Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

yeah, walt harris was at the end of his career - he lost more than a step last season.

we got young kids that have a lot to prove, and solid vets still available FA.

wow, walt blew his knee? they said it wasnt that serious...

well, i have/had high hopes for t.brown, so i hope he comes through in the clutch.

would be nice if walt teaches these youngin' the ropes.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

eh, could be a blessing in disguise.

it sucks to lose a vet like that, who gets the nod? t. brown?

a lot of FAs out there the niners could sign.

it'll be alright.
Not happy about losing Walt, but I am happy it happened now so they got plenty of time to find his replacement.

[h5]May 20, 2009[/h5]
OTA observations; options at cornerback

Obviously the big news on Day Three of OTAs was Walt Harris' ACL tear, which will probably knock him out for the 2009 season. The 49ers seem content right now to allow Tarell Brown and Shawntae Spencer to move up in the pecking order but they also likely will bring in a few free-agent cornerbacks for workouts in coming weeks. One of the best of the bunch available is Roderick Hood, who is a six-year veteran of the Eagles and Cardinals. The 49ers have not yet inquired about Hood, according to Hood's agent.

Maybe it was because his idol - Jerry Rice - was watching from the sideline or maybe it was because he's one of the last receivers still practicing, but Josh Morgan had another prolific afternoon today. In fact, you might say that Morgan has been the offensive star of the team's OTAs this week. He caught deep passes on Monday and Tuesday, and today showed that he could catch a ball in traffic when he outwrestled inside linebacker Mark Washington for a short pass over the middle. Rice, in town to shoot an ESPN show called "Homecoming," spoke to Morgan and his teammates for 12 minutes after practice.

Another receiver who looked good today was tight end Vernon Davis, who seems to be a bit slimmer (read: less muscle-bound) this season. On three occasions, Davis leapt with his arms stretched high to bring down a pass. On one of those catches, Davis was inadvertently knocked down from behind by Washington. This is supposed to be a non-contact practice (tell that to Dominique Zeigler) and the collision was one that Davis, no stranger to practice fisticuffs, might have taken exception to in the past. This time, Davis merely popped back up and continued running down the field with the ball.

Two of those high passes to Davis were thrown by Alex Smith. He has noticeably more zip on his throws than in previous sessions, but a lot of them have been sailing a bit. No doubt this is one of the side effects of regaining your arm strength. All in all, this has to be considered a positive OTA session for a guy who has had two shoulder surgeries in the last two years.

Perhaps the prettiest throw of the day came from Shaun Hill, who launched a perfect touch-pass rainbow down the right sideline to Michael Robinson, who caught it in stride. Hill celebrated the pass with a huge fist pump.

Davis out leaped Dashon Goldson for one of his receptions. On the next play, however, Goldson stepped in front of the receiver for his second INT in as many days. Again, this is precisely what the 49ers, who had ZERO interceptions from their safeties a year ago, are hoping for from Goldson in the regular season. ... Goldson also appears to be one of three defenders who could wear the radio receiver for the 49ers this season. The other candidates are Michael Lewis and Patrick Willis. So far this spring none of those guys have experimented with the receiver although all three had a chance to wear it last offseason.

Jeff Ulbrich was excused from today's session. He was replaced by rookie Scott McKillop and first-year linebacker Justin Roland.... Zeigler, Lewis, Arnaz Battle (foot), Michael Crabtree (foot), Jason Hill (ankle) and Kentwan Balmer (knee) observed today's practice. Zeigler suffered a concussion in yesterday's non-contact practice. None of those guys will practice in tomorrow's OTA finale ... Crabtree says he is able to do everything that his teammates are doing as far as the weight-room regimen. The only thing he is not doing is running. He said he plans to be running again by the start of training camp, which likely will be July 30, although the date has not yet been settled.
-- Matt Barrows

The 49ers are wasting no time in targeting a replacement for injured Walt Harris, as the club is scheduled to meet Thursday with veteran free-agent cornerback Dre' Bly, a league source said.

The 49ers had no immediate comment on their interest in Bly.

Harris is likely to miss the season after sustaining a torn anterior-cruciate ligament in his right knee during organized team activities on Tuesday. The club announced today Harris would require surgery.

Bly, 32, a 10-year NFL veteran, played 2007 and '08 with the Broncos. The club released him in February during a purge of the defense after the arrivals of new coach Josh McDaniels and defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

Prior to joining the Broncos in a trade, Bly played four seasons with the Lions. He has been one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the league ($6.5 million average salary the past six seasons) after leaving the Rams as a free agent in 2003. Bly entered the league as a second-round pick of the Rams in 1999.

Bly has played every game -- and 97 percent of his teams' defensive snaps -- the past three seasons. In his career, he has been selected to two Pro Bowls while recording 40 interceptions and forcing 17 fumbles.

If the 49ers sign Bly, he would be expected to compete against Tarell Brown and Shawntae Spencer for the starting job opposite Nate Clements.

I havent been following Bly,but i remember dude coming up big for the lions. Is he the same player still?

who else is a FA? ty law?mcalister?

PACMAN?
laugh.gif

Should we do a season thread this year?

Btw, I don't wanna do it cause I'm too lazy - my vote goes for Dland
wink.gif
I think game by game is better..

and
indifferent.gif
to the bold part..no offense to dland..

hahaha jk...

wink.gif
of course we should make a season thread, i would let NT23 make it

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

wink.gif

Did I ever tell you that you were my favorite?

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

wink.gif

Did I ever tell you that you were my favorite?
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Rod Hood is a FA. He's a better suited nickel, but he played well for Arizona.

Sheldon Brown for V. Davis??
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by krey1231

Rod Hood is a FA. He's a better suited nickel, but he played well for Arizona.

Sheldon Brown for V. Davis??
laugh.gif

V. Davis and his blocking are an important piece of our offense since we're going to be a run 1st team.

Dre Bly was one of my favorite CB`s a few years ago........i think he kept getting burned in denver and they let him go.....i lost touch with him after that.

Would be better than anyone we have right now, they should sign him.........id buy the jersey

bly doesn't play man-man well. he excelled in cover2 (with STL) and that led to a huge payday. word to deangelo hall

Originally Posted by vietsta4o8

Prev 1 of 7 Next

capt.9e5d558ab033486c99af4279ee5db58a.49ers_practice_football_caps104.jpg

AP
2009-05-19

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Jason Hill(notes) (89) and wide receiver Michael Crabtree(notes) (15), the 49ers top draft pick, chat during NFL football practice at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., Tuesday, May 19, 2009.

Prev 2 of 7 Next

capt.c8c96aa4f0454f3f9fe7458448a046ae.49ers_practice_football_caps103.jpg

AP
2009-05-19

San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree(notes) (15), and 49ers top draft pick, laughs during NFL football practice at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., Tuesday, May 19, 2009.

rev 3 of 7 Next
capt.752fce2b53bf4f54bde129e8fbb5cf2c.49ers_practice_football_caps110.jpg

AP
2009-05-19

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith (11) passes as running back Frank Gore(notes) (21) watches during NFL football practice at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., Tuesday, May 19, 2009.

Prev 4 of 7 Next

capt.3012f3a851e043dcbdbc473b169b047f.49ers_practice_football_caps106.jpg

AP
2009-05-19

San Francisco 49ers running back Frank Gore(notes) (21) runs during NFL football practice at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., Tuesday, May 19, 2009.

Prev 5 of 7 Next

capt.d29bd1aff8ca4dd4aefdb34d6693d74b.49ers_practice_football_caps105.jpg

AP
2009-05-19

San Francisco 49ers running back Frank Gore(notes) (21) runs during NFL football practice at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., Tuesday, May 19, 2009.

Prev 6 of 7 Next

capt.b960d9a606604d9e8652fb7cb42107eb.49ers_practice_football_caps111.jpg

AP
2009-05-19

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Shaun Hill(notes) (13) passes during NFL football practice at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., Tuesday, May 19, 2009.

Prev 7 of 7 Next

capt.a5155fd625dd40dc9b6633b910135b25.49ers_practice_football_caps108.jpg

AP
2009-05-19

San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Singletary jogs around the field during NFL football practice at 49ers headquarters in Santa Clara, Calif., Tuesday, May 19, 2009.
  • lookin good in the new unis
  • Next on the agenda is to actually play like the teams that once donned those very same uniforms.
pimp.gif

wink.gif

and
indifferent.gif

hahaha jk...

None taken. I dont know if Bright was any more than half serious when he said that anyways. Its all yours my friend......and sorry about the lottery.

IMO Bly would be a decent pick up. Pretty much even with last years stats. I look at it like this, Walt = outs of his career & Bly = seasoned vet with acouple years still left in him barring injury

Originally Posted by dland24

wink.gif

and
indifferent.gif

hahaha jk...

None taken. I dont know if Bright was any more than half serious when he said that anyways. Its all yours my friend......and sorry about the lottery.
lol check the last part of my quote
wink.gif
...anyway as for thelottery, I knew it would happen. We're the Kings and luck is never on our side. Jennings it is.

[h2]49ers sign Bly[/h2]
Posted by Dan Brown on May 21st, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

The 49ers moved quickly on cornerback Dre Bly, signing the veteran to a one-year contract.

General Manager Scot McCloughan said:

"We lost a Pro Bowl caliber player in Walt Harris this week, and we were able to fill that void today with another Pro Bowler in Dré Bly. We added a player with a passion for the game, tremendous productivity and proven durability who knows what it takes to compete at a high level in the NFL. It was important to get Dré in here quickly so that he can get acquainted with our system, our coaches and his new teammates."

More details to come. Check back for updates.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

[h2]49ers sign Bly[/h2]
Posted by Dan Brown on May 21st, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

The 49ers moved quickly on cornerback Dre Bly, signing the veteran to a one-year contract.

General Manager Scot McCloughan said:

"We lost a Pro Bowl caliber player in Walt Harris this week, and we were able to fill that void today with another Pro Bowler in Dré Bly. We added a player with a passion for the game, tremendous productivity and proven durability who knows what it takes to compete at a high level in the NFL. It was important to get Dré in here quickly so that he can get acquainted with our system, our coaches and his new teammates."

More details to come. Check back for updates.

good pickup, but we need a safety
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
that was quick as hell though.

he must have impressed singletary, or the niners were desperate.

im with it though!

Back
Top Bottom