Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

WOOT WOOT!!!! Great job pens, protect that home ice baby!!!! What an awesome game tonight.. i can't wait for saturday

tired.gif
... another win for the Pens on NBC.... 17-0 on NBC...
laugh.gif

^
indifferent.gif

great game though. i swear there was one shift out there in the 3rd for Orpik where he had like 4 hits in a row, two on Drake that knocked him to the ice eachtime. Dude was on beast mode tonight. Overall pretty good game by the Pens, hopefully Saturday they play just as well and its a 2-2 series. I hate two days offbetween games.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

tired.gif
... another win for the Pens on NBC.... 17-0 on NBC...
laugh.gif

Go away.

Anyways that was a great game last night. Finally it seems like the Pens came to life on home ice. I cant really say that i ever expected the pens to win game1 and 2 in detroit though, so them losing hurt but it wasnt surprising. Home again Sat, i expect another win.
smokin.gif

Blackhawks To Host Winter Classic Against Detroit
It appears that NHL Winter Classic will be back and making a visit to the Windy City.
TSN has confirmed that the Chicago Blackhawks will take on the Detroit Red Wings next January in what has become the league's annual outdoor game.

Following the success of this season's Winter Classic in Buffalo, where a record 71,217 fans watched the Sabres take on the Pittsburgh Penguins at Ralph Wilson Stadium, a number of cities have been pushing for the right to hold the event.

There was talk that the New York Rangers were looking into the possibility of hosting a game at Yankee Stadium. With the baseball team moving into a new stadium next season, it would have been the final event held in the old ballpark.

It is not yet clear whether the game would be held at Wrigley Field, home of MLB's Cubs, or Soldier Field, home of the NFL Bears.

Other than the final score, I thought the game was dope. The Whiteout was on point.

I wonder if this was an adjustment thing, or if it was a desperation thing. Cuz it would seem as thought the Pens were energized by the home crowd of course...The Wings initially weathered the storm, but that first goal was crucial. I thought Ozzie played a lil too aggressive on the third goal, though... Did anyoneelse notice that he was out of the net for what seemed like forever?

Anyway, he's still playing great, the Pens just played better than the Wings in the early going and had enough in the tank to hold them off.

Let's see if that has left them spent, or if they have enough to play like this again. A lot of times in a series, you expend SO much energy to win thatone you really feel you have to, that you lay an egg in the next one. Usually it happens in Game 3... this time? Who knows...

Anyway, I listen to everything Don Cherry says. He's THAT GUY when it comes to Hockey... I've noticed Barry Melrose has the "I'm notworthy" face on and seeks Grapes' approval on everything he says now, rather than acting like he's the big know it all like he does whenCherry's not there... Good.

Damn.........RIP to Luc Bourdon
tired.gif
tired.gif

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Luc Bourdon has been killed in a motorcycle accident in northern New Brunswick. He was 21.

Bourdon, a promising young defenceman who played his junior hockey with the Moncton Wildcats, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and Val d'Or Foreurs of the QMJHL, split his first pro season in 2007-08 between Vancouver and the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose.

He scored two goals and was a plus-7 in 27 games with the Canucks last season.

The Shippagan, New Brunswick native was drafted 10th overall by the Canucks in 2005 and was among the last pre-season cuts at training camp just a few months later. He was an integral part of Brent Sutter's gold medal-winning squad in the 2006 World Junior Hockey Championship and ended the season with Ted Nolan's Moncton Wildcats in the Memorial Cup.

After a nine-game stint with the Canucks the following season, he was returned to the QMJHL and helped lead Canada win its third straight gold medal at the world juniors.

that sucks about Bourdon, heard he had a lot of potential. that is one of the reasons my girl doesn't want me to get a bike because unlike most caraccidents, you dont get hurt in a motorcycle accident, usually u die

I thought Ozzie played a lil too aggressive on the third goal, though... Did anyone else notice that he was out of the net for what seemed like forever?

Part of that maybe due to the fact that he had hardly been tested in the last 6 periods leading up to that? I dunno, just speculating.. can't really faulthim too much, his squad was not playing the same as they were at home, losing the puck in between blue lines, not getting up into the pens as they werebringing in into their zone.. it was like a different team out there than we saw in detroit.

Originally Posted by cquan05

Damn.........RIP to Luc Bourdon
tired.gif
tired.gif

Vancouver Canucks defenceman Luc Bourdon has been killed in a motorcycle accident in northern New Brunswick. He was 21.

Bourdon, a promising young defenceman who played his junior hockey with the Moncton Wildcats, Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and Val d'Or Foreurs of the QMJHL, split his first pro season in 2007-08 between Vancouver and the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose.

He scored two goals and was a plus-7 in 27 games with the Canucks last season.

The Shippagan, New Brunswick native was drafted 10th overall by the Canucks in 2005 and was among the last pre-season cuts at training camp just a few months later. He was an integral part of Brent Sutter's gold medal-winning squad in the 2006 World Junior Hockey Championship and ended the season with Ted Nolan's Moncton Wildcats in the Memorial Cup.

After a nine-game stint with the Canucks the following season, he was returned to the QMJHL and helped lead Canada win its third straight gold medal at the world juniors.

damn

i think detriot takes the next 2 games..they must be thirsty to win a series on home ice and this will be the cup so i think they will go extra hard..

Barry Melrose To Return & Coach Lightning

I suppose he'll be an assistant to Torts......at first I was like the hell? When did they fire Tortorella
laugh.gif

The Toronto Star reports that ESPN hockey analyst and former Los Angeles Kings head coach Barry Melrose is set to return behind the bench for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Melrose, who coached the Kings to the 1993 Stanley Cup Final, would replace John Tortorella, who still holds the post.

According to the Star, incoming team owner Oren Koules has pushed for the hiring of Melrose in an effort to further sell the team and the sport in Florida. His group is awaiting approval from the NHL's Board Of Governors to take over the team, with the vote set to take place on June 18.

The Lightning, which won the Stanley Cup in 2004, missed the playoffs this year and won the first overall pick in the lottery last month for the June entry draft.

Melrose, who has worked at ESPN and ABC Sports since 1996, began his coaching career in 1987 when he led the Medicine Hat Tigers to the Memorial Cup. He also coached the Seattle Thunderbirds for the 1988-89 season and the Adirondack Red Wings of the American Hockey League for three seasons (1989-92). Melrose guided the Red Wings to the Calder Cup championship in 1991 and also served as the team's General Manager during his final two seasons.

During his 11 years as a player, Melrose played 335 career games as a defenceman in the NHL with Winnipeg, Toronto and Detroit (1979-86). He also played three seasons with Cincinnati in the WHA (1976-79).

i think it could be good and bad for hockey if melrose coaches again. good because i would love to see him behind the bench again and bad because he is one ofthe few guys that is the face of hockey on tv. i think that to the average hockey fan, he is one of the few recognizable people in the game and sells the gamevery well.

he is a moron on tv. there is no question he can coach, but he's a moron. he slurps all the hot teams, never says anything about teams unless they are sanjose, detroit, anaheim, or the rangers. he's an idiot (on television)

If Melrose says anything about the Wings its usually bad. He's been picking against them for years now, and I STILL don't know why. He picked againstthem in every series except the Finals, I believe...

Originally Posted by JoeBonnano

If Melrose says anything about the Wings its usually bad. He's been picking against them for years now, and I STILL don't know why. He picked against them in every series except the Finals, I believe...

IIRC, it's because we didn't hire him after Scotty left.

+**$ him... He was good in the Minors, but he was mediocre at best as an NHL head guy. His Kings teams never did anything save for 93, but they had TGO and ahost of other guys that were good to get them there... IMO his only great feat was somehow getting Kelly Hrudey to be a championship caliber goalie...

He's a tool with a mullet and he's a hater.

Penguins NEED this game tonight......if the Wings win they'll win the Cup in front of the home crowd in Game 5.......Pretty sure Sydor will be in thelineup again tonight. It's been a tough week for Letang who was best friends with Luc Bourdon as they played 2 years together and were roomates in junior,as well as winning 2 straight gold medals with Canada. I was watching the media session he had and it looked like he was just totally lost and drained ofenergy.....hope he can get through it though.

Did anyone read the story on Dan O'Holleran? I thought it was pretty good. We tend to look at referees like we look at teachers: like they don't havelives outside of the authoritative profession...

Well hopefully the Baby Pens in Wilkes Barre make it to game 5 next Saturday. I got tickets. Good game by Detroit tonight, could played better but still won.Evgeni Malkin where are you? Anyone still saying he's better than Crosby when he disappears when it matters most? Dude looks like he's awstruck andjust happy to be there. Ryan Malone needs to be resigned. Homegrown commodities are hard to find and he's a great two way player.

Depressing game tonight... how we don't even get a shot off when it's 5 on 3 is beyond me.. i mean, credit Detroit, but c'mon Pens.. that was theseries right there.

This wasn't a terribly played game by the Pens, it was just the same old story.. a lot of stuff that just didn't develop into the chances it shouldhave. Our defense was pretty solid for the most part, can't believe that shot squeezed by Fluery, but ugh.. what can you do?

Series is very likely over - i can't see us taking a game in detroit, especially if we give up an early goal.. Detroit is just impossible to come back on,it seems.

Dude... Has anyone read the quotes by Crosby?
laugh.gif

He's showing his immaturity. Really. Like he's not supposed to slurp the Wings or Hank or anything, but peep these gems:
"He made a good play on me, got my stick," Crosby said. "I don't think he did anything out of the ordinary besides what any other guy would do on a 5-on-3."

"We have to win one to get back," Crosby said. "That's the way we're thinking. They scored two, we scored one, so I don't think they're running away with it. We'll battle them in Detroit and see what happens."
I don't know... perhaps I'm just reaching. but buddy is just rubbing me the wrong way (pause) right now. It just seems as though he'sacting as if the pens are totally beating themselves... Hoisted by his own petard...

You get your %$@ whooped in the first two games, and yet you did nothing wrong? You just missed your opportunities?!?
roll.gif
You get shut out for two gamesand you think somehow it's YOU and not the other team? C'mon... I can understand not admitting defeat... don't say the Wings are better than you;that's defeatist. but you can give credit where it may be due, and admit it Kid... they been beatin that tail like you got suspended from school...

Back
Top Bottom