Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

9 wins would be nice this year
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

[h2]Mike Martz Speaks[/h2]
Former 49ers' offensive coordinator Mike Martz was just on NFL Network breaking down Alex Smith. He said that Smith needs to bend his knees more, spread his feet and widen his base to improve his mechanics. Being nearly 6-foot, 5-inches tall, Martz said when Smith throws with a narrow base, his shoulders tend to tilt which affects his accuracy.

Martz refrained from harsh criticism of Smith, but did say that Smith often didn't know where to go with his passes and said he had a hard time trusting his receivers. "Some of his receivers were a little subpar," Martz said. "When that happens, you cut corners."

martz-smith-wide300x171.jpg

49ers.com

Mike Martz talked about Alex Smith on NFL Network on Friday.

Martz also said the constant rotation of offensive coordinators had an adverse impact on Smith's development. But why not break down Shaun Hill? He's the most unusual 49ers quarterback I've ever seen, and everyone is mystified on how he can be so effective.

On another matter, Martz was asked if he would sign Michael Vick, who was released from the Falcons today. Martz said he would only do it if he already had an entrenched starter at quarterback. He would then use Vick as a receiver and a runner and a quarterback who could take about 30 percent of the snaps. Apparently three or four teams are interested in Vick, including the Patriots. New England might make the most sense for Vick because fans trust the organization, which might minimize the distraction factor.

http://www.nfl.com/videos...Alex-Smith-be-productive
Sorry I wasn't sure how to embed...theres a video on the page with Martz talking about it

^^ Martz right tho, when you have doo-doo as WR for Smith during his early career ...he gonna loose trust. This gonna be a make or break season for Alex Smith...So far what i've been reading he stepping up ...let see if he can show it on the field.

Originally Posted by i3allistic

^^ Martz right tho, when you have doo-doo as WR for Smith during his early career ...he gonna loose trust. This gonna be a make or break season for Alex Smith ...So far what i've been reading he stepping up ...let see if he can show it on the field.

agreed but I feel that Hill should start the season

Family day was coo, I snuck into the locker room tours with no tickets haha..No Crabby though..Coffee was a cool dude though, so was Scott Mckillop.

[h1]Where Norris goes, Gore will follow[/h1]
Gwen Knapp, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

(06-15) 19:02 PDT -- Frank Gore wanted his fullback's attention. "Big Mo," he hollered across the 49ers' practice field Monday, as Moran Norris finished up some extracurricular drills by catching passes. Gore had been explaining his friendship with Norris to a reporter, and he wanted backup.

"We're very close on and off the field," Gore said, waiting for Norris to arrive.

"It goes beyond football," the fullback confirmed, a day before his 31st birthday. "He's like a little brother to me."

Their reunion might be the feel-good story of the 49ers' offseason, bringing together a combination that helped Gore rush for more yards in 2006 than any other running back in team history.

No one was terribly surprised that they ended up apart at the end of the 2008 training camp, when the 49ers waived Norris to accommodate the creativity of then-offensive coordinator Mike Martz. No fan of fullbacks in general, Martz had little use for the big lug of a lead blocker. Once a meat-and-potatoes running game returned to the 49ers' menu, Norris came back on the roster. He signed a three-year deal, reportedly worth $5 million, in late February.

At the end of last season, when players had their exit interviews with the coaches, Gore said he brought up Norris' name during his talk with head coach Mike Singletary.

"I put a buzz in his ear," he said.

When the 49ers decided to contact Norris, general manager Scot McCloughan checked with Gore to let him know the team was interested. The feeling was mutual.

After a few weeks of unemployment, Norris had spent most of the 2008 season with the Detroit Lions, whose 0-16 season might have been miserable, "but it beats sitting at home watching the games on TV," Norris said.

Whenever he could, he watched the 49ers and tried to fight off frustration. Norris and Gore talked to each other every week. Five years apart in age, they had bonded early in the '06 season, when they both began the year as second-teamers and worked their way up. Pretty soon, they were driving to games together, sharing meals regularly and putting 1,695 yards on Gore's resume.

Their rapport, they say, allows them to read each other's movements in advance. Each knows instinctively how the other will react to a given situation.

When Gore reached the Pro Bowl in 2006, he took Norris as his guest. A 49ers scrapbook from the week in Hawaii shows the two buddies side by side, wearing orchid leis and flashing peace signs.

At least once a week, Gore said, he can count on a home-cooked meal, courtesy of Norris' wife, Tamara. Next week, the Morans will host their annual football camp, which functions as a fundraiser for their foundation, aimed at helping at-risk youth in their native Houston get through school.

Several 49ers have volunteered to attend and help coach the kids, including tight end Vernon Davis and wide receiver Arnaz Battle. Gore is a regular, faithfully following Norris' lead.

E-mail Gwen Knapp at [email protected].

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/16/SPA5187H74.DTL

This article appeared on page D - 3 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

Im happy Frank gore is happy, hopefully we get a spectacular season out of him + Norris this year.
pimp.gif

you're in the wrong thread buddy..this one is for 49er fans..

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Im happy Frank gore is happy, hopefully we get a spectacular season out of him + Norris this year.
pimp.gif

roll.gif

My boy just told me on ESPN they showed Crabtree crying cause of something Singletary said... Any vids
nerd.gif
?

pimp.gif

My room has been filled w/ 49er memorablia since i was a kid. My dvd collection is filled w/ 49er DVDS
eyes.gif

I watch EVERY SINGLE GAME EVERY SEASON. Just because I root for other teams too, does not mean i am not a true fan.
Now stop it u annoying prick.

pimp.gif

My room has been filled w/ 49er memorablia since i was a kid. My dvd collection is filled w/ 49er DVDS
eyes.gif

I watch EVERY SINGLE GAME EVERY SEASON. Just because I root for other teams too, does not mean i am not a true fan.
Now stop it u annoying prick.

Thank you x1000 for calling him this. Maybe we will have some peace and quiet around here for a while if a mod sees this. Good Riddance.

Originally Posted by xDOEBOIx

pimp.gif

roll.gif

My boy just told me on ESPN they showed Crabtree crying cause of something Singletary said... Any vids
nerd.gif
?
Tell your boy hes an idiot if he thinks crabtree "cried".

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

That is a beautiful stadium. I do hope the Niners get that stadium built in our lifetime. Haha.

Word, hopefully they can get it done as quickly as the Cowboys got theirs done. in about 4-5 yrs.

4663_799885500893_1227061_45688887_7148558_n.jpg

can't wait for football season. and what's the timeline on our new digs? 2013? 2020? maybe by that time I'll have money to go to games

*edit: why the mother#@$%$#ing &@#$^ isn't THIS the uniform

j_morgan_081228_blog1.jpg

[h1]"Crabtree's All That": Five Reasons To Expect Michael Crabtree at 49er Training Camp[/h1] [h1]#5
[/h1]
display_image.jpg

Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images

Having been in a boot or physical rehabilitation since the end of his collegiate season, Crabtree has to be itching (STD pun intended) to get back on the playing field.

Word out of training camp is that Crabtree has been anxious to get involved in OTA activities…a little too anxious.

Apparently Head Coach Mike Singletary gave Crabtree a "talking to" following his non-training staff permitted running along the 49er sidelines.

As Singletary later stated, this incident left Crabtree "teary eyed".

Such a reaction should sit well with 49er fans who may have otherwise questioned his love of football.

As evidenced by his OTA attendance and eagerness to get involved, it's unlikely that Crabtree will willingly add any additional obstacles (like a contract) between him and the 49er practice field.

http://bleacherreport.com...9er-training-camp#page/6
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Someone said this a couple pages back, I guess it is true.

Back
Top Bottom