Official NHL 2008 Stanley Cup Finals Thread...Pens vs. Wings

great win tonight by the Rangers....its one win, hopefully they'll build on it....

outstanding performance by this man right here...

b15a5e30720a9596dd89391ff09e5b7b-getty-80824887rb043_pittsburgh_pe.jpg

Originally Posted by areyouin729

Originally Posted by tab5039

I hope the Pens and Flyers meet in the ECF, that would be awesome considering I live in State College...I mean the war zone.
It gets pretty ugly with the Steelers and Eagles during the football season... but this will be insane.

FLYERS!

wow a Penn Stater...I graduated from PSU last year, what you up there for???
the Philly vs. Pittsburgh rivalry gets pretty serious up there, in 2004 when the Eagles played the Steelers in regular season it got ugly, they had cops holding sides back b/c om one side of Beaver Ave it was Eagles fans yelling across at Steelers fans and then people on the high rise apartments screaming from all angles

it evens gets as heated as Wawa vs. Sheetz
laugh.gif

Areyouin... are you forgetting me now? I'm the resident PSU'er here dawg.. born and raised.

Trust - living in the middle of the state, it's a pretty even divide between philly and pitt sports fans... i've gotta say hockey might be the worstthough, even worse than football. I'm really hoping both teams hold up their end of the deal to make it happen, it'd be a fun couple of weeks up herewhile that was going on.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JoeBonnano

Spot on, Newbs24.

Barry Melrose always acts as if he thinks Detroit is a good team, but he almost NEVER picks them to win. It's always boggled my mind. I can't understand why he's so pissed, he's a career .500 coach. I guess he thought since he coached Adirondack he should have gotten the nod. Dah well. @@!! him, too.

Anyway, back to the lecture at hand. Dan Ellis stopped what amounted to something like, ohhh.... 700 cases of pucks (I believe there are 100 per case) thrown at him by the Wings. Nashville plays better defense than the Avs, strictly basing things off the PP. Detroit will KILL the Avs on the PP. A team that has only an 81% PK is not really even close to the Wings. This series, if it goes over 5 games, will be solely on the passion of Sakic, Forsberg and Foote.

I picked wings in 6, but think this is really the Wings best chance to sweep a series.

Everyone got all excited about Minnesota, who was a top seed only because Calgary couldn't play with any consistency and Colorado spent most of its season on the injury list. Off their top line, 2/3 of which was extremely inconsistent all season, the entire team is a cast of no names..

Most expert predictions are pretty laughable, pointing to the Wings Old guys (but for some reason, not Forsberg, Sakic or Foote). Colorado has okay scoring but will be putting themselves in danger if they try to open it up against us. Their defense is slower and less puck proficient and their goaltending is every bit as likely to implode as Ozzie. In fact, Theodore could only dream of being as consistent as Osgood, and the defense of the Avs is not very good. Personally, I think the Nashville D was better at moving the puck and neutralizing odd man rushes.

As for reuniting the old gang, by the end of the Stevie-Shanny era I was begging for some new blood to come in and lead the team. Sakic may still be a gem but this team is not about to pull off one last hurrah. The supporting cast is nowhere close to the Tanguays the Drurys, the Lemieux, and Uwe Krupps of old...

The "experts" and Melrose don't like us, I think that's going to work in our favor, we almost never do well with supremely high expectations.

Normally I'd never quote myself, but I'm sorry... The thread, with all you East and West Coast Cats, got away from the real point of this thread...Detroit Rocks, and everyone else is playing for second place...

And to think I took Colorado over Detroit
laugh.gif
smh.gif
.........It was a much different series because of all the injuries the Av's had,but even if they were healthy it would've been a tough series to win. Ahhh well......Detroit has and always will be a powerhouse IMO, let's see how farthey go this year. If they meet Dallas in the final I think Dallas can give them a run for their money.
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

smh.gif
@ Pitts performance last night........just terrible. The better team won thatgame and now we're headed back to the Burgh for game 5 Sunday afternoon
pimp.gif
At leastthe Pens will be able to win it in front of their home crowd now
tongue.gif

Big game in SJ tonight.......I've got a feeling the Sharks will win tonight, but lose game 6 in Dallas.We shall see.......

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by areyouin729

Originally Posted by tab5039

I hope the Pens and Flyers meet in the ECF, that would be awesome considering I live in State College...I mean the war zone.
It gets pretty ugly with the Steelers and Eagles during the football season... but this will be insane.

FLYERS!

wow a Penn Stater...I graduated from PSU last year, what you up there for???
the Philly vs. Pittsburgh rivalry gets pretty serious up there, in 2004 when the Eagles played the Steelers in regular season it got ugly, they had cops holding sides back b/c om one side of Beaver Ave it was Eagles fans yelling across at Steelers fans and then people on the high rise apartments screaming from all angles

it evens gets as heated as Wawa vs. Sheetz
laugh.gif

Areyouin... are you forgetting me now? I'm the resident PSU'er here dawg.. born and raised.

Trust - living in the middle of the state, it's a pretty even divide between philly and pitt sports fans... i've gotta say hockey might be the worst though, even worse than football. I'm really hoping both teams hold up their end of the deal to make it happen, it'd be a fun couple of weeks up here while that was going on.
pimp.gif
def didnt forget about you...me, u and 4wrestling are the long standing PSU niketalkers on here

Anyone know why Jagr tucks in his jersey and looks like a tool? I know he didnt always do this and Im pretty sure it started with one side at first alaGretzky. It has always been such a minor thing, but drove me nuts every time I saw him. Maybe it makes it harder for opposing players to grab him?

I guess that's just his thing? I don't know.
laugh.gif

Nice game by Jagr (then again he's had a great series). Game 5 will be insanely difficult for the Rangers, but if they can somehow, someway....steal thatgame, it changes the outlook of the series IMO (heading back to NYC).

I hate how all it takes for a team is to win one game and all of a sudden the pressure is completely back on the team with the lead to close it out. Pensshould have nothing to worry about really if they take care of business... but it's nerve racking now, you don't want to be the team that blows a 3-0lead
laugh.gif

That theory goes for most match ups though. This game will be BY FAR the most difficult game for the Rangers to win. The goal tending will have to be flawlessand the defense will have to step up. I still think the series will end in Game 5, but if the Rangers somehow win.....going back to NY for a Game 6 reallychanges the dynamic of the series considering how it has gone so far.

Originally Posted by GingersAintBad

Anyone know why Jagr tucks in his jersey and looks like a tool? I know he didnt always do this and Im pretty sure it started with one side at first ala Gretzky. It has always been such a minor thing, but drove me nuts every time I saw him. Maybe it makes it harder for opposing players to grab him?
I don't know...I always say he should wear the jersey out so he can draw more penalties....Maybe he just likes it tucked in.......

Jagr been doing the full tuck......just his steez
laugh.gif

Sharks/Stars at 0's right now......gonna be an intense 2nd and 3rd periods.
pimp.gif

Spot on, Newbs24.

Barry Melrose always acts as if he thinks Detroit is a good team, but he almost NEVER picks them to win. It's always boggled my mind. I can't understand why he's so pissed, he's a career .500 coach. I guess he thought since he coached Adirondack he should have gotten the nod. Dah well. @@!! him, too.

Anyway, back to the lecture at hand. Dan Ellis stopped what amounted to something like, ohhh.... 700 cases of pucks (I believe there are 100 per case) thrown at him by the Wings. Nashville plays better defense than the Avs, strictly basing things off the PP. Detroit will KILL the Avs on the PP. A team that has only an 81% PK is not really even close to the Wings. This series, if it goes over 5 games, will be solely on the passion of Sakic, Forsberg and Foote.

I picked wings in 6, but think this is really the Wings best chance to sweep a series.

Everyone got all excited about Minnesota, who was a top seed only because Calgary couldn't play with any consistency and Colorado spent most of its season on the injury list. Off their top line, 2/3 of which was extremely inconsistent all season, the entire team is a cast of no names..

Most expert predictions are pretty laughable, pointing to the Wings Old guys (but for some reason, not Forsberg, Sakic or Foote). Colorado has okay scoring but will be putting themselves in danger if they try to open it up against us. Their defense is slower and less puck proficient and their goaltending is every bit as likely to implode as Ozzie. In fact, Theodore could only dream of being as consistent as Osgood, and the defense of the Avs is not very good. Personally, I think the Nashville D was better at moving the puck and neutralizing odd man rushes.

As for reuniting the old gang, by the end of the Stevie-Shanny era I was begging for some new blood to come in and lead the team. Sakic may still be a gem but this team is not about to pull off one last hurrah. The supporting cast is nowhere close to the Tanguays the Drurys, the Lemieux, and Uwe Krupps of old...

The "experts" and Melrose don't like us, I think that's going to work in our favor, we almost never do well with supremely high expectations.

Normally I'd never quote myself, but I'm sorry... The thread, with all you East and West Coast Cats, got away from the real point of this thread... Detroit Rocks, and everyone else is playing for second place...

smokin.gif

We're taking it this year, I got a damn good feeling. Same feeling as '02.

Go Wings.

Campbell
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Just potentially saved the San Jose Sharks season........
pimp.gif

Pass from Jeremy +%!+%% Roenick
pimp.gif

Going back to Dallas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pimp.gif

Pavelski picking that corner like it was nothing
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom