Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by acidicality

I don't like Alex Smith either, but if he can win the job and clearly prove to outperform Shaun Hill during training camp/preseason, I'd love to give him a shot, especially since Nolan is gone now. If he can revert and start building on what he showed when Norv Turner was here, he might still have a chance (to be a very solid starter)

The problem with Alex Smith is he came into the league with poor mechanics.
At one point he had improved on his mechanics, but not nearly to the point
where he could be an accurate passer in this league. His mechanics caused
a lot of passes to sail over receivers, even on shorter throws. We'll see what
he can do, healthy and without Nolan, but I wouldn't hold my breath honestly.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

9c9871f9f8d3f461c5ad20f0e674c3b1-getty-86280687jj012_san_francisco.jpg
michael-vick.jpg

nerd.gif

^
laugh.gif

The 49ers' minicamp concluded today, and I can't even begin to say which quarterback is in the lead for the starting job. (But you would think Shaun Hill began with a significant edge, based on how he played last season after Mike Singletary elevated him to the starting lineup.)
Based on what I witnessed the past two days, both Hill and Alex Smith had a mixture of good and not-so-good moments.
Basically, it's what you'd expect at this time of year. And it's what you'd expect when quarterbacks are surrounded by a lot of players who are taking a crash course in the offense.

For instance . . .

Alex Smith threw low to Josh Morgan on a simple comeback. But the next play, he put it on the money to Morgan on an intermediate post pattern. (By the way, Morgan looks really, really good.)

A little while later, Smith tried to rifle a checkdown pass from a short distance. Linebacker Justin Roland broke up the pass. Smith later hit Dominique Zeigler on a crossing pattern and made a nice thrown to Bear Pascoe on an out.

Shaun Hill hit Pascoe across the middle against the coverage of Reggie Smith. Then, he threw high and wide to receiver Micheal Spurlock at the sideline. After that, Hill was generally on target with his throws, hitting Morgan on a deep out against safety Dashon Goldson. Spurlock made a nice grab at the sideline against Reggie Smith.

With the wind, Hill threw a wobbly pass deep for Jason Hill, who had gotten a steps behind Marcus Hudson. The throw was not pretty, but it was on the money - about 45 yards down the middle of the field.

Rookie Nate Davis, recovered from his hamstring cramps of Friday, showed some nice zip on his passes. Niners outside linebacker Jay Moore made an incredible play when coming off the left side he jumped in the air to intercept Davis' pass at point-blank range.

Davishit a wide-open Spurlock in the middle of the field. He rifled a pass to Dobson Collins that Reggie Smith broke up nicely. He threw slightly behind Zeigler, who reached back to make the catch across the middle.

That's a wrap from the 49ers' minicamp. The rookies will disperse Sunday to their respective parts of the country.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/022009.html
P.M. practice: Pascoe impresses

Rookie quarterback Nate Davis took his first 11-on-11 snaps as a 49er. His first official pass - a quick screen to Zak Keasey - was forgettable. Davis missed his target by a healthy margin. But he also had a couple of completions over the middle to Michael Spurlock and Dominique Zeigler that showed off his impressive arm strength.

Speaking of strong arms ... Shaun Hill had the longest play of the afternoon, a 50 yarder to Jason Hill, which the receiver caught in stride. Shaun Hill also connected with Josh Morgan on a good-looking crossing route and hit Spurlock on a sideline pattern.

The most prolific receiver? How about rookie tight end Bear Pascoe, who caught everything - about half a dozen passes - that was thrown his way. Look out, Vernon Davis ...

The rookie minicamp continues through tomorrow, but there will be no practices, just meetings. There also will be no media availability, but don't worry, I have more in my notebook for later this week ...
-- Matt Barrows

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Some pics:
4f4eded8871f60622786727adba1d49e-getty-86280687jj035_san_francisco.jpg
pimp.gif

Seeing the players back on the field gives me goosebumps.

wsup my niner fans bright, NT, ady and such...we really really lucked out with crabtree im glad we got him
pimp.gif
...coffee is gonna be decent...overall im happy with the draft and i hope we canmove forward from here with singletary as a full season coach
pimp.gif

on a side note...seeing alex smith back with a niner helmet and jersey on the field gives me goosebumps too
sick.gif
...im done with this guy...idk why we have him still on our roster

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Some pics:
pimp.gif

wsup my niner fans bright, NT, ady and such...we really really lucked out with crabtree im glad we got him
pimp.gif
...coffee is gonna be decent...overall im happy with the draft and i hope we can move forward from here with singletary as a full season coach
pimp.gif

on a side note...seeing alex smith back with a niner helmet and jersey on the field gives me goosebumps too
sick.gif

Hey you didnt capitalize your "L"s haha, welcome back.

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Some pics:
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
...coffee is gonna be decent...overall im happy with the draft and i hope we can move forward from here with singletary as a full season coach
pimp.gif

sick.gif

roll.gif
i stopped doing that after i got tired of ppl asking me why i didthat...but maybe someday i'll bring the L back
laugh.gif

eek.gif
caLi

welcome back fam, now all we need is an appearence from dfresh
nerd.gif
i know youre lurkin

eek.gif
caLi

welcome back fam, now all we need is an appearence from dfresh
nerd.gif
i know youre lurkin
thanks man...its been a minute...its good to be back...so wsup man our draft picks look good for the niners and the Lakers are 0-1
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Some pics:
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

sick.gif

roll.gif
i stopped doing that after i got tired of ppl asking me why i did that...but maybe someday i'll bring the L back
laugh.gif

eek.gif
I knew it was you
roll.gif

Please dont bring those L's back

wb caLi

The big competition of the 49ers' offseason is taking place at quarterback - just as it did a year ago. In fact, it was the only head-to-head comparison going on during the 49ers' recently completed minicamp.
The quarterbacks were among the few veterans taking part in this minicamp, which was designed to get the rookies up to speed so they don't slow things down too much when the entire team is on the same field for the first time together in June.

Once the full squad begins working out - or training camp begins - there will be competitions along the defensive line and at the wide-receiver spots. Everyone will be watching Michael Crabtree's quest to earn a starting job when he takes part in full practices during training camp.

But the quarterback competition is already taking place - mostly behind the scenes. Alex Smith and Shaun Hill are engaged in a daily struggle for the job. This is significant because the 49ers are not a bad team. There are fewer question marks with the 49ers' roster than at any time in the last seven or eight years.

But the one unknown - as it has been every season since Jeff Garcia left - is the quarterback position. As I recall, the only year during that time when there was legitimate optimism about the 49ers' quarterback play was heading into the 2007 season.

Smith was coming off a promising 2006 year - promising because of how much improvement he showed from his rookie season. And it was only reasonable to expect him to continue to get better.

And that brings me to a point I'd like to make about Mr. Smith. There have been a lot of reasons given and theories about why heads into his fifth NFL season in competition for the 49ers' starting job. You know the reasons: Four offensive coordinators in four years; Mike Nolan mishandled him; bad supporting cast; he's not a leader; etc.

None are legitimate reasons. They are all excuses, and they are completely irrelevant reasons for why Smith has failed to progress since his second season in the league.

You might be of the opinion Smith can be a good or great quarterback. You might be of the opinion Smith is a bust and he'll never be anything other than a career NFL backup, at best.

But there is no way anybody can objectively evaluate a young player (Smith turns 25 on Thursday) who hasn't played for nearly two full seasons. If Alex Smith were a bust, we wouldn't even know it yet.

Of the 49ers' past 32 games, Smith has missed 26 due to injuries to his throwing shoulder. Moreover, three of the six games in which Smith appeared he played with a separated shoulder. Anybody could tell he was in excruciating pain every time he was asked to throw the ball.

There might be those that say this is just an excuse. The injuries are not excuses why Smith has not produced the past two seasons; the injuries are facts.

Like most, I question just how effective Alex Smith would have been had he remained healthy. That is an entirely different argument. We will never know how Smith would have played in 2007 and '08 if he had not been injured. You can't play well (or poorly), if you don't play.

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and read Lowell Cohn's interview with Alex Smith at the Cohn Zohn. Alex says he is taking a different mental approach. In the past, "I worried about things that were external and let them affect me, affect my mind, affect my attitude which in turn affected my play and performance," Smith told Lowell.

"And really I came to the conclusion - this is honest, I'm not BSing - that stuff kind of is what it is and I'm not going to let it affect me. I'll control what I can control."

The general consensus - and I'm sorry I can't come up with anything more fresh -- is Smith has the bigger "upside" (because of his physical skills) and Hill's biggest strength is the "it" factor (apparent in his 7-3 record as a starter).

Smith, at times, gives the appearance that he wants what Hill seemingly possesses: that intangible quality, that unspoken confidence. It's the "it" factor that inspired Hill to tell coach Mike Singletary he would be making a huge mistake if he benched him in the third quarter of the game last season against the Rams.

Singletary said he'll be looking for the quarterback who makes "magic" happen when he steps into the huddle. Hill is the favorite to win the starting job. And if Hill is the starter when the season begins, that's not necessarily a bad thing for Smith, either.

The backup will get his shot at some point - just like Hill got his chance when J.T. O'Sullivan's turnovers piled up. Yes, the backup will play. Remember, the only QB in team history that went a full season without giving the backup a chance to get on the field was Alex Smith in 2006.
link

Here is a transcript of my interview with Alex Smith before the Saturday practice at the 49er minicamp:

Cohn: Do you have a different mindset this season?

Smith: Yeah, I think I'm in a very different place mentally than where I was even last year. I just think the combination of going through what I went through and really reaching that level of frustration. Obviously when you're hurt in back-to-back years, you're kind of searching a little bit. And a lot of things happened the way they did and you have a lot of time to think about things and go through them. I had my surgery around Halloween - before this I worried about things sometimes that were out of my control. I worried about things that were external and let them affect me, affect my mind, affect my attitude which in turn affected my play and performance. And really I came to the conclusion - this is honest, I'm not BSing - that stuff kind of is what it is and I'm not going to let it affect me. I'll control what I can control. Which is especially my attitude and state of mind and work ethic. And the rest I'm going to let it run off me. I got married this offseason. I'm really stable outside of football with my life. With all the media stuff and what I went through with Nolan and my injuries, I've reached a point if I let any of that get to me or if I think about it or dwell on it or get that in my head, it ends up having a negative effect on me. I guess the last couple of years I've definitely seen the results of that and what it's done to me. I'm really just going to focus on what I can do. And really what is that? That is my attitude. That is me coming to work, my work ethic. When the season ended I was here every day getting healthy. I'm tired of being hurt. I concentrate on things I can control. That is getting healthy, coming in every day, getting with the coaches, working with the play book. I'm not going to dwell on what people might think of me.

Cohn: Did you dwell on that before?

Smith: Oh, absolutely, being the No. 1 pick whether you like it or not. I've always put a lot of pressure on myself. It's a lot different when you're under the radar. When I went to college and was under the radar no one knows who you are. I knew what I had in me and I set out to prove it and I held myself to a high level but it's very different when you come in as a 20-year-old draft pick turning 21 and playing right away and yeah I still held myself to a high level of expectations but it's different when everyone's looking at you for the answer. Everyone's looking at you - When is it going to happen? Everyone wants to see those things out of you. Stressing about that doesn't help you. I definitely think it was something I thought about, absolutely.

Cohn: Are you under the radar now?

Smith: I don't know if I'm under radar but when you haven't played in two years I guess you're a little bit, more so than what I probably was two years ago for sure. In that sense, yeah, probably.

Cohn: You seem more mature, more able to prioritize things.

Smith: Yes, no question. It reached the point where me sitting here and fretting over what people think of me and this and that was only having a negative impact on me. It was only detrimental to me, affected my play, affected my concentration coming to work. I'm making a conscious effort that I'm not going to do that anymore. I'm not. I'm not going to let any external distractions affect me and my play and I'll really prioritize what's important.

Cohn: In the past did negative thoughts leak into your play?

Smith: It's not necessarily that black and white. The stress of dwelling on things outside your control just wears on you in general. I find myself working harder now but I'm more mentally fresh, if that makes sense. I'm a lot more driven, more motivated. I feel I'm more focused at this point. I know what I'm after. I know what it looks like. I know what I'm trying to get to.

Cohn: What does it look like?

Smith: For me it's not blowing what this is out of proportion. It's playing quarterback. I'm going to do what I can to manage the game. I'm going to come out here every day and work my #!# off. I'm going to bust my #!# and I'm going to know this position better than anyone else. And when I'm out there when that guy's open I'm going to hit him. And when he's not then I'm going to get rid of the ball. I'm not going to sit here and dwell on completion percentage and QB rating and things like that which I did. I can tell you so much gets made out of freaking QB rating in this league. It's in your head. Like that freaking matters in the big picture. I'm here to try and put this team in a position to win and be accountable to my teammates. I haven't been accountable in two years now.

Cohn: What are you trying to accomplish in this minicamp?

Smith: We're competing right now. I mean you can say this is a rookie minicamp but Shaun and I are competing every day. It's very clear that there are no days off and we're going to be competing until a decision is made. So in that sense you better be ready to go. You better be into your book, you better have the mindset that you're going to go out there and compete, compete for your job. This is a big deal and it's not something to be taken likely.

Cohn: Is it a good feeling to be competing?

Smith: It's good. It is good. It's not comfortable. I'll tell you that. It's not. Competing is hard. It's not something easily done when you do it at a high level. Shaun and I, especially how close we are, but we really go after each other. You're out there and you want to become the best player you can and you want to be better and you want to win the job and we both want it. It is hard. It's not easy. It's something that's going to make us better. I know that's kind of cliché but I think it does. Competition is healthy. But yeah it's not comfortable, that's for sure. We're pushing each other. We're going at it.

Cohn: Do you give yourself odds, like what is my shot at being the starting quarterback?

Smith: Not helpful. It's exactly one of those things we talked about. If I start dwelling on, 'Do I have a chance if I do this and that?' those are things outside of my control. Things I can control are coming to work every day prepared and ready to go the best that I can, putting myself in the best position to succeed which in turn is putting my team in the best position to succeed and win games. It's not worrying about other stuff. I'm going to win this job if I go out and play to the best of my ability. It's not necessarily beating Shaun although we're competing against each other. I've got to push myself to beat him out and play to the level I know I can play at.

Cohn: How good a quarterback are you now and do you have an idea of how good you can be?

Smith: I'm trying to raise the bar, trying to raise my own personal bar and at the same time trying to help the 49er team raise the bar and that bar is commitment, it is play, it is my potential and I'm trying to raise all that and trying to achieve it. I know what I want to get to, the player I want to become it definitely is in my head. It's a motivator. I know I can play in this league right now. I know I can be successful. I know I can be a great player. That is in my head, no question. It has to be.

Cohn: You used the adjective great. Is that where your horizon is?

Smith: Yes. Yes. No question. I think without a doubt, it's something I firmly believe. It's just a matter of time. I'm going to make it happen,
link

Very good interview..

^^ alex smith has had it rough, thrown into the fire behind a weak o line, different coordinator every year, getting injured. guaranteed if rodgers and smithhad switched places on draft day it'd be rodgers looking like the bust and smith playing well after sitting for a few years

thanks for the welcome back fellas...nice to be back...but man i cannot wait for what this team has in store for us...i predict a 9-7 year at the most...me andmy boy are going to the arizona game anyone else going?....and as for alex smith im giving up on him i juss dont see it from him

Originally Posted by Andrew630

i'm gonna be pulling for alex smith this year. i hope he can stay healthy and really prove everyone wrong (including me)
I will root for Alex Smith once Shaun Hill proves in the REGULAR season, not preseason or practice, that he can't get the job done. Untilthen, he's my boy.

Originally Posted by BirdsIView

Originally Posted by Andrew630

i'm gonna be pulling for alex smith this year. i hope he can stay healthy and really prove everyone wrong (including me)
I will root for Alex Smith once Shaun Hill proves in the REGULAR season, not preseason or practice, that he can't get the job done. Until then, he's my boy.
QFT

[table][tr][td]Five Worst NFL Owners[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]5[/td] [td]Denise DeBartolo York[/td] [td]
49ers_45.gif
[/td] [td]San Francisco 49ers
Took control 2000[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Purchase Price[/td] [td]Current Value[/td] [td]W-L[/td] [td]Winning %[/td] [td]Playoffs[/td] [td]Championships[/td] [/tr][tr][td]N/A[/td] [td]$865M[/td] [td]53-75[/td] [td].417[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
denise-DeBartolo-York.jpg
Niners fans long for the days of Eddie DeBartolo, who was once the envy of the NFL and produced five Super Bowl champions. Following his part in a riverboat-corruption scandal, DeBartolo's sister wrested control of the proud franchise in 2000 and handed the reigns to her husband, John York. Since then the 49ers have become one of the biggest train wrecks in the NFL. Many believe York's curt style is the reason the city of San Francisco isn't willing to work with the team to provide a new stadium within city limits, which is forcing the Niners to look south to Santa Clara County.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]4[/td] [td]Mike Brown[/td] [td]
bengals_45.gif
[/td] [td]Cincinnati Bengals
Inherited 1991[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Purchase Price[/td] [td]Current Value[/td] [td]W-L[/td] [td]Winning %[/td] [td]Playoffs[/td] [td]Championships[/td] [/tr][tr][td]N/A[/td] [td]$941M[/td] [td]99-186-1[/td] [td].351[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
mike-Brown.jpg
Brown did his legendary father proud by refusing to sell the Bengals' stadium naming rights and keeping it Paul Brown Stadium. But that's about the only tribute he has paid to dad's legacy. For some teams, operating without a general manager works -- take New England, for example. It doesn't in Cincinnati. Despite 17 non-winning seasons in the past 18 years, the junior Brown refuses to hire a GM, a stubborn stance that's the first target of scorn from the long-suffering fans. The scouting department is also notoriously the most understaffed in the NFL, while under Brown's reign, Bengals players have made the news for criminal acts off the field almost as often as for their failings on it.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]3[/td] [td]Dan Snyder[/td] [td]http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/football/nfl/logos/*******s_45.gif[/td] [td]Washington ********
Purchased 1999[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Purchase Price[/td] [td]Current Value[/td] [td]W-L[/td] [td]Winning %[/td] [td]Playoffs[/td] [td]Championships[/td] [/tr][tr][td]$750M[/td] [td]$1,538M[/td] [td]70-74[/td] [td].488[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
daniel-Snyder.jpg
Snyder is a good businessman and spares no expense with one of the most profitable franchises in sports. But maybe that's the problem: The young billionaire runs the team more like a first-time fantasy-football manager. Among the most expensive outlays: nearly $225 million committed to LaVar Arrington, Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Laveranues Coles and Adam Archuleta. Though those mistakes were at beginning of Snyder's tenure, Washington still hasn't come anywhere near the Super Bowl and has had five head coaches during his decade of ownership. Think Snyder learned his lesson? This past offseason, he locked up three players -- Albert Haynesworth, DeAngelo Hall and Derrick Dockery -- for a combined $162M.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]2[/td] [td]William Clay Ford[/td] [td]
lions_45.gif
[/td] [td]Detroit Lions
Purchased 1964[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Purchase Price[/td] [td]Current Value[/td] [td]W-L[/td] [td]Winning %[/td] [td]Playoffs[/td] [td]Championships[/td] [/tr][tr][td]$5M[/td] [td]$917M[/td] [td]281-374-13[/td] [td].411[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
william-clay-ford.jpg
That the Lions became the first NFL team to go 0-16 last season is just the beginning of the team's problems. Detroit has become the league's laughingstock since the auto magnate bought the team 45 years ago, making the playoffs only nine times and winning just one postseason game. Ford blindly stuck by his player-turned-top executive Matt Millen for seven years despite the team's greatest stretch of incompetence. Under Millen's reign, the Lions didn't post a single winning season, never finished higher than third in the NFC North and never came within a sniff of the playoffs. Yet he was rewarded with a multi-year extension at the start of the '05 season before Ford finally fired him three years later.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]1[/td] [td]Al Davis[/td] [td]
raiders_45.gif
[/td] [td]Oakland Raiders
Purchased 1966[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]Purchase Price[/td] [td]Current Value[/td] [td]W-L[/td] [td]Winning %[/td] [td]Playoffs[/td] [td]Championships[/td] [/tr][tr][td]$180,000[/td] [td]$861M[/td] [td]368-264-8[/td] [td].569[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
al-davis.jpg
It's hard to knock three Super Bowl titles, one AFL championship and 21 postseason appearances since Davis bought into the former AFL franchise. Problem is, the game has passed the Hall of Famer by and he seems to be the only one who doesn't know it. Since the Raiders were blown out in Super Bowl XXVII, they've gone a league-worst 24-72 and have blazed through five head coaches since '01, including the fiasco over is-he-or-isn't-he-fired Lane Kiffin this past season. All this ignores the real problem: that Davis is out of touch, refuses to adapt and continues to be infatuated with speedsters (this year the team inexplicably drafted Darrius Heyward-Bey with the No. 7-overall pick) instead of building a deep roster that can compete.[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

laugh.gif
@ this list... Too bad its true
ohwell.gif

It's looking better now that Jed has control.
mad.gif

We need Eddie back
the dude was actually an assertive owner who made sure his team was in a position to win, it honestly seems like the current 9er ownership didn't give a+*%@ before this past offseason.

me and my boy are going to the arizona game anyone else going?

Yeah Im gonna go. Been to every Niner Cardinals game in Arizona for the past 8 years. I hate Arizona fans so much. The most idiotic in all of sports.

Originally Posted by dland24

me and my boy are going to the arizona game anyone else going?

Yeah Im gonna go. Been to every Niner Cardinals game in Arizona for the past 8 years. I hate Arizona fans so much. The most idiotic in all of sports.
dedication
pimp.gif

are there any incentives for you to go? Or just because?
and you're from the bay right?

holgrem should come to the niners.
How nice would that be if he came back home to the Bay Area? I was kind of hoping he was willing to take a GM type job for the Niners. I think hewould be highly considered if Scotty and Sing fail this season.

Back
Top Bottom