***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I never understood the issue with anyone taking their salary and investing it to growth like anyone else. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? So it grows to a million and now you're supposed to be ashamed?

I remember when people were big mad when they found out Bernie was a millionaire and said he was a fraud :lol: Like he’s in his late 70s and has been making six figures for decades. What the hell did you expect?

And truthfully I just feel like it’s not worth arguing over. Anytime someone has an opinion that differs from most in here, you all gang up and attack them.

The Met Gala is a pointless event and celebrity culture is weird and AOC wearing a “Tax the rich” dress at this celebrity event is weird and pointless as well. Agree to disagree.

I’m just confused because on one hand we want to “tax the rich” and the next we defend millionaires, it’s wild.
It doesn’t change the fact that the wealth gap is insane and the fact that theirs a thread about people living with their parents proves it.

This isn’t true. But it helps you feel better about yourself.

The Met Gala is a weird phenomenon. Yes, many of the people involved are super rich, but ultimately it’s not (just) about wealth. There are plenty of super rich people that would never get an invite.

it’s just a weird cool kids club with queen bee, Anna Wntour, doling out points at the very top. It’s the apex of fashion as art eating itself and has more to do with celebrity, and specifically niche celebrity, than it has to do with wealth. But, that said, it’s an incredibly important event in the world of fashion as art. It is one of the most important places for your art to be seen if that’s your medium.

The dress that AOC wore isn’t even “her” dress so, ultimately, it isn’t her statement. The artist who is making that statement is Aurora James. That fashion is her medium and the Met Gala is one of fashion‘s biggest nights is not Aurora’s doing. She’s an artist, she has a view, and this is an entirely appropriate venue for her to express that view through her art.

AOC is, arguably, part of the artistic statement itself. So Aurora pays for her ticket to get the expression across in full. Should we fault AOC for agreeing to be part of, and through her own position amplify, an artistic view by a black New York based artist that happens to largely be aligned with her own politics?

Maybe? But this whole debate kind of reminds me of (mostly male) music fans who love complaining about music made for and appreciated by teenage girls. If you’re mad about this whole thing it might just be because it isn’t for you.

Tbh I think it’s ridiculous that a tickets took an NFL game cost the price they do, so I’m gonna say 500 😭 but it’s an event for the wealthy elite so they obviously wouldn’t do that.
So by your logic anyone who has a couple Jordan’s stashed at home can no longer help the poor because it’s hypocritical. Only poor people can help the poor….. LOL

I remember when people were big mad when they found out Bernie was a millionaire and said he was a fraud :lol: Like he’s in his late 70s and has been making six figures for decades. What the hell did you expect?
Exactly. People don't realize that most American millionaires are simply dual income, married career folks with investments and their home adding up over decades. Like why would I hate rich people for simply being rich?

This isn’t true. But it helps you feel better about yourself.
I hate it too because...

a) There were lots of other conservative and self-proclaimed voices in here, but they got themselves banned, mainly for trolling and racism. That is on them. Progressive people don't have to compromise their views just because other people could not follow the rules of NT

b) Ignores a large number of discussions in here where people disagree

c) It is just pleading for a safe space for contrarianism

And truthfully I just feel like it’s not worth arguing over. Anytime someone has an opinion that differs from most in here, you all gang up and attack them.

I know better than to engage in the meta-conversation, but…

People here are opinionated and they are ready to defend their view. If you come in with an unpopular opinion, many people who‘s view differ from you will defend their own perspective. That isn’t them “ganging up”, it’s them speaking up. I get how it can feel like you against the world, but that’s kind of the natural consequence of holding an unpopular view.

That doesn’t mean that your opinions are unwanted or that you’ll come into agreement - especially with things that are ultimately subjective. It just means that you should either be prepared to argue your point or to just let it go.

Making passive aggressive statements on the way out is not le it go.

I hate it too because...

a) There were lots of other conservative and self-proclaimed voices in here, but they got themselves banned, mainly for trolling and racism. That is on them. Progressive people don't have to compromise their views just because other people could not follow the rules of NT

b) Ignores a large number of discussions in here where people disagree

c) It is just pleading for a safe space for contrarianism

This reminds me of like a conversation I’d have with someone in a basketball thread.

Poster: Kyrie is more skilled than Steph Curry

Me: While Kyrie is historically a skilled guard, Steph Curry is better than him at all these skills. Here is why (lists facts). Few people agree with me.

Poster: Nope, Kyrie has better handles and is a better finisher!

Me: While Kyrie has more creative handles, Steph isn’t that far off. And according to the numbers, Steph finishes at slightly better rate with a similar volume. and his shooting, finishing, movement without the ball and passing ability makes him a more skilled.

Poster: Man, y’all just Steph d-riders man. Y’all ganging up on me! Can’t say nothing bad about Steph! Imma just leave!

Me: 🤷🏾‍♂️

This reminds me of like a conversation I’d have with someone in a basketball thread.

Poster: Kyrie is more skilled than Steph Curry

Me: While Kyrie is historically a skilled guard, Steph Curry is better than him at all these skills. Here is why (lists facts). Few people agree with me.

Poster: Nope, Kyrie has better handles and is a better finisher!

Me: While Kyrie has more creative handles, Steph isn’t that far off. And according to the numbers, Steph finishes at slightly better rate with a similar volume. and his shooting, finishing, movement without the ball and passing ability makes him a more skilled.

Poster: Man, y’all just Steph d-riders man. Y’all ganging up on me! Can’t say nothing bad about Steph! Imma just leave!

Me: 🤷🏾‍♂️
:lol: I think I remember that exchange

And I see the parallels

To be honest, I think the way some dudes downplay and low key hate on Steph in the NBA thread is wild

Most agree with your takes on him

I think Steph is closer to being in the convos as being one of the best to ever do it as opposed to being compared to the likes of Dame and Kyrie. Dudes act like Steph is just a really good PG, comparable to other really good PGs, and that is clearly not true, he is clearly a level above that.

But as a Lakers fan I will never type those words in the NBA thread, and if you ever bring up I said this I'm denying it and reporting you.

People see “Tax the Rich” and lose the nuance in a lot things that are being proposed. There is a gigantic gap between common celebrity rich and the extreme wealth hoarding from the ppl at the top.

For example, the 10th richest person’s net worth is still 217x that of Justin Bieber’s estimated net worth. Literally just raising taxes on like 500 people would have a significant impact but instead people cape for them because somehow they think one day they’re going to be Bill Gates wealthy when the chance of them even making a million in a year is slim to none.
Look how riled up the poor gets whenever messaging revolving around taxing the rich pop up. Rich folks stay winning without having to lift a finger.
Part of the problem is that people can't conceptualize the massive gap between millions and billions so when they hear "rich" they lump them together, as if they're equally achievable, but they're not remotely the same at all. A single person being worth anything remotely close to $200B is an act of violence against everyone else.

:lol: I think I remember that exchange

And I see the parallels

To be honest, I think the way some dudes downplay and low key hate on Steph in the NBA thread is wild

Most agree with your takes on him

I think Steph is closer to being in the convos as being one of the best to ever do it as opposed to being compared to the likes of Dame and Kyrie. Dudes act like Steph is just a really good PG, comparable to other really good PGs, and that is clearly not true, he is clearly a level above that.

But as a Lakers fan I will never type those words in the NBA thread, and if you ever bring up I said this I'm denying it and reporting you.
Don't worry wavycrocket wavycrocket I got the screenshot for if I ever see Rusty liking some Steph slander

dwalk31 dwalk31

3AD53DAE-7685-4D44-8D33-5FECFFB21E79.jpeg

This is nothing more than brain damage rearing it’s head. To think you are white…… woooweeee where do you even start?

I know, right? What are those Slavs, Mediterraneans, Irish, Scandinavians, and Germans even thinking?

American Whiteness has always chosen to expand its membership when it’s superiority is threatened by numbers. There is a historical opportunity to reverse that trend, but only if we address it.

Have a hard time believing Texas ever turning blue and so I can't let myself go down the Florida rabbit hole with this state too. As we all can see when the white population fades some Ted Cruz' will just replace them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Those states turn blue if Covid stays in the red 🤷🏽‍♂️. Crazy to think

Last edited:
I know, right? What are those Slavs, Mediterraneans, Irish, Scandinavians, and Germans even thinking?

American Whiteness has always chosen to expand its membership when it’s superiority is threatened by numbers. There is a historical opportunity to reverse that trend, but only if we address it.

Bingo. We also need to stop grouping all “Latinos” together. They’re from different countries, have different levels of education, different socioeconomic classes etc. Texas “Latinos” are different from Florida Latinos, who are different from Georgia Latinos. There’s no one size fits all approach.

Back
Top Bottom