Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

Man, I havent followed hockey seriously since the Wings won the cup in 02... I hope they take it this year.

Notice the only real success the Wings have is when Ozgood is in net?
97 - Ozzy
98 - Ozzy
02 - Dominator (his best hockey in Detroit)
08 - Ozzy

Not saying that Detroit will win, but the only time Detroit has made it far with a serious run, Ozgood has been in net.

Then again, I have never liked Dominik in Detroit as is...
laugh.gif

Umm Ozzy was not in net for the Wings in the 97 playoffs... You don't remember Vernon won the Conn Smythe that year? C'mon now...
someone does a lot of historical hockey thinking. i am going to go and say Pens in 5.
Yes I do. And for the most part, Hockey, unlike almost any other sport save for maybe baseball, always replays history. Like say, the team withPaul Coffey (after Edmonton) loses
laugh.gif
. I dunno... I just got that feeling, tho. That's why I'm not playing one line in this series...

I said it to people before and I will say it again, Detroit is better with Osgood than with Hasek. He's injury prone, he's past his prime, he'salmost at the end of the road. Someone drafted him in like the 3rd round of our fantasy hockey league. I don't think he will play next year, Osgood had arocky couple of weeks towards the end of the season, but you try playing a game, sitting a game, playing a game, sitting two games. After a while you'rerythm will get thrown off and when he had to play every day he started to get rattled. Osgood is at this point in both their careers, the better goalie.

Originally Posted by JoeBonnano

Man, I havent followed hockey seriously since the Wings won the cup in 02... I hope they take it this year.

Notice the only real success the Wings have is when Ozgood is in net?
97 - Ozzy
98 - Ozzy
02 - Dominator (his best hockey in Detroit)
08 - Ozzy

Not saying that Detroit will win, but the only time Detroit has made it far with a serious run, Ozgood has been in net.

Then again, I have never liked Dominik in Detroit as is...
laugh.gif
Umm Ozzy was not in net for the Wings in the 97 playoffs... You don't remember Vernon won the Conn Smythe that year? C'mon now...
someone does a lot of historical hockey thinking. i am going to go and say Pens in 5.
Yes I do. And for the most part, Hockey, unlike almost any other sport save for maybe baseball, always replays history. Like say, the team with Paul Coffey (after Edmonton) loses
laugh.gif
. I dunno... I just got that feeling, tho. That's why I'm not playing one line in this series...
Ooops. My mistake. Lol, forgive me, I was only 10 at the time. I dont remember as much as I think I do
laugh.gif

My mistake.

And I think it is ******ed that both leagues have games on the same night. Are they stupid? Im sure any casual fan will want to watch both. Alot of potentialrevenue is lost there, at least in my opinion.

Does Detroit play at home for both Hockey and Basketball on the same days? I didnt read the article fully.

Yes. The games are all in Detroit on those days, except Game 5 of the NBA ECF, which will be in Boston.

I wouldn't even mind so much if the two teams played downtown, I think, though. It would have created a great atmosphere to have had both teams contendingfor chips across the street or something... But alas, the Stones play 45 minutes up I-75, and the Wings play in the close to the Hart of the City (
laugh.gif
)...

Alls I know is, Bettman is a dummy. The NBA games were scheduled when their playoffs started, and the NHL finals get decided later. Thats why I kept askin ifthey'd start Thursday regardless of outcome... that would have been perfect... Dah Well...

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melrose just picked Detroit to win the Cup. What a jagoff. They are doomed. First time in 2 years he has picked them to win a series and it has to be this one.I hate him so much.

laugh.gif

He and Bob Errey seem to be two analysts who really should bulk up on history before opening their mouths. I don't understand how Melrose can say the Penshave 4 chips... Then Bob Errey is on On The Fly and says the Wings were swept by the Devils after a 62 Win season WHICH HE WAS A PART OF.

Wow. Hits to the head in the corner must have made this guy's brain alzheimer's ready... The Wings lost to Colorado after the 62 wins, and they wereswept by the Devils after the Lockout. You would think those would be two rather monumental memories for a guy...

What a great series this should be. It sucks, I am packing up to move and I can't get on here to discuss hockey lately. If the Pens come out firing andaren't nervous, they have a great shot here. Even if they end up losing the series, the future is bright (although they will be losing a few piecesquickly, but still the major core will be there). But go Pens, I am just hoping for them to win one in Detroit and bring it back to the 'Burgh. I love theNHL. I love the Penguins. LET'S GO PENGUINS (clap clap clap clap clap), LET'S GO PENGUINS...

FIRED UP!!!

They're all corny. I think that's the point. It seemed as tho the only people sending them in were either REALLY old (hence the Microsoft Paint-esqueedits), or really young.

I'm just glad to see people enjoying this at all... There have been some great finals these last few years, and nobody cared. It's been crazy how fewpeople have been talking about hockey this milleneum, but since the Golden Boy is here, I guess the marketing machine has decided to do its job (although Ihaven't really SEEN any more ads than years past, except the Gatorade joints), and people are paying more attention.

Or perhaps I'm just delusional and these will be one of the lowest rated Finals again (don't they seem to break the record every year now?)...

Originally Posted by JoeBonnano

I'm just delusional and these will be one of the lowest rated Finals again (don't they seem to break the record every year now?)...

the last highly anticipated/ great series as considered is the 94' Rangers vs Canucks Finals. thats what most people are saying. The Rangers havingnot won the cup in 54 years, the guarantee from Mark Messier, and the game involving one of the bigger audiences of the NHL, "New York"

Then there was Trevor Linden, Captain Canuck, and one of the best Russian Pure Goal Scorers out there, PAVEL BURE, and held down by the spectaculargoaltending that just came outta nowhere of Kirk McLean.

That is considered to be the last best series, so hopefully the Pens and HOCKEYTOWN lives up to the expectations!!!!

I'm not gonna pretend like I know a lot about hockey. But I DO know who I'm rooting for.

YzermanIn98Cup.jpg

And for the record, they said it was the Canadian network CBC who demanded the game be played tonight since Saturday nights are huge hockey nights in Canada.
smh.gif

They act as if people who are interested in hockey won't tune in regardless of what night game 1 airs.

Hell, they aren't even airing the games on local networks here in NY. Games for the FINALS are on versus network.
laugh.gif

You know dmx, I just looked at an update of what I posted with the pics, and those aren't the ones I chose. It seems as tho the URLs changed... the ones Isee now are MAD corny...

Anyway... should be 2-0 right now... Goaltender interference my !*%... Fleury was outside the crease...

I certainly don't want to jump the gun here, but Detroit plays like this all the time... Can the Pens play their game against the Wings? Cuz Game 1didn't look like it...

how did they call that goaltender interference? It;s so obvious that the Penguins get treated differently then any tother NHL team..

Oh damn the Wings took the lead! No... wait, lets call it goaltender interference and give Pittsburgh a powerplay instead.

smfh

I'll admit it, they whopped our a@#. I gotta hand it to Osgood though, hes an excellent goalie. The Pens played horrible tonight.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

how did they call that goaltender interference? It;s so obvious that the Penguins get treated differently then any tother NHL team..

Oh damn the Wings took the lead! No... wait, lets call it goaltender interference and give Pittsburgh a powerplay instead.

smfh
salty.
I certainly don't want to jump the gun here, but Detroit plays like this all the time... Can the Pens play their game against the Wings? Cuz Game 1 didn't look like it...

I predicted the Wings to win this thing a long time ago, so there's no homer in this statement.. but you're definitely jumping the gun. It was ahome game your team was supposed to win, and you guys won. You will probably take game 2 also.. But i wouldn't get too excited until you take one in theBurgh. Either way, the Wings are the more complete team, but I expect much closer games in the days to follow this one.

I expect Detroit to win in 4 or 5. Pens are going to be a great team for many years to come, but the 2007-08 season belonged to Detroit from week 1.

I heard that Marc-Andre Fleury is a restricted free agent this summer. I hope the Pens dont throw a lot of money at him just for making the finals. Although hehas a bright future ahead of him, the Pens are still going to have to pay Malkin and spend some money on other needs.

Out of the 30 starting goalies in the NHL, I'd say 90% of them are solid, the goalies that go deep into the playoffs are the ones with a better supportingcast. It would be foolish to overpay Fleury when he can easily be replaced.

Although he's one of my favourite players, Hossa is a greedy bastard, he's all about the money. He'll be gone from Pittsburgh and might end up withthe biggest free agent contract this summer. He'll get offers from like 5+ teams, the experts on tv suggest Montreal and Boston are favored to land him.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I expect Detroit to win in 4 or 5. Pens are going to be a great team for many years to come, but the 2007-08 season belonged to Detroit from week 1.

I heard that Marc-Andre Fleury is a restricted free agent this summer. I hope the Pens dont throw a lot of money at him just for making the finals. Although he has a bright future ahead of him, the Pens are still going to have to pay Malkin and spend some money on other needs.

Out of the 30 starting goalies in the NHL, I'd say 90% of them are solid, the goalies that go deep into the playoffs are the ones with a better supporting cast. It would be foolish to overpay Fleury when he can easily be replaced.

Although he's one of my favourite players, Hossa is a greedy bastard, he's all about the money. He'll be gone from Pittsburgh and might end up with the biggest free agent contract this summer. He'll get offers from like 5+ teams, the experts on tv suggest Montreal and Boston are favored to land him.

I think they find a way to keep Fleury, Malkin, and Sid..without question.. but there's no way they possibly sign Hossa, and there's probably a fewmore casualties if they pay those three guys the way they'll have to... I kinda feel like the pens have to win it this year, or face being like a 4-5 seedevery year for awhile after this.. they've got as much talent now as i think they'll ever have while Sid and Ev are here, they just need to grow up andplay a bit more soundly, a bit more clutchness in the next week.

I don't think they can do it, personally.. and there could be a lot of similar disappointment in years to come, despite people thinking that we'lljust automatically keep rolling into the finals like we did this year..
frown.gif
hopefully i'm wrong about that.. i just really hope they find a way to win 4 here and get a cup while they have the chance. i'm reallypessimistic i guess
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom