Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

I'll update the thread with as much news & notes
bright, you have failed us...
tired.gif

haha sucka!

[h2]A Look at Alex Boone[/h2]
I dug up a tape from this year's Fiesta Bowl to take a look at the 49ers most intriguing rookie free agent, gargantuan tackle Alex Boone. He played left tackle at Ohio State in the Buckeyes' last minute 24-21 Fiesta Bowl defeat to Texas and experienced a mixed night.

Boone looked dominate at times, particularly with his run blocking in the first half. Before running back Beanie Wells went out with a concussion, he romped for 102 yards in the first half and many of those runs came behind Boone. Not only can he drive block at 6-8, 320 pounds, but he showed the ability to find a linebacker in space and wall him off, which might have been the most impressive aspect of his game.

Boone will switch to right tackle with the 49ers, an area of ardent need, particularly with Marvel Smith's balky back and Adam Snyder's and Barry Sims's sketchy pass protection, which will also be Boone's most formidable challenge. Against the Longhorns, he pass blocked fairly well, but at times, he flat out got beat. Eventual first-round choice Brian Orakpo got two steps on Boone before he could even get out of his stance. Orakpo, who went with the no. 13 overall choice to Washington, smashed into quarterback Terrelle Pryor two seconds after the snap to force an incompletion.

However, Boone held up well the rest of the game forcing Orakpo to rush mainly from the right side in the second half. The end of the game is where Boone seemed to struggle. It looked like he wore down. The Ohio State offensive line ran wild on the Longhorns, who came into the game ranked second in the country to run defense. Those numbers might be skewed because so many Big-12 teams pass nearly every down out of the spread formation. Nevertheless, Texas didn't get to number two without stopping somebody.

Nevertheless, towards the end to the game, the Buckeye line struggled to stop the Longhorn blitzes and that included Boone. On a two-point conversion in the fourth quarter, Boone faced two blitzers, and didn't to lay a hand on either one of the them as they sped past him, which led to a hurried throw and failed two-point attempt.

Boone300x207.jpg

Alex Boone will look to make the team when training camp opens.

Boone, however, did continue to collapse the right side of the Texas front with consistent wash down blocks throughout the game. The Buckeye line was so big, Texas had to slant their linemen to get push, and Boone took advantage of slants away from him with obliterating blocks. That's exactly what the 49ers might want to establish with their line this season - to be so big that defenses must slant to gain penetration. Boone would excel in such a system.

But his ability to make the team will hinge on his pass protection, his stamina, and one other item - staying out of trouble. Boone slipped out of the draft completely after his arrest in his native southern California for disorderly behavior. Inebriated, Boone banged on garage doors, and leapt onto cars one night in Feb. 2, which prompted a call to the cops. The police had to taser him him twice after finding him hiding underneath a porch.
During OTA's, Boone vowed to be a reformed man. Once projected as a top prospect at tackle following his junior year, If he can stay sober, gain lung capacity and a quicker pair of feet, he could be the surprise of training camp.
Link

[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]49ers Announce Training Camp Schedule[/td] [td]
print
[/td] [/tr][/table]
July 09, 2009
tcamp500.jpg

The San Francisco 49ers and the San Jose Mercury News are offering the 49ers Faithful free tickets to the first of four open practices during the 2009 training camp -- Mercury News Day. That practice will take place on Saturday, August 1, at 8:30am.

The only way to get these exclusive tickets for the first day is through the San Jose Mercury News. Purchase the Mercury News on Tuesday, July 14 and look for the special "Training Camp Code" and instructions. Or go to Facebook.com and sign up as a fan of the San Jose Mercury News and receive news about the promotion on Tuesday. Either in print or online, you will receive instructions on going to 49ers.com to print your free tickets. One ticket admits up to two people.

Additional practice sessions open to the public: Saturday, August 1 (4:30pm); Saturday, August 8 (8:30am & 4:00pm). Gates open an hour before practice begins. Information regarding online ticket registration for these sessions will be provided at a later date.

This is the fifth year that the 49ers training camp will be held at the team's Santa Clara practice facility and presented by the San Jose Mercury News and Samsung. All open practices will feature interactive games, sponsor booths and player autograph sessions for fans.

During the fan practice sessions, members of the Gold Rush Cheerleading team and Sourdough Sam will also be in attendance. San Francisco 49ers tickets, merchandise and concessions will also be on sale.

The 49ers training facility is located at 4949 Centennial Boulevard in Santa Clara, CA.

49ers Training Camp Practice Schedule
All practice dates and times are subject to change

Tuesday, July 28: Rookies report
Thursday, July 30: Veterans report
Saturday, Aug. 1: 8:30 a.m. and 4:20 p.m. (both practices open to public)
Sunday, Aug. 2: no morning session and 4:20 p.m.

Monday, Aug. 3: 8:30 a.m. and 4:20 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 4: 8:30 a.m. and 4:20 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug. 5: 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (special teams only)
Thursday, Aug. 6: 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 7: 8:30 a.m. 4 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 8: 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. (both practices open to public)
Sunday, Aug. 9: no morning session 3 p.m. Walk thru

Monday, Aug. 10: 8:30 a.m. 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 11: 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (special teams only)
Wednesday, Aug. 12: 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 13: 11:00 a.m. (mock game) 1:30 p.m.
Friday, Aug. 14: Game vs. Denver 7 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 15: Players' Day Off
Sunday, Aug. 16: 3 p.m. walk-thru

Monday, Aug. 17: 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 18: 8:30 a.m. and 4:20 p.m. w/ Raiders in Napa
Wednesday, Aug. 19: 8:30 a.m. and 4:20 p.m. w/ Raiders in Napa
Thursday, Aug. 20: no morning session and 4 p.m. (Special teams only)
Friday, Aug. 21: 11 a.m. (mock game) 1:30 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 22: Game vs. Oakland, 5:15 p.m.
Sunday, Aug. 23: Players' Day Off

Monday, Aug. 24: no morning session and 4 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 25: 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. (special teams only)
Wednesday, Aug. 26: 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Thursday, Aug. 27: 8:30 a.m. and no aftenoon sessio)
Friday, Aug. 28: 10:30 a.m. (mock game)
Saturday, Aug. 29: Game at Dallas, 5 p.m. PDT
Sunday, Aug. 30: Players' day off

Im thinking about flying to San Fran to catch a game... How do I go about buying single game tickets?

Originally Posted by xDOEBOIx

Im thinking about flying to San Fran to catch a game... How do I go about buying single game tickets?

try forums.49ers.com and make a post about which game you want to go to and im sure somebody will have tickets..or ticketmaster but I don't know when theygo on sale or if they did already...you can also try stubhub or ebay but prices will be jacked up..

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

try forums.49ers.com and make a post about which game you want to go to and im sure somebody will have tickets..or ticketmaster but I don't know when they go on sale or if they did already...you can also try stubhub or ebay but prices will be jacked up..
Yea I been checking for eagles and 49ers since thatll be the closest game to my home... But prices are looking kind of steep... Thanks though

try stubhub.com
or wait until july 25 when single game tickets go on sale.
good luck getting tickets.

anyone here able to get tickets to this year's training camp? i was wondering what they look like and if i could just print last years ticket and getit.....they didnt really look at them or anything last year.

49ers Sign QB Davis to 4-Year Deal
natedavissigns-header.jpg

The San Francisco 49ers announced today that they have signed fifth-round draft choice QB Nate Davis to a four-year contract. The team also announced that they have waived S Lewis Baker.

Davis (6-2, 217) was a two-time MAC Conference Offensive Player of the Year (2007-08), becoming the first player in school history to throw for 3,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He was a finalist for the 2008 Manning Award, given annually to the nation's top passer, throwing for 3,591 yards and 26 touchdowns, while running for 312 yards and five touchdowns.

In his career, Davis set school career records for touchdown passes (74), passing yards (9,233), passing attempts (1,124), pass completions (678), 250-yard passing games (20) and 300-yard passing games (9). His 74 career touchdown passes rank fifth in MAC history behind Chad Pennington and Ben Roethlisberger. Davis also compiled 499 rushing yards for 10 TDs while at Ball State.

Davis had a career year in 2007, being named the team's MVP after throwing for 3,667 yards and 30 touchdowns. He finished second in the MAC and 15th nationally, averaging 300.3 yards of total offense per game. As a true freshman in 2006, he ranked fifth among MAC freshmen all-time as he threw for 1,975 yards and tied the school record with 18 touchdown passes in a single season.

The 22-year-old Davis is a native of Bellaire, OH. He becomes the fifth of the 49ers seven 2009 draft picks to sign with the team.
This is going to be an intense QB workout for who starts... Cant waitt
pimp.gif

The San Francisco 49ers announced today that they have signed fifth-round draft choice QB Nate Davis to a four-year contract. The team also announced that they have waived S Lewis Baker.

Davis (6-2, 217) was a two-time MAC Conference Offensive Player of the Year (2007-08), becoming the first player in school history to throw for 3,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He was a finalist for the 2008 Manning Award, given annually to the nation's top passer, throwing for 3,591 yards and 26 touchdowns, while running for 312 yards and five touchdowns.

In his career, Davis set school career records for touchdown passes (74), passing yards (9,233), passing attempts (1,124), pass completions (678), 250-yard passing games (20) and 300-yard passing games (9). His 74 career touchdown passes rank fifth in MAC history behind Chad Pennington and Ben Roethlisberger. Davis also compiled 499 rushing yards for 10 TDs while at Ball State.

Davis had a career year in 2007, being named the team's MVP after throwing for 3,667 yards and 30 touchdowns. He finished second in the MAC and 15th nationally, averaging 300.3 yards of total offense per game. As a true freshman in 2006, he ranked fifth among MAC freshmen all-time as he threw for 1,975 yards and tied the school record with 18 touchdown passes in a single season.

The 22-year-old Davis is a native of Bellaire, OH. He becomes the fifth of the 49ers seven 2009 draft picks to sign with the team.
pimp.gif

Right now, Shaun Hill >_____
I wish that singletary would just give him the starting job, he has earned it. Hill has proved it ON THE FIELD that he is worthy of starting.
He can be a rich gannon type player.
A player that isn't incredibly athletic or talented, who nonetheless gets the job done.

Originally Posted by 92

pimp.gif

Right now, Shaun Hill >_____
I wish that singletary would just give him the starting job, he has earned it. Hill has proved it ON THE FIELD that he is worthy of starting.
He can be a rich gannon type player.
A player that isn't incredibly athletic or talented, who nonetheless gets the job done.

I'm not trying to diss Shaun Hill...but I don't see him having an impact on the Niners the way Rich Gannon did for the Raiders...that wasmore the player fitting into the perfect scheme then anything if you ask me

and Rich Gannon was pretty athletic...not Steve Young athletic, but he could make some moves...til he almost broke his neck
laugh.gif

Running back Glen Coffee, the 49ers' third-round draft pick, signed a four-year contract on the eve of reporting date that includes a signing bonus of a little less than $828,250.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Running back Glen Coffee, the 49ers' third-round draft pick, signed a four-year contract on the eve of reporting date that includes a signing bonus of a little less than $828,250.

That boy better be the backup to Gore that we've been looking for all this time. Now that he signed that signing bonus, he actually has bust potential
smh.gif

Originally Posted by BeatJunkie5

I'm not trying to diss Shaun Hill...but I don't see him having an impact on the Niners the way Rich Gannon did for the Raiders...that was more the player fitting into the perfect scheme then anything if you ask me

and Rich Gannon was pretty athletic...not Steve Young athletic, but he could make some moves...til he almost broke his neck
laugh.gif
He lettered in basketball, baseball and track and was a three-time All-SEK 1st-team choice in basketball. As a team captain in hoops, he earned All-State honors 3 years and guided the team to the state tournament as a sophomore and senior. Hill also qualified for the state track meet as a senior.
From his Wikipedia article, I know not the best source but I also read this in an article the other day that I can't find. The track event hequalified for was the 100m, I remember that.

Despite his bloated appearance, he really is a great athlete.

Back
Top Bottom