OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
by CP's model it's easy to find a franchise QB, get them anywhere

John Beck, Chad Henne and Pat White are a shining testament to that model

Yep @SneakerPro These personnel decisions are these GMs jobs.

That's lost on some of these guys.

Most of the NFL power structures now is divided with the GM getting the players and the coaches just coaching the players.

Sure there are quarterbacks picked later in the draft who become successful but you have to look at some of the reasons why.

Some of them were picked by a guy who coached them...Montana, Brady, Marino.

(Marino was drafted to team that made the Super Bowl a year and was coached by an already established HOF head coach)

There's not many power structures left where the coach picks and coaches the draft picks. That's makes GMs reclutant to pick quarterback prospects later in the draft considering they won't be able to coach them directly.

Other non first round guys got to sit and watch for a season or two...Montana, Rodgers,Brady, Brees and Romo.

The only non first round guys that come to mind that came in to play immediately with sucess were Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton.

Likely if you pick a quarterback out of the first round you likely need time to develop them for a season or two and most GMs don't have time to do that.

Last edited:
by CP's model it's easy to find a franchise QB, get them anywhere

John Beck, Chad Henne and Pat White are a shining testament to that model

Who even needs a draft?!

Kurt Warner was undrafted.. Jason peters, undrafted.. John randle, undrafted.. Arian foster, undrafted.. Cameron wake, undrafted.. Wes welker, undrafted.. Warren moon.. Tony romo

Some of them were picked by a guy who coached them...Montana, Brady, Marino.

(Marino was drafted to team that made the Super Bowl a year and was coached by an already established HOF head coach)

Other non first round guys got to sit and watch for a season or two...Montana, Rodgers,Brady, Brees and Romo.

The only non first round guys that come to mind that came in to play immediately with sucess were Russell Wilson and Andy Dalton.

Marino dropped because of drug rumors going around pre draft, still went 1st round (27th overall)

Rodgers went 24th overall

Andy dalton was the 3rd pick of the 2nd round

Last edited:
I said when Hue was hired I was slightly nervous. I think he does good work. That said, I'm slightly more worried after the picks. But I've been nervous before with Cleveland and the progress they we're going to show. Holmgren had me convinced. Still in the end it's failed so until proven otherwise....

Schefter (I think it was him) said Norman wants to be out West in Cali
nerd.gif
peace out...Cant wait for him to match up vs KB in week 2. 

Who even needs a draft?!

Kurt Warner was undrafted.. Jason peters, undrafted.. John randle, undrafted.. Arian foster, undrafted.. Cameron wake, undrafted.. Wes welker, undrafted.. Warren moon.. Tony romo
:lol: you guys are gonna defend the move your team made. We get it.

I'm rationalizing the move.. That's different from defending it

There are things that intrigue me about wentz as a prospect (size, arm strength, mobility and smarts).. And there are things that concern me (level of competition he played against)

But we've seen guys with all the tools fail because they just didn't have it upstairs for whatever reason.. See tom Brady succeeding and drew Henson failing even though he was can't miss in 2 sports

Would I prefer to have deshuan Watson, abosolutely.. But he isn't in this draft.. And he'll go 1st in whatever draft he's in and guess what the Eagles won't have that pick and the team that does won't trade it

I get why the move was made.. Also a lot of dumb things are being said, so I'm using this as an opportunity to respond to those comments

Last edited:
It's much like Seattle fans getting defensive when Russell wasn't allowed in the Peyton/Brady/Rodgers tier and they discredit one of the greatest defense ever to play

Last edited:
Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)
43 mins ago - View on Twitter
Other teams that have expressed interest in CB Josh Norman include the Bucs, Jets, Bears and Titans.

Were you against the RG3 trade when it happened after years of searching for a franchise QB?
Nope, though I thought it was way too much to give up at the time. I was also against drafting Cousins. Looks like I was wrong on both accounts. All I said was you were gonna defend the move. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm rationalizing the move.. That's different from defending it

There are things that intrigue me about wentz as a prospect (size, arm strength, mobility and smarts).. And there are things that concern me (level of competition he played against)

But we've seen guys with all the tools fail because they just didn't have it upstairs for whatever reason.. See tom Brady succeeding and drew Henson failing even though he was can't miss in 2 sports

Would I prefer to have deshuan Watson, abosolutely.. But he isn't in this draft.. And he'll go 1st in whatever draft he's in and guess what the Eagles won't have that pick and the team that does won't trade it

I get why the move was made.. Also a lot of dumb things are being said, so I'm using this as an opportunity to respond to those comments
Okay, I wasn't talking about your other posts. I quoted the one I was referring to. "Who needs a draft?!" Doesn't come off as someone who is rationalizing a move, it sounds like someone who is defending it because others don't think your team made a good trade. You can rationalize/defend the move all you want. All I said was we get it.

I am defending the move because I have never seen a SB Championship and the one franchise QB we had at least gave us a chance year after year

if it blows up and Wentz sucks, it is what is it but I am all in for trying to obtain the QB the caliber of McNabb again

I said when Hue was hired I was slightly nervous. I think he does good work. That said, I'm slightly more worried after the picks. But I've been nervous before with Cleveland and the progress they we're going to show. Holmgren had me convinced. Still in the end it's failed so until proven otherwise....
He obviously has no track record in football, but dePodesta is a very smart man. Hopefully he turns the franchise around.

Okay, I wasn't talking about your other posts. I quoted the one I was referring to. "Who needs a draft?!" Doesn't come off as someone who is rationalizing a move, it sounds like someone who is defending it because others don't think your team made a good trade. You can rationalize/defend the move all you want. All I said was we get it.

Was being sarcastic.. It's asinine to think there is no need for a draft, which I thought was pretty obvious

How amazing would it be with no draft. Teams just going wild trying to lure the prospects to them :lol:

Last edited:
I'll never understand the salary cap. How the hell can the Jets be looking at him? We've heard during the offseason how screwed they are.

Wouldn't mind seeing Norman in Washington. ODB would roast him yearly.

Last edited:
Jets writers already said it was just due diligence.

But if we really were serious about signing Norman it's possible. We'd have to get a verbal agreement with him now & trade Wilkerson for draft picks to free up ~$16M.

I think Josh is overrated.

That defense as a unit was great.

Might **** around and end up like Maxwell after the Hawks.

ODB made that man look silly 1v1.

Seems the 49ers are the team that will land Norman

They won't. Niners are just trying to act like they are doing their due diligence to keep the fan base happy.

Niners won't be competitive for three years. Why overpay for a guy who will be 31+ years old when they can start being competitive again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom