***Official Political Discussion Thread***

lol whet?

I don't know what is funnier, this post or the 21 savage thread.
Listen clown. I know you are just trying to bait

But I know you would have an issue with LBJ's civil rights rights policies, being such a strong supporter of a bigoted President that famously broke the last major civil rights bill LBJ signed.

He is viewed as a Civil Rights hero because later in his political career he tried to make up for his past actions that went beyond a weak apology.

I am not excusing his use of the n-word, because that is out right racist, but he did more to advance Civil Rights than any other modern president, and that is not even the bills he signed, by a decent margin

The thing with people like Northam, and most white people with a racist past, they feel stop their racist behavior is enough. That of they are no longer indulging in said behavior end society should forgive them. At least LBJ took the next step and tried to make up for the harm he help inflict.

America would be a better place if more white people were like LBJ, because LBJ's racism is easier to push back on. He is like Lincoln, a good actor, racist, but still a good a good actor.
Maybe it's not worth debating or perhaps a case of semantics... A champion of civil rights? Most definitely. Did he do what's morally right? Absolutely.

Hero? Meh... I posted that article in particular because the examples of just how racist he was in every day life... Johnson biographer (Flawed Giant) wrote about him when talking about the nomination of Thurgood Marshall, "“when I appoint a nword to the bench, I want everybody to know he’s a nword.”

His long time driver wrote his book stating -
According to Caro, Robert Parker, Johnson’s sometime chauffer, described in his memoir Capitol Hill in Black and White a moment when Johnson asked Parker whether he’d prefer to be referred to by his name rather than “boy,” “n word” or “chief.” When Parker said he would, Johnson grew angry and said, “As long as you are black, and you’re gonna be black till the day you die, no one’s gonna call you by your goddamn name. So no matter what you are called, nword, you just let it roll off your back like water, and you’ll make it. Just pretend you’re a goddamn piece of furniture.”

For me it's hard to reconcile his personal views & how he carried himself day to day & then say he was a hero. But perhaps its not worth the debate...

And Rus... I saw your post & see there’s ignored content on the page. Not sure why you take the time to post/reply to who I think you’re talking to.

Last edited:
He is viewed as a Civil Rights hero because later in his political career he tried to make up for his past actions that went beyond a weak apology.

I am not excusing his use of the n-word, because that is out right racist, but he did more to advance Civil Rights than any other modern president, and that is not even the bills he signed, by a decent margin

The thing with people like Northam, and most white people with a racist past, they feel stop their racist behavior is enough. That of they are no longer indulging in said behavior end society should forgive them. At least LBJ took the next step and tried to make up for the harm he help inflict.

America would be a better place if more white people were like LBJ, because LBJ's racism is easier to push back on. He is like Lincoln, a good actor, racist, but still a good a good actor.
That's what I would have liked to see. If Northam came out and said, "Look, I did some regrettable things in the past, and I'm ashamed of it, and I want to dedicate my political career to improve race relations in this country," I would have supported him.

Kavanaugh had the same opportunity, in a way. Both of them fumbled it though. They went into a very narrowly-focused defensive mode. At the end of the day, I don't care about elected officials' individual histories or struggles. I care about what they do in office. And Northam, in office this past week, has shown he is an ineffectual coward more worried about defending himself than his constituents.

Maybe it's not worth debating or perhaps a case of semantics... A champion of civil rights? Most definitely. Did he do what's morally right? Absolutely.

Hero? Meh... I posted that article in particular because the examples of just how racist he was in every day life... Johnson biographer (Flawed Giant) wrote about him when talking about the nomination of Thurgood Marshall, "“when I appoint a nword to the bench, I want everybody to know he’s a nword.”

His long time driver wrote his book stating -

For me it's hard to reconcile his personal views & how he carried himself day to day & then say he was a hero. But perhaps its not worth the debate...
I understand where you are coming from. I am certainly not interested in bringing out the measuring scales to go point for point.

LBJ was a weird *** dude in general. But I do give him more credit than most because he did bend the Democratic Party to his will on the issue of civil rights. When many wanted to keeping kicking the can

But the hero category should probably reserved for people that made more serious sacrifices, took bigger risk, often giving their lives.

LBJ just woke up to the fact America treats the black community like ****, and it needs to rectify that. Which probably doesn't put him in the previously category, I just wish more white people would come to that conclusion.

I've read where Johnson's true empathy was toward poor people, dirt poor, due to his own upbringing as a poor child. After visiting places like Mississippi, Alabama and then other areas where people of color and whites were incredibly impoverished, the struggle to survive moved him. So the civil rights bills that he passed had more to do with poverty, instead of wanting to help Black people due to the color of their skin.

That's what I would have liked to see. If Northam came out and said, "Look, I did some regrettable things in the past, and I'm ashamed of it, and I want to dedicate my political career to improve race relations in this country," I would have supported him.

Kavanaugh had the same opportunity, in a way. Both of them fumbled it though. They went into a very narrowly-focused defensive mode. At the end of the day, I don't care about elected officials' individual histories or struggles. I care about what they do in office. And Northam, in office this past week, has shown he is an ineffectual coward more worried about defending himself than his constituents.
Northam needs to go because him staying pretty much means that it becomes the norm that the next person that gets exposed gets to stay. The irony of the Northam situation is that his defense runs counter to the deflections black people constantly get hit with. Black people will admit that their have been moments when America did the right thing, but if you look at the whole picture, the country has been ****. We especially ignore the backlash to all the good stuff

We celebrate slavery ending, but we ignore how we have up on Reconstruction

We celebrate the signing of the civil rights bill, we ignore how we failed to integrate and move forward with the Great Society

We celebrate electing a black man as president. We ignore how racist the country was toward him.

Northam probably made the same spot analysis over the years but now he is pleading with people to "look at his decades of service". Welp Ralph, maybe you should look at the centuries of white supremacy in Virginia to see why your *** can't get a break.

-BTW, if people think Northam should lost his job because of racist actions in his past, then cool I agree. But by those rules Joe Biden should not be president.

Last edited:
I've read where Johnson's true empathy was toward poor people, dirt poor, due to his own upbringing as a poor child. After visiting places like Mississippi, Alabama and then other areas where people of color and whites were incredibly impoverished, the struggle to survive moved him. So the civil rights bills that he passed had more to do with poverty, instead of wanting to help Black people due to the color of their skin.
Johnson had many motivations for the bills. One was political too. He thought it would secure the black vote for generations and thought racist Southern whites would get over it in like a decade (boy was he wrong)

But racial justice could not have been absent from his motivations give his actions. He went further than what Kennedy seemed willing to do, and his policies were not strictly anti-poverty. The Southern Democrats would not have rebelled like they did if it were.

But I do agree that while he improved on the issues, he still came up short in understand the steps that still had to be taken. So blinded spots and old ways of thinking were still at work

Last edited:
The difference between Kavs and Northam is that thanos chose to use the allegedly stones for Kavs but his body was too damaged after the snap to use them for Northam.
The other big difference is that Kavs is just a kid but Northam is an adult. Kavs still believes in Peter Pan and he never grew up. Northam tried to sneak into Neverland ranch with his blackface and sequin glove but MJ turned him away when he wasn't able to moonwalk.

Northam admitted to doing blackface, period.

The due process piece doesn’t work here.

Sure it does. He denied being in the picture. Due process famb. Until we get evidence that was him in that picture then due process must run its course. Due process isn't always afforded to people that look like you and Roy Moore.

Sure it does. He denied being in the picture. Due process famb. Until we get evidence that was him in that picture then due process must run its course. Due process isn't always afforded to people that look like you and Roy Moore.

His statements regarding doing blackface as Michael Jackson is sufficient. The yearbook aside.

His statements regarding doing blackface as Michael Jackson is sufficient. The yearbook aside.

MI.gif

Why are you so against due process? Due process isn't always afforded to people that look like you. You are the resident defender of due process. He denied being in the picture. He was asked to resign because he was allegedly in the picture not because of what he may or may not have done at a MJ concert.

Back
Top Bottom