:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [2-2 vs Cardinals 10/07 1:05PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:wow: NFC West is pretty open for the taking Hopefully 49ers stay in the hunt to make this season fun.. I’m pretty glad they are competing and they are watchable again

this could just be "1st month of season overreactions" but starting to feel like the Rams could take this division :wow:

And they could do it by just going 8-8 too.

A loss is a loss but it was nice seeing the team put up some points compared to how anemic the offense looked the first two games.

Was seriously starting to ponder how "much" better Hoyer is than Kap/Sunshine but at least he showed a pulse vs the Rams after the stupid *** first series INT.

These ain't the same old sorry *** Rams.

McVay and his faux hawk coaching up Goff, Watkins, Gurley and Kupp. They've got a legit offense.

giphy.webp

giphy.gif

We've got the right people leading the team. We just need one or two free agencys and good drafts, and we're back in business, baby. We're close, fam. We're close.

Bruce Arians is right — the 49ers' Kyle Shanahan can really coach

Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said something this week about the 49ers that got me thinking.

“(They’re) a lot more like when Jimmy was there,” Arians said on a conference call with Bay Area reporters, referring to the Jim Harbaugh era. “They’ve got an excellent offensive scheme that’s a proven winner.”

While I disagree a little, I do understand what he was trying to convey. Arians also was the one who openly bashed the 49ers when they fired (err, mutually departed from Harbaugh) back in 2014. So, for Kyle Shanahan to gain the praise of this old-school coach, it holds more meaning that just a random innocuous comment.

Let me translate the Arians coach speak for you:

This Shanahan kid can coach. The stuff this team is putting on tape is impressive. It’s worked forever around the league. Reminds me of the last guy they had in the organization who was worth a damn, unlike the clown show that’s taken place the last two seasons.

He basically compared Shanahan’s 49ers to the Harbaugh teams. Which is pretty bold praise considering Kyle hasn’t won a game yet.

But the young Shanahan doesn’t remind me of Jim Harbaugh at all, and that might just be good thing for the 49ers.

Don’t get me wrong, I am one of the leaders in the Harbaugh fan club. He’s truly exceptional at his job. No one was more equipped in 2011 than Harbaugh to save the York family. It was the perfect fit. A talent maximizer on a roster loaded with talent. Looking back the outcome was basically predetermined. He was going to win big. It shouldn’t have been as shocking as it was.

That's why no one should be shocked Harbaugh is winning at Michigan. He wins. That’s what he does.

I think he’ll win a national championship. Maybe a couple. He’ll probably win a Super Bowl one day as well.

But in 2017 the 49ers were talent void and a public-relations nightmare.

Shanahan has been a breath a fresh air in an organization that might be a year away from being a year away. His candid approach has been something the 49ers were desperate for. His press conferences are the opposite of the Harbaugh era, when guarding team secrets was treated like nuclear codes.

Don’t get me wrong, press conferences don’t mean much in the grand scheme of things, especially when you are winning like Harbaugh did. But in this organization, which desperately needed a dose of humility, the 49ers received it from a young coach who has been more than likeable from the jump.

But it’s not just talk, he’s proving he can coach. Like Arians said, his offensive scheme works.

Kyle put on a coaching clinic last Thursday night. After Shanahan's quarterback opened the game with what essentially turned out be a pick-six (Todd Gurley scored on the next play), Brian Hoyer went on to have one of the better games of his career. Hoyer looked like a legitimate NFL quarterback. Say that out loud twice. That actually happened. In a prime-time game. Seriously, it did happen, right?

Imagine what Shanahan would do with a good quarterback?

Oh wait, we know: his name is Matt Ryan. He won the MVP last season.

Shanahan clearly knows what he’s doing. But it’s not just the scheme, it’s his readiness to run the show — something Harbaugh excels at.

That was my other big takeaway in the game against first-year Rams coach Sean McVay. I am more confident after the loss the 49ers have the better coach.

I’ve heard from people around the 49ers that McVay’s interview was awesome. If Shanahan would not have been an option, there is a good chance that Jed York and company would have offered McVay the job. Now there is no guarantee McVay would have chosen the 49ers over the Rams. But given his family ties, and the historic significance of the franchise, I would have expected McVay to be the 49ers coach if the money was equal.

I never liked the thought of hiring a 30-year-old for this 49ers situation (McVay turned 31 weeks after he landed the Rams job). Too much dysfunction, too much pressure, and just too much on the line this time around.

The 49ers needed someone who had been around the block and was ready. Even though Kyle had never been a head coach, he’d proven to be as ready as any young assistant could be.

I’m not sure the same can be said for McVay. As we saw last Thursday, the Rams coach had to sit on a water cooler, gathering his thoughts while the defense was on the field. Not once, but every series. I’ve never seen this before, and as they said on the broadcast, he’s done it every game. For McVay to feel comfortable calling plays, he had to get some alone time on the sidelines.

I don’t necessarily blame him for this; many of us need time to settle down and think when big things are going on. But in the NFL, the coach is paid a premium to be able to handle everything. All at once. It’s why the job is so difficult. The 49ers needed someone who could call plays, and actually watch the defense play. That’s part of being a head coach.

I would crush Shanahan if he sat on a water cooler every defensive series by himself at Levi's Stadium. I don’t care how good his offense looked. I literally would sell all my stock, and right now I own a decent amount. I’d be arguing you might as well just have hired him to be the offensive coordinator and have made some figurehead the lead guy.

Things have started well in Los Angeles, and McVay can really call plays, but his defensive unit has to already know he has no clue what they are doing. That will ultimately come back to bite him if he can’t adapt. The coach isn’t supposed to isolate himself, he is supposed to lead the group. Not just half the guys, but the entire team.

I’m not sure it would be possible for me to be more bullish on a coach that is winless, but I am. Shanahan has proven he can call plays, his teams look well prepared on both sides of the ball, and they play really hard. Let’s face it, this team is not going to win many games this season, but I don’t think anyone would. Despite that, what Bruce Arians said was dead on — the 49ers have themselves a legitimate coach.

Back
Top Bottom