Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

zak keasey was more of a mike martz guy, i like him, but i dont think hes that big enough bruiser that we need.

but i know neal helped mcclain and mcgahee when he was in bmore, im sure his body is breaking down, but a 1yr deal wont hurt if he still got gas in the tank.

he does seem like a perfect fit.

man whatever happened to good old Fred Beasley...

dude just fell off big time. that guy was vicious.

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

Raye speaks: He and Singletary share "grunt" philosophy

I finally tracked down the new offensive coordinator of the 49ers, Jimmy Raye II, at his home in New York. Raye was nice enough to spend a few minutes with me on the phone. He first of all confirmed that he indeed has accepted the job. He has not officially signed any documents, so the 49ers have not yet announced the hiring.

I asked Raye about the interview he had Wednesday with Mike Singletary: "The interview was very good," he said. "It was our first face-to-face encounter after logging untold hours on the telephone talking back and forth. Mike has a clear vision of what he's trying to do." Raye said Singletary first got in touch with him soon after the regular season ended. Which is to say, Raye was not a last-minute candidate despite having his first face-to-face interview Wednesday. (Yeah Right)
eyes.gif

I asked Raye about how Singletary communicated that vision to him: "He wants a tough-minded football team. He's a middle linebacker that understands the grunt part of the game, the briar patch if you will. He wanted to find someone with a similar vision."

I asked Raye about the personnel he'll inherit in San Francisco. He said he was still studying that group and that he would fly back to Santa Clara next week to immerse himself in film study in preparation for the scouting combine. He did say that he thinks the 49ers are somewhat similar to the Kansas City Chiefs squads he coached a decade ago. In fact, that seems to be the model both he and Singletary are using. "I'm hopeful of that. I don't know if I can compare a Vernon Davis to a Tony Gonzalez because I haven't seen (Davis) yet. I know he has a tremendous upside. Hopefully he is. We will try to see if that's a fit for him. Frank Gore seems like he has the capability to carry the ball 25 times (a game). Now (fullback) Tony Richardson - we don't have that player or that body right now in the building. But I think we'll find that guy."

Raye said his offense would marry the one Norv Turner, his boss in Oakland, ran in San Francisco in 2006 and the one he ran in Kansas City. "I think it would be a part of that," he said of Turner's system. "It would be a combination of that and what I did as a coordinator in Kansas City with Elvis Grbac and Tony Gonzalez and Tony Richardson and the players I had there." Both men are disciples of the Zampese digit-system, so Raye said he thought quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith would be somewhat familiar with the language since they used it in 2006. "There should be some continuity. Norv and I come out of the same three-digit school."

I mentioned that the 49ers don't have a true fullback on the roster: "Might need a big, square-backed guy who can go in and bloody some noses," Raye said. (Tom Rathman probably likes that description).

I asked if he had ever talked to Turner about Alex Smith: "Yeah, I talked to him this morning. I've talked to him a lot about Alex. He was very high on him. He qualified that with 'As long you do the things that (Smith) can do.' Now what those things are is something I have to find out."

I asked Raye whether he has ever worked with quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson. He said he has not, although he's talked to him at combines, Senior Bowls, etc. Again, the connection is Turner. Johnson and Turner worked on the same Chargers staff in 2001.

Here's a quick look at those K.C. teams from a decade ago. These, by the way, are the best offenses that Raye has led over his career:

1998: 19th overall (16th passing, 23rd rushing)
1999: 12th overall (22nd passing, 4th rushing)
2000: 8th overall (5th passing, 25th rushing)
Next season, is gonna be a long 16 games...
tired.gif

How does one's offense totally flip rankings in a span of one season?

Originally Posted by ReliantJ

Originally Posted by bright nikes

hey guys how do you feel about Lorenzo Neal as our FB?

i believe hes a FA.
What about "white boy dreads"?
frown.gif
i remember him getting popped and fumbling the ball one game. I don't think he's too physical to be a fb. Whenever i saw him in the gamehe seemed to get moved around pretty easily. Word to Michael Robinson! 145 LBS goal line back
laugh.gif

Addressing some key questions as the San Francisco 49ers get ready for the meat of the NFL offseason...

What can fans expect from new coordinator Jimmy Raye's offense next season?

The good news for San Francisco fans is that Raye has been in coaching for a long time. You don't last as a coach in the NFL for as long as Raye has unless you're doing something right. Unfortunately, Raye has also bounced around a lot during his tenure in the league, having been a coordinator with six different teams over a 12-year period. As the running backs coach for the past three years with the New York Jets, Raye helped lead the team to ninth overall in rushing yards per game last season, 19th in 2007 and 20th in '06. As O-coordinator for the Oakland Raiders in 2004 and 2005, Raye guided them to 21st and 17th, respectively, in total yards per game. With the Washington ******** in 2001, Raye's offense was 28th in the league. Those are hardly the kind of numbers that will make San Francisco fans leap for joy.

Which free agent wide receivers should the Niners consider?

No 49er wideout gained 1,000 yards last season, and leader Isaac Bruce only caught seven touchdown passes. Bruce is also not getting any younger, and it is difficult to believe that he will continue to be able to put up leading receiver numbers. The NFL draft is a good avenue for addressing future needs, but it is foolish to think that San Francisco can grab a receiver who will immediately make a big impact next season. With that said, here are some of the top free agent WRs who might be viable options for the 49ers:

1. Antonio Bryant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 83 receptions, 1,248 yards, seven touchdowns.
2. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Cincinnati Bengals - 92 receptions, 904 yards, four TDs.
3. Michael Jenkins, Atlanta Falcons - 50 receptions, 777 yards, three TDs.

Is Shaun Hill the Man for Mike Singletary at quarterback next season?

Hill put up good numbers last season, throwing for 2,046 yards, 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions. But Hill is yet to play an entire NFL season and is still an unproven commodity. San Francisco may indeed draft a quarterback in April, but that won't help next season. How about free agency again? Here are a few of the options at the position:

1. Matt Cassel, New England Patriots - 3,693 yards, 21 TDs and 11 interceptions earned Cassel the franchise tag in New England. The Pats are likely to trade him if Tom Brady is healthy.
2. Jeff Garcia, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 2,712 yards, 12 TDs and six INTs.
3. Kerry Collins, Tennessee Titans - 2,676 yards, 12 TDs and seven INTs.

I say we just leave Hill at QB and let him get one full season... He finished the season on a good note, therefore lets see how he does with a full trainingcamp and full season... Working on our defense is more of a priority...

Yup, use that money elsewhere (defense, oline, wr)

If Sing deserves a full year, he owes it to Shaun Hill for coming to work everyday competing to finally get his opportunity.

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

I say we just leave Hill at QB and let him get one full season... He finished the season on a good note, therefore lets see how he does with a full training camp and full season... Working on our defense is more of a priority...
I agree, maybe we can draft Nate Davis out of Ball St. or Hunter Cantwell out of Louisville on day 2 and develop them down the road. Both havedecent size, arm strength, accuracy and mechanics, seem like they'd be nice pick ups to me.

As for free agency we should sign Darren Sproles (thinking of a Gore/sproles 1-2 punch on that "thunder and lightning" philosophy.) On defense weneed to sure up our line. Maybe Peppers, or Haynesworth(
laugh.gif
I know itsreaching.) I dont really see our secondary in too bad of shape, any secondary would get chewed up as ours did w/o a solid pass rush. and as for a wideout weshould shoot for Housh, but I could see us drafting one late and maybe adding Malcolm Floyd (good size for a wideout) or Devery Henderson for a deep threats.Doubt we'd make a run at Q being that hes an in-conference wideout. Should be interesting nonetheless.

Originally Posted by ReliantJ

Originally Posted by bright nikes

hey guys how do you feel about Lorenzo Neal as our FB?

i believe hes a FA.
What about "white boy dreads"?
frown.gif

There's no way I will be happy with even a slight thought of the departure of THE Pride Of Princeton: Zak Keasey.

Originally Posted by kixofrinic

I say we just leave Hill at QB and let him get one full season... He finished the season on a good note, therefore lets see how he does with a full training camp and full season... Working on our defense is more of a priority...
I agree, maybe we can draft Nate Davis out of Ball St. or Hunter Cantwell out of Louisville on day 2 and develop them down the road. Both have decent size, arm strength, accuracy and mechanics, seem like they'd be nice pick ups to me.

As for free agency we should sign Darren Sproles (thinking of a Gore/sproles 1-2 punch on that "thunder and lightning" philosophy.) On defense we need to sure up our line. Maybe Peppers, or Haynesworth(
laugh.gif
I know its reaching.) I dont really see our secondary in too bad of shape, any secondary would get chewed up as ours did w/o a solid pass rush. and as for a wideout we should shoot for Housh, but I could see us drafting one late and maybe adding Malcolm Floyd (good size for a wideout) or Devery Henderson for a deep threats. Doubt we'd make a run at Q being that hes an in-conference wideout. Should be interesting nonetheless.
Niners secondary is pretty terrible. Michael Lewis and Mark Roman did nothing this past season along with Nate Clements. They need a far moreaggressive safety...We'll wait and see.

Is Takeo come back for another year?

Well, Tully Banta-Cain and Keith Lewis just got cut.

Jonas Jennings might be on his way out as well.

Im going to SF for the first time at the end of April
pimp.gif
... Anything involving the 49ers I can attend or check out besides the stadium? Like any tours orsome *@+!?

Im so hyped...

Jim Trotter is on ESPN First Take said the 49ers not likely to draft a QB with No. 10 pick.

That guaranteed $24M to alex smith has made them gunshy ... 49ers might look into O-line.

pimp.gif
... Anything involving the 49ers I can attend or check out besides the stadium? Like any tours or some *@+!?

Im so hyped...
I don't believe there are any tours of Candlestick. That place is a not nice.

pimp.gif
... Anything involving the 49ers I can attend or check out besides the stadium? Like any tours or some *@+!?

Im so hyped...
49er Headquarters is over in Santa Clara, but I'm not sure if you can get in or not.

yeah, candlestick is NOT nice. But i guess if you wanna go there for the "history" of it then...that'd be cool. (would they let you in?)

jennings about to get cut?
eek.gif
i can't wait for that day.

Ill see what I can do when I go over there... I went to the giant/49ers in October... There was some drunk guy yelling at Jennings for like 5 minutes andJennings was getting tight... Saying that he should be ashamed of his position
laugh.gif
Stupid story but it was funny seeing Jennings reaction...

Candlestick @%*+#%* sucks if you don't consider the history behind it, etc. I hate that place, the parking is horrible and it's just a dump. I knowthat you just have to compensate and leave earlier, etc. but that should never happen at such a big facility like that. I've only been to one game inperson, and because I didn't know how early you had to be there I missed half the game because of traffic and *#*!%+#$ parking. I won't be going againuntil they get a new stadium, wherever it may be.

Originally Posted by acidicality

Candlestick @%*+#%* sucks if you don't consider the history behind it, etc. I hate that place, the parking is horrible and it's just a dump. I know that you just have to compensate and leave earlier, etc. but that should never happen at such a big facility like that. I've only been to one game in person, and because I didn't know how early you had to be there I missed half the game because of traffic and *#*!%+#$ parking. I won't be going again until they get a new stadium, wherever it may be.
laugh.gif

ot truly is though.
place even smells like garbage. that's what you get for building on a landfill.

I hate leaving that place. No matter how long I stay after the game post tailgating, I am pretty much guaranteed to be stuck in traffic for about an hour and ahalf.

HEADS UP

the niners are holding a "State of the Franchise" thingy today at 7:00pm (i think?). You can peep the live stream at 49ers.com.
should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom