***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So what is your solution here? I’m suggesting pushing for centrism so that you can at least include right-leaning centrists. How else are Dems supposed to win a Senate majority again, especially if you consider the last time they had one was thanks in no small part to Blue Dog Dems.
Don’t think you get what I’m saying. The right has and will turn anything into an attacking talking point. That’s the point. Affordable healthcare, which is in the damn name, has been turned into a “leftist extremist” talking point. There’s no logic behind what they do

why are you wanting oneside to make sure the other stops doing something? Where’s the logic in that??

Last edited:
Don’t think you get what I’m saying. The right has and will turn anything into an attacking talking point. That’s the point. Affordable healthcare, which is in the damn name, has been turned into a “leftist extremist” talking point. There’s no logic behind what they do

why are you wanting oneside to make sure the other stops doing something? Where’s the logic in that??

I don’t think you get what I’m saying. You’re painting the right in broad strokes as if many right-leaning centrists didn’t vote for Biden and then GOP down ballot. The right and the left aren’t some monolithic groups of people who adhere firmly to ideologies (see Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden). There are levels to their members’ respective beliefs and I’m suggesting that for Democrats to grow a coalition to include centrists and moderates as they have to have the appeal to do so BUT they have to be strategic about it, especially in messaging. Curiously, what are your thoughts in the Blue Dog Democrats?

Well he already has his own separate healthcare plan.... This case isn’t about the constitutionality of anything in the ACA. That was confirmed to be constitutional in 2012. This case is only about severability. Ironically, the Obama administration argued against severability when they defended the law in 2012.
Is you're opinion there is no real threat to the ACA with the severability issue moving forward and Biden's attempt to expand on its infrastructure? Genuine question

I don’t think you get what I’m saying. You’re painting the right in broad strokes as if many right-leaning centrists didn’t vote for Biden and then GOP down ballot. The right and the left aren’t some monolithic groups of people who adhere firmly to ideologies (see Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden). There are levels to their members’ respective beliefs and I’m suggesting that for Democrats to grow a coalition to include centrists and moderates as they have to have the appeal to do so BUT they have to be strategic about it, especially in messaging. Curiously, what are your thoughts in the Blue Dog Democrats?

it sucks for the Dems that that internal conflict between moderate Dems and Progressives exists. Because it’s very rare that the GOP breaks party ranks even if behind closed doors they can’t stand the candidate who ends up their party nominee, be it for President or on the senate level.

What works in some states and areas for the Dems isn’t feasible in other states and areas at the moment. I know Biden isn’t AOC’s cup of tea, but she would be better suited addressing whatever internal grievances she has behind closed doors within the party. The airing those out within your party approach is a Trumpian tactic.

What’s going to be interesting though if it happens within the next few Presidential elections is that if a progressive eventually wins the Democratic nomination, are they reaching out to the more moderate factions of the Democratic Party to try to gain their vote. They’ve never been in that position so while AOC makes some valid points at times about the establishment, it’s coming from a position where she’s never had to appeal to various aspects of the Democratic Party.

The GOP rarely breaks party ranks. This election was way closer than it should’ve been. Even with pedo Roy Moore in 2017 in Alabama that race was much more closer than it should be and he was a one term senator. The Dems haven’t had that luxury and it’s shown in the past in midterms and what have you.

Is you're opinion there is no real threat to the ACA with the severability issue moving forward and Biden's attempt to expand on its infrastructure? Genuine question
I personally don’t believe the court will strike it down. From my understanding the mandate component in only a financial issue and not a legal one. They’ll be able to show that the law has functioned for the past two years without a mandate. Although if it was that simple this case wouldn’t be in the supreme court.

If it does get stricken down, everyone should be able to find common ground on at least extending pre-existing conditions and similar universally popular aspects of the law.

Biden will obviously be met with resistance when he tries to pass his expansion plan. And he’ll meet it from both sides. From what I’ve seen his plan is even more expensive than Medicare for all.

My supervisor is a Trump voter. Getting the other people in my unit to sign it.
B2CC0524-E578-487C-A929-D3693070C9BA.jpeg
D9B49A25-648A-4931-AC6C-DCFFC504CEDE.jpeg

I personally don’t believe the court will strike it down. From my understanding the mandate component in only a financial issue and not a legal one. They’ll be able to show that the law has functioned for the past two years without a mandate. Although if it was that simple this case wouldn’t be in the supreme court.

If it does get stricken down, everyone should be able to find common ground on at least extending pre-existing condition and similar universally popular aspects of the law.

Biden will obviously be met with resistance when he tries to pass his expansion plan. And he’ll meet it from both sides. From what I’ve seen his plan is even more expensive than Medicare for all.
Joe Biden healthcare plan is not as expensive as Medicare for all

Not even close

You seem to put a lot of faith in conservatives to be good actors in this situation, and there is no evidence that they will.

Last edited:
Well let’s first acknowledge that you changed the subject. I don’t care, just saying. Both sides are NOT the same in any way. Let’s be clear about that.

melts talk about the here and now. Trump voters are Trump voters. There’s nothing more to it than that. That’s an extreme take that puts most peoples self interests aside to support a single man.They’re no levels to that.

for the left, the more far leaning left want things done NOW, that’s the difference between the”types” of lefts. The more moderate left understands that’s just not a realistic plan.Lets look at climate change. Far left want oil and gas gone NOW. Moderate left knows the steps to that will be a while.

what do I think of that? They’re not realist, that’s what I think. I’d take not realistic over complete racists who fight to limit rights on all fronts outside of the 1st and 2nd amendment.

Main takeaway, the right and left are NOT the same AT ALL. Should not even be compared

Obama's ACA had numerous flaws. Need to see the details and read more on Biden's Medicare for all plan.
Any rushed legislation is. Especially when your own party holds you hostage. These constant gridlocks have created situations where people see any bill as an opportunity to demand wild irrelevant additions.

How the **** was the ACA rushed, is there an alternate universe I don't know about :lol:

It was model after a state-level plan, it took months to pass, there were hearings on it, and stuff got stripped out of it at every stage to appease centrist. Even then it took budget reconciliation to finally get it through.

How the **** was the ACA rushed, is there an alternate universe I don't know about :lol:

It was model after a state-level plan, it took months to pass, there were hearings on it, and stuff got stripped out of it at every stage to appease centrist. Even then it took budget reconciliation to finally get it through.
The reconciliation aspect was my point. Initial passing was done on good faith without everyone actually reading it. Of course it was based on plenty of longstanding ideas.

Last edited:
It might be time for people to refresh their memory on the skinny repeal the GOP tried to pass in 2017...

That **** was horrible, was written and tried to pass without any congressional hearings of negotiations (this is the reason McCain cited to vote against it) and was only not all the way horrific because even in a short time, the political blowback was looking to be big.

If the Supreme Court does the job for them, and gives them a silly talking point too, I have little faith on Mitch McConnell being willing to compromise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom