't think Clements has lived up to his contract, I did think he was having a solid season *untilthe Falcons game
laugh.gif

He's still a dependable CB and matches up well against Fitz and Q whenever we play AZ.

^^with that kinda money...i expected a champ bailey type of corner instead hes giving a mike rumph effort...well maybe not that bad but hey i expect a lot fromthis fool
mad.gif

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

^^with that kinda money...i expected a champ bailey type of corner instead hes giving a mike rumph effort...well maybe not that bad but hey i expect a lot from this fool
mad.gif
he was showing promise in the first 4 games of the season
ohwell.gif
Nate CLements make up your damn mind, if you're going to be an agressive/press coverage guy then do it full time, we don't need you to $%%%$%@ switchback & forth between press coverage and giving wr's 10 yd cushions.
IMO he gets lazy during games and that's why he gives up huge plays sometimes and plays stellar other times.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom