Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

joebonnano i completely agree with you this 1 will end quick. and why do i think it will be detriot in 4 or 5. they will lock down crosby and malkin.. im surelidstrom and rafalski would have no problem doing that.. also the experience comes into play. detriot this year is winning unlike the other years because theyare hard hitting and they will be very physical with the penguins and im almost 100% sure that detriot comes out on top..

Originally Posted by cquan05

Report: Chris Simon Signs With Russian Club

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=833
Chris Simon will not be skating in the NHL next season as he has signed with Vityaz Chekhov in Russia, according to several media reports.

Over his 15 seasons in the NHL, Simon was suspended eight times. Most recently he was given a 30 game suspension for stepping on the leg of Pittsburgh Penguins' forward Jarkko Ruutu back on December 15th. Simon, 36, was a member of the New York Islanders at the time.

The Islanders dealt Simon to the Minnesota Wild at the trade deadline for a 6th round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Over his 38-games for the Islanders and Wild in 2007/08, Simon had one goal and two assists with 59 penalty minutes. Over his NHL career, he scored 144 goals, with 161 assists and 1,824 penalty minutes over 782 games.

He was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1990 (2nd round - 25th overall).

Former NHLer Alexei Zhamnov is the general manger of Vityaz Chekhov. The team plays in the Continental Hockey League.

finally that %$%$%$%$% is out of the NHL

yeah, thank god simon is out of the league. he probably realized that nobody would sign him and decided to get it while he still could elsewhere, i dontunderstand why a guy like him is needed over there, but as long as he isn't in the NHL anymore thats fine by me

I almost prefer the series to start Saturday just because it's a Saturday Night and the Joe will hopefully be rockin'.........I wouldn't haveminded if they had Game 1 on Thursday and then Game 2 Saturday.........Oh well

NBC will be hosting games 3-7....so this means the Penguins win the series...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

NBC will be hosting games 3-7....so this means the Penguins win the series...
laugh.gif

What happens if they don't?
laugh.gif
(Hopefully they do win to egg on yourtheory)
laugh.gif

I don't get it either. Hockey simply wont spread regardless of who is in the finals. It is way to expensive to play, its expensive to watch, it isn'tpromoted as much, it's just not going to spread. I love it, played it, everything about it I love, but thats the thing with hockey, its either love orhate. Anyone can go and understand what they're seeing during a baseball game or a basketball game, most don't get hockey. Another thing is themarketability, Sidney Crosby could walk into a bar in Myrtle Beach SC and people wouldn't blink, Kobe, A-Rod, Tom Brady would all get mobbed. Hockey justisnt going to ever get as big as it was in the late 80's.

Is it just me, or have most people picked the Pens?

Perhaps I've only seen some of the predictions, but it seems as if only Grapes has picked the Wings...

I may be delusional... but damn. Nobody?
laugh.gif
the dud on ESPN said Pens in 6. SIX!?! Wow.

Anyway, I stick with my original statement, this will be quick. I just still don't know WHO wins... I'll of course be picking the Wings... but I'mreally at a 50-50. I see this as a 5 game series... It all depends on if the Wings are too experienced, or if the Pens are too young and hungry...

We'll see Saturday. I still think the NHL screwed the pooch on the scheduling, tho. The NBA Finals schedule was made WELL in advance of the NHL's, soWHY would Bettman decide to take on the Juggernaut of marketing? What the HELL was he thinking?

joebonnano check the previous page i said detriot in a quick series 5 or 6 games maybe even a sweep for wings..

I was referring to the so called "experts" on the websites and what not. The only people picking the Wings seem to have been few and far between...And that is very odd to me.

But again, I hark back to 95 when the Wings were the fresh young upstarts and had cruised to 70 points in 48 games. The Finals saw them dismantled by theDevils, even though the Devils were plenty good themselves...

That year, Detroit was the perfect team at home, going 8-0 in the playoffs up to that point, and 12-2 overall while Jersey was 12-4. Detroit had outscoredteams 30-11 at home, Vernon was playing great, and the Wings were supposed to be younger, more talented and faster than the bulk of the Jersey players... SoundFamiliar?

Jersey had been beaten the year before by the eventual champ Rangers in a grueling series. Detroit had been bounced in the first round by the Sharks the yearbefore... Sound familiar?

I'm telling you guys, Sports are all about history repeating itself... Records are made to be broken, but I just have this feeling that it plays out almostEXACTLY like 95, and the Wings sweep the Pens. The only thing that is weird to me is that I think the Pens have a shot at Sweeping the Wings, too...

I'm SO looking forward to watching this...

Man, I havent followed hockey seriously since the Wings won the cup in 02... I hope they take it this year.

Notice the only real success the Wings have is when Ozgood is in net?
97 - Ozzy
98 - Ozzy
02 - Dominator (his best hockey in Detroit)
08 - Ozzy

Not saying that Detroit will win, but the only time Detroit has made it far with a serious run, Ozgood has been in net.

Then again, I have never liked Dominik in Detroit as is...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Not saying that Detroit will win, but the only time Detroit has made it far with a serious run, Ozgood has been in net.

Then again, I have never liked Dominik in Detroit as is...
laugh.gif

yea... Hasek is such an #%#%#%#%#%

[h1]What do Detroit fans watch Saturday? Pistons or Wings?[/h1]
May 21, 2008

Eric Adelson of ESPN The Magazine discusses a Detroit sports fan's dilemma. A portion of his column:

What is the NHL thinking?

The league gets a mulligan for scheduling its thrilling outdoor game in Buffalo against the New Year's Day bowl games. (What, Super Bowl Sunday wasn't available?) But now, a far worse offense: The first three games of the Stanley Cup finals will be played at the same time as Games 3, 4 and 5 of the NBA's Eastern Conference finals.

Who cares, you say? Well, just about everyone in Detroit, to start with, as fans here will now have to choose whether to watch the Red Wings or the Pistons. On Saturday, Monday and Wednesday, Detroit will face off against Pittsburgh at 8 p.m., and Detroit will tip off versus Boston at 8:30 p.m. So unless fans in Michigan (and elsewhere) have Picture-in-Picture or decide to tape one game or the other (and turn off their cell phones), they will miss part or most of playoff games they anticipated all season long.

REAL THE FULL COLUMN, CLICK HERE

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/columns/story?id=3405656

Back
Top Bottom