OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth of matter is hitting a on franchise quarterback lets you keep your job and even if you build a solid roster but you are missing a quarterback you are going to get fired.

Ya boy Andrew Luck got Ryan Grigson 7 years as an NFL GM while me and you could probably build a better roster.

The man that traded a 1st for Trent Richardson has a contract through 2019.
Excellent, excellent point. Best thing you said in the back-and-forth.

The all you need is a QB mindset CP always makes fun of is an extreme that I don't agree with.

But thinking that all you gotta do is build up the rest of the team (and not factoring how long that'll take or the coach/GM's job security) while being ho hum about the QB position ain't what's best for business. 

The QB has never been just another guy. You stumble onto one of those top 10, top 15 guys and they automatically make your job a lot easier + keep you around longer as well. Grigson's bum *** is the perfect example.

I like the Eagles trade a lot more than the Rams trade. Not counting the picks they swapped, Philly spread out the early round picks they gave up over 3 years. That's a worthwhile gamble to take for the most important position in the entire sport. You get it right on that particular player and guess what happens? We'll look back years from now and say it was straight robbery, call them geniuses, etc.

Last edited:
i know the past is the past but off the top of their head (i could look it up so not trying to make anyone look it up :lol: )....anyone have a couple examples of a big trade like this panning out long term? i say long term because of the example JJs just pointed out with RG3

Last edited:
Has there even really been that many big trades to grab a QB?

RG3 is really the only one I can think of

If they did this for any other position then I would be pissed plus they spaced this out over 3 years

Last edited:
If you're going to give up that many picks to take a QB, you better damn well be sure that the guy you're getting is either going to be elite, or franchise material. And from looking around the league, where average/mediocre QBs are king, it's probably a safer bet to say that these big trades will not work out.

We've been asking since the Rams/Titans trade, "when has a deal like this ever worked out?" and the best response we have is "Falcons-Browns trade that landed Julio" ..

i know the past is the past but off the top of their head (i could look it up so not trying to make anyone look it up :lol: )....anyone have a couple examples of a big trade like this panning out long term? i say long term because of the example JJs just pointed out with RG3

I'm just thinking, if you are going to trade all of that for a QB, why not have gotten Mariota last year instead of Wentz. Mariota was a more proven QB and easier sell to fans and even other players.

Wentz is like Kristaps Prozingis. Drafting him will either make you look like a genius, or have you run out the city.

And from looking around the league, where average/mediocre QBs are king, it's probably a safer bet to say that these big trades will not work out.
I'm starting to believe the average/medicore to good qbs ratio hasn't changed like people think.

I just think the game has just put waaay too much of your chances to win on the Qb.

If that makes any sense.

I'm just thinking, if you are going to trade all of that for a QB, why not have gotten Mariota last year instead of Wentz. Mariota was a more proven QB and easier sell to fans and even other players.

Wentz is like Kristaps Prozingis. Drafting him will either make you look like a genius, or have you run out the city.

And every Knick fan hated that pick and every other fan laughed at them

There's no telling what Wentz will be but I don't think you can compare trading for a QB to trading for any other position, it's not the same

If you're going to give up that many picks to take a QB, you better damn well be sure that the guy you're getting is either going to be elite, or franchise material.
This is what's key. They have to get it right. If they truly believe after all their analysis that _____ will end up being one of those guys? Then it's a no brainer.

If they're wrong, they'll be out of a job in 3 years.

There's not a lot of great history on trading up for a QB and having it work out well. That wouldn't deter me from doing it though if I TRULY thought so and so will be a franchise QB. You just have to get it right.

The best example out of the bunch is probably the Falcons trading up from #5 for Michael Vick. They hit on the player and got that right.

But the Chargers also got it right on the #5 pick...LT.

Then the Chargers went and drafted some guy named Drew Brees with the first selection of the 2nd Round that year...

Last edited:
i dunno if this was mentioned or factored in but football wise its probably a better decision to have draft picks than betting the house on a seemingly unproven quarterback.

but from a business side, which is more so what the NFL has become, its a no brainer.

you can argue that maybe once a decade if that, you have the opportunity to land a young high profile QB thats going to fill seats, sell jerseys and give their fans that warm fuzzy feeling of potentially having one of the IT guys.

that cant be replaced and i think thats what the eagles and DEFINITELY the rams are going for. rams more so starting in a new city.

The truth of matter is hitting a on franchise quarterback lets you keep your job and even if you build a solid roster but you are missing a quarterback you are going to get fired.

Ya boy Andrew Luck got Ryan Grigson 7 years as an NFL GM while me and you could probably build a better roster.

The man that traded a 1st for Trent Richardson has a contract through 2019.

Excellent, excellent point. Best thing you said in the back-and-forth.

The all you need is a QB mindset CP always makes fun of is an extreme that I don't agree with.

But thinking that all you gotta do is build up the rest of the team (and not factoring how long that'll take or the coach/GM's job security) while being ho hum about the QB position ain't what's best for business. 

The QB has never been just another guy. You stumble onto one of those top 10, top 15 guys and they automatically make your job a lot easier + keep you around longer as well. Grigson's bum *** is the perfect example.

I like the Eagles trade a lot more than the Rams trade. Not counting the picks they swapped, Philly spread out the early round picks they gave up over 3 years. That's a worthwhile gamble to take for the most important position in the entire sport. You get it right on that particular player and guess what happens? We'll look back years from now and say it was straight robbery, call them geniuses, etc.

I'm truly stunned that you of all people believe this. You've caked for almost two decades with pick 199.

Green Bay went 91-2016 with a 2nd Rd guy and #24.

San Fran won 5 and went to 6 with a 3rd, a supplemental, and a 2nd. The 2 first rounders they took busted in Alex and Drukenmiller.

Pitt got multiple SB's with #11

Seattle was a yard away from back to back with a 3rd.

None of these teams traded multiple picks over multiple drafts to move up and draft complete reaches.

And I don't grasp, at all, GM's justifying THEIR JOBS to reach for one position over simply drafting the best talents and sorting the pieces out as you proceed.

They give up all these pieces, all the energy, then follow up with 3 diff head coaches, or 6 OC's in 7 years, etc. That's not how you develop such a "prized" piece of a teams future. But it happens all the time.

Eagles go from Foles to Bradford to Wentz just like that.
Rams go Bradford to Foles to Goff
Jets go Sanchez to Geno to Fitzpatrick
Bills go Manuel to Fitzpatrick to Tyrod
Browns go Weeden to Hoyer to Manziel, McCown etc

Such an important position, yet tossed like a paper towel. Who is actually working and developing these guys? How does one expect to develop getting rag dolled like that?

Kap goes to SB, benched 18 months later.

It's not the position, it's the stupidity of these teams getting in their own way.

You of all fanbases's should know this as well as anyone.

You've caked for almost two decades with pick 199.
you do realize how idiotic it would be to actually plan to have this level of success with any draft pick, right?

3 QBs in the history of football have won the super bowl 4 times.. brady, Montana and bradshaw

most teams are just hoping they can get a solid special teamer in the 6th round

it's not planning to grab a franchise guy in the 6th round. it's understanding you can grab and develop a franchise QB outside of the top 10. and you can do it without giving up the next three years of tops picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom