OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
more surprised that bleacher report broke news instead of making a top 10 slideshow that ill sit there and click through like an idiot
Only one really referenced so far is Elway 83

:lol:

'Do you have the app'? 'Proceed with slideshow'

You've caked for almost two decades with pick 199.

you do realize how idiotic it would be to actually plan to have this level of success with any draft pick, right?

No, it's not. Idiotic to expect success, yes. But plan for? No, not at all.

You PLAN to draft each player with the goal to coach them up, teach them to play at the NFL level, develop their skills, etc.

Every year, every draft.

Of course there will be fallout. Of course. Injuries, lazy, poor coaching, off field, lot of factors.

But you PLAN for each pick to work out perfectly.

Expect this kind of career from Brady? No, course not.
But plan for it, by coaching him everyday, teaching him, letting him learn and grow. That is what they did.

First year Brady was safe, handed off, nothing forced, team played to their strengths.
As he grew, they evolved their strategy. More throws, less runs, less cautious. He worked, he learned.

He didn't dominate college. He didn't dominate the Combine. He didn't even dominate as a young player. He grew with coaching. Now he dominates.

Same QB. Does 1999 Tom Brady have same career if he's drafted #1 after a trade up? :nerd:
Same player. Same skills. Same body, arm, brain, same results?

it's not planning to grab a franchise guy in the 6th round. it's understanding you can grab and develop a franchise QB outside of the top 10. and you can do it without giving up the next three years of tops picks.
we still have a top pick this year (2nd overall).. along with 6 other picks (the 2nd went in the Bradford trade, so not related to this)

2017: we have every other pick but our 1st

2018: we have every pick aside form our 2nd (so still have our top pick)

so 2 out of the next 3 drafts we have our "top pick".. the one we don't, we have the next highest

??? K. He was a supplemental pick, no?

Wes Welker was an UDFA. We traded him for a 2 and a 7. He's still an UDFA.

Young was a Supplemental pick, that doesn't change bro. :lol:

You've caked for almost two decades with pick 199.
you do realize how idiotic it would be to actually plan to have this level of success with any draft pick, right?
No, it's not. Idiotic to expect success, yes. But plan for? No, not at all.

You PLAN to draft each player with the goal to coach them up, teach them to play at the NFL level, develop their skills, etc.

Every year, every draft.

Of course there will be fallout. Of course. Injuries, lazy, poor coaching, off field, lot of factors.

But you PLAN for each pick to work out perfectly.

Expect this kind of career from Brady? No, course not.
But plan for it, by coaching him everyday, teaching him, letting him learn and grow. That is what they did.

First year Brady was safe, handed off, nothing forced, team played to their strengths.
As he grew, they evolved their strategy. More throws, less runs, less cautious. He worked, he learned.

He didn't dominate college. He didn't dominate the Combine. He didn't even dominate as a young player. He grew with coaching. Now he dominates.

Same QB. Does 1999 Tom Brady have same career if he's drafted #1 after a trade up?
nerd.gif

Same player. Same skills. Same body, arm, brain, same results?
name the grand list of starting 6th round QBs

pats won the super bowl brady's 2nd year in the league

Young was a Supplemental pick, that doesn't change bro.
laugh.gif
actually it does.. an entire league folded..

reggie white was drafted then too

this wasn't some random guy who had some sort of issue in college.. from the very 1st link:

"Young's other choice was to go No. 1 overall in the 1984 NFL Draft to the Cincinnati Bengals, but the Bengals were only offering him $3.5 million, according to a Sports Illustrated article from March 1984. The $3.5 million wasn't even guaranteed -- Young would get a $1 million signing bonus and a five-year nonguaranteed contract at $500,000 per year."

Last edited:
[thread="629840"]Quote:[/thread]

this wasn't some random guy who had some sort of issue in college.. from the very 1st link:

"Young's other choice was to go No. 1 overall in the 1984 NFL Draft to the Cincinnati Bengals, but the Bengals were only offering him $3.5 million, according to a Sports Illustrated article from March 1984. The $3.5 million wasn't even guaranteed -- Young would get a $1 million signing bonus and a five-year nonguaranteed contract at $500,000 per year."

Repped.

[thread="629840"]Quote:[/thread]

Again, was he drafted in the NFL draft, or the supplemental?

What is the answer? Supplemental.

I don't care where he "would" have been drafted. :lol: What you wanna do next, Aaron Rodgers "should" have went #1 over Alex Smith?

Bottom line, Young went supplemental, 9ers got him years later, and even more years later before he even started for them. They didn't trade up to take him #1 or #2 or #3 or #4 etc etc etc.

Are those accurate statements or not?

it doesnt have to be 6th round tho. the point is it doesn't have to be a top 10 pick where you trade away 4 or 5 picks.

and for the eagles it's even worse, they don't even know which guy they're getting. they have an idea i'm sure, but it's not definite. of course, they might think both guys are going to be stellar, so that point might be moot

it doesnt have to be 6th round tho. the point is it doesn't have to be a top 10 pick where you trade away 4 or 5 picks.

and for the eagles it's even worse, they don't even know which guy they're getting. they have an idea i'm sure, but it's not definite. of course, they might think both guys are going to be stellar, so that point might be moot

They know which guy they are getting, Rams def wink, wink'ed them

Pats fans got the biggest steal in the history of the NFL so it's easy to say you don't need a first rounder

Last edited:
"Sausage or pepperoni"

Cause of statements like that is reasons why Philadelphia isn't raising any Lombardi trophys.

and I'm not even generally opposed to @CP1708  viewpoint on developing QBs..

which is why I'm glad we'll have Bradford or Daniel in place to mostly be the starter at the beginning of the season (always a chance he wins the job in camp).. hopefully we can get a pick(s) for one of them, to help recoup the picks traded away

also glad we put resources through the draft and free agency into our Oline and receiving core

but then you get stuff like this:
But there are college football junkies on this board. Die hards. Not a one of em ever watched a minute of Carson Wentz. Now he's goin #2 in the NFL draft. At the cost of several draft picks.

I find that ridiculous.
kid was invited to the senior bowl for a reason.. and even then A TON of prospects from big and small schools rise (or fall) after that week of practices.. once they get a chance to be exposed to the guys, scouts and coaches then go back and look at the film work and see what does or doesn't match up with the film

also not opposed to his views on valuing picks.. which is why I'm also glad, we didn't pull one of these:

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.co...-draft-saints-ricky-williams-mike-ditka-trade

we traded 5 picks.. and received 2 in return

3 of those 5 picks are in a year in which we had 10 picks.. so we will go into the draft with 7, which is how much each team is usuaully allotted

they supposedly know, which is why they made the deal.. obviously I'm not in the building, but the beat reporters have said as much

just not being reported.. remember this:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/28/nf...-cbs-fox-nbc-espn-nfl-draft-tv-times-listings

Last edited:
Best winning percentages over the past 10 years as of 2015:

Patriots - Brady
Colts - Luck/Manning
Steelers - Big Ben
Packers - Rodgers
Chargers - Rivers

1st round QB's being hit on show you why teams go for it

Best winning percentages over the past 10 years as of 2015:

Patriots - Brady
Colts - Luck/Manning
Steelers - Big Ben
Packers - Rodgers
Chargers - Rivers

1st round QB's being hit on show you why teams go for it

You're arguing a different topic.

I didn't say you can't draft Rd 1. I said you don't have to trade into the top 3-5.

Ben was 11. Rodgers 24. Marino 27. Brady, Montana, Russ later etc etc.

That's the debate. You could have just as easily taken a QB at 8 and kept your picks. That's the point. Not never take one in Rd 1.

I didn't say you can't draft Rd 1. I said you don't have to trade into the top 3-5.

That's the debate. You could have just as easily taken a QB at 8 and kept your picks. That's the point. Not never take one in Rd 1.

If the QB isn't going to be there at 8 then you can't

Dolphins stayed at 8 and took Tannehill, you telling me you wouldn't have rather traded up for Luck?

If you say no then this convo is a bunch of BS

but then you get stuff like this:

But there are college football junkies on this board. Die hards. Not a one of em ever watched a minute of Carson Wentz. Now he's goin #2 in the NFL draft. At the cost of several draft picks.

I find that ridiculous.

kid was invited to the senior bowl for a reason.. and even then A TON of prospects from big and small schools rise (or fall) after that week of practices.. once they get a chance to be exposed to the guys, scouts and coaches then go back and look at the film work and see what does or doesn't match up with the film

the die hard comment was a little funny. not saying dudes in the CFB thread aren't knowledgeable but from what I gathered most people don't even really watch teams outside of the power 5, so yeah of course they're not watching FCS football.

actually it's not.. but this does explain a lot

actually it's not.. but this does explain a lot

What???!!!?!?!?!?! :lol: That was my point POST ONE. :lol:

It would be more accurate to fit Steve Young into the first round bust/reclamation project list with Plunkett and Testaverde than to claim he wasnt a high draft pick.

Again Montana, Brady and Marino got to be coached by the person directly responsible for drafting them. Hall of Fame coaches at that. That dynamic isnt around in the NFL as much anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom