Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Is Santa Clara like San Francisco county or something???

I dont know how other states are........but anything within a 30 minute drive here in saint Louis has its own city name........but is Saint Louis County.

Like.....A city is Jennings, MO But Jennings is in Saint Louis county.

Or is Santa Clara its own city and has its own counties??/

yea santa clara is a city, and there's a county called santa clara county (pretty much most of silicon valley is in it).
it's basically in the southern part of the bay area. SF is up north.

^^
The cities of santa clara, san jose, milpitas, fremont, etc are all located in Santa Clara County. Kinda like how the city of Los Angeles is located in LosAngeles County.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

since im not from up north.

how far is san fran from santa clara?
goin down 101 should be nearly an hour. 45 if you're lucky i'd say.

Santa Clara is not an hour away from SF
laugh.gif
. Only if you have traffic.

40 mins on a normal day.

Im glad San Francisco is losing the team. The city has done NOTHING but turn their back on the 49ers and they deserve to lose the team. The 49ers will remainthe "San Francisco 49ers" if they move to Santa Clara.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PLEASE DONT MOVE THE NINERS TO SANTA CLARA! THEY BELONG IN S.F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eyes.gif

You do realize that many teams dont play in the cities that bear their team's name.
The NY Jets/Giants play in New Jersey
The Oakland Raiders play in Alameda
The Dallas Cowboys play in Fort Worth

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

^^
The cities of santa clara, san jose, milpitas, fremont, etc are all located in Santa Clara County. Kinda like how the city of Los Angeles is located in Los Angeles County.

wrong...fremonts in the alameda county

its okay for me cause im closer to santa clara than sf...237 FTW!

bright nikes wrote:
since im not from up north.

how far is san fran from santa clara?
like 40 mins away

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

PLEASE DONT MOVE THE NINERS TO SANTA CLARA! THEY BELONG IN S.F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eyes.gif

You do realize that many teams dont play in the cities that bear their team's name.
Um, the Raiders do play in Oakland. Oakland is in Alameda county, but the stadium is in the city of Oakland.

eyes.gif

oakland plays in oakland
indifferent.gif

dallas played in irving, and it's now going to be arlington
indifferent.gif

to sum it up:
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by offbad

eyes.gif

oakland plays in oakland
indifferent.gif

dallas played in irving, and it's now going to be arlington
indifferent.gif

to sum it up:
indifferent.gif

lol

Santa Clara is a very nice place guys, most parts at least. Ive lived in San Jose my whole life and romed around santa clara for along time. As much as Id lovefor the 9ers to stay in SF, I think having their new stadium in SC would generate alot of revenue. Its in between SJ and SF so both cities wont have to travelto far to attend the games.. More San Jose residents will feel like they dont have to drive all the way to the city to see a 9er game. I think its a good ideaoverall, hopefully it pans out.

eyes.gif

i dont care about those teams

eyes.gif

indifferent.gif

Everyone is thinking it. I guess I will be the one who says it. I really wish you weren't a Niner fan.

eyes.gif

i dont care about those teams
Raiders play in Oakland.... Not Alameda...

49ers move quickly to gather stadium supporters 06.04.09
Jamie Williams: Former 49er at Academy of Art 06.04.09
Santa Clara Council OKs 49ers stadium deal 06.03.09
But San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom has some advice for the voters in the South Bay city, who will have to agree: Don't do it.

Instead of using nearly $80 million in city funds on a 68,500-seat stadium that will host only a handful of football games each year, Santa Clara should instead spend the money on other city needs like schools, Newsom said.

"That's a lot of money to spend on a team that won't even change its name," Newsom told The Chronicle's editorial board Monday morning.

Newsom, who wants a new 49ers stadium in San Francisco as the centerpiece of a redeveloped Hunters Point Shipyard and surrounding neighborhood, said he has thought about suing over use of the city's name if the team moves two counties away.

"What can I do? I can sue them. I can browbeat them," Newsom said. "I'd love to keep them, but we can't sell our soul."

The indecision that surrounds the 49ers' future home has left San Francisco in an "untenable position," the mayor said, in part because the city would prefer to start building a new neighborhood at the shipyard - even if that development doesn't include a stadium as originally proposed.

"I want to rebuild this area, and if they're there for eight more years, we can't do that. That's what makes this even more frustrating," Newsom said.

Some Santa Clara officials and a 49ers spokesman brushed off Newsom's comments, saying the stadium plan would benefit the city.

The council could agree as early as tonight to back the proposal. That would clear the way for voters to decide in March whether to spend about $79 million on the project. Most of the money would be redevelopment funds that can be spent on only a limited number of projects. Separately, $35 million would come from a new tax on hotel guests. The rest of the money would come from the team.

Santa Clara would own the stadium, which would be built on a city-owned parking lot that is now leased to the Great America amusement park and is next to the team's headquarters. The Niners hope to have a new stadium in time for the 2014 football season.

$1 million base rent

The team would pay the city an average of $1 million a year in base rent for 40 years, plus millions more from a cut of stadium revenue. Over the course of the 40-year lease, the team anticipates paying $196 million in rent. The lease includes options to extend it for up to 20 more years.

The use of about $40 million in redevelopment funds also triggers a separate provision that will steer $141 million in tax proceeds over more than 10 years directly to the Santa Clara Unified School District, team officials said, although city leaders have cautioned that amount would likely change.

The deal has earned the backing of City Manager Jennifer Sparacino and her staff, who negotiated it with the team.

Councilman Kevin Moore, a driving force behind the effort to move the 49ers, said he is optimistic the City Council will vote tonight to back the proposal.

The team sees a lack of transportation infrastructure at Hunters Point as a major drawback.

While Newsom said it had been a welcome change dealing more directly with team President Jed York, rather than his father, John York, the team keeps "raising the bar of concerns."

"They're finding ways to say no," Newsom said. "Now it's about transportation infrastructure. They're putting us in an untenable position."

Candlestick maintenance

Newsom said that while the team is trying to move, the Niners are also pushing for more than $60 million from the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department's budget to fix Candlestick Park. The team argues that such maintenance is long overdue and required under the lease; Newsom said it wouldn't make sense to invest in a stadium that might soon be razed. The team's lease expires in 2013 with options through 2023.

Team spokeswoman Lisa Lang disputed that the Santa Clara proposal would be bad for residents there, pointing to Sparacino's endorsement.

"Who do you want to believe: the city manager who has successfully managed Santa Clara for 20 years or the mayor of another city that has a vested interest?" Lang said.

She also questioned any idea to sue over the team's name if it moved, saying keeping the name generates publicity for San Francisco. The city of Anaheim unsuccessfully sued the Angels to try get the baseball team to keep its name as the Anaheim Angels after it changed it to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 2005.

"Other mayors," Lang said, "have looked at this very differently."

Stadium hearing

The Santa Clara City Council meets at 7 tonight to discuss the San Francisco 49ers stadium deal in the City Council chambers, 1500 Warburton Ave., Santa Clara.

my dude Newsom playing hardball
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

If you're a 49er fan theres no way you can like Newsom because of how he's dealt with the 49ers situation. Dude is one of the reasons the 49ers had tolook elsewhere. Santa Clara
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom