Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

[h2]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/08/49ers-not-interested-in-vick/[/h2]
[h2]49ers Not Interested In Vick[/h2]
Posted by Aaron Wilson on June 8, 2009, 8:01 p.m. EDT

Although the San Francisco 49ers have been linked to Michael Vick repeatedly in rumors this offseason, 49ers General Manager Scot McCloughan shot down the idea today during a Sirius NFL Radio appearance, per Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat.

In an interview with Adam Schein and Jim Miller, McCloughan acknowledged recently discussing Vick with coach Mike Singletary. However, the 49ers have apparently decided to take a pass on the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

"Well, I think what happens there, and I totally respect it, is people understand who Mike Singletary is and understand that he has no problem giving guys second chances," McCloughan said. "Coach and I have sat down. We sat down and talked last week. We had an off-week of OTAs and we discussed about Michael Vick and we're not going to go that route. We will not do it."

A few months ago, Singletary seemed to be open to the thought of acquiring Vick.

Then, team officials quickly stated that the 49ers, who once employed Lawrence Phillips years ago, were not going to be a future destination for Vick.
I think this is Sing being over ruled by the GM. I'd love to have Vick on the Bench waiting to show he's back in game shape. Oh well Preseason cant come soon enough.

no thanks to vick...i dont want all that media frenzy surrounding our team...but i wouldnt mind trying to get vince young though...i hear hes nothappy in tenn
nerd.gif

[h2]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/08/49ers-not-interested-in-vick/[/h2]

Although the San Francisco 49ers have been linked to Michael Vick repeatedly in rumors this offseason, 49ers General Manager Scot McCloughan shot down the idea today during a Sirius NFL Radio appearance, per Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat.

In an interview with Adam Schein and Jim Miller, McCloughan acknowledged recently discussing Vick with coach Mike Singletary. However, the 49ers have apparently decided to take a pass on the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

"Well, I think what happens there, and I totally respect it, is people understand who Mike Singletary is and understand that he has no problem giving guys second chances," McCloughan said. "Coach and I have sat down. We sat down and talked last week. We had an off-week of OTAs and we discussed about Michael Vick and we're not going to go that route. We will not do it."

A few months ago, Singletary seemed to be open to the thought of acquiring Vick.

Then, team officials quickly stated that the 49ers, who once employed Lawrence Phillips years ago, were not going to be a future destination for Vick.
I think this is Sing being over ruled by the GM. I'd love to have Vick on the Bench waiting to show he's back in game shape. Oh well Preseason cant come soon enough.

Thank the lord. I don't want that damn bum and all the baggage he brings with him.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

no thanks to vick...i dont want all that media frenzy surrounding our team...but i wouldnt mind trying to get vince young though...i hear hes not happy in tenn
nerd.gif

Michael Vick RIGHT NOW >>>>>>>> Vince Young right now......i am super straight off of Vince Young. No thanks.

glad. would have been a disaster. plus, we'd still not have a clear-cut starter so he wouldn't have solved anything.

Originally Posted by dland24

no thanks to vick...i dont want all that media frenzy surrounding our team...but i wouldnt mind trying to get vince young though...i hear hes not happy in tenn
nerd.gif

Michael Vick RIGHT NOW >>>>>>>> Vince Young right now......i am super straight off of Vince Young. No thanks.
laugh.gif
dland you're a trip.

Originally Posted by dland24

nerd.gif

are u kidding me?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

any word on how Crabtree is doing. Does it look like he's gonna be gettin most of his PT from the slot ??
How are we supposed to know that when he hasn't been able to take part in OTA's? This is how I know you're a fairweather/bandwagon49ers fan. Every Niner fan on NT knows that Crabtree won't be good to go until camp starts.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

any word on how Crabtree is doing. Does it look like he's gonna be gettin most of his PT from the slot ??
How are we supposed to know that when he hasn't been able to take part in OTA's? This is how I know you're a fairweather/bandwagon 49ers fan. Every Niner fan on NT knows that Crabtree won't be good to go until camp starts.
got 'em!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

I personally dont want them to move since the stadium is 5 minutes away from me

Try coming form the Eastbay to Santa Clara
sick.gif

I really hope Smith contiune to work hard and obtain the #1 job?
Anyone see that featue espn did on Leinart? Dudes doing MMA to perpare for this season.

You really want to see Smith as our starting QB? I mean i guess he deserves another shot?

i like hill just as much as the next guy, but i won't mind smith winning it.
With Hill, you know what you're getting from him.
Smith on the other hand...there's that unknown with him. Smith will have a new line and MUCH better receivers now. hopefully this will ease the pressure off of him and give him confidence to make the correct play and throw.

...and if he fails, PLEASE dead the guy
roll.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by offbad

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

How are we supposed to know that when he hasn't been able to take part in OTA's? This is how I know you're a fairweather/bandwagon 49ers fan. Every Niner fan on NT knows that Crabtree won't be good to go until camp starts.
got 'em!
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

You really want to see Smith as our starting QB? I mean i guess he deserves another shot?

NO...i really dont...im really done with this guy...yehh yehh i know hes had so many different OCs but i honestly think hes done...dudes a bust...its time tomove forward and shaun hill hasnt disappointed us out there hes done decent when his number has been called...hill is and should be our starter

NikeTalker23 wrote:
80JerryRice80 wrote:
ouch...
laugh.gif

^^ yall been reading the newspaper lately? they been saying Alex Smith been looking really impressive ...even Scott McCloughan went to see Smith in practiceand said he havn't seen smith look that impressive before....but a starter wont be name probably until 3rd Pre-Season game. As for Crabtree he been doinglight running lately ...

Originally Posted by i3allistic

^^ yall been reading the newspaper lately? they been saying Alex Smith been looking really impressive ...even Scott McCloughan went to see Smith in practice and said he havn't seen smith look that impressive before....but a starter wont be name probably until 3rd Pre-Season game. As for Crabtree he been doing light running lately ...
yehh he looks impressive now...lets see what he can do in a 16 game season and do it consistently...sorry ive lost faith in our number 1 pick...imdone with him but lets see if he can make me into a believer

i don't really care who they put under center. just get the job done.
smith? sure. Hill? why not.

but i think Hill should at least hold more weight for all he did last year.

Originally Posted by offbad

i don't really care who they put under center. just get the job done.
smith? sure. Hill? why not.

[color= rgb(0, 0, 255)]but i think Hill should at least hold more weight for all he did last year.[/color]
no doubt, but singletary just aint sold on him for some reason
laugh.gif

Poll Shows Santa Clara Favoring 49ers Stadium

The 49ers know they need to do more than just win over Santa Clara City Council to build a new stadium at what it is now a parking lot next to Great America. They also need a majority of Santa Clara voters to approve the deal. And the first poll on the topic shows that early on, they're winning that fight.
See extraordinary pictures from the world of sports.
A poll conducted by the San Jose Business Journal between June 2nd-9th showed that 58 percent of respondents approved of the stadium deal as currently proposed by Santa Clara City Council and the 49ers. Only 31 percent of respondents opposed the deal, for a nearly 2-to-1 margin favoring the Santa Clara stadium. An additional 11 percent of respondents didn't have an opinion but went and voted anyway.
Do realize this poll did not employ an especially rigorous methodology. It was just an on line poll. Respondents could have been voting from Santa Clara, San Francisco, or anywhere on earth with a functioning wireless connection. Additionally, there were no safeguards in place to keep Carmen Policy from voting 500 times from different IP addresses.
Realize also that the ballot measure will not resemble the on line poll question. John Cote pointed out in last week's Chronicle that Santa Clara voters will have to pass two measures -- one approving the stadium financing, the other approving a change to city law allowing the same contractor to both design and build the stadium. A defeat to either of the two measures would halt the stadium project.
Still, this is undeniably good news for the 49ers' ownership. Even if it's just an on line poll, they'd rather be winning by 2-to-1 than losing by 2-to-1.
Not super-legit but it's some good news ..
pimp.gif

I liked this article..

Singletary busted Crabtree for false start

Turns out the rehab running Michael Crabtree did on Monday wasn't exactly the first time he's hoofed it since his March foot surgery. "I remember the first day we came out here for a minicamp (in May), and he was over there running routes," Mike Singletary said today of his rookie wideout. "I said, 'What the heck are you doing? You're not supposed to be out here. Who told you to come out here?' And we got that straight, but he was almost in tears. I said I've got nothing against you. I'm not angry at you or anything. I just want you to know that you have to do everything the doctors want you to do so that you can get better."

The point Singletary was making is that Crabtree badly wants to return to the practice field. He is expected to do that when training camp opens - tentatively on July 30 - but the key to keeping Crabtree healthy, Singletary said, is closely monitoring his workload over the next six weeks. The 49ers want Crabtree running in that interim so that the rigors of training camp are not a shock to his system. But they also want to make sure he's not pushing too hard, which is a concern with someone as competitive as Crabtree.
"I'm looking at him, I'm watching him very closely as he's running and he's competing with everybody he's running against," Singletary noted. "That's a good thing, but at the same time, I want to make sure - 'Ok, you don't have to win every race. I just want to make sure you're going at the level you need to go out, so when we go out here in training camp, you're ready to go.'"

Speaking of training camp, I Twittered earlier that Singletary said there are plans to re-visit Napa and have another scrimmage with the Raiders. Mike Nolan and Lane Kiffin arranged a scrimmage last summer that was well-received by both teams. "I'm very excited about the opportunity because they have a tremendous amount of talent on that team," Singletary said.

The 49ers have put together three efficient practices since Singletary's vituperative on Monday, and that seemed to please the head coach very much. Today was the final day of a four-day OTA session. The team will reassemble on Monday and Tuesday and then have a month-and-half break until training camp.
"When we are working together, the defense and the offense is getting something out of it," Singletary said. "So, I'm very excited about that. We're getting in a rhythm and that's where we won't to go with that."

That rhythm begins with the quarterback, and both Alex Smith and Shaun Hill looked good today. Receiver Michael Spurlock (he also has looked good this week) was the recipient of a nice touch pass from Smith on the right sideline. Spurlock also hauled an even nicer throw from Hill on the opposite sideline.

Singletary agreed with Scot McCloughan's comments from earlier this week that Smith looks sharper and more confident than he has in years. But he's not ready to lavish praise on the former No. 1 overall draft pick until he sees Smith shine in a game situation.

"Nothing means anything until he's out there facing some live bullets," Singletary said. "All of a sudden, all form and technique goes when you've got guys coming at you. So I think it's important to look at him and compliment him where a compliment's needed -- both of them -- but until those bullets start flying, it's not a whole lot of information that we know."

In other words, the quarterback battle won't be decided until Singletary, Jimmy Raye and Mike Johnson see their pupils play in a couple of preseason games.

The catch of the day may have come from rookie Bear Pascoe. Smith fired a 20-yarder over the middle to Pascoe, who was well-covered by Jeff Ulbrich. Both Pascoe and Ulbrich turned for the ball at the same moment, but Pascoe somehow snatched it away. Ulbrich looked at his hands as if to say, 'Why isn't the ball there?' and then dramatically dropped face-down onto the 40-yard line until Pascoe trotted back and helped him to his feet. The play drew perhaps the biggest cheer of the offseason from the assembled players.

Speaking of tight ends ... It's a safe bet that Vernon Davis' catch total will rise, perhaps sharply, from last year. Davis was the target on at least a dozen throws today and he hauled all but two in. One of his drops was a throw from Smith that was behind him. On another out pattern, Davis seemed to bolt upfield before he had the ball tucked away. The point, however, is that those drops are now few and far between. His hands seem to be a lot better than they've been in recent seasons.

-- Matt Barrows

[h2]Mike Martz Speaks[/h2]
Former 49ers' offensive coordinator Mike Martz was just on NFL Network breaking down Alex Smith. He said that Smith needs to bend his knees more, spread his feet and widen his base to improve his mechanics. Being nearly 6-foot, 5-inches tall, Martz said when Smith throws with a narrow base, his shoulders tend to tilt which affects his accuracy.

Martz refrained from harsh criticism of Smith, but did say that Smith often didn't know where to go with his passes and said he had a hard time trusting his receivers. "Some of his receivers were a little subpar," Martz said. "When that happens, you cut corners."

martz-smith-wide300x171.jpg

49ers.com

Mike Martz talked about Alex Smith on NFL Network on Friday.

Martz also said the constant rotation of offensive coordinators had an adverse impact on Smith's development. But why not break down Shaun Hill? He's the most unusual 49ers quarterback I've ever seen, and everyone is mystified on how he can be so effective.

On another matter, Martz was asked if he would sign Michael Vick, who was released from the Falcons today. Martz said he would only do it if he already had an entrenched starter at quarterback. He would then use Vick as a receiver and a runner and a quarterback who could take about 30 percent of the snaps. Apparently three or four teams are interested in Vick, including the Patriots. New England might make the most sense for Vick because fans trust the organization, which might minimize the distraction factor.

Frank Gore segment from the other day

There was also a Vernon Davis one..couldn't find a vid on it.

It's not the best group of receivers the 49ers have ever assembled. Obviously, Rice and Taylor trumps all. But this is the deepest the 49ers have ever been at wideout. (And if you don't believe me, try to name seven better receivers who have been on the roster at the same time.)

The 49ers have seven good receivers. Included on that list is one veteran (Isaac Bruce) who not long ago was genuinely great, and a couple younger receivers (Michael Crabtree and Josh Morgan) with chances to be very, very good in the near future.

When I solicited some questions last night, it was the receiver group that people most wanted to hear about.

Questions: Which 49ers WR looks to be on the outside looking in? (Ryan)

What is your prediction of the 49ers Depth Chart at WR? (Don)

Do you see Arnaz Battle making the team? (Patrick)

I'd love to hear your prediction on how the WR situation will play out. (Marc)

Who has the better year -- Josh Morgan or Isaac Bruce? (Trevor)

Answers Several days ago, somebody emailed me asking which 49ers player is most apt to have a "breakout" season. My answer was Josh Morgan. It makes a lot of sense that the team is giving him action at flanker or the "Z" position during the offseason program. He played split end or "X" as a rookie. Now, he can play anywhere he's most needed.

The 49ers have really good depth at receiver, and it has been needed for these offseason workouts.

Reclusive veteran Isaac Bruce shows up only when he's contractually obligated. (At least the club does not have to pay him his $25,000 workout bonus.) Michael Crabtree is on a schedule in which he will not practice with his teammates until the first day of training camp. Arnaz Battle continues to rehab a foot injury that forced him out of the final half of last season. And Jason Hill has missed a couple weeks with a hamstring pull.

I've always been of the opinion that Battle is a darn good player. Hill took his spot in the second half of last season and did a really nice job when Battle was injured. But Hill has experienced his share of injuries in his short career, too. That is why the club signed Brandon Jones, making him the club's second-highest paid receiver (behind the contract Crabtree will receiver as the No. 10 overall pick). The coaches probably prefer Battle and Hill over Jones, but Jones has looked good in workouts and you know he is going to be on the team this season.

Battle and Bruce are in the final year of their contracts. I do not expect either to be on the club in 2010. Battle's spot is vulnerable. Bruce, I'm sure, will be on the team. But the 49ers owe it to themselves to put the best guys on the field. At some point real soon, it would not surprise me if Bruce is no longer one of the team's best two receivers. (I think Morgan will have the better year.)

This is difficult, but here is my - all things considered - list of where the 49ers receivers stand right now: Morgan, Bruce, Crabtree, Jones, Hill, Battle and Zeigler. The reason I put Zeigler at No. 7 is mostly because he's the only one of that group that is a) eligible for the practice squad, and b) might actually not get claimed if he's waived. The reason Crabtree is No. 3 is because nobody has seen him run a route and catch a pass.

Back
Top Bottom