Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

Smith is named starter vs. colts.

NT23...where the party at man?
laugh.gif

im one of the 49er fans here who continued to bash smith...but honestly its whatever makes the team better im all for it...just as long i dont see thatstinkin' roll out he does im coo
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Alex Smith named starting QB.

The Cardinals are doing exactly what we didn't want them to do, get it going and now they have a cake %@% schedule in comparison to us.

I just want to see this team get better, they do this to us every year.

Point blank, our o-line is pure trash.

Our special teams needs help, I read that the Dolphins have been practicing Kory Sheets out in the returners role ... imagine if they find a gem there?

Anyways, lets just keep on hoping the Panthers lose and just improvement overall.

Much like the Giants in baseball, the 9ers were facing the same thing....due to mediocrity and losing, they had to OVER pay someone to entice them to come,which you now see in Clements.

Good corner, just slightly overpaid.

I'm rooting for Alex Smith. Personally, I think it's a good move.

I'll root for alex just like I did for shaun. I still hope he plays well enough for us not to waste a pick on a QB in the draft next year.

As for the cards we only have have 2 tough games left colts and eagles, we can catch them if we win the games we are supposed to win

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

I'll root for alex just like I did for shaun. I still hope he plays well enough for us not to waste a pick on a QB in the draft next year.

As for the cards we only have have 2 tough games left colts and eagles, we can catch them if we win the games we are supposed to win

Originally Posted by offbad

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Much like the Giants in baseball, the 9ers were facing the same thing....due to mediocrity and losing, they had to OVER pay someone to entice them to come, which you now see in Clements.

Good corner, just slightly overpaid.
^QFT

I wish Smith the best I hope he plays well.

I think Alex will start out hot and then eventually end up back to the Alex we all know. I really hope I'm wrong though. I don't know what Hill'sproblems is, but he has shown that he doesn't want to win. The O-line doesn't help any either.

Like I said in the game thread, I am simply sick and tired of having to see us change QB's in the middle of the season every *$%%+!@ year. We need someconsistency. I am going to support smith as long as he is under center. But the organization needs to make a commitment to stay behind alex 100% no matterwhat, we can't switch QB's every single year, it's getting really old.

word...no matter how critical we have been with alex myself included...we have to support the guy...he is our starting QB...i trust singletary and he knowswhats good for the team

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

word...no matter how critical we have been with alex myself included...we have to support the guy...he is our starting QB...i trust singletary and he knows whats good for the team
im not a alex smith fan. However, i hope he does well for us.
we need to protect him.

i noticed in the texans game he looked a lot more confident, maybe he has matured a lot

i'm def rootin for alex, all those expectations are now somewhat gone though, so maybe now since he has nothing to lose he'll go out and perform.

i think he can be solid, but we just have to let the games speak for itself. hopefully we'll see him repeat that performance last sunday over a span ofseveral games.

ummm.. Go Colts!

But i'm actually looking forward to this weeks game because I actually like the 49ers, big Frank Gore fan.. and am pretty interested to see how Alex Smithdoes..

But at the end of the day its always.. Go Colts!

Originally Posted by obie21

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

word...no matter how critical we have been with alex myself included...we have to support the guy...he is our starting QB...i trust singletary and he knows whats good for the team
im not a alex smith fan. However, i hope he does well for us.
we need to protect him.

i noticed in the texans game he looked a lot more confident, maybe he has matured a lot

man i hope this is the case...

Pathos is out for the season

Synder moves back to RT and Chilo/Barry Simms will split time @ guard.

We have to get our running game going against the Colts. Indy's still vunerable to the run game and with the way our secondary has been playing; it wouldsuit us well if we could control the TOP.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/10/niners-eying-fo.html
Niners eying four WRs for future

The 49ers are a team that likes to run the ball and yet has seven wide receivers on its active roster - three of whom were inactive in Houston. But the team is eying only four of those receivers to be the core group for the future.

The No. 1 guy is obvious. When you use a No. 10 draft pick on a receiver, it's clear you envision that receiver as your top option for many years to come. Michael Crabtree solidified that status by starting Sunday's game in Houston and playing more snaps than his receiver mates. Crabtree's debut came late, but it was a promising opening act in what the 49ers hope is a long performance.

Who will play opposite Crabtree in the future? The crystal-ball look at the No. 2 receiver is a little fuzzier. It could be one of three players, Brandon Jones, Josh Morgan and Jason Hill. Right now Jones and Hill are in the same boat. Both fell to the bottom of the team's depth chart due to injuries this offseason and both have had a tough time climbing back because A.) The 49ers don't have a lot of use for receivers and B.) There is a certain reverence on the coaching staff for Isaac Bruce.

Jones, signed through 2013, is the best deep threat on the team, something he showed in the offseason. Jimmy Raye's offense needs a deep threat in order to tick. He had them in Kansas City when, in 2000, Derrick Alexander averaged nearly 18 yards a catch and had 10 touchdowns. You'll recall that in 2007 then-Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan confided to Mike Nolan that the Ravens were worried about Ashley Lelie's speed at receiver. That is, nothing gives defenses pause like a deep threat. Jones also seemed to have a nice rapport with Alex Smith before Jones broke his shoulder in early August. If Smith rises to the occasion and becomes the quarterback of the future, a Smith-Jones pairing would seem to make sense. Finally, Jones was signed to a hefty free-agent contract in March, which ought to provide more pressure to get him on the field in the future.

Hill is signed through 2010. He was a third-round pick in 2007 who had a hard time getting on the playing field early in his career despite no standouts - Darrell Jackson, Lelie, Brian Gilmore - ahead of him on the depth chart. Injuries finally gave Hill an opportunity late last season, and he made the most of it, finishing with 30 receptions in the last nine games. Hill thought he had proven himself to the coaching staff, but when he was slowed by hamstring issues in the preseason, he fell to the bottom of the depth chart again. Indeed, staying healthy next spring and summer will be pivotal for Hill, who will be playing in his contract season. Hill is perhaps the most versatile of the group of four, but he was particularly effective playing the slot last season.

It would seem that Morgan, signed through 2011, has the edge to be the No. 2 receiver, considering he has started every game this season. Morgan easily can slide over to Bruce's spot, flanker, and he has a nice combination of size and speed. Morgan is the strongest of all the team's wideouts, a real asset on a power-running team. But Morgan has been inconsistent and the 49ers are not convinced he will ultimately be the best option next to Crabtree. They will continue to allow him to develop this season and the hope, ironically, is that Crabtree's tenacity will wear off on Morgan, who is a year ahead of him. Perhaps the best thing that Morgan has going for him - he has withstood the ticky tacky pulls and sprains that have slowed the development of other young players.

As for the other three receivers, Bruce is entering the final year of a two-year deal and likely will not be asked back. Arnaz Battle also is reaching the end of his deal. There might be a push from the coaching staff to keep him around, but there are other teams that might want him more. Micheal Spurlock's role on the team has been minimal after Jimmy Raye put the "Taser" back in its holster. Spurlock would appear to be in a precarious spot if the team makes a roster move.

Cant argue w/ this article - crabs, morgan, jones and hill sounds pretty good next year add in davis & gore...

[h1]Niners lock up cornerback Tarell Brown[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2009 3:31 PM ET
The San Francisco 49ers gave a bunch of money several weeks ago to get rookie receiver Michael Crabtree under contract.

They've now spent considerably less to lock up one of their defensive backs.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the 49ers have inked cornerback Tarell Brown to a three-year, $7.125 million contract. The deal includes a $2.5 million signing bonus, and it will pay Brown $800,000 in 2011, $850,000 in 2012, and $925,000 in 2013.

Brown, a fifth-round draft pick from Texas in 2007, has been under contract through 2010 at base salaries of $460,000 this year and $550,000 next season.

In two-plus seasons, he has appeared in 30 games, with one start.

modbee_logo_330.jpg

Print This Article

Posted on Thu, Oct. 29, 2009
[h1]49ers to emphasize passing[/h1] [h2]The Associated Press[/h2]
last updated: October 29, 2009 10:43:59 PM

SANTA CLARA - Circumstances and personnel are leading the struggling San Francisco 49ers to change their offensive approach.

Proclaiming to be a power-rushing team from the start this season, the 49ers could be going airborne more often now that quarterback Alex Smith and rookie wide receiver Michael Crabtree have joined the huddle.

Smith sparked a second-half comeback with three touchdown passes and Crabtree made an impressive NFL debut with five receptions last week during a 24-21 loss to the Houston Texans that dropped the 49ers to 3-3 and out of first place in the NFC West for the first time this season.

Offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said Thursday that the 49ers won't change their philosophy despite a two-game losing streak and an offense that ranks 29th in the NFL. But the team will adjust its attack and gameplan to better take advantage of its passing weapons.

"We're not going to be stubborn and try to jam a square peg into a round hole," Raye said. "What we are striving to do all along is to create balance. I think (more passing) is an apt description of where we would like to go with the changes that we've made."

Smith entered last week's game at halftime in place of Shaun Hill, who led the 49ers to a 3-1 start but produced just 10 points in his next six quarters of action before the 49ers turned to their second option.

Playing for the first time in almost two years, Smith completed 15 of 22 passes for 206 yards to rally San Francisco from a 21-0 halftime deficit. The former No. 1 overall draft pick connected with tight end Vernon Davis on touchdown passes of 29, 14 and 23 yards.

Smith adds a new dimension to the offense, giving the 49ers an ability to go downfield with their passing game that wasn't there with Hill at the controls.

"If I can bring anything extra to the table, and I guess I might, then all the better," Smith said. "We have to be able to throw the ball, but in the end you have to be balanced and able to do everything. But I think we have a big opportunity in front of us with the guys that we have in this huddle."

Davis has emerged as the 49ers' top target with 29 catches and leads the NFL with six touchdown receptions. With Houston forced to give more attention to Crabtree and San Francisco's wideouts, the Texans tried to cover Davis with a linebacker and he was free to roam over the middle and create big plays.

The 49ers also have productive receiving weapons in veteran Isaac Bruce and youngster Josh Morgan.

The 49ers suddenly have the potential for a quick-strike offense built around first-round talents such as Smith, Davis and Crabtree - all players who were among the first 10 selections in the years they were drafted.

"I think we have the full package," Crabtree said. "We have the talent to be whatever we want to be. We just need to put things together and go out and execute."

This article is protected by copyright and should not be printed or distributed for anything except personal use.
Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2009, The Modesto Bee, 1325 H St., Modesto, CA 95354
Phone: (209) 578-2000.

Back
Top Bottom