:::[Official] San Francisco 49ers 2024 Season Thread [2-2 vs Cardinals 10/07 1:05PST]:::

Should UnicornHunter’s faithful card be revoked for his blasphemous Patrick Willis comments?

• Yes permanently

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Yes temporarily

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
love watching Los play, but he can't stay healthy to save his life :{

Draft his replacement. This draft is loaded. Harris is nice but fumbles, Draugn is a gokd third option and Mike Davis, no faith in him. Dances too much

i know he punched a *****, but i have a massive draft crush on joe mixon. 
embarassed.gif

jamaal williams is another guy i love.

Last edited:
it's starting to get scary. kyle shanahan has all the leverage. if dude tells jed to **** himself, we are so ******.

if they hire cable, not only will we get a terrible head coach, but we'll get a terrible GM as well.

Last edited:
I wish the two dudes from GB could come in as a team and Shanahan would be the HC. Dream scenario with our remaining options

that's 1b for me, so i am good with that too

Red,

So it seems universal sentiment that Shanny is our best option now but your previous posts make it seem this current roster isn't really a fit for what he would implement.

Are you saying this would be the right hire long term (if he truly gets a long window to rebuild) but that we'd probably need to take a few steps even more backward to get the right personnel in here and that we're gonna have a lot of square pegs that don't fit in the round holes type of players currently if Shanny gets the job?

Last edited:
The defense depends entirely on who he hires as a coordinator.

the offense, however, will need major rehaul because of the OL. Kyle needs guys that are light, nimble and athletic. The only guys who are fits currently on this roster are staley, kilgore and beadles. 

kyle shanahan's entire offense is based on the stretch run aka the outside zone, and unlike chip's inside zone, the outside zone requires more lateral agility and mobility by its linemen. you can see here that everyone fires off the ball horizontally. it is more east-west; in football terms, it requires the ability to execute reach and combo blocks on the move.

brownsmisd.gif

the bootleg is a big part of the Shanahana offense. The stretch run gets the defense flowing in one direction, which subsequently allows for the offense to do a multitude of things in the other direction.

here you can see the difference in the inside zone blocking in this gif. the linemen fire in more of a north-south'ish manner. trent brown and josh garnett could get by in the inside zone because there was more of a drive blocking(blocking moving forward) component to it and the mobility required was relatively limited.

the OL is the most important position group in Kyle's offense. Everything is predicated on their ability to effectively run the stretch game.

Garnett and Trent better hop on a treadmill if Shanny gets the job, or they could find themselves playing elsewhere. Losing weight should help improve their athleticism and agility, but there's no guarantee he'll keep them around.

Last edited:
^ Thanks as always for the analysis.

Wow, that's a dang shame then if we have to blow up the promising talent we have on the O-line then if that ends up being the case.

Also noticed I haven't seen too many o-linemen at the top of the mock drafts yet if I recall correctly.

Is this year's class pretty meh? Or are there some guys we'd potentially take a look at spending early pick on in light of potentially having to overhaul the o-line?

I think the 2 young bucks can make it work, but they'll need to drop weight. They both have good athleticism, but they carry excessive body fat. Garnett should be fine if he can drop about ~15 lbs; Brown, on the other hand, has to drop about 50-60 pounds. 
sick.gif

Last edited:
he can do it if he busts his ***. he's carrying a significant amount of body fat right now.

You right though we pretty ****** as far as major changes in offensive and defensive scheme go.

We really have put ourselves thru it lately tho. Still a few Harbaugh players lingering around, still a few Tomfoola guys, a few Dip Kelly guys, its no surprise our team has no identity when we changing our identity to match that of a different HC every season. 

Best case: Shannahan hires a defensive coordinator who knows the 3-4? 

this is the falcons version of trent brown: ryan schraeder

he's 6'7" and 300 lbs. notice the difference in body composition. more lean body mass than fat.

Quick, mobile offensive lineman who have the ability to pull on trap plays and roll outs designed to get QB's outside the pocket to make plays and establish a man disadvantage with the defense, essentially making the defense adjust to you while taking what the defense gives you...and precisely timed passing and variable formations - these are all basic pillars of Bill Walsh's "west coast offense."

We used to have nimble and agile O-linemen such as Jesse Sapolu, Harris Barton, Guy McIntyre, Randy Cross, Bubba Paris, and Steve Wallace who would constantly pull on sweeps and tosses in order to get the defense on its heels and create mismatches where linebackers were forced to cover faster receivers and it was a thing of beauty to watch. They were also big and strong enough to push defensive lineman forward and blow defenders off the line of scrimmage, creating a balance on offense unlike any other.

I miss those days when watching 49er football was nothing but precision timing, and if Jed is really serious about winning it would benefit him to get a true Bill Walsh disciple to completely rebuild this once proud organization and bring the excitement back.

Last edited:
alex boone is another guy who came into the league like trent brown with a similar-size frame. he worked his *** off, recomped his body and got paid.

Back
Top Bottom