Official San Francisco 49ers Off-Season Thread (5-7): Let's get ready for the Draft!

Guess I have no choice but to give dude a shot.

But we could be in the same position next off-season looking for our 7 or 8th OC in as many years
smh.gif

Warriors get blown out. More Barry bashing by the world. Our next OC might as well have been my 11 year old sister. I was on pace to have the best round of mylife and I shot a 9 on the 18th. Incredible sports day. #%+* ME!!!!!!!

just to put into perspective on what kind of offense jimmy raye will run ... mind you hostler named raye as one of his mentors ......
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I wonder what Raye had that Jackson didn't have...I don't care if Raye had more experience...If he had a losing track record...How will it be good?

And the push to turn the 9ers in to the west coast ravens keeps on rolling
f4c251ce24ba7af448b2d8e7fe85f0b59840654.gif

Oh well, next up...Free Agency! Hopefully we spend some $$$ and get some help

And Ive been saying it for months now.....lets get TJ!!!!
Let's NOT and say we did. At best TJ is nothing more than a #2 receiver for any team in the league. He's just your normal slot receiverthat just to happens to have benefited from being on the same team as another solid receiver.....word to Wes Welker. Not to mention as someone stated earlier,dude is 30 if not older, wants a huge contract, and to make matters worse dude still rocks that ridiculous pony tail, that's not the kind of guy we want onour team. If the front office is going to spend money just to spend money I would rather them spend it on the O-line, D-line, or a legitimate #1 receiver inthat order.

As far as Jimmy Raye goes, I am somewhat disappointed in that selection, but we got no choice now but to cheer him on as he tries to improve this team.

No O.C. wanted to come here because Singletary puts so much emphasis on the running game.

Running the ball is great, but we need better linemen to help Gore out. I know all of you remember the 3 and out's last season when the Niners gotrun-happy.

How dumb is it to get rid of Martz and not have someone already waiting to take the job? I swear, there are absolute idiots that run this organization, maketheir living, and most of them can be replaced by everyday Joe's who will do a better job.

Originally Posted by Dr 715

No O.C. wanted to come here because Singletary puts so much emphasis on the running game.

Running the ball is great, but we need better linemen to help Gore out. I know all of you remember the 3 and out's last season when the Niners got run-happy.

How dumb is it to get rid of Martz and not have someone already waiting to take the job? I swear, there are absolute idiots that run this organization, make their living, and most of them can be replaced by everyday Joe's who will do a better job.
While I agree it was stupid to fire martz and not have his replacement in place, I seriously doubt Sing has people running away from the OC job,Scot "Two face" Linehan turned the job down to go to the lions. Which is a good move for him because he cannot fail in that job because no matter howgood or bad he is there it cant be as bad as the last guy.

The Problem w/ the 9ers is that after offering the job to linehan and having it leak to the papers they had no fall back plan in case he said no. Theres no wayhe should have left the building without a signed contract. Once he said let me think about it they should have come up w/ a plan B. The other guys heinterviewed all got jobs while they were hiding and trying to figure out what to do next after 2face dipped to detriot.

I dont like the OC hire but common sense dictates that he's gonna have to pass more because all teams are gonna target gore, plus unless we get safety helpwe'll be playing from behind anyway.

Originally Posted by acidicality

sorry but this was the first thing that popped into my head...

Haha i stole your thought and emailed it to the Razor and Mister T and they played this song before the segment with Matt Maioco on the discussion of JimmyRaye II, and Matt said "What a great song for a lead in"� and Tom had enough of that song haha

dont know much about raye, but he seems like a proven bum. for as long as he's been in the league, he has never coached (OC) a team in the playoffs.
....just something a rookie head coach with limited offensive background needs.

I understand coach sing wants to play "smashmouth" and go run heavy...but is this team even capable of it? they dont seem like a physical team atall.
Gore isn't a power back nor is the line big enough to push anyone around.

laugh.gif
all the articles off 49erwebzone and comments from analysts from the superbowl are really scratching their heads at this move.

49ers settled, they had no plan after firing Martz - now Martz is laughing his #!% off.

Raye speaks: He and Singletary share "grunt" philosophy

I finally tracked down the new offensive coordinator of the 49ers, Jimmy Raye II, at his home in New York. Raye was nice enough to spend a few minutes with me on the phone. He first of all confirmed that he indeed has accepted the job. He has not officially signed any documents, so the 49ers have not yet announced the hiring.

I asked Raye about the interview he had Wednesday with Mike Singletary: "The interview was very good," he said. "It was our first face-to-face encounter after logging untold hours on the telephone talking back and forth. Mike has a clear vision of what he's trying to do." Raye said Singletary first got in touch with him soon after the regular season ended. Which is to say, Raye was not a last-minute candidate despite having his first face-to-face interview Wednesday. (Yeah Right)
eyes.gif

I asked Raye about how Singletary communicated that vision to him: "He wants a tough-minded football team. He's a middle linebacker that understands the grunt part of the game, the briar patch if you will. He wanted to find someone with a similar vision."

I asked Raye about the personnel he'll inherit in San Francisco. He said he was still studying that group and that he would fly back to Santa Clara next week to immerse himself in film study in preparation for the scouting combine. He did say that he thinks the 49ers are somewhat similar to the Kansas City Chiefs squads he coached a decade ago. In fact, that seems to be the model both he and Singletary are using. "I'm hopeful of that. I don't know if I can compare a Vernon Davis to a Tony Gonzalez because I haven't seen (Davis) yet. I know he has a tremendous upside. Hopefully he is. We will try to see if that's a fit for him. Frank Gore seems like he has the capability to carry the ball 25 times (a game). Now (fullback) Tony Richardson - we don't have that player or that body right now in the building. But I think we'll find that guy."

Raye said his offense would marry the one Norv Turner, his boss in Oakland, ran in San Francisco in 2006 and the one he ran in Kansas City. "I think it would be a part of that," he said of Turner's system. "It would be a combination of that and what I did as a coordinator in Kansas City with Elvis Grbac and Tony Gonzalez and Tony Richardson and the players I had there." Both men are disciples of the Zampese digit-system, so Raye said he thought quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith would be somewhat familiar with the language since they used it in 2006. "There should be some continuity. Norv and I come out of the same three-digit school."

I mentioned that the 49ers don't have a true fullback on the roster: "Might need a big, square-backed guy who can go in and bloody some noses," Raye said. (Tom Rathman probably likes that description).

I asked if he had ever talked to Turner about Alex Smith: "Yeah, I talked to him this morning. I've talked to him a lot about Alex. He was very high on him. He qualified that with 'As long you do the things that (Smith) can do.' Now what those things are is something I have to find out."

I asked Raye whether he has ever worked with quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson. He said he has not, although he's talked to him at combines, Senior Bowls, etc. Again, the connection is Turner. Johnson and Turner worked on the same Chargers staff in 2001.

Here's a quick look at those K.C. teams from a decade ago. These, by the way, are the best offenses that Raye has led over his career:

1998: 19th overall (16th passing, 23rd rushing)
1999: 12th overall (22nd passing, 4th rushing)
2000: 8th overall (5th passing, 25th rushing)

Next season, is gonna be a long 16 games...
tired.gif

[h1]49ers bring in Raye to lead offense[/h1]

The 49ers have hired former Jets running backs coach Jimmy Raye to be their offensive coordinator, multiple league sources said Wednesday night. Raye beat out Ravens quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson for the position.

San Francisco coach Mike Singletary initially offered the job to fired Rams coach Scott Linehan, but Linehan turned it down and ultimately accepted the same position with the Lions. Singletary then targeted Jackson and Raye.

Raye, 62, has 32 years of NFL coaching experience. He has been an offensive coordinator seven times, most recently the 2004 and '05 seasons with the Raiders.

The Niners also appointed Mike Johnson to be its quarterback coach. Johnson is a former assistant for the Ravens, Falcons and Chargers.

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
print
[/td] [/tr][/table]
January 29, 2009
The San Francisco 49ers announced today the signing of WR Maurice Price to a future contract. Terms of the contract were not announced by the team.

Price (6-1, 200) was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007 by the Kansas City Chiefs out of Charleston Southern. After suffering a shoulder injury during training camp his rookie season, Price was placed on Injured Reserve (8-27-07) by the Chiefs. He earned a roster spot on the Chiefs' 53-man roster entering the 2008 season and was inactive in the season-opener at New England (9-7). Price was then released by the Chiefs (9-11) and signed to the team's practice squad, where he remained for two games before being signed to the active roster of the New England Patriots (9-24). He was inactive at San Francisco (10-5) before being released by the Patriots (10-11) and signed to their practice squad (10-15). He spent the rest of the 2008 season on the practice squad of the Patriots.

[h5]
[/h5]
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/019080.html
Raye speaks: He and Singletary share "grunt" philosophy

I finally tracked down the new offensive coordinator of the 49ers, Jimmy Raye II, at his home in New York. Raye was nice enough to spend a few minutes with me on the phone. He first of all confirmed that he indeed has accepted the job. He has not officially signed any documents, so the 49ers have not yet announced the hiring.

I asked Raye about the interview he had Wednesday with Mike Singletary: "The interview was very good," he said. "It was our first face-to-face encounter after logging untold hours on the telephone talking back and forth. Mike has a clear vision of what he's trying to do." Raye said Singletary first got in touch with him soon after the regular season ended. Which is to say, Raye was not a last-minute candidate despite having his first face-to-face interview Wednesday.

I asked Raye about how Singletary communicated that vision to him: "He wants a tough-minded football team. He's a middle linebacker that understands the grunt part of the game, the briar patch if you will. He wanted to find someone with a similar vision."

I asked Raye about the personnel he'll inherit in San Francisco. He said he was still studying that group and that he would fly back to Santa Clara next week to immerse himself in film study in preparation for the scouting combine. He did say that he thinks the 49ers are somewhat similar to the Kansas City Chiefs squads he coached a decade ago. In fact, that seems to be the model both he and Singletary are using. "I'm hopeful of that. I don't know if I can compare a Vernon Davis to a Tony Gonzalez because I haven't seen (Davis) yet. I know he has a tremendous upside. Hopefully he is. We will try to see if that's a fit for him. Frank Gore seems like he has the capability to carry the ball 25 times (a game). Now (fullback) Tony Richardson - we don't have that player or that body right now in the building. But I think we'll find that guy."

Raye said his offense would marry the one Norv Turner, his boss in Oakland, ran in San Francisco in 2006 and the one he ran in Kansas City. "I think it would be a part of that," he said of Turner's system. "It would be a combination of that and what I did as a coordinator in Kansas City with Elvis Grbac and Tony Gonzalez and Tony Richardson and the players I had there." Both men are disciples of the Zampese digit-system, so Raye said he thought quarterbacks Shaun Hill and Alex Smith would be somewhat familiar with the language since they used it in 2006. "There should be some continuity. Norv and I come out of the same three-digit school."

I mentioned that the 49ers don't have a true fullback on the roster: "Might need a big, square-backed guy who can go in and bloody some noses," Raye said. (Tom Rathman probably likes that description).

I asked if he had ever talked to Turner about Alex Smith: "Yeah, I talked to him this morning. I've talked to him a lot about Alex. He was very high on him. He qualified that with 'As long you do the things that (Smith) can do.' Now what those things are is something I have to find out."

I asked Raye whether he has ever worked with quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson. He said he has not, although he's talked to him at combines, Senior Bowls, etc. Again, the connection is Turner. Johnson and Turner worked on the same Chargers staff in 2001.

Here's a quick look at those K.C. teams from a decade ago. These, by the way, are the best offenses that Raye has led over his career:

1998: 19th overall (16th passing, 23rd rushing)
1999: 12th overall (22nd passing, 4th rushing)
2000: 8th overall (5th passing, 25th rushing)

In other news, the 49ers announced they have signed WR Maurice Price to a future contract. Price (6-1, 200) was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007 by the Chiefs out of Charleston Southern. he had a spot on the Chiefs' 53-man roster entering the 2008 season and was inactive in the season-opener at New England (9-7). Price was then released by the Chiefs (9-11) and signed to the team's practice squad, where he remained for two games before being signed to the active roster of the New England Patriots (9-24). He was inactive at San Francisco (10-5) before being released by the Patriots (10-11) and signed to their practice squad (10-15). He spent the rest of the 2008 season on the practice squad of the Patriots.

laugh.gif
@ Rayes record in KC, i'm just really confused rightnow.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/019102.html
Singletary to staff: You decide

Very interesting KNBR interview yesterday with Jim Trotter, the SI reporter who, along with Adam Schefter, broke the news about the Jimmy Raye hire Wednesday evening. According to Trotter, before Mike Singletary made his final choice for offensive coordinator, he brought the two finalists, Raye and Hue Jackson, and had them sit down and talk football with the rest of his assistants, both offensive and defensive. After the session, Singletary then asked the assistants to make a choice. According to Trotter, it was unanimous in favor of Raye.

This seems to be vintage Singletary. His management style, one that was effective late in the season, is one of ownership. That is, he has the people involved, in this case his assistants, buy into the decisions that are being made. It reminds me of the late-season game in St. Louis during which Shaun Hill was struggling mightily and was nearly benched for J.T. O'Sullivan. Following the near benching, Singletary brought Hill to the sideline, gathered the rest of the offensive players around the quarterback and said, "You guys figure this out." Then he walked away. The approach was the polar opposite of Mike Nolan's micromanagement style. And it also was effective. Hill and the 49ers scored two late-game touchdowns and enjoyed a last-minute win over the Rams.

If this is true, I feel slightly better about the hire.

I guess we shall give Raye a chance ....

I hope we use our 10th on a defensive player.

Lets see what direction the team goes.

haha...i decided to look at some mock drafts for fun and the first one i clicked on...

[table][tr][td]
475099.jpg
[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]DT, B. J. Raji, Boston College[/td] [td]Raji is a monster at 6' 1" 330 pounds. He gets a great push on the inside and in 2008 he recorded 11 tackles for loss (TFLs) and 6.5 sacks.[/td] [/tr][/table]

nerd.gif

seriously this dude is a freakin monster.

he'll need double teams, and open up holes for our LB

has he declined since leaving the chargers? he seems to fit in well with what we want from the run game.

Back
Top Bottom