***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The narrative that you continue pushing is that currently the people earning well over the average American income are the ones who need the most help will never make sense to me.

The narrative you keep pushing that this wouldn’t also benefit those people by making college free for them also does not make sens

You keep selectively ignoring that point

The narrative that you continue pushing is that currently the people earning well over the average American income are the ones who need the most help will never make sense to me.
You are a liar

I never said anything close to that.

Please, quote me saying this

You are just making **** up at this point to give your argument legs.

So please, miss with this

pss4jsxwn7y51.png

I agree with this in theory however the reality is that you are still making a personal decision to go to college and obligate yourself to a loan in order to do so. Does that hold no merit?

I don't see the argument against a federal loan forgiveness program though.

Is it just a "you made your bed" mentality?

This would do that though. You are arguing against it because people who made a choice would benefit from it

I think we got lost in all of the replies. I agree with reform and free education for all. I do not agree with the stance a few in this thread have taken when it comes to eliminating previous loans.

Pretending that someone who is collage educated and in debt is more of a strain on the economy and our tax dollars over the non educated poverty stricken ones does not make a lot of sense.

This is exactly my entire argument against forgiving formerly accumulated student loans.

LMAO!

Y'all arguing with THAT?

Keep it pushin with no RAGRETS :rofl:

I think we got lost in all of the replies. I agree with reform and free education for all. I do not agree with the stance a few in this thread have taken when it comes to eliminating previous loans.

There are only two paths to do this. One, congress passes a bill that makes college free for everyone. Not going to happen with current Congress.

Or two, an executive action that tells the DOE to stop collecting on federal student loans. By doing the latter of the two, you are effectively creating free college by allowing future generations to take out student loans and not have the amount collected by the DOE. This helps both the current generation and future generations, but is likely the only path that something like this would get done. So it’s either say **** everyone, nothing gets done and we continue on an untenable path and wait for congress, or we implement an imperfect solution that benefits everyone broadly except those that have already paid off their loans (people like me).

I’d rather that take option 2 and use an imperfect solution to solve an issue for many even if it doesn’t benefit me.

You seem to be on the path of telling everyone to **** off because you never benefited from it, but potentially could as soon as 90 days from now. It’s not an either or option. This is the only way something like this gets done with our current congressional makeup.

Reactions: MVP
I don't see the argument against a federal loan forgiveness program though.

Is it just a "you made your bed" mentality?
This is what it comes down to for me, when I was applying for college I was well aware that as it stands rn college is not free as well as that my choice of major could greatly impact my ability to be employed. Folks in here are mentioning “society pressures you to go to colleg”, sure it does but nobody forces you to do so nor does anyone force you to obligate yourself to student loans. I think my greater point is that Americans should not make as many stupid financial decisions as we do. To me, this is also akin to the housing crash. Just bc a bank offered you a mortgage does not mean that it may be financially sound for you to obligate yourself to that mortgage.

So why not forgive medical debt?
Does the government own massive amounts of medical debt? Because if they do then forgive that **** too. And fix the system that causes it while you're at it. That's what people are arguing for. Give relief to those who need it now and fix the system so people won't need relief later. The more monetary freedom people have, the better the economy does. In this case a rising tide does lift all boats, including yours.

This is what it comes down to for me, when I was applying for college I was well aware that as it stands rn college is not free as well as that my choice of major could greatly impact my ability to be employed. Folks in here are mentioning “society pressures you to go to colleg”, sure it does but nobody forces you to do so nor does anyone force you to obligate yourself to student loans. I think my greater point is that Americans should not make as many stupid financial decisions as we do. To me, this is also akin to the housing crash. Just bc a bank offered you a mortgage does not mean that it may be financially sound for you to obligate yourself to that mortgage.
Please, let's not make excuses for predatory lenders

College is such a mess. I graduated high school with a decent GPA, 3.5ish. I scored above average on my SATs, but I knew my parents could not afford to pay for college and I did not want to be saddled with Student loans so I never applied to any out-of-state colleges or any of the more expensive universities in California. I went to a state school and got my Marketing degree but it still bothers me that I was somewhat forced to settle when I believe I could have gotten a better education/experience elsewhere. I’m all for forgiving student loans. I was lucky enough to be able to graduate without any loans or debt thanks to my highschool/college counselors guidance. Some of my friends are still paying off loans a decade after graduating with no end in sight. You shouldn’t have to choose between incredible debt or choosing the school of your choice.

I'm really not against you guys on this at all. I would love to see it happen, but what I don't like to see is everyone who is riding so hard to forgive debt for people who are already doing so much better then a lot of the average Americans.

Like I said before why not allow some restrictions on who can have debt forgiven? Seeing executives and people making $200k plus getting relief from student loans just does not sit well with me when those degrees are a major factor in why they are able to make what they do.

Back
Top Bottom