Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

damn we got it handed to us today, but i'm still proud to be a Flyers fan, i think you are seeing 2 teams that will battle in the playoffs a fair share oftimes in the next 4-5 years

the things Crosby can do with the puck amaze me and Fleury has sold me as a top flight goalie

i'm rooting for the Pens as long as Dallas doesn't make it, I grew up a big Mike Modano fan and he's career is coming to a close

I got nothing but respect for the Pens, hats off to that team and good luck in the finals...i'll continue to be in the thread

FLYERS OFF SEASON PRIORITIES
1) Resign Carter
2) Let Umberger go and take the two 1st round picks (someone will sign him and take the hit)
3) Sign a defensemen such as Brian Campbell or Wade Redden
4) players to say bye bye to...Jason Smith, Vinny Prospal, Sami Kapanen and SLOWdry
** Take a long look at Simon Gagne over the summer, his return would be huge if he is healthy

I dont necessarily think any would give up two first round picks for RJ Umberger. With the salary cap and all that you have to draft extremely well and thePens, Capitals, younger teams like them are showing that great drafting will produce quality teams.

ouch
didnt expect to get routed like that
oh well
its was a good run....
hope gagne can come back next year
our team is good and young so we got nowhere to go but up for the coming years

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

I dont necessarily think any would give up two first round picks for RJ Umberger. With the salary cap and all that you have to draft extremely well and the Pens, Capitals, younger teams like them are showing that great drafting will produce quality teams.

i think someone would give up the 2 picks for someone who is a young potential 30/30 guy every year
i agree with the draft but they also benefited fromhaving very small salaries in the pre-salary cap era and b/c of that would always turn in horrible seasons allowing them to draft so high, it's no longerlike that and i dont really agree with the caps drafting so well

the Pens have three #1 overall stud players, they were all considered can't miss and Crosby was the highest rated prospect since Eric Lindros

Great job Pens... can't wait for the finals to start!!
smile.gif

I better see a better effort out of the Wings tonite. I was a little sick on Saturday night and Sunday thinking about how they could do absolutely nothing.That first line has to step it up.

^Peterson has done a good job against that line........but we all know they can explode at any time.

Chelios is out tonight and Lilja is in.....they're saying it's a "leg" injury, but more than likely just a day off for him.

Downey during the pre-game warmy's
roll.gif
roll.gif

It shouldn't be an off night for Cheli. I love the guy and all, but he's been the weakest link on the wings this year, and it's not even close.He's a walking turnover these days, he looks slow and prodding, and his mixups on changes have cost the Wings two GAMES (two against Nashville and oneagainst Dallas), not just goals.

I'm all for the cagey vet stepping up, but I really don't think he should play in the final. The Pens are too fast, and he doesn't hit enough tojustify him being on the ice. He's not a neutralizer anymore, but he's good, and good isn't good enough. We're about to go against the (2nd
laugh.gif
) best offense in the NHL, and I don't see him being able to contend, unless he turns into one of those guys thats pesky and does lil cheap stuff thatslegal to get under the offense's skin...

I'm not even watching this game anymore........all about the Spurs/Hornets game.........OR the Memorial Cup game between Gatineau and Belleville
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

damn good series. we ran into a better team and we were worn out because i know everyone can agree dallas had 2 of the hardest series to get to the conffinals.. going to be a goal scoring extravaganza in the finals. im all for the wings because its more of an east v west battle now..

Should be a fun Stanley Cup Finals. I am debating on going down to Detroit for Game 1. I really shouldn't spend the money but it might be worth it becauseof the circumstances. It will be a hard decision but I doubt I will go.

^I definitely want to make the trip from Toronto for a game in Detroit......my buddy was telling me something like lower bowl tickets are only $100 apop?
eek.gif
eek.gif
I'd goto every game at that price. $100 tickets here for the Leafs will get me last row in front of standing room
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Hopefully tickets don't sell out too quickly?
ohwell.gif
Again, a buddy of mine was tellingme they STILL aren't selling too well or something......We'll see

I'd love nothing more than a seven game series win for the Wings, but I don't think this one is gonna be close. Either youth get served very badly, orthey serve the old guard badly. Either way I think one team is going home with MAYBE one win...

When the pucks bounce, they only bounce one way. I think this one is a Sweep, but I don't know for who... Detroit is no longer looming as the unbeatablejuggernaut, and (my) jury is still out on whether or not these Pens are defensively capable, stats be damned... I just see them give away too many odd manrushes trying to start something on thier own...

Anyway, a good series, to be sure... at least on paper. I hope it lives up to the hype we'll see for the next 5 days...

Report: Chris Simon Signs With Russian Club

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=833
Chris Simon will not be skating in the NHL next season as he has signed with Vityaz Chekhov in Russia, according to several media reports.

Over his 15 seasons in the NHL, Simon was suspended eight times. Most recently he was given a 30 game suspension for stepping on the leg of Pittsburgh Penguins' forward Jarkko Ruutu back on December 15th. Simon, 36, was a member of the New York Islanders at the time.

The Islanders dealt Simon to the Minnesota Wild at the trade deadline for a 6th round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Over his 38-games for the Islanders and Wild in 2007/08, Simon had one goal and two assists with 59 penalty minutes. Over his NHL career, he scored 144 goals, with 161 assists and 1,824 penalty minutes over 782 games.

He was originally drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1990 (2nd round - 25th overall).

Former NHLer Alexei Zhamnov is the general manger of Vityaz Chekhov. The team plays in the Continental Hockey League.

Originally Posted by cquan05

^I definitely want to make the trip from Toronto for a game in Detroit......my buddy was telling me something like lower bowl tickets are only $100 a pop?
eek.gif
eek.gif
I'd go to every game at that price. $100 tickets here for the Leafs will get me last row in front of standing room
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Hopefully tickets don't sell out too quickly?
ohwell.gif
Again, a buddy of mine was telling me they STILL aren't selling too well or something......We'll see

Only if he knows somebody unloading them on the cheap. I had to get upper bowl off of ticketmaster for 140.Lower Bowl were 200. I would expect a 75-100raise for the Stanley Cup. The Joe will prob sell out but the Pisstons have a game that night too. They are the bigger draw. Too expensive and the big fans donot want to come into the D anymore. If he can find me some tix in the lower bowl for 100 a pop holla at ya boy.

Dallas gave had one hell of playoff run and knocked a team I thought was better in SJ

If Mike Modano retires my man had one hell of a career but I can see him going one last season

I'll be rooting for the Pens over the Wings, I think their young players are good for the NHL although I think the switched from making Crosby the face ofthe NHL to making Ovechkin their guy

NHL has gotten it all wrong again. We have to wait until Saturday for game 1.

Finals should've started on Wedn. or Thurs. to keep things exciting.

Back
Top Bottom